Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Leaving Molinaseca

Time of past OR future Camino
August-September 2024
Tomorrow I head to Albergue Alea in Ponferrada. It's not in the main town, but rather to the east a bit. I see that after Molinaseca there is an option to continue along 142 or to head further south past Campo. From what I'm reading the southern route is longer but nicer. I don't see anything telling me how much longer and based on the location of Alb. Alea, I wonder if just sticking along 142 or the northern route would be wiser. Any opinions out there from anyone who has perhaps stayed here before? Thanks! Buen Camino 🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Tomorrow I head to Albergue Alea in Ponferrada.
I know you've already started and this is too late but I decided to play around with Mapy.cz a bit this morning (it's 7:20 here now). The Southern route from the track divergence point through Campo to Albergue Alea is twice as long as the northern route, 3.6 miles versus 1.8 (or 5.8 km versus 2.9).

I know you've already started and this is too late but I decided to play around with Mapy.cz a bit this morning (it's 7:20 here now). The Southern route from the track divergence point through Campo to Albergue Alea is twice as long as the northern route, 3.6 miles versus 1.8 (or 5.8 km versus 2.9).
Wow! I ended up on the shorter route, all paved.... Body aches and hips hurt. No idea if 3 extra km possibly would have been better. Either way, I'm hear now. Gracias!

Yeah, I ended up on that longer route cause some other pilgrims told me it was almost the same distance. It wasn't. It isn't very scenic either and there were no places to stop for a drink or snack. The day just seemed to go on forever.

I ended up on that longer route cause some other pilgrims told me it was almost the same distance.
Brierley's guidebook says that the difference in distance between the two routes to the castle is 0.9 km. However taking the southern route to Albergue Alea instead of the castle means you have to go further north and then head back to the east, thus the extra distance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back