• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late taxi

Tony Maguire

Time of past OR future Camino
20th August 2014
I will be arriving into burgos by ALSA at 3..15 AM on a Sunday in September. My wife will be in Hornillios at this time and I want to try and get a taxi from bus station at this time to join her and then walk to Castrojeriz.
Anybody know what taxi situation is like at this time at Burgos bus station.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also have a question about taxis in more remote parts of the camino. Looking forward to see the answers.

(My situation is I want to go to a restaurant for dinner about 23 km away from the camino (Najera or Ventosa to Eltziego and back before the albergues lock the doors. Hmm, maybe I should book a private place that night.)

I also have a question about taxis in more remote parts of the camino. Looking forward to see the answers.

(My situation is I want to go to a restaurant for dinner about 23 km away from the camino (Najera or Ventosa to Eltziego and back before the albergues lock the doors. Hmm, maybe I should book a private place that night.)
That's a 46km taxi ride if you return. I think it will be a very expensive dinner, but maybe you don't care.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Do a Google search for Taxi Nájera. you will find at least three options with phone numbers listed. Contact them via WhatsApp and you should be able to set something up. it may be more economical to have the Taxi just stay there while you eat instead of having two separate trips.

I will be arriving into burgos by ALSA at 3..15 AM on a Sunday in September. My wife will be in Hornillios at this time and I want to try and get a taxi from bus station at this time to join her and then walk to Castrojeriz.
Do the same thing that I suggested in the above post and you will find a lot of Taxi options in Burgos. If you are worried about availability at that time in the morning, I would WhatsApp several of them to see what they say. You could probably for a fixed time pick up.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You will definitely need a private room. Why not stay near the restaurant then taxi back in the morning?

Do a Google search for Taxi Nájera. you will find at least three options with phone numbers listed. Contact them via WhatsApp and you should be able to set something up. it may be more economical to have the Taxi just stay there while you eat instead of having two separate trips.
This response is incredibly helpful. I now understand the process setting me on the right path. Not only that, but also for any future taxi needs in Spain. Thank you!

You will definitely need a private room. Why not stay near the restaurant then taxi back in the morning?
Great idea. I will see what is available. I did get a hold of the highest rated taxi guy and the taxi was 35 EU. It costs more than that for me to uber downtown a whole 6 miles from my house on a Friday night. So....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

My suggestions is to stick close to the Camino and find places to eat within walking distance of your accommodations. Taxi drivers can be very unreliable.

Taxi drivers can be very unreliable.
Are you referring to Spain or taxi drivers in general? I’ve booked several trips in advance to get to visigothic churches and Romanesque monasteries that were 20+ km off-camino from where I was spending the night. I’ve had great service and have been able to book in advance. Once on the castellano-aragonés I had booked a cab to get me to the start of a gorge that was off-camino, but they called me the day before to say there had been a death in the family and they wouldn’t be driving. Totally understandable and unpredictable but not unreliable!

Burgos has a few taxi companies. There’s a stop a few meters away from the bus station (just go left as you exit the station) and turn left at the corner- they’re usually parked there) But since you’re arriving on a Sunday and quite late you may to call and ask for one ( +34 947 27 77 77) - you may have to wait a bit but you should be fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Are you referring to Spain or taxi drivers in general? I’ve booked several trips in advance to get to visigothic churches and Romanesque monasteries that were 20+ km off-camino from where I was spending the night. I’ve had great service and have been able to book in advance. Once on the castellano-aragonés I had booked a cab to get me to the start of a gorge that was off-camino, but they called me the day before to say there had been a death in the family and they wouldn’t be driving. Totally understandable and unpredictable but not unreliable!
Laurie, I was not dissing taxi drivers because I know they can be great guides. It was just the notion of taking a taxi off route to find a restaurant and then find your way back later in the day.

Great idea. I will see what is available. I did get a hold of the highest rated taxi guy and the taxi was 35 EU. It costs more than that for me to uber downtown a whole 6 miles from my house on a Friday night. So....
Was that a one-way ride or round trip? If a round trip, not too bad a price.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Round trip!
35€ for a 46km taxi ride including the 1-2 hour wait time while you enjoy your dinner? That’s TOO good of a deal to be true….

Having just spent a month in Spain, taxis along the Camino were averaging about 1.5k€ per km, not including waiting time. You either found the cheapest taxi driver in Iberia or he misunderstood your request.

If you return later at night the return rate may be higher than €35. I agree that the rate of €35 with waiting time may not be accurate! I would reconfirm the rate equated each way!

I think a private albergue would be better and you should have the owner try to arrange a taxi for you to get back before you go. If you are going to a small town and expect to find a taxi at night you may have a problem.

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
35€ for a 46km taxi ride including the 1-2 hour wait time while you enjoy your dinner? That’s TOO good of a deal to be true….

Having just spent a month in Spain, taxis along the Camino were averaging about 1.5k€ per km, not including waiting time. You either found the cheapest taxi driver in Iberia or he misunderstood your request.
Without a doubt!

My situation is I want to go to a restaurant for dinner about 23 km away from the camino (Najera or Ventosa to Eltziego and back before the albergues lock the doors
I hadn’t noticed that you wanted to be back from dinner before the albergues lock the doors. I can’t imagine that any Michelin starred Restaurant is going to serve dinner before 830 or nine. Unless you plan to snarf it down in a half an hour, I think the best option would be to either spend the night in Eltziego or get a private place in Nájera.

And agree that the €35 charge is way too low to include waiting in town for two hours or more and then the return trip. My guess is that it’s the one-way charge. I think it’s worth some confirmation communication to avoid an unpleasant misunderstanding.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hadn’t noticed that you wanted to be back from dinner before the albergues lock the doors. I can’t imagine that any Michelin starred Restaurant is going to serve dinner before 830 or nine. Unless you plan to snarf it down in a half an hour, I think the best option would be to either spend the night in Eltziego or get a private place in Nájera.

And agree that the €35 charge is way too low to include waiting in town for two hours or more and then the return trip. My guess is that it’s the one-way charge. I think it’s worth some confirmation communication to avoid an unpleasant misunderstanding.
I put up the original post here looking to book a taxi from burgos to Hornillios on a Sunday at 3.15 in the morning. Im getting qoutes of around €200

I booked private lodging in Najera, so that is sorted. I was pretty specific, but agree, I should confirm. Since the restaurant is at a hotel, I could probably also ask them to call me a taxi for the return? Hmm. I feel committed to this idea of going to dinner there now. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I put up the original post here looking to book a taxi from burgos to Hornillios on a Sunday at 3.15 in the morning. Im getting qoutes of around €200
Hi, the mornings are dark in Spain in Sep until quite late, otherwise you could maybe just start walking if the street lights are on enough to see the way, and hopefully come across an open café for breakfast on the main road around the university to while away the time a bit. Then you could get a taxi from Tardajos (about 11kms from Burgos) for the last 8kms to Hornillos. P.S. It was slightly annoying to see your thread hijacked in the very next post. I hope it works out OK.

Hi, the mornings are dark in Spain in Sep until quite late, otherwise you could maybe just start walking if the street lights are on enough to see the way, and hopefully come across an open café for breakfast on the main road around the university to while away the time a bit. Then you could get a taxi from Tardajos (about 11kms from Burgos) for the last 8kms to Hornillos. P.S. It was slightly annoying to see your thread hijacked in the very next post. I hope it works out OK.
Thanks, I am on my 7th Camino Frances and walking is an option that Ive considered. The thing is I am meeting other people who start out from Hornillios that morning so I was looking to grab a taxi. Get to albergue around 3 45 where we have private rooms booked and get a few hours sleep before walking to Castrojeriz. It is looking like I will have to walk straight off the bus all the way to Castro.

Learn proper bathroom protocol on the Camino and share this info with other pilgrims.
Thanks, I am on my 7th Camino Frances and walking is an option that Ive considered. The thing is I am meeting other people who start out from Hornillios that morning so I was looking to grab a taxi. Get to albergue around 3 45 where we have private rooms booked and get a few hours sleep before walking to Castrojeriz. It is looking like I will have to walk straight off the bus all the way to Castro.
What about getting a quote for a taxi at 8am, rather than at 3.15am? If it’s then a normal rate, start searching for somewhere to kip for 4 hours? I had to take some taxis last year and was finding that they now cost about 2 euros per kilometre, compared to 1 euro per kilometre pre-covid.

Most read last week in this forum

Note from mods: The initial confusion about Gronze’s plans to close sparked a bit of worry. To clarify, only the interactive user forum is closing, and NOT the website with the camino stages and...
Phil and I are in Alaska on a 3 month long camping adventure and we keep meeting Camino pilgrims or people who want to be Camino pilgrims. We have a shell sticker on our pickup topper window...
I am going to fly back from Santander. I would like to take the FEVE along the coast from A Coruna or Ferol to Santander. Previously when I have asked RENFE staff about FEVE I have drawn a blank...
Hi Everyone New to this forum and appreciating it. I arrive in Bilbao on 28th August at around 9.30 am and planning to get to SJPD in one day. The alternatives, I've researched so far include a...
ALSA appears to end bus service from Pamplona on Oct 10. Now planning to take the Artieda bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles arriving at 14:40. Would love to share a taxi to SJPdP. And to know...
I'm just about to start my journey tomorrow 25th June flying into Bilbao which arrives in the afternoon hope to out of the airport by 3/30pm . Planning to catch a coach a from Bilbao via San...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back