• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Late flight into Porto - where to stay?

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2024
I’m counting down the days and would like to make a reservation for the first night after flying into Porto.

Our flight arrives late in the evening. Any suggestions for where to stay (hotel or albergue) that is close to the airport and easy to get to around 10-11 pm? I would think a hotel is more practical, since it will be so late and after lights-out in a shared space.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
On our first trip to Porto, due to connection problems, we arrived 12 hours late into Porto around midnight. Even at that hour, catching a taxi to the center of the city was no problem (although certainly more expensive than taking the metro as we had planned for our anticipated noon arrival). So, if you want to get downtown let me recommend staying at the Passenger Hostel located right in the Sao Bento Train Station and literally right down the street from the Sé where you can begin your Camino the next day if that is your plan. Bom Caminho!

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
There is a hotel at the airport (Park Hotel). Standard business class and functional. Advantage is that you can start your walk from there if you don't need to go to Porto Cathedral for a sello/credential. Use Metro, taxi or Uber.

If you want a hostel, then the Sandeman on the waterfront is very pleasant. You can walk to the Cathedral in the morning.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for the replies. This is helpful information and gives me some ideas. I can be flexible and make adjustments when I travel (in fact, just recently I was stuck in an airport overnight and had to make do). However, after a long day of travel to a country I’ve never visited before, I would rather arrive with a good plan! 🙂

I did just stay for similar reasons at the OPO hotel -- they include shuttle service, have a reasonable dining room if you need it, and they offer breakfast as a buffet if you need that before setting out the next day.
French and English as well as Portuguese spoken by the staff.
large, clean room and a great bathroom.
I stayed here as well when I had an early morning flight, and I also recommend it.

I’m counting down the days and would like to make a reservation for the first night after flying into Porto.

Our flight arrives late in the evening. Any suggestions for where to stay (hotel or albergue) that is close to the airport and easy to get to around 10-11 pm? I would think a hotel is more practical, since it will be so late and after lights-out in a shared space.
I stayed at the Hotel Opohotel Porto Aeroporto. It was right across the street from the airport basically. It was 76Euro. I had an early flight home after the Camino and wanted to be close to the airport. It was a good value and the location was perfect. There was a shuttle from the hotel to the airport

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

I stayed at the Hotel Aeroporto, a 5 minute walk near the airport. I’ve stayed there at least twice. You walk up the road (N107-1) leaving airport, it’s the 1st road to the left and down that street a short distance. It was late afternoon, I checked in. Left my stuff in the room and walked 10 miles. On the Camino, then took a train back to the hotel and the morning I took the train back to where I left off. At the end of the trip, I stayed at the same hotel, I had an early flight and it was easy to walk to the airport to leave.

If you want to walk toward the center of Porto, you could do the same thing, walk to the city and catch the metro back toward the hotel. There are a couple of metro station choices that are a 5-10 min walk to the hotel. I spent 6 days in Porto at the end of my 1st Camino and did enough walking around Porto, that I didn’t feel the need to walk toward the city center when I walked the coastal route, I was happy to just start walking the Portuguese Camino from the hotel. I had a decent breakfast buffet at the hotel before walking out that 1st morning.

Ik tel de dagen af en wil graag een reservering maken voor de eerste nacht nadat ik in Porto ben aangekomen.

Onze vlucht komt laat in de avond aan. Heb je suggesties voor een verblijfplaats (hotel of albergue) die dicht bij het vliegveld ligt en makkelijk te bereiken is rond 22.00-23.00 uur? Ik denk dat een hotel praktischer is, omdat het zo laat is en na zonsondergang in een gedeelde ruimte.
Top Porto! Is een aanrader! Loopafstand van metrostation Sao Bento en in het oude centrum. Ze werken met codes bij de buiten-en binnendeur.

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island

Most read last week in this forum

Is there any way I can send my backpack with a service like Jacotrans to an albergue if I’m staying in a different place? Is that considered bad form? My problem is that Jacotrans doesn’t offer...
Hi all, I'm in the process of booking train tickets for my way home after I finish the Primitivo in August. Generally, I'm okay navigating the Renfe website, but am looking for help from the...
I’m counting down the days and would like to make a reservation for the first night after flying into Porto. Our flight arrives late in the evening. Any suggestions for where to stay (hotel or...
Apart from the obvious answer of … take a taxi… does anyone know if there are other options on how to arrive in Roncesvalles. I’ll explain. I arrive in Bilbao (airport) at 10.35am on a Wednesday...
RENFE has launched a promo today for their new Avlo high-speed low-cost train service from Vigo-Madrid and A Coruna-Madrid (with a stop in Santiago de Compostela) with tickets as low as 7 euros...
Hello my fellow Pilgrams, I will be walking the Camino Portugues Coastal Route with a group which finishes Oct 14th this year. I would like to carry on by myself to San Sebastian de Garabandal...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back