• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Dear all, Tuesday morning (Santigo time) we will be upgrading the forum to a new version. This means that we will be offline for an hour or so. This will be so for the app and for the website. Thank you for your patience. Ivar
  • Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

La Casa de Lorenzo de Tejada, Santo Domingo de la Calzada

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
The house of Lorenzo de Tejada, SDdlC, is also known as the House of The Lords of Cirujeda. On the Rioja tourism site [lariojaturismo.com], and 515 more, it says that the house was built in 1840. On several [6] other websites it says that the house was built in 1681. I have found that Lorenzo de Tejada "was one of the four oidores/judges of the Audiencia de México during the viceroyalty of don Antonio de Mendoza. He served in that position from 1537 till 1552. He was a native of Santo Domingo de la Calzada," [https://coronado.unm.edu/node/8679] It seems unbelievable that a house built perhaps 100 years after his death should bear his name. It is even more unbelievable that a house built almost 300 tears after his death should bear his name. The house looks much older than a house built in 1840. Its other name is said to be [lariojaturismo.com] because for almost two centuries it was the location of the pharmacy run by the Cirujeda family. If the house was built in 1840, it cannot have been a pharmacy for almost 200 years, as we are a long way from 2040.
I have put my questions to the Ayuntamiento of SDdlC today, but while I wait for a reply, I thought I'd see if there are any experts on the forum who can explain the various names and dates.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

When I ended my first camino in Leon due to illness in 2022, I came to peace with it and decided it WAS my full camino and I was also certain I was one and done. I told everyone exactly that- I...
I feel like the more time that passes, the further I am from my Camino, which is kind of sad. I did this really hard and meaningful thing, but I’m worried that I’m forgetting how it made me feel...
Perhaps a helpful tip. Leaving Saint Jean Pied de Port until say Puente La Reina or Estella, your backpack is finally packed and arranged properly for daily use, feels good on your back, your...
Well friends, I can happy and proudly said that I'll start my sixth time volunteering in St. John the Babtist albergue in Gañon from next October the16th, to October the 31th. If you decided to...
Has anyone stayed in ventosa? Can you give some advice on what the accommodation was like please?
Anyone been to this one and have comments on it? https://alberguessantabrigida.com/albergue-san-bol/ No neighbors, 260 meters south of the francés, turn off about 4½ kilometers east of Hontanas...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back