Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Joining Norte from Oviedo.

HMV

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017)
Astorga to Santiago (2018)
Last year I walked the Norte from Irun to Villaviciosa. I'm returning this September to complete the walk but want to start from Oviedo as I caught the bus there from Villaviciosa last year. I did the Primitivo in 2019 so want to finish the Norte along the coast. I don't have the best sense of direction and wondered whether it would be difficult to find my way out of Oviedo to head towards Polla de Siero then on to Villaviciosa. I know there are markers leading pilgrims out of Oviedo to go on the Primitivo or to Aviles but not aware of where you enter the city from the Norte. I should have looked around when I was there last year! Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year I walked the Norte from Irun to Villaviciosa. I'm returning this September to complete the walk but want to start from Oviedo as I caught the bus there from Villaviciosa last year. I did the Primitivo in 2019 so want to finish the Norte along the coast. I don't have the best sense of direction and wondered whether it would be difficult to find my way out of Oviedo to head towards Polla de Siero then on to Villaviciosa. I know there are markers leading pilgrims out of Oviedo to go on the Primitivo or to Aviles but not aware of where you enter the city from the Norte. I should have looked around when I was there last year! Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Getting out should be relatively easy. From the Cathedral head for north Calle Azcarraga & then follow or better parallel the N-634 (C.Tenderina(?) till you can pick up the Camino Real. Any of the usual apps will get you there.

Buen Camino

ps: avoid Sidrería El Carro or you will get lost ;)

I walked from Oviedo to Avilés to join the Norte in 2019, and I didn't have any problems.

It's marked, and you can see the route on Gronze Maps and other apps.

1000030680.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The N-634 doesn’t go to Avilés, it goes east-west. There is a road that connects Oviedo and Avilés, the AS-17, but it is a narrow, shoulderless, dangerous walk. The first time I walked from Oviedo to Avilés, I didn’t use GPS, and the arrows were bad. At some point after a town with a library (where we went for help, but no one had ever heard of the Camino at this spot), we wound up on that road, and it was very dangerous.

Since then, the marking has improved and I have GPS on my phone, so I have had two much more pleasant walks from Oviedo into Avilés. No industry, very rural.

The wikiloc tracks I’m pasting in are from a very reliable Wikiloc member, twin.astir. I would follow these tracks.

The OP isn't trying to get to Avilés. They are trying to get to Villaviciosa reversing the usual pilgrim perambulation. They asked about getting out of Oviedo in the right direction. I think my suggestion, from the Cathedral, is the most practical. They can parallel the N-634 from the city-centre to get themselves oriented and then follow any of the usual apps - backwards

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I know there are markers leading pilgrims out of Oviedo to go on the Primitivo or to Aviles but not aware of where you enter the city from the Norte. I should have looked around when I was there last year! Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.
Your idea of walking from Oviedo to Villaviciosa is so peculiar that you confused absolutely everyone in this thread except for Tincatinker 🙃
Why would you want to do that? Nobody walks in that direction. (silly of me to say that)

Last edited:
Yes, I also jumped to the conclusion of walking from Oviedo to Avilés, probably because I did that after the Salvador.
But walking to Villaviciosa shouldn't be a problem. Just follow the GPS route in reverse on Gronze maps or Wise Pilgrim for the connection from the Norte to the Primitivo.

Your idea of walking from Oviedo to Villaviciosa is so peculiar that you confused absolutely everyone in this thread except for Tincatinker 🙃
Why would you want to do that? Nobody walks in that direction. Why not getting a bus back to Villaviciosa. Or walking a well-marked trail to Aviles ... if, as you say, you don't have the best sense of direction
Well, as one of the ones who was confused, I have to say that now that I have read the post carefully, it makes perfect sense.

The OP stopped in Villaviciosa, will arrive in Oviedo, and wants to go back to where he/she lleft off.

This is not a difficult thing to do, because many pilgrims on the Norte “dip down” to Oviedo from Villaviciosa, and the route is well marked. But since the OP will be going “backwards,” I would recommend a GPS to follow one of the many excellent tracks in reverse.

Like this one.

And as an unsolicited bit of advice, I would say that if you are at all enamored of ancient architecture, a slight detour to visit the pre-romanesque church in the monastery of Valdediós is well worth it. And even if you are not a big fan of that style, the setting for the monastery, nestled in a valley, is absolutely gorgeous.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks all for your responses - really appreciate you taking the time and trouble to respond even though it was a strange question. Tincatinker you got me first time - will do as you suggest, and Peregrina2000 will take your advice! I'm excited at the thought of walking again soon, so thanks everyone.

Most read last week in this forum

On the off chance that others are dealing with the same... my friend is walking with her 18 year old son, they started from San Sebastian last week... on their 3rd day, they walked from Orio to...
Last year I walked the Norte from Irun to Villaviciosa. I'm returning this September to complete the walk but want to start from Oviedo as I caught the bus there from Villaviciosa last year. I...
Hi, new to this forum and new to the Camino and already so grateful for all the fabulous info here. Thank you all. My husband and I (mid 60's) and my son are planning to walk some of the...
I'll be walking just seven days, San Sebastian to Bilbao. It's a warm-up, a test, and perhaps I'll return to do the rest later. I've done Frances, Portugues and a big chunk of Via de La Plata...
Hi everyone, we did the route from Hendaye to Bilbao last year and absolutely loved it. Will be picking back up from Bilbao later this week to walk up to Santander. Could you share any tips and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back