• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Jaca to Monasterio de San Juan de la Peña

Time of past OR future Camino
French, Port, VDLP, Aragon, Levante, Ebro: 04-22
My wife and I will be walking through Jaca from Somport in early August and we would like to visit the Monasterio de San Juan de la Pena on our way out of Jaca. Back in '13 we walked directly to Santa Cilla from Jaca and heard that there might be a ride up the hill to the Monasterio but we continued toward Arres because of time. This year we hope to make it there. According to Gronze Jaca to the Monasterio to Santa Cilla is 38.4k (approx.10hrs) and very difficult. Questions: If we walk from Jaca to the Monasterio can we spend the night there and walk down to Santa Cilla the next morning and on to Arres; or take a bus from Jaca to the Monasterio and walk to Santa Cilla for the night? I think I read a while back that someone bushwacked from the Monasterio directly to Arres and avoided going back to Santa Cilla. I don't see that on a map but I thought I'd ask about that as well. Thanks, and sorry for the long-winded question.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My wife and I will be walking through Jaca from Somport in early August and we would like to visit the Monasterio de San Juan de la Pena on our way out of Jaca. Back in '13 we walked directly to Santa Cilla from Jaca and heard that there might be a ride up the hill to the Monasterio but we continued toward Arres because of time. This year we hope to make it there. According to Gronze Jaca to the Monasterio to Santa Cilla is 38.4k (approx.10hrs) and very difficult. Questions: If we walk from Jaca to the Monasterio can we spend the night there and walk down to Santa Cilla the next morning and on to Arres; or take a bus from Jaca to the Monasterio and walk to Santa Cilla for the night? I think I read a while back that someone bushwacked from the Monasterio directly to Arres and avoided going back to Santa Cilla. I don't see that on a map but I thought I'd ask about that as well. Thanks, and sorry for the long-winded question.
We were at Santa Cilla a few weeks ago. The albergue will let you stay 2 nights if you are visiting the monastery - so that’s one option. Note that the track down from the monastery is very steep and stony. We just walked down the road - it felt safe as there was almost no traffic and plenty of opportunities to step off the road. The views were great. Another option is to get the early morning workers’ bus up from Jaca.

Thank you, Elena, It sounds like we could get a ride once we arrive in Santa Cilla then. The early morning workers' bus from Jaca sounds interesting. Any idea where you find that in Jaca?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you, Elena, It sounds like we could get a ride once we arrive in Santa Cilla then. The early morning workers' bus from Jaca sounds interesting. Any idea where you find that in Jaca?
Not sure if you can get a ride but you can walk up and back from Santa Cilla in a day with lots of time to visit the monastery. We took the bus up/back from Jaca a couple of years ago. I think from the bus station but not sure? I think there are a few recent forum threads on this so check it out

You can also stay the night in Santa Cruz at the base of the mountain, hiking up to see the monasteries without your pack either the night you arrive or the morning you leave, and then do a short segment to Santa Cilia. There is no albergue in Santa Cruz, so that will cost a bit, but it can be cheaper than the taxi option many utilize from Jaca and it’s a lovely village.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If we walk from Jaca to the Monasterio can we spend the night there
The “new” monastery at the top of the mountain used to house a Parador (stayed there in 2018), but I believe it has not reopened since Covid. Otherwise, there are no other lodging options there.

The tourist office in Jaca can tell you about the bus. It’s a good option but it may not run all year. Otherwise, staying two nights in Santa Cillia (albergue) or Santa Cruz de Seros (expensive) and walking there and back, doable in a day, would be the best way to do it.

You can also stay the night in Santa Cruz at the base of the mountain, hiking up to see the monasteries without your pack either the night you arrive or the morning you leave, and then do a short segment to Santa Cilia. There is no albergue in Santa Cruz, so that will cost a bit, but it can be cheaper than the taxi option many utilize from Jaca and it’s a lovely village.
I stayed in Santa Cruz and walked up to the monasteries in the afternoon. I was so happy that I wasn't carrying my backpack. That was quite a hike!

I think that you will have better luck with a bus or other transportation in August than I did in May before the tourist season began. I did get lucky and a Spanish couple offered me a ride back down.

The old monastery is definitely worth the effort to get there.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can't help you with your questions Jeff but there was some mentions about the trail between the monasteries and Santa Cruz de la Serós. I recently checked out the steepness of the walks here. If you walk down the road the average grade is 5.5% over the 7 kilometers (4.3 miles). The trail distance is 3.3 km (2 miles) with an average slope of 10% but the steepest section is 17% over 2 km.

I visited both the new and old monasteries on Sept. 1, 2023 - taking the staff transport bus from Jaca to San Juan de la Peña. I got the information about the bus at the Tourism Office in Jaca. At that time I was told that the bus runs from mid June through the first week of September.

I took the 9:20am White Bus with the San Juan de la Peña logo on the side, from the Jaca bus station. This bus transports the staff to both monasteries and then shuttles visitors back and forth between the two sites every 20 min or so and returns to Jaca at 6pm. The bus also stopped in Santa Cruz de la Serós to pick up more staff.

A man on the bus, who worked as a guide told us that we would pay the 3 euro bus fare when we purchased a ticket for both monasteries at the new monastery. After visiting the new monastery, I took the shuttle to the old monastery and then walked down the mountain to Santa Cilia. I took the sometimes steep rocky path which was beautiful but there is also the option of the not very busy road.

Mid way down the mountain, I stopped in Santa Cruz de la Serós, to visit the Romanesque church of Santa Maria and had a very good lunch at the Hostal Santa Cruz before continuing on to Santa Cilia.

Mid way down the mountain, I stopped in Santa Cruz de la Serós, to visit the Romanesque church of Santa Maria
Photos and info here:
But also in town is San Caprasio:

Santa Maria wasn't open when I was in town which was a double shame as it meant I waited out a downpour in an arcade instead of the church. I didn't know about the nearby San Caprasio.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I did the hike from Jaca to San Juan de la Pena and stayed in Sta Cruz (I think 40€ for the private room in September 2022, so count on at least 50 being August and inflation), and it was probably the most difficult day of any Camino. I didn't have any GPS tracks, and there were at times I had to guess which way at a fork. Then the steepness of the trails on the way back down. I don't think the bus was running when I went.

So if you hike from Jaca--GPS. Road walking is probably best, unless you have a lot of mountain experience. Either two nights in Sta Cilia as others have mentioned, or one Sta Cruz.

The monasteries were a highlight of the Camino Aragonés, so it's great to know all your options to see them again. The bus should be running.

If you walk up from Santa Cillia, you’ll be able to judge the path. I suspect you’ll choose the road on the way down. Nice people running the albergue now, they do dinner which is just as well as there is not much else in the village, though the owner of the bar should open up if he can round up his chickens in time. His vermouth is mental.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
IMG_1482.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    5.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1482.jpeg
    IMG_1482.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 18
Only the photos are going up and I didn’t take downhill photos. To San Juan de la peña.

Thanks Friend. Hope all is good with you, Buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

My wife and I will be walking through Jaca from Somport in early August and we would like to visit the Monasterio de San Juan de la Pena on our way out of Jaca. Back in '13 we walked directly to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back