• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this route feasible?

NewIDPilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2025
Hello! I am planning a journey for 5 to 10 people for June 8-21, 2025. The tentative plans are:
Leave from Matosinhos to Praia de Angeiras to Povoa de Varzim to Esposenda to Darque to Moledo to A Guarda to Baiona to Vigo to Redondela to Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis to Pontecesures to Rua de Francos to Santiago.

The last two stops are short walks because I really want us to arrive in time for the noon Pilgrims’ Mass (I am planning on paying for the incenser as a Thanksgiving for completing the pilgrimage-if allowed).

I have an alternative route for members who can’t do the whole walk. It starts in Tui to Porrino to Redondela.

Are these feasible??? TIA!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Leave from Matosinhos
Hi, just wondering why you are starting in Matosinhos. The most wonderful part of that route is walking from the cathedral in Porto, down to the river, and following the river all the way into Matosinhos. For me, it's the best start day of any camino.

Hi, just wondering why you are starting in Matosinhos. The most wonderful part of that route is walking from the cathedral in Porto, down to the river, and following the river all the way into Matosinhos. For me, it's the best start day of any camino.
Was try to cut some kms so that some of the members aren’t slammed at the beginning. I was going to give them the option to walk from the Cathedral or start in Matosinhos.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The question is - is it feasible to plan a Camino that 5 - 10 people will be happy with?

One year I took a group from the cathedral in Porto and we first walked over the long bridge, across the river, and down to the other side. They all took the best photos ever of Porto, from the bridge and from the other side of the river. Further along we then got the river taxi back across the river. It was a great way to start their camino. It was then a lovely walk to Matosinhos, where we stayed the first night.

As you are group leader, doing all the research, I would suggest that YOU work out all the best options, that suits EVERYONE in the group. They will all just follow you anyway - that's why you are doing all the organising.

I have found with a group that I must KISS.
(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Train for your next Camino on California's Santa Catalina Island, Oct 27 to Nov 2
If this is feasible depends on the people in your group.
How old are they, do they carry their luggage, what is their condition (trained long distance walkers or not).
You walk 14 days without a day to rest. Can they make that and enjoy it?
You should ask them what’s feasible.

The Camino Portuguese is said to be easy, and is most of the time, but it has some steep hills that are real knee crushers, especially on the walk up to Redondela.
The first days seems short, and then you mostly walk along the coast on boulevard and boardwalk (with an occasional (steep) walk into the hills) but from Vigo to Caldas de Reis they are longer and also more stretching. The way you planned the daily distances could be better imo.

I walked from Matosinhos to Caminha in 5 days. And from tui to Santiago in 6 days. (And an extra morning for Porto to Matosinhos in the end). We switched from Caminha to Valenca.
I was thankful for the 2 restdays along the way.

You can only make EVERYONE happy when you know what they are capable of and what their expectations are.
Because giving time to sit on the beach or have a look around the towns on the coast in Portugal is nice (seems to me there’s a lot of time for that) , but if they can’t make it to Santiago because the distance on the days from Vigo are too much and they get injuries they won’t be happy. Because reaching Santiago is their main goal.

Why don’t you look at other sites like Camino comfort or stingynomads for inspiration on what’s doable.

Good luck planning everything.

Most read last week in this forum

Xunta de Galicia organizes a 20 kms walk to ask the mayor signalling the Camino on Vigo municipality...
Hi friends, old and new. It is a year since our first Camino walking partly in memory of my dad Sagalout. This year, we are going to walk from Porto and have given ourselves plenty of time (I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back