• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is this crazy?

angmsmith

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024
I start walking my Camino a week from today. I'm finding myself super nervous, and worried that I'm not fully prepared. For those of you who have done a Camino before, what do you wish you knew your first time? Or what would you have done differently?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I start walking my Camino a week from today. I'm finding myself super nervous, and worried that I'm not fully prepared. For those of you who have done a Camino before, what do you wish you knew your first time? Or what would you have done differently?
That’s entirely normal.

The big secret is that it’s all more straightforward than you think.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For those of you who have done a Camino before, what do you wish you knew your first time? Or what would you have done differently?
I wished I had learned more Spanish. Very little English spoken on the Caminos at the time. Being extremely lazy I still wish I had learned more Spanish but I've still not done much about it! :cool:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino Angm'! It's just nervous energy and excitement. You're in for the experience of a lifetime! It's been 8 years since I walked, and I haven't made it back, but long for it every day. You'll do great!

On the Camino Frances I assume? Buen Camino and keep in the shade!

What I learned from my first Camino:

Whittle what you are carrying down to the bare minimum - I sent 3kg of junk on ahead of me to SdC.

Pause often - it isn't a race but a walk across frequently beautiful countryside that deserves your attention.

Ignore the signs that say it's 800km to Santiago - your aim is to reach your day's destination. Once there you can either go on or go home. Repeat until you reach the cathedral in SdC.

Speak or try to speak Spanish even when addressed in English.

Listen to people who have done multiple Caminos rather than somebody who has done it once before.

And so much more but it's your Camino to find for yourself.

What I always recommend to people on their first Camino:

Seek out the church Igrexa de San Xian de Furelos (just after the Roman bridge across the river Furelos and about 1km before you enter Melide), sit and marvel at the crucifix.

Happy wanderings!

I’ve been walking since 2000, and my pre-camino mental state is always exactly as you describe. What I find, though, is that when the door closes on my first flight, the nerves and worries decrease a lot and I am able to relax. And when I actually take my first step on the camino, that’s when they disappear completely, and my focus is on just putting one foot in front of the other.

Good as the advice may be to learn Spanish, that’s not going to happen in a week, and I wouldn’t add that to your list of worries. Just accept that these nerves are a part of the Camino, and that you will just have to carry them with you till you start to walk. My advice would be that it’s not a good idea to focus on trying to change anything now at this date. As a new forum member’s forum name says — onebreathatatime!

Buen camino, there is absolutely nothing like a first camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree keep your pack to 8 Kilos maximum, smaller is better. Change sock when they are wet, if possible take your boots/shoes off when you stop to rest.

PMFJI:
done differently: I would have took more time, talk more to fellow pilgrims, didn't stress about the flight home, ate more local food, drank more local wine, view more sunsets, find out before setting out on the Camino that less is more and the Camino provide. And that the Camino will give you what you need!

My only regret from my first Camino is that I stressed too much and over planned. By day four I had discarded the spreadsheets and embraced the day to day simplicity. I reckon at least 90% of us were that very nervous Pilgrim at one time or another. Let the Camino companionship and esprit de corp carry you along the road to Santiago. BUEN CAMINO 👍😊

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Great and download the right map and accommodation apps-that half the job done. Oh and use Gronze.com which is not in app form!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be prepared for the possibility of extremely hot weather--that's been the situation for the past two weeks (since I've been here). In fact, there is an extreme heat warning today in Madrid (and other places today and this week as well. The swimming area in the river in Ponferrada will be very inviting. I live in the US South, so I'm pretty used to hot summer weather, but this is extreme. Hopefully it will be over by the time you get here.

I did my first Camino in 2001. My second in 2010 and my third this year. IMO, the physical and logistical preparations are important but nothing can prepare you emotionally for the journey. My advice is don't sweat the logistics but focus on the emotional aspect of the journey. My first Camino was a race to the end and only later did I realize how much I missed out by not focusing on the relationships I made along the way. My second Camino was more about the journey but this year's was the most memorable because I never even thought of Santiago as a destination. I was focused on meeting as many fellow pilgrims as possible and learning their story and their reasons for taking the road. I plan to return again and spend quality vs quantity time on the road.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
These comments are exactly what I needed to hear. Many thanks for the boost and reassurance. Trusting it all and letting go
I agree with so many of the comments. We learned very early that “the Camino provides.” It does. Get out there, enjoy the sites, enjoy the people, and relax. You will get to where you’re going.

One thing that reduced stress for us on the Camino del Norte was booking accommodations ahead (just one day ahead). This eliminated the concern about whether there would be a bed for you upon finishing your day.

Buen Camino!

I'd have started my camino many years before had I known how simple it all was. It's a long days walk, followed by a night in a dorm maybe and a communal meal...sometimes

You will meet many who are like you, slightly outside their comfort zone, not sure of their capabilities and after the first day you will wonder what all your fuss was about :)

you will be fine... buen camino

You are going to love it! I'm doing my second Camino for my birthday in Sept. I will just offer some practical tips - the paths are very well marked (at least on the way of St. Francis) so it's hard to get lost, and plenty of other people to walk with. A lot of people use Booking.com to get your accommodation ironed out in advance and then it's all lined up in chrono order on the app. Super easy! And hosts like to message you about check-in instructions, etc. on the app too. Take advantage of the bag transport - I take a small daypack with me, and for 4 euros a day, the service will take your bigger backpack or suitcase to your next location (at your first accommodation, you can arrange for the transport with the host). Huge help. And take some cheap flip flops for any shared shower facilities. I also took old T-shirts that could be thrown out, which can be easier than dealing with laundry, although a lot of hostels/albergues have laundry facilities. Buena suerte y Buen Camino!

€46,-
I packed too much stuff. Even though I reviewed countless articles and packing lists, I still packed too much clothing. You need very little. Next time I'd bring: A pair of quick dry bike shorts, 2 merino wool tee shirts, a pair of lightweight pants (for the plane and Santiago where it was surprisingly cool), tee shirt dress for off trail, fleece, rain coat (Altus), underthings and socks, Teva sandals. Maybe a long sleeve merino top.

I wish I had already known that within me was the willpower to accomplish the camino, through pouring rain over the Pyrenees with a way too heavy backpack, three times 450 miles each time. I did it. So can you!

Nerves are healthy, and most of us suffer from them at some point or another.
I'm a very experienced traveler but I still have my moments.

I've learnt to simply make my plans as best I can and then just roll with the flow. Probably half of your nerves are just anticipation...

The moment you see your first arrow is just indescribable. It doesn't matter if it's your first, second or your third Camino it is just superb....

Oh, in case nobody's warned you already
- the Camino is addictive. Really, really addictive

Buen Camino!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Three rules for me -
Rule 1. Look after your feet from Day One.
Rule 2 . Refer to Rule 1
Rule 3. Pack light.
(p.s Compeed anti-friction stick everyday b4 starting out on areas that might blister or start to feel 'hot' has worked for me )

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Presumably you’ve got your pack organized, just don’t overload it with huge expectations and enjoy what unfolds with your footsteps. ¡Buen Camino!

Just remember that everyone who has walked any of the Camino routes had a 1st day too. Full of anticipation and wondering how it would be. We made it and so will you.

I received a suggestion a few days into my first Camino from a fellow pilgrim to download a Camino app onto my phone that would track my location relative to the Camino. This would have come in handy when we missed seeing a yellow arrow pointing off the main road because a van had parked in front of the wall on which the arrow had been painted. Awhile later, after missing fellow pilgrims and additional yellow arrows, a retrace of steps led us back to the correct turnoff. A couple of good apps are Wisepilgrim and Buen Camino. These apps also give great recommendations on upcoming towns/albergues/local information. You can use them while in airplane mode to save phone battery.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was so nervous for my first; having a toilet on the plane was a blessing🤣!!

My best advice is put your fears away and walk!
Most people are screwed by the what if's that never happen; i was and nearly cancelled the whole thing.
Did any of my fears actually happen ;no i had a blast😁.
If they do happen you will overcome them!
I now follow the words of my tattoo "Don't let your head stop your heart from moving" it's a truth in so many ways in life;

When i set out from Porto i thought i am alone and i was apprehensive of what was to come and if could i do it!!!
About 800metres in a French woman passed me and we Buen Caminoed each other and began talking.
After about 2 hours walking and a coffee stop we parted as she was in the zone, faster than me and had already been walking for 40 days.
From then on i kinda knew i was good to go!!
Henrythedog got it right in his response; enjoy the walk it is straight forward and you will be fine!
Have a wonderful walk
Buen Camino
Woody

What you are feeling is perfectly natural for a first Camino.
Just go.
Enjoy.
Work it out as you walk :)

If you want a tip.
Start out slow and steady and don't try to keep up with others.
You'll likely see them at the end of the day anyway......

By the way.
The first day is magical.
I was walking on air and trying to believe I was finally there :)

I would have brought a powerbank.

I suggest searching this site too as this is quite a regular question…

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
From my first Camino, I found that communal meals and going out to restaurant dinners with other pilgrims was very helpful. I learned a lot from their experiences. Just absorb with your eyes and ears, and filter out what does not appeal to you.

Keep a diary or blog with plenty of photos and captions. Tell your stories for your future self to enjoy and share. I guarantee it will bring tears to your eyes in the future.

Anticipate and prepare for at least some blister management. It is a rare first timer that goes blister free. However, help is at hand, either in-person or on the web. And it's always a topic at the albergues! 😂

You can do it, and it will change you! Buen Camino!

Whittle what you are carrying down to the bare minimum - I sent 3kg of junk on ahead of me to SdC.

Pause often - it isn't a race but a walk across frequently beautiful countryside that deserves your attention.

Ignore the signs that say it's 800km to Santiago - your aim is to reach your day's destination. Once there you can either go on or go home. Repeat until you reach the cathedral in SdC.

Speak or try to speak Spanish even when addressed in English.

Listen to people who have done multiple Caminos rather than somebody who has done it once before.

And so much more but it's your Camino to find for yourself.

What I always recommend to people on their first Camino:

Seek out the church Igrexa de San Xian de Furelos (just after the Roman bridge across the river Furelos and about 1km before you enter Melide), sit and marvel at the crucifix.

Happy wanderings!
Is that the one where Christ is reaching down with one hand?

It is helpful to realize that no one but you are causing this 'super nervousness;' therefore, no need to reach out to anyone. You are causing this nervousness so fix it yourself. In addition, this is a super positive thing as your subconsciousness or your over-thinking is generating this . . . and for a good reason. Go where this is taking you; do not try to hide it or remove it. It is there for a reason. Self-doubt is often much more of positive than a negative as there are often reasons for self-doubt. It is there so that you can recognize it and deal with it. Running away from it makes it worse. It may be you do not know the true reason for doing the Camino or that the reasons you do have are inappropriate.
I commend you for having being super nervous as opposed to the person who is operating on a superficial or naive level. You are real!
Having said this, I am an expert in nothing so take all of this with a grain of salt and a good cup of coffee. And please, do not sue me.
Chuck

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Is that the one where Christ is reaching down with one hand?
Being taken down from the cross - in the words of the church curator: "Signifying His last days on Earth and your last days on the Camino" - I found it quite profound.

Yes, that's the one. I remember the priest standing by the door to invite us (just those of us in sight at the time) in and tell us the history of the crucifix. Then he blessed us for the rest of our pilgrimage. I was walking with Dalie the donkey so it was a long time ago, probably 2002. I'm sure it will be a different priest now.

€46,-
I wish I'd started using a bag transport service sooner.

I just googled the church and found the image of Christ reaching down with his right hand from the Cross. It is a very moving image! Thank you, @Barbara, for mentioning this.
Not so much reaching down as slumping. The right palm bears a bloody stigmata and the nail hole on the cross drips blood too where it has been detached from the cross.
As far as I've been able to establish it's the only crucifix where both hands are not nailed to the cross piece.
What got me about it was the look of anguish on His face. Whoever carved it understood pain.

What I learn from the Camino every time I walk is that God/the Universe/Higher Power/The Camino is to be trusted. Even went things go screwy (as they occasionally do) it works out OK and something good comes of it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

And what you think is essential before you leave is probably still too much! :)

Stay open to amazing experiences -- the Camino WILL provide.

Buen Camino!

For my first Camino, I wish I had given myself more time. In general, I would advise not worrying too much. The Camino is a very supportive place.

I wish that I knew that freak weather could happen on the route napoleon over the Pyrenees and taken a jacket. Buen Camino.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Our fellow pilgrims have said it all. Halfway through Day 1 you will understand almost everything. Must say how glad I was to carry a pair of walking sandals (Keens, in my case) that I changed into every day 2/3 of the way through the day, along with a fresh pair of socks. ¡Buen Camino, dear peregrina!

What I somewhat knew, but now I am convinced after several Caminos, is that you have to trust in God. Not that things will necessarily go well, although most do, but that whatever happens you will be able to handle it with a little prayer. Together with the spiritual aspect of the community, it is being willing to experience the possible unknown (whether good or maybe not so good) that makes a Camino truly unique.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Which route are you Doing? Just remember that the Frances is not the only route and the other routes also have their attractions.

The main point with the Camino is do not set impossible targets, walk as little or as much each day as you feel comfortable with. Take rest days and also consider side excursions. Do not be afraid to use public transport to avoid sections of the Camino that are a little grim e.g. the exit from Leon.

After you have been travellling a bit you will notice that some of your fellow walkers are becoming familiar, and quite by chance you will have found your "Camino Family"

I hear you. I leave home in two weeks and I'm not prepared, and that's ok. As long as you have good shoes and a credit card, everything else can be gotten along the way.

So normal to be nervous and you are not alone and I bet it will be smoother than you think.

Buen Camino

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Travel light, have a good pair of walking boots/shoes, sandals are nice to wear when route allows. Change socks often, carry several means of payment ie Cards and a little cash and be friendly. You're gonna love, first time nerves are normal. But remember Travel Light 😃

like fearing you do not have sea legs as you proceed to embark on a boat- just to find out that it´s just straightforward...

Last edited:

€46,-
After my first Camino, I aways take one of those 'camping' synthetic sink plugs and a collapsible mug.
Don't get too hung up on backpack weight (within reason). If it worked on your training walks, it's the 'right' weight for you.
Go at your own pace; take a break when you need to, walk as far as you want - don't sacrifice these last two points to stay with your Camino family.
It'll be great
Buen Camino

I am indeed! Just completed day 2 🎉

Definitely packed too much! But other than that, I’m feeling good. All the advice and recommendations were super helpful! Thank you all!
Oh yeah. You're on your way. Enjoy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back