Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is the albergue at San Anton open?

Kasee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances: '22, '23, '24
Portugues: 23
Invierno: 24
Hi, folks:

I'm seeing conflicting reports about the ruins at San Anton. Will the albergue be open by early August?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
People have posted saying that it has reopened and that it wasn’t closed for long. Maybe it’s changed again. I don’t know.

I tried to find the post, but couldn’t. It was one of the FB groups. She specifically said it had reopened and a traveling pilgrim priest said Mass.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
It is open until the hospitalero decides to move on. Then it will close until a new one can be found. It was always that way.
I saw something about it being closed because of issues with the safety of the ruins. It was more than just the albergue--even going in to the ruins was off limits.

I saw something about it being closed because of issues with the safety of the ruins. It was more than just the albergue--even going in to the ruins was off limits.
Yes, that was the story I saw too. The whole complex was off limits. I figured it would be closed for a good while.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is currently definitely open. If it isn't by the time you get there though there are a couple of other places that are very unique in a similar way and in the near vicinity.

It is currently definitely open. If it isn't by the time you get there though there are a couple of other places that are very unique in a similar way and in the near vicinity.
My wife and I will be passing by there in October. What other unique places are you referring to?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My wife and I will be passing by there in October. What other unique places are you referring to?
Albergue de San Nicolas is run by Italians and is worth a stay. It also has no electricity except in the bathrooms, which are in a separate building out back. There are a limited number of beds so better to plan on getting there earlier when they open.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I was there in May and was told by the guy running the food donativo on the left hand side, that is wasn't open for safety reasons

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola
The various replies dont give dates - so are of dubious value

I passed by in May 2024 - definitely closed because of safety issues - there is a Notice on the fence explaining that the local Council wouldnt come to the party with any funding, so they had to close, in interests of safety of visitors

SO - pass on by...
Stephen in NZ

Hola
The various replies dont give dates - so are of dubious value

I passed by in May 2024 - definitely closed because of safety issues - there is a Notice on the fence explaining that the local Council wouldnt come to the party with any funding, so they had to close, in interests of safety of visitors

SO - pass on by...
Stephen in NZ
I have a friend who was serving as a hospitalera in the first half of June 2024 so the situation changes.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Or just do the old-fashioned thing and go with the flow. Maybe it'll be open, maybe not. In any event neither Hornillos nor Castrojerez are far away, chock-full of accommodation for walkers.
As you walk out of San Anton you can actually see Castrojerez

One of them was as mentioned above:
Albergue de San Nicolas is run by Italians and is worth a stay.
And the other is:

I've not stayed in either, but when walking past them they were definitely places that looked amazing for different reasons. Hontanas and Castrojeriz either side of St Anton are also beautiful villages and must be wonderful to stay in.

Spolit for choice!

You can’t reserve any of the donations
Some donativos (usually the private ones) take reservations
I was there in May and was told by the guy running the food donativo on the left hand side, that is wasn't open for safety reasons

I have a friend who was serving as a hospitalera in the first half of June 2024 so the situation changes.
I walked by on June 6th this year and it was definitely open.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It looks to me that those folks who were there in June (like @trecile ) reported it being opened.
Hence IMHO & with all Respect Due it's pointless to say that it was closed prior to...

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Multiagency rescue... Hope pilgrim concerned is OK..
i did the French way a couple of years ago from Roncesvalles, right after covid. i’m elderly and very slow. i would like to return in 2025, to do it again while my body may still let me. last...
Hi, folks: I'm seeing conflicting reports about the ruins at San Anton. Will the albergue be open by early August?
@Monasp has just posted the SJPDP figures for pilgrims recorded at the pilgrim office for the first six months of this year. Up a little over 4% on the same period last year. The pdf file is on...
My knees don’t agree with pavement, asfaltroads, so I’m planning to take taxi through Logroño. Anybody knows where it could be logical to hopp of and continue walking?
Hi, I am from NY and I am arriving in Pamplona on Sunday, June 30, 2024 on the 13:46 train from Madrid. I am looking to share a taxi to SJPP. I understand that the only bus leaves at 12 pm and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back