Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Is anyone starting in Lisbon mid October?

Marla in CA

Time of past OR future Camino
I am thinking about going sometime within the 1st two weeks of October 2024 and starting in Lisbon. I will be walking by myself. Last year, I started in Tomar. SO I definitely want to see Lisbon to Tomar, and then maybe train ahead to Porto.
I am concerned there might not be too many pilgrims from Lisbon to Tomar so just trying to feel for how many pilgrims there might be. All info and responses appreciated!

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hi Marla, in June I walked from Lisbon to Tomar — met only a dozen or so other walkers, mainly at rest stops & in towns where I stayed, not so much while on the trail. I booked private rooms, though, so may have met more people if I’d stayed at albergues. Also, there were a few hot days walking in June — perhaps there’ll be more walkers going in cooler October! Bom Caminho from San Diego

Hi Marla, in June I walked from Lisbon to Tomar — met only a dozen or so other walkers, mainly at rest stops & in towns where I stayed, not so much while on the trail. I booked private rooms, though, so may have met more people if I’d stayed at albergues. Also, there were a few hot days walking in June — perhaps there’ll be more walkers going in cooler October! Bom Caminho from San Diego
Thank you for your response! I am in Oceanside! I, too will be staying in private rooms, and of course that significantly cuts down on how many people you meet. It's a real tradeoff, but I do not want to be on the trail alone. How did you enjoy Lisbon to Tomar? I have read a lot of negative when I looked into it last year, but I know there are some who love it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
How did you enjoy Lisbon to Tomar?
It's fine in my view. A lot of people here (and elsewhere) complain about 'industrial sections' on camino, especially this section. My experience in general, and on this section in particular, is that there are far fewer industrial sections than is often claimed. Leaving from Lisbon, there is one smoke-stack, industrial complex reminiscent of the nuclear plant from The Simpsons that you will walk past on day two or three and it looms large for a couple of hours; I actually flew over it this week while leaving Lisbon and chuckled to myself as I remembered walking past it.

Apart from that, basically, the outskirts of Lisbon after Oriente aren't amazing but the new route avoids a some of it; Vila Franca de Xira and Azambuja are nice towns; from Azambuja to Santarém it's dusty and shadeless and can be hot; Santarém is a very nice historic town, and from Santarém to Tomar it's quite nice alongside the Tejo (Tagus) river. All in all, this is still a rewarding stretch of camino in my opinion. The part of the CP from Lisbon to Porto that I preferred less was Coimbra to Porto, which is extremely suburban.

It's fine in my view. A lot of people here (and elsewhere) complain about 'industrial sections' on camino, especially this section. My experience in general, and on this section in particular, is that there are far fewer industrial sections than is often claimed. Leaving from Lisbon, there is one smoke-stack, industrial complex reminiscent of the nuclear plant from The Simpsons that you will walk past on day two or three and it looms large for a couple of hours; I actually flew over it this week while leaving Lisbon and chuckled to myself as I remembered walking past it.

Apart from that, basically, the outskirts of Lisbon after Oriente aren't amazing but the new route avoids a some of it; Vila Franca de Xira and Azambuja are nice towns; from Azambuja to Santarém it's dusty and shadeless and can be hot; Santarém is a very nice historic town, and from Santarém to Tomar it's quite nice alongside the Tejo (Tagus) river. All in all, this is still a rewarding stretch of camino in my opinion. The part of the CP from Lisbon to Porto that I preferred less was Coimbra to Porto, which is extremely suburban.
Jungleboy, this helps me tremendously. Out of curiosity, if I really didn't like the "industrial" sections, are there any trains or busses to go ahead a bit?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Be mindful when heading to Santarem . We walked this section in May and it’s a long stretch with no facilities leading up to it ( make sure you have ample water) . Heading out from Lisbon is ok, boardwalk along the way, quite pleasant .Not as many albergue choices from Lisbon.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of AlbergarĂ­a a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back