• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

interesting article from 2018--I'm not sure it has been posted here before.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
There is a lot to chew on in this article.

On a fall 2021 Camino Francés, many of our fellow pilgrims were coming to the Camino on the heels of a major life transition - a divorce, a death, loss of a job, retirement, etc. I think the overriding motivation was personal - getting away from the hustle of daily life and trying to gain personal insight to move forward. Nothing bad about that, and I think the Camino is a wonderful means to that end. But that's probably a far different motivation than a medieval pilgrim would have had.

It's interesting to ponder how the purpose of the Camino has morphed and adapted over the years. Thanks, kelleymac, for posting this article.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
An interesting article. I have to admit, though, that I was a little surprised by the line "some monasteries and churches even resurrect the same designs as were stamped over a thousand years ago" near the beginning. I have to wonder how much stamping was going on over a thousand years ago. It isn't something I've seen much of from back then.

I was surprised to read that at the end you get your 'certificate' as long as you've done the walk 'for religious reasons'!. This sounds absurd to me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back