• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

interesting article from 2018--I'm not sure it has been posted here before.

kelleymac

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017, April 2019.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a lot to chew on in this article.

On a fall 2021 Camino Francés, many of our fellow pilgrims were coming to the Camino on the heels of a major life transition - a divorce, a death, loss of a job, retirement, etc. I think the overriding motivation was personal - getting away from the hustle of daily life and trying to gain personal insight to move forward. Nothing bad about that, and I think the Camino is a wonderful means to that end. But that's probably a far different motivation than a medieval pilgrim would have had.

It's interesting to ponder how the purpose of the Camino has morphed and adapted over the years. Thanks, kelleymac, for posting this article.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An interesting article. I have to admit, though, that I was a little surprised by the line "some monasteries and churches even resurrect the same designs as were stamped over a thousand years ago" near the beginning. I have to wonder how much stamping was going on over a thousand years ago. It isn't something I've seen much of from back then.

I was surprised to read that at the end you get your 'certificate' as long as you've done the walk 'for religious reasons'!. This sounds absurd to me.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was surprised to read that at the end you get your 'certificate' as long as you've done the walk 'for religious reasons'!. This sounds absurd to me.
It is a pilgrimage route, after all, and the certificate being discussed is given by the Catholic Church. Why would it be absurd?

That said, there are many reports that the distinction is no longer being maintained and the Compostela certificate is being given to all, regardless of motivation. And, even before, people walking for non-religious reasons were not denied certificates. There was a different certificate that they received (one that did not say that they had walked for religious reasons).

If you read the text of the Compostela you will see that it explicitly declares that the named person has made the journey to the tomb of the Apostle "with an attitude of devotion or because of a vow or promise" and "with Christian sentiment" (translation from the pilgrim office website). It was never intended to be simply a completion certificate for a long distance walk. In the fairly recent past pilgrims were expected to be prepared to explain their motives and what made their journey a pilgrimage rather than simply a walk or bike ride. But as @David Tallan has said the pilgrim office no longer make any real enquiries or distinction concerning the person's motives for walking.

At my turn at the finishing counter in the Pilgrim Office, I got the question from this staff: ...and did you walk all the way? - as in a non- offensive way, just --did you manage to!? I respected this question.
I remember that I welled up, ... Yes! that was the real reward, I DID manage to walk all the steps, in spite of being totally done at the airport just before Burgos and wanted to take the final push in a bus.. Only to find that it was not coming for another 45 minutes, and how far could I walk in 45 minutes!! Then and other times, I knew my promise to myself, and that was my premise for my walk..

Only afterwards have I dispensed with this requirement, when weather and security demanded a transport...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
Hi all, probably a question with many different answers, but here goes. I've done several Caminos, but always ones that feature a cafe every now and then ( think Frances, Portuguese, Ingles etc)...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back