• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Insoles causing heel slippage

jlee

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - 2014
Hey all! I'm about to start on my second camino and having some shoe trouble. Last camino I work Merrill Moabs right with no insoles and ended up getting plantar fasciitis about 3 weeks in. This time I am trying to prepare more and found some good insoles that protect against pronation and have extra arch support. The only problem is that they are THICK, which is causing all shoes that normally feel fantastic without the insoles to have major heel slippage after inserting them.

How do you all deal with the extra space taken up by insoles? Have you found certain shoes that work better with them? I tried sizing up (didn't work), looking for shoes that have an extra deep heel pocket (kinda helped but not completely), and tried the "runners knot" that someone at REI showed me (also kind of helped but not completely). I really don't want to go up to boots or anything if I can avoid it, I really like flexibility and weight of trail runners

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also have Moabs, also got plantar fasciitis after 2 weeks of a 3 week Camino this year. What is working for me in relieving pain and stress is the Pro-Foot insole. It is a half-size insert. It also comes with a neat little pamphlet of stretching exercises. Stretching seems to be important in healing and prevention. Wish I knew that earlier. 🙄

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds like you want the arch support and not heel support. I can manage with super feet green in close fitting footwear; but otherwise use custom orthotics - I’d second the suggestion to consult a podiatrist.
I've seen a podiatrist and was told I overpronate and have a collapsed arch in my left foot. Custom orthotics are delayed and won't get here in time so he gave me recs on off-the-shelf insoles that cover both the overpronation and the arch support. Now I just need shoes that fit them

I also use Moabs, and use an insole. Your Moabs have 2 lace holes where the end of the shoe lace threads through. Take a look :
Also, the insoles should NOT be slippery at all and there should NOT be any "extra space". Did you cut the new insoles to match the OEM insoles? Lay the OEM insoles over the new insoles and square up the end of the heel. Trace the old insole onto the new insole and then cut the new insoles to fit. You mentioned "space"...

Also, be carefull with insoles that have high control built in...such as high arch support. The contour of your instep should match the contour of the insole. Otherwise, you will destroy your feet.

Last edited:
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
My podiatrist made me some thick, cushioned inersoles which made keeping my heel in some shoes very tricky. A lot of trial and error to find the right shoes. I ended up walking the Camino in Salomon Glide Max TR Trail Runners. Heel area deep enough to hold my heel in place. Great cushioning in the soles as well, never felt a single cobblestone!

I found the bright green Superfeet insoles from REI (I see you're in Seattle, OP) to be nearly the same as my prescription orthotics.

I'll get grief for this I'm sure. On my first Camino I was getting knee problems. I paid attention to what could be causing the problem and it turned out to be pronation. I wadded up tissue and placed it under my insole to provide arch support. It worked (but I had to keep adding more tissue as the older stuff got compressed).

On my second Camino I wore Moabs and had prescription insoles. On about day five one knee started giving way under me. I hit the ground three times. I was walking on asphalt that day and, while I had trained, apparently it wasn't long enough or for enough days in a row to discover the problem early. Although the symptoms were different the next day I supplemented the arch support with wadded tissue again. A few problems that day but the next day and weeks I was back to normal. It's been five years and I have a new pair of Moabs but I still use wadded tissue under the insole.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ive been buying insoles online and wearing them whenever I exercise for several years now due to getting PF a few years back. I use moabs, Altras and Oboz for hiking in AZ. I've also been to podiatrist. He recommended that the online insoles can be as good as custom but I need to look for harder ones (not like Dr Sholls) with a moderate arch and have been plantar fascia. But during my last Camino, the balls of my feet were dying so while there, I bought metatarsal cushions to put under the insoles found at pilgrim store. Those worked! Now at home, ive bought inserts that also include metatarsal support.

Hey all! I'm about to start on my second camino and having some shoe trouble. Last camino I work Merrill Moabs right with no insoles and ended up getting plantar fasciitis about 3 weeks in. This time I am trying to prepare more and found some good insoles that protect against pronation and have extra arch support. The only problem is that they are THICK, which is causing all shoes that normally feel fantastic without the insoles to have major heel slippage after inserting them.

How do you all deal with the extra space taken up by insoles? Have you found certain shoes that work better with them? I tried sizing up (didn't work), looking for shoes that have an extra deep heel pocket (kinda helped but not completely), and tried the "runners knot" that someone at REI showed me (also kind of helped but not completely). I really don't want to go up to boots or anything if I can avoid it, I really like flexibility and weight of trail runners
I use Superfeet “run,” formerly known as “carbon.” There is zero padding, but great heal and arch support. It’s almost like walking barefoot. They are good for 5, 600 miles a pair. I’ve probably walked 10,000 miles using these insoles and have never had foot problems. Maybe I’m just lucky, or maybe they are really good.

Hey there! Seems like you’re getting a lot of great advice here, so I’ll throw mine in for what it’s worth. I had really severe plantar fasciitis and almost couldn’t do my Portuguese Camino which is in less than a week now! Fortunately I did a lot of things including a shoe change. After trying a bunch of brands, since I really want the zero drop barefoot wide toe box for my large and high volume foot, I tried the Panthera Max from this brand WITH their super grip insoles. They’re not too expensive and they ship for free worldwide. I think they’re based in Colorado and I got mine in Paris France in less than a week. I will say the customer service was great and helped size me on the phone but they ended up being a bit too big so I went size down if that helps at all. Good luck!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I also use Moabs, and use an insole. Your Moabs have 2 lace holes where the end of the shoe lace threads through. Take a look :
Also, the insoles should NOT be slippery at all and there should NOT be any "extra space". Did you cut the new insoles to match the OEM insoles? Lay the OEM insoles over the new insoles and square up the end of the heel. Trace the old insole onto the new insole and then cut the new insoles to fit. You mentioned "space"...

Also, be carefull with insoles that have high control built in...such as high arch support. The contour of your instep should match the contour of the insole. Otherwise, you will destroy your feet.

I had this problem with my custom insoles in my Topos but using the heel lock lacing system kept my feet secure

I've seen a podiatrist and was told I overpronate and have a collapsed arch in my left foot. Custom orthotics are delayed and won't get here in time so he gave me recs on off-the-shelf insoles that cover both the overpronation and the arch support. Now I just need shoes that fit them
The insoles should fit the shoes / boots - NOT the other way around.

Don't forget to upside the shoes or boots to allow for: a second pair of socks, swelling from walking all day, and perhaps splaying or swelling after several weeks of walking with a loaded rucksack.

Also, check with the manufacturer to find out if the brand and style of shoe; boot you plan to buy is correctly sized, or does not run large or small.

For example, my street sized 11 (US) feet wore a size 13 Keen Targhee II boot. First, the boot runs 1/2 size small (per the manufacturer). So, the size 13 (US) is really a size 12.5.

I wear a sock liner and a thick pair of wool socks (+ 1/2 size). My feet always swell after several hours in any footwear (+ 1/2 size). After a month of daily walking carrying a 20 - 25 pound rucksack, my feet increased in size from size 11.0 to size 11.5 (US). They have remained at size 11.5.

Doing the math: base size 11, plus 1/2 for socks, plus, 1/2 for end of day swelling, plus 1/2 for splaying over time = 12.5. Considering that the boots ran 1/2 size small, I was right on target.

I learned to use custom lacing techniques to ensure my foot stays locked in place at the rear of the boot, I want to prevent the feet sliding forward. Less foot movement means less friction. Less friction means less blisters. I also want to give my toes a lot of space to walk in. In six Caminos, I have never had a blister. Search for "how to lace hiking boots: on You Tube.

Finally, I removed the factory insoles and walked my first two Caminos (2013, 2014) in Superfeet green insoles. However, I learned that I have one congenitally deformed foot that spawns massive callus tissue on the heel and ball of the foot.

The Superfeet insoles exacerbated my callus problem - the other foot was happy though. I had to consult a Spanish podiatrist to have the calluses treated.

He threw away my Superfeet insoles, and hand made a custom orthotic for me. He actually referred to them as "basura - garbage" as he tossed them in the wastebasket in the examining room. As he could not speak any English, and my Spanish was very basic back then, I just shrugged my shoulders.

Starting with my third Camino (2015), I had a podiatrist back-home fit custom orthotics for the boots I wear on Camino - not for my regular street or casual shoes. It solved a bunch of problems for me. Not cheap, but cheaper than an interrupted Camino. As I said at the outset, the insoles must fit the footwear you will actually wear on Camino - not the other way around.

Hope this helps you sort your issue out.

Tom

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
i can recommend Brooks Ghost Max. These shoes are super cushioned and the heel is very snug.

Over 2CF & JMT I have had absolutely no issues with heel support using Superfeet Trailblazer in Meindl Radide GTX trekking shoe.
This cannot be overstated - EVERYONE's feet are different. I even have a congenitally mismatched pair of feet. What works for ME, likely will not work for you.

There are many pilgrims on this forum, many of whom are better at fitting boots than I am. Sooner or later, this thread will surface a viable solution for your situation.

Good luck.

Tom

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
I'm plan to complete the Camino Frances in a final 2 week stint from Ponferrada to Santiago de Compostela. I'll need to wash clothes half way, which will probably be near Sarria. Does anyone know...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.