• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

In praise of Google flights

peregrina2000

Staff member
I mentioned google flights on another thread recently, and though many of you may already know all about it, I am a newbie to the google flights website. I have only one option for flying from my home, since American is the only airline that flies into my town. I know that I don’t want to book on expedia, orbitz or another 3rd party site, having seen first hand how those who book directly with the airline get much better treatment in case of a mix-up, delay, mechanical, etc. So I have only been using American’s website for years now.

A friend said I should take a look at google flights, and I couldn’t imagine what the advantage could be. But I was very pleasantly surprised to see a ticket from my town to Lisbon and back that was substantially cheaper than what the American Airlines website was showing. I clicked on the google link to American, bought my ticket on the American website, but then called Customer Service just to make sure I had a legitimate American ticket.

The rep told me it was a perfectly good ticket, so I asked how it could possibly be that google flights was showing a ticket that was several thousand cheaper than the American website. It turns out that it’s because google flights had found a codeshare flight that was much cheaper. So for one of my legs, Madrid to Chicago, though I am on the Iberia flight, the flight shows up as a FinnAir flight! This is not a problem for the ticket or for my flight, but google flights found a Finn Air sale that American didn’t alert me to.

I am going in about a month, so I will definitely report back if there are any snafus, but I’m expecting that all will go well.

p.s. Friends also tell me that Kayak also operates in the same fashion, but I’m perfectly happy with google flights and will use it from now on, even though I will always be flying on American!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I mentioned google flights on another thread recently, and though many of you may already know this, I am a newbie to this website. I have only one option for flying from my home, since American is the only airline that flies into my town. I know that I don’t want to book on expedia, orbitz or another 3rd party site, having seen first hand how those who book directly with the airline get much better treatment in case of a mix-up, delay, mechanical, etc. So I have only been using American’s website for years now.

A friend said I should take a look at google flights, and I couldn’t imagine what the advantage could be. But I was very pleasantly surprised to see a ticket from my town to Lisbon and back that was substantially cheaper than what the American Airlines website was showing. I clicked on the google link to American, bought my ticket on the American website, but then called Customer Service just to make sure I had a legitimate American ticket.

The rep told me it was a perfectly good ticket, so I asked how it could possibly be that google flights was showing a ticket that was several thousand cheaper than the American website. It turns out that it’s because google flights had found a codeshare flight that was much cheaper. So for one of my legs, Madrid to Chicago, though I am on the Iberia flight, the flight shows up as a FinnAir flight! This is not a problem for the ticket or for my flight, but google flights found a Finn Air sale that American didn’t alert me to.

I am going in about a month, so I will definitely report back if there are any snafus, but I’m expecting that all will go well.

p.s. Friends also tell me that Kayak also operates in the same fashion, but I’m perfectly happy with google flights and will us it from now on, even though I will always be flying on American!
I, too, regularly compare google, Kayak and Skyscanner. Even on Skyscanner, sometimes they list a flight, cheaper than when I look directly on United, same flight, same airline.

p.s. Friends also tell me that Kayak also operates in the same fashion, but I’m perfectly happy with google flights and will us it from now on, even though I will always be flying on American!
I use Kayak to search for options but then book direct with the airline concerned. I find the Kayak user interface is very straightforward and intuitive.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I, too, regularly compare google, Kayak and Skyscanner. Even on Skyscanner, sometimes they list a flight, cheaper than when I look directly on United, same flight, same airline.

I use Kayak to search for options but then book direct with the airline concerned. I find the Kayak user interface is very straightforward and intuitive.

So why did it take me 20 years to learn this?! 🤣

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also will defend my lapse by pointing out that since I only have one airline available, I never imagined that someone else’s search engine could give me better prices than the airline itself, and still have it be an official ticket purchased directly through the airline. I think I need to start traveling more to make up for lost time and save more money!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I mentioned google flights on another thread recently, and though many of you may already know this, I am a newbie to this website. I have only one option for flying from my home, since American is the only airline that flies into my town. I know that I don’t want to book on expedia, orbitz or another 3rd party site, having seen first hand how those who book directly with the airline get much better treatment in case of a mix-up, delay, mechanical, etc. So I have only been using American’s website for years now.

They do pretty well on that codeshare stuff. Don't feel too bad-- they haven't been as good as they are now for all that time. Not sure when they got better at it. Several years ago when I first tried it, I didn't get anything I couldn't get a dozen other places, and so ignored it. But a couple years ago I went back and they are much better than before, which probably means they bought some company out in order to get better and capture the market.

Before Google Flights there was ITA Matrix by Google, which has a lot more in depth options, but it doesn't give you a direct link to the airline to book. It gives you all of the airfare codes that you can give to a travel agent.

Google Flights is much simpler to use!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have just checked google flights comparing to kayak and the flight I am looking at is at least $50+ more on google flights....just saying.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I had not heard of Google Flights. After reading these posts, as an experiment I put the same departure and return dates I have already booked into Google Flights and got a result almost $1000 cheaper. Same airline and same travel time, although different flights. I will certainly look at this for next time.

I have just checked google flights comparing to kayak and the flight I am looking at is at least $50+ more on google flights....just saying.
Yes,there are variations! Sometimes one may see a slight differences, ups & downs in dollars, between the fares of Kayak, Google, or Skyscanner. But all are great tools to use.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Have found the same with skyscanner 👍🏻

Never new that!

Useful tip, thanks :D

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello folks... can I throw in another tool which you may find useful?

We use flightsfrom for longhaul journeys. It will tell you which flights go to your destination. Sometimes it's cheaper to book the long flights individually. For example, for our flight to NZ we'll look and see how we can break our journey, tracing the flights into our NZ aiport.

It's a bit long winded and it doesn't always save money but it can... and it's useful for seeing how flies into a more obscure airport too.

google fights is always my first starting point and they have a similar option under their Explore button but I like FlightsFrom too as another tool in our travel armoury :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I do the same.
I worked in the airline industry for 20 years and if you buy your ticket through someone else such as Google, Expedia, Kayak etc and have a problem, they will often defer you back to whoever you bought your ticket from. Additionally there can be restrictions on the ticket that are not clearly expressed or advised that an airline purchased ticket doesn’t have. That can get interesting when you’re in another country. Lastly if for some reason you need to fly with another airline due to cancellations etc, the new airline often won’t take the ticket as it wasn’t issued by the carrier on the ticket. It can be expensive and frustrating.
On the plus side if nothing goes wrong you get a heck of a bargain.
If I buy a ticket from other than the airline directly, I always spend a little of the savings on travel insurance that covers flight problems…

I worked in the airline industry for 20 years and if you buy your ticket through someone else such as Google, Expedia, Kayak etc and have a problem, they will often defer you back to whoever you bought your ticket from.
This is true for third party brokers, like Expedia, Orbitz, and Priceline, but Google and Kayak (and maybe others) send you back to the actual airline website to buy your ticket. I bought a ticket on American this way, because the price on google flights was MUCH cheaper than on the American website. I called customer service to ask the very question you posed. She assured me that I had bought my ticket from American. That is also confirmed by my credit card, which shows American, Fort Worth TX as the payee, so I am pretty confident that I have a “real” American ticket and not a third party ticket.

That was the point of my original post, to alert people to the fact that some external search engines come up with a cheaper price and then send you over to the official airline site to pay for it. That means you are buying your ticket from the airlines but getting a price that the airlines website hasn’t pulled up for you.

I believe, Skyscanner and Kayak, offer you the choice of where to purchase the flight from. It can be a third part or the airline directly. I look for the cheapest price in the class I am searching for with direct airline booking. Then, these websites will take you directly to the airline. Then you are booking directly with the airline.

€46,-
Caveat emptor!

The thing to be careful of when purchasing anything - flight, accommodation, car hire - through a third party is that your contract is with them and not the service provider.

Suppose you book a flight with "supercheapairdeals.com" from Athens to Rome on "Pegasus Airlines" and then from Rome to New York with AA.

The Pegasus flight from Athens is delayed and you miss your connection in Rome causing you to buy another, much more expensive, ticket - don't try claiming from Pegasus or even AA. Your contract is with "supercheapairdeals.com" and good luck with pursuing them!.

Sometimes cheap isn't always cheerful

Cheap flights?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I always imagine going to the regular supermarket to buy groceries. Except one day I discover that if I go in through the back door of a nearby auto parts store (and look at one of their "calendars" on the walls...), apples cost 13.24% less, while oranges cost slightly more.

Walking around the supermarket the next day, however, I discover that if I enter through the bathroom window, there's still some discounted watermelon left, while if I enter through the front door, they're out of it. Not to mention that bananas cost €2.99 per kilo, but you pay €1.23 for the tray of bananas at the checkout, plus €1.04 if you don't peel them before leaving the shop. And unfortunately, these were the prices the first time I entered the supermarket. When I entered the supermarket a second time minutes later, after going to the toilet, they increased by a lot! And by the way: if you find that the banana has gone bad, you must complain to the auto parts store, not the supermarket.

The market for airline tickets is like that. And always has been.

Last edited:
Caveat emptor!

The thing to be careful of when purchasing anything - flight, accommodation, car hire - through a third party is that your contract is with them and not the service provider.
Maybe this doesn’t need to be said yet again, but the point of this thread is to show forum members that there are some non-airline websites, like Kayak and Google Flights (and maybe Skyskanner?), which are NOT third party brokers. They do not sell you the flights directly, they show you the cheapest flights and link you to the airline websites where those fares will be shown and you purchase directly with the airlines.

Bottom line — not all non-airline websites are alike. Expedia, orbitz, priceline, cheap flights, etc etc are third parties that contract with you directly. Kayak and Google flights are search engines that lead you to the airline website, so that the ticket you purchase IS issued directly by the airline and avoids all the third party nightmares.

Also, re: Google Flights, you can track a flight plan and receive periodic updates about pricing. We did this with a round trip proposed flight Portland, Oregon to Lisbon, Portugal earlier this year. Prices started out @ $700 round trip, went up to $850 and then dropped all the way down to $489 and that's the fare we booked! Pay attention to length of flight, # of transfers and time they give you to get to next flight. There are certain airlines that get 'hot' for a period of time from your home airport. Right now, from Portland, Oregon, that airline is Westjet. I've seen one way fares from PDX - BCN and PDX - NICE, Fr. for about $210 recently! One way is good because there's a very good chance that once you spend a few days in Nice, you will not want to come back anyway!!

I just checked flights from Melbourne (Aus !!) to Madrid. Google has a flight by JAL to Japan and then Iberian to Madrid all booked on the JAL website. Very attractive and total crow-kilometres not much different.

I always try at least two or three sites to see the options and any major price differences. I then usually check the price with the airline as well, not out of self protection but because it can be cheaper. I have no favourites, as I have never found any site to be better than another and who offers the best deal varies from trip to trip (and day to day). The only big name site I never bother with is Expedia as that always seems to be more expensive.

Friends also tell me that Kayak also operates in the same fashion, but I’m perfectly happy with google flights
Google flights is based on what they purchased from itasoftware.com
They have not deleted the original version at https://matrix.itasoftware.com which I personally prefer.
I always compare Kayak with what I can get there. And once I find the lowest-priced acceptable flight on those, I check the airline because once in a while the airline’s own website has a better price!

The only big name site I never bother with is Expedia as that always seems to be more expensive.
There is a huge difference between searching on Google Flights and sites like Expedia, Travelocity, and the like. Google Flights is a search engine for flights that will find flight itineraries that you can then book directly on the airline site. Expedia is a third party booking service and you can only book through them.

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back