Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Illness after Orio to Zumaia on Tuesday (June 25, 2024)

katkins_in

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du Puy to Pamplona 2023
On the off chance that others are dealing with the same... my friend is walking with her 18 year old son, they started from San Sebastian last week... on their 3rd day, they walked from Orio to Zumaia.

Her son has been ill ever since that 3rd day (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps)... in spite of that they walked on to Deba, where they had to stay a couple of days, then they took transport to Bilbao where they still are. They've been to the hospital twice now. The first doctor thought it was viral and treated for symptoms... but now it's gone on too long to be a virus, probably. They're in Bilbao now, and have gone to the hospital there as well, but I haven't heard the results.

-----------

On that third day (June 25) they went through Zarautz, Getaria, and Askizu.

In Getaria they "found some snacks, a sandwich and split a drink by the steps of the Iglesia de San Salvador".

In Zumaia, they "found some salad and fried calamari and then ate some gelato"

While the two mostly ate the same things... they didn't completely overlap.

Anyone else along the route dealing with a similar affliction? Any ideas (all us internet doctors! :) ) what it might be? It doesn't seem to be heat stroke or heat exhaustion... They only had a couple of weeks to walk, so I think they're going to have quit, isolate, rest, and do touristy things until the young man recovers...

-Kevin

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
On the off chance that others are dealing with the same... my friend is walking with her 18 year old son, they started from San Sebastian last week... on their 3rd day, they walked from Orio to Zumaia.

Her son has been ill ever since that 3rd day (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach cramps)... in spite of that they walked on to Deba, where they had to stay a couple of days, then they took transport to Bilbao where they still are. They've been to the hospital twice now. The first doctor thought it was viral and treated for symptoms... but now it's gone on too long to be a virus, probably. They're in Bilbao now, and have gone to the hospital there as well, but I haven't heard the results.

-----------

In Getaria they "found some snacks, a sandwich and split a drink by the steps of the Iglesia de San Salvador".

Anyone else along the route dealing with a similar affliction? Any ideas (all us internet doctors! :) ) what it might be? It doesn't seem to be heat stroke or heat exhaustion... They only had a couple of weeks to walk, so I think they're going to have quit, isolate, rest, and do touristy things until the young man recovers...

-Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_4742.png
    IMG_4742.png
    404.2 KB · Views: 96
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In May I had similar thing here in Valencia. Doctor said there is a lot of this type of virus around. I had it for 10 days. Not pleasant. Symptom control and dry toast and liquid. Best of luck for speedy recovery .

-----------

-Kevin
.??Food poisoning …Salmonella maybe
Recently in the UK problems with lettuce and E. coli also

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I finished the Norte last Saturday, and want to post a few thoughts. Some may be of use to those thinking of walking the Norte in future. I’ve been on a bit of a Camino blitz this year -...
On the off chance that others are dealing with the same... my friend is walking with her 18 year old son, they started from San Sebastian last week... on their 3rd day, they walked from Orio to...
Hi, new to this forum and new to the Camino and already so grateful for all the fabulous info here. Thank you all. My husband and I (mid 60's) and my son are planning to walk some of the...
For those who have walked the Norte during the prime vacation month for Spaniards, how challenging was it to find accommodations? I start mid-August and have reservations through San Sebastian...
I'll be walking just seven days, San Sebastian to Bilbao. It's a warm-up, a test, and perhaps I'll return to do the rest later. I've done Frances, Portugues and a big chunk of Via de La Plata...
Hi everyone, we did the route from Hendaye to Bilbao last year and absolutely loved it. Will be picking back up from Bilbao later this week to walk up to Santander. Could you share any tips and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.