• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I wonder what the Gallegos call us pilgrims?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The state is often abbreviated as Mass even in speech and that has led to increased general usage of the term folks in neighboring states have used for our drivers, Massholes.
I think it’s fair to say that Massachusetts is the equivalent of Portugal. Wonderfully nice people, until they get behind the wheel.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I am thinking again: the people who called me a guiri were from the Basque Country.They are still friends, by the way! So, I have no idea what Gallegos would call me...
I did my best to escape the description but I came to the conclusion that once a stranger, always a stranger.. Seriously, it is something that applies on different levels. They laughed at my style, at my accent... and try as I might, and I did, reading all around me, there is no substitute for being of the place, of the people. The funny thing is, the Spanish speakers I come across in Dublin who hear me speaking now can be astonished that I am not from Bilbao!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think all countries do this to an extent don't they? We certainly do in New Zealand, (with regard to Aucklanders); and I've just gotten home after a short road trip with a friend where he was very derogatory towards the Berliners. Nor , might I add, is he alone in that regard.
When I lived and worked on the Greek islands the worst possible customer was somebody from Athens.... . For similar reasons to those described in the article quoted.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think all countries do this to an extent don't they? We certainly do in New Zealand, (with regard to Aucklanders); and I've just gotten home after a short road trip with a friend where he was very derogatory towards the Berliners. Nor , might I add, is he alone in that regard.
When I lived and worked on the Greek islands the worst possible customer was somebody from Athens.... . For similar reasons to those described in the article quoted.
Yes, I can testify to the hostility to Athenians in the rest of the country.

Giris (not sure about the spelling), but that is any foreigner.
That is any foreigner, but I think it is especially the northern European foreigners who come to Spain for sol y playa (sun and beach). I'm not sure it is used equally for pilgrims, especially on the less walked pilgrim routes.

I am, of course, open to correction by any Spanish members. I'm a guiri. What do I know?

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I think it’s fair to say that Massachusetts is the equivalent of Portugal. Wonderfully nice people, until they get behind the wheel.
My job at school was driving the student shuttle bus. When you are driving a big student bus down Mass Ave you just go and the other drivers get out of your way.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Romania is statistically the worst with 85 deaths per million inhabitants in 2022. Portugal is fifth with 63 and Italy tenth with 54. So be warned.

I have lived in Portugal and didn't find the driving that bad. The roads in Italy are quite bad. The motorways have very narrow lanes and often walls right next to the traffic. I've driven through Romania and didn't find anything notable about the driving standards, though some of the roads could do with improvements.

That is any foreigner, but I think it is especially the northern European foreigners who come to Spain for sol y playa (sun and beach). I'm not sure it is used equally for pilgrims, especially on the less walked pilgrim routes.
Yes David I agree. Guiri is not used for pilgrims. In relation to " fodechincho" is a marginal term in my opinion. Many Galegos don't know it. I visited Sanxenxo in May that is the touristic town with more Madrileños in summer by far and I realized speaking with locals that they were welcome.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure exactly what they call us, but a tee shirt worn by a local in La Coruna on Sunday may give a clue. It said "Buen Camino" on top of an arrow that was in reality the top of the middle finger of the yellow hand !
I can understand the sentiment. For those who do not directly benefit from the vast hordes now walking the major routes the presence of so many noisy and often demanding visitors may be a very mixed blessing. The novelty probably wore off a long time ago.

Romania is statistically the worst with 85 deaths per million inhabitants in 2022. Portugal is fifth with 63 and Italy tenth with 54. So be warned.
So what countries are the top 10 so we can be forewarned?

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Some of my best friends are JAFA’s!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Have you spent much time in Italy?
2+ years in Naples (also the same in Gibraltar, Southern tip of Spain), how I laughed at the traffic … especially since most of the time I was on a motorcycle (R1200RT) that my predecessor(s) really didn’t want me to bring. Took me to Sicily for a month every Spring, to Athens for 2 weeks (to instruct), to Istanbul & Ankara for 2 weeks. Too late now to say “touchwood” (disabled, but not due to a traffic accident) but I hadn’t had an accident in over 30 years. After those experiences, you can smile at any event (unless fatal to others).

In Cornwall, tourists used to be called (excuse the spelling) “emmetts”, translates to “ants” which I find quite appropriate since they mill around. The only difference being that tourists can keep a local economy afloat.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
How apt…
It’s almost like the Spanish population are fed-up with tourism driving their economy; what with water pistols at dusk outside restaurants on the coast & folks actually having the cheek to complain about people (read young hikers, certainly not pilgrims in spirit) stealing their food (&/or livelihood).

I am thinking again: the people who called me a guiri were from the Basque Country.They are still friends, by the way! So, I have no idea what Gallegos would call me...
I did my best to escape the description but I came to the conclusion that once a stranger, always a stranger.. Seriously, it is something that applies on different levels. They laughed at my style, at my accent... and try as I might, and I did, reading all around me, there is no substitute for being of the place, of the people. The funny thing is, the Spanish speakers I come across in Dublin who hear me speaking now can be astonished that I am not from Bilbao!
It's a word they use all over the country, I don't take it as being bad and think it is quite affectionate, as you say laughing at our funny habits.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
It's a word they use all over the country, I don't take it as being bad and think it is quite affectionate, as you say laughing at our funny habits.
I quite agree. I have deep gratitude to my Spanish friends for their patience with my attempts to understand who they are, and why. And literature is a wonderful way to grasp that.
My friends were not being horrible. They did spur me on, though. 😁
It was my hope to be able to acquire a respectful and correct accent. They deserve it! Maybe because of my background in Scotland, where French was the first language promoted in school in my day. It had been the language of culture and commerce, quite some years before I was born!
I was a fair bit older by the time I realised that a great percentage of the world population was Spanish speaking.
Our teachers, in school, were A1 long before the current AI. Note the difference in the A1 and AI typings.

Sorry. Latin was the first language. 😇
And this was what we chanted prior to class: Latin is a language as dead as dead can be. It killed the ancient Romans, and now it's killing me. It managed to fail my final Latin score. 😈

Last edited:
I quite agree. I have deep gratitude to my Spanish friends for their patience with my attempts to understand who they are, and why. And literature is a wonderful way to grasp that.
My friends were not being horrible. They did spur me on, though. 😁
It was my hope to be able to acquire a respectful and correct accent. They deserve it! Maybe because of my background in Scotland, where French was the first language promoted in school in my day. It had been the language of culture and commerce, quite some years before I was born!
I was a fair bit older by the time I realised that a great percentage of the world population was Spanish speaking.
Our teachers, in school, were A1 long before the current AI. Note the difference in the A1 and AI typings.
I learnt my Spanish as a boy trapped in Gibraltar (apart from Maroc, and one holiday in Lisbon that covered the “carnation flowers” peaceful overthrow of the government, excuse my memory but I believe that it was named after the flowers popped down the rifle barrels. A young girl gave me a white dove whilst I was there that I released in Gibraltar. Importing stuff wasn’t a problem in those days … a school chum’s dad was something in customs. The turbo-prop aircraft was Gib Airways) attending The Lourdes Comprehensive School. On returning to the UK, I attended the last Cornish Grammar School aged 14. Rather than allow me to take an O’Level in Spanish, I had to learn French from scratch … I managed to murder the language to the extent that the French teacher would ask “how can you wreck one romantic language whilst comfortable with another?” Pure pig-headedness I would think whilst smiling. Years later I returned to RAF Gibraltar as OC Ops, to find many school friends ensconced within the airfield and the Royal Gibraltar Police. It was as if I had never left.

Last edited:
From a forty-year-old newspaper column:

- In Mexico, do not stop unless a policeman draws his gun.
- In Japan, a pedestrian directly in front of your car has the right-of-way. Otherwise, it is your duty to ensure he doesn’t get there.

:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
driving such an interesting topic, ever got stuck driving around and around the arc of triumph im Paris. Copiloted a Neapolitan taxi, got transported via private car through Athenian traffic to hospital, where every priority road is to be discussed, having to learn in Assusion that there are roads with a little bit more right away, discovering that in the middle of a multilane roundabout is a Stop sign and nobody cares in Brussels, that on Methana the stop light is always red, but n Italy a suggestion, biggest sin in Germany is to drive on the Autobahn on the left side speed limit or got hunted down by crazy drivers around Washington DC? Not? Where traffic signs read like a knitting description in China ?
My friend told me India more interesting : Indian traffic laws says right is wrong .
As for nicknames who cares,.

From today's Guardian newspaper

Fish thieves

We have a similar thing in Kent, UK called DFLs - Down From London.
As someone else mentioned, the Guardian wrongly translated the word.
"Foder" is the Galician equivalent of "joder".
As a woman born in Santiago told me, it's quite a "feo" (ugly) word!
The Guardian usually has no qualms about printing the English translation of "joder" so it's odd that they chose "thieves" in this article...

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's the same in Guatemala. Guatemalans are the nicest people in the world until they get behind the wheel of a car or motorcycle of whch we are overrun here.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I can understand the sentiment. For those who do not directly benefit from the vast hordes now walking the major routes the presence of so many noisy and often demanding visitors may be a very mixed blessing. The novelty probably wore off a long time ago.
I felt that even those who were directly benefiting from Pilgrims were rather hostile when we walked the Frances in 2018. We didn't get a warm welcome or friendly service in any place on the Frances be it accommodation, restaurant, cafe or bar apart from a delightful waiter in Tricastella. Indifferent at best, and surly as the norm. I wonder what they thought once their cash cows dried up during Covid. Are they more welcoming now? Was that why those on the Podiensis were all kind, helpful, friendly and interested or is that the difference between the French and the Spanish?

Throughout the 45 days of my Camino Frances in 2017, I was treated with overwhelming warmth and affection; kind eyes and smiles to match; embraces and wishes well. In essence, my Camino experience was reflective of the Spain I have known and loved for over 50 years. I am in debt to the spirit of Spain and for what she has given to my spirit and soul, I am eternally grateful.

The Guardian usually has no qualms about printing the English translation of "joder" so it's odd that they chose "thieves" in this article...
I shall write to their corrections department!

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Not really. "Foder" has several meanings, including to spoil something, to cause damage or to annoy. Informally, it can be used with the meaning of stealing. So fish thieves is not really wrong, although it doesn't sound half as nice as "fodechinchos" 😂

Seedless?
Oh dear I started it so I guess I ought to explain.
On one hand Jaffas are a type of sweet in Aus & New Zealand - a hard red sugar coating, with chocolate inside.

On the other hand a Jafa ( one f) is " Just another f**** Aucklander"

Bear in mind that New Zealand's total population is 5.2 million, roughly a third of us live in Auckland. Aucklanders individually are often wonderful people, on mass they don't always have the best of reputations in the rest of New Zealand.....
Basically there's Auckland, and then there's south of the Bombay Hills. ie, where the rest of us (Hicks) live.

Like everything it's stereotypical - a bit like the stereotypical Texan being loud and obnoxious. Very few are but it only takes one to 'prove' the stereotype.

Last edited:
Not really. "Foder" has several meanings, including to spoil something, to cause damage or to annoy. Informally, it can be used with the meaning of stealing. So fish thieves is not really wrong, although it doesn't sound half as nice as "fodechinchos" 😂
Well I'm just quoting the lady (in her 60s) who was born and brought up in Santiago and she just said about it being the equivalent of "joder" (in Gallego) and being an "ugly" word ("feo")

Oh dear I started it so I guess I ought to explain.
On one hand Jaffas are a type of sweet in Aus & New Zealand - a hard red sugar coating, with chocolate inside.

On the other hand a Jafa is " Just another f**** Aucklander"

Bear in mind that New Zealand's total population is 5.2 million, roughly a third of us live in Auckland. Aucklanders individually are often wonderful people, on mass they don't always have the best of reputations in the rest of New Zealand.....
Basically there's Auckland, and then there's south of the Bombay Hills. ie, where the rest of us (Hicks) live.

Like everything it's stereotypical - a bit like the stereotypical Texan being loud and obnoxious. Very few are but it only takes one to 'prove' the stereotype.
Ah the beauty of language. In the UK, at least in my area, Jaffa is slang for a man who is infertile. So if you stand in an English pub and shout ‘some of my best friends are Jaffa’s’ you may get some bemused looks!

Last edited:
Well I'm just quoting the lady (in her 60s) who was born and brought up in Santiago and she just said about it being the equivalent of "joder" (in Gallego) and being an "ugly" word ("feo")
I was born and brought up in Galicia. I agree with the lady that "foder" is not a polite word and that it is the equivalent of "joder". But the "fish thieves" translation is still OK, if not as colourful as the Galician "fodechinchos"

In my home area and some other parts of the UK - particularly Northern Ireland - "Jaffa" is a slang term for Protestants.
Or Tangos

For the International Brigade here:

1 Norn Iron Protestants like to belong to a group called the Orange Order which itself comes from the Protestant William, Duke of Orange the Dutch nobel who invaded Britain in 1688 and claimed the throne.
2 Jaffa oranges that originated from an area in Palestine are large, juicy fruits that usually have no seeds - hence infertile
3 Tango is the UK brand name of a fizzy orange soda.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
No, I was just joking.
Whew! Our best friends from Singapore days will be with us for (American) Thanksgiving. They are from Toronto (Guelph Line). Extra rations of wine will be deployed and mention made of a certain David Tallan, fellow countryman, Toronto resident, and moderator extraordinaire for the Camino forum . . . :cool:

Whew! Our best friends from Singapore days will be with us for (American) Thanksgiving. They are from Toronto (Guelph Line). Extra rations of wine will be deployed and mention made of a certain David Tallan, fellow countryman, Toronto resident, and moderator extraordinaire for the Camino forum . . . :cool:
Always best to deploy extra rations of wine when my name is mentioned. :cool:

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Gallegos often call me “Bob” but I really prefer Robert. 😐. Oh, wait, did I misunderstand the question?

Gallegos often call me “Bob” but I really prefer Robert. 😐. Oh, wait, did I misunderstand the question?
Another Bob! Yey!

At a music festival my daughter bought a model of a skull (from the "weirdo tent") and, when asked why said she always fancied one and called it Bob.

Roll on a few years and, having told her I'd no recollection of having a teddy bear as a child, I received one for Christmas, a fine fellow rescued from a charity shop which I named . . . Bob

The following Easter my chocolate egg came with a stuffed bunny which I called . . . Bob

And the next Christmas I bought a novelty polar bear head from a garden centre (because the carol singing reindeer head "wasn't allowed") that still hangs proudly on the end of my bookcase 24/7 and called him . . . Bob

Daughter's reaction: "You can't call everything Bob!"

1725006111941.png

It seems, however, that you can.

Another Bob! Yey!

At a music festival my daughter bought a model of a skull (from the "weirdo tent") and, when asked why said she always fancied one and called it Bob.

Roll on a few years and, having told her I'd no recollection of having a teddy bear as a child, I received one for Christmas, a fine fellow rescued from a charity shop which I named . . . Bob

The following Easter my chocolate egg came with a stuffed bunny which I called . . . Bob

And the next Christmas I bought a novelty polar bear head from a garden centre (because the carol singing reindeer head "wasn't allowed") that still hangs proudly on the end of my bookcase 24/7 and called him . . . Bob

Daughter's reaction: "You can't call everything Bob!"

View attachment 176894

It seems, however, that you can.
I would not dare try to send you either the maquette or the finished piece (prohibitive cost) nor would I call either of them Bob.
Howandever, as is often used here in hibernoenglish 😇, I can at least send photos of the maquette and the finished creation. All my own work. My playtime activity.

IMG_2964.jpeg

Where I live, "dizzy" is slang for..... ;-)
I once wondered online “why do we call it 'fanny pack' when nobody wears it on their backside?" Then someone explained something about Australian slang …

If you’re learning Spanish in Spain, you might pick up “coger.” Try not to use it in Mexico.

Another word is “peas” in some countries, “knick-knacks” in another, and “breasts” in a third.

The list is endless …

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Following the horrors of bed bugs at the Paris Olympics, I saw this today. "A powdered clay nwn as Terre de Sommieres kills them if they walk on it" The Times of London. Tues 10th Sept 2024
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hola, todos. When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue. Now I'm looking to return to finish...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back