• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

I contracted Scabies on the Camino Frances in September 2024!!

bks

Time of past OR future Camino
Arles Route
I completed walking the Camino Frances, from SJPD, on October 3rd, 2024. After returning home a doctor confirmed (on Oct 7th.) that I had contracted scabies. I had noticed that I had acquired a rash on my hand a few days prior to completing my walk and initially I attributed it to brushing against something like stinging nettles, however, as the rash didn't disappear but subsequently spread, to my arms, buttocks, legs, etc. and became very itchy I suspected I had scabies, thus the doctors visit. Undoubtedly I contracted scabies in one of the hostels I slept in.

Anyone walking the Frances route, particularly at this time, should be aware of this, educate themselves about scabies and do whatever they can to prevent acquiring it.

Personally I've never used the blankets available in hostels and always tried to be as hygienic as possible but I still got infected.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Incubation period 4-6 weeks? So late August to early September.

What with the bed bugs and rabid dogs, it's tough being a pilgrim.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had contracted scabies
Sorry to hear this, @bks. Just curious: When did you start walking? Normally, I'd have a look at earlier posts but due to the current update of the forum software the Search function does not work.

I had a look at the link to the WHO webpage posted in comment #2. Up to now I knew about scabies only thanks to jokes in sitcoms and other TV series and movies. I understand it better now. No reason for panic but I note that these are precautions recommended on the WHO webpage, in addition to avoiding skin contact with an infested person, such as:
  • wash and dry bedding and clothing that has been in contact with the infested person, using hot water and drying in direct sunlight, a hot dryer cycle or dry cleaning;
  • seal items that can’t be washed in a plastic bag for a week to help eliminate the mites; and
  • clean and vacuum or sweep rooms after an infested person has been treated, especially for people with crusted scabies.
I hope you get rid of the infection very quickly!

I think the thread title needs editing. It is highly unlikely that you acquired scabies on the Camino. You should look to your pre-Camino activities
I contacted scabies on the Camino Frances! I live in a rural area with my sons' family of 6. None of them have any symptoms and they should have if I contracted scabies prior to walking the Frances.

Please don't question where I contracted scabies as that only does a disservice to others walking the Francis at this time and we all know that the hygrine in many hostels is not ideal, i.e. pilgrims using blankets that are not washed very often!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Incubation period 4-6 weeks? So late August to early September.

What with the bed bugs and rabid dogs, it's tough being a pilgrim.
Hola

That is not entirely correct.

After the initial exposure to scabies, symptoms can take 2 to 8 weeks to appear. However, symptoms usually develop more quickly in people who’ve had scabies before, often as soon as 1 to 4 days after exposure.

So it is possible that the poster contracted it while on the Camino.

Lettinggo

Sorry to hear this, @bks. Just curious: When did you start walking? Normally, I'd have a look at earlier posts but due to the current update of the forum software the Search function does not work.

I had a look at the link to the WHO webpage posted in comment #2. Up to now I knew about scabies only thanks to jokes in sitcoms and other TV series and movies. I understand it better now. No reason for panic but I note that these are precautions recommended on the WHO webpage, in addition to avoiding skin contact with an infested person, such as:
  • wash and dry bedding and clothing that has been in contact with the infested person, using hot water and drying in direct sunlight, a hot dryer cycle or dry cleaning;
  • seal items that can’t be washed in a plastic bag for a week to help eliminate the mites; and
  • clean and vacuum or sweep rooms after an infested person has been treated, especially for people with crusted scabies.
I hope you get rid of the infection very quickly!

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
I contacted scabies on the Camino Frances! I live in a rural area with my sons' family of 6. Non of them have any symptoms and they should have if I contracted scabies prior to walking the Frances.

Please don't question where I contracted scabies as that only does a disservice to others walking the Francis at this time and we all know that the hygrine in many hostels is not ideal, i.e. pilgrims using blankets that are not washed very often!
It is physically impossible to catch scabies from a blanket unless it is heavily encrusted with infected skin tissue from a infected person. You are attempting to perpetuate a ridiculous myth to the detriment of all the accommodation providers along the Camino Frances.

Please delete your post before this is spread all over the internet.

It's great to hear that your informing yourself about scabies (one does not only acquire it by skin to skin contact). I, as well, knew little about it until I contracted it.
I also want to make other pilgrims aware that while walking the Frances Camino (in Sept and Oct) I slept in the hostels that all of us use while walking and mites that cause scabies were undoubtedly left in these hostels, by me, ready to infect others.

Hola

After the initial exposure to scabies, symptoms can take 2 to 8 weeks to appear. However, symptoms usually develop more quickly in people who’ve had scabies before, often as soon as 1 to 4 days after exposure.

Lettinggo
But only from skin-to-skin contact. Not from a grubby blanket!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hola

Lettinggo

The only person doing a disservice here is you. Ignoring the possibility that you might have been in contact with someone with the condition before starting your Camino, and foregoing the opportunity to warn others in your community with whom you were in contact at that time, appears to me to be irresponsible. Certainly warning others on the Camino Frances with whom you were in contact is reasonable, but on the face of it, blaming it on contact with bed linen is not.

It is physically impossible to catch scabies from a blanket unless it is heavily encrusted with infected skin tissue from a infected person. You are attempting to perpetuate a ridiculous myth to the detriment of all the accommodation providers along the Camino Frances.

Please delete your post before this is spread all over the internet.
Your comments are doing a disservice to other pilgrims!!

I contacted scabies on the Camino Frances, not through skin to skin contact with another infected person, as you appear to be alleging!!I

I undoubtedly left mites, that cause scabies, in the hostels I slept in. These mites can live for several days on other surfaces (such as blankets, beds chairs, etc.) and attach themselves to other people who come into contact with them. Scabies infect hundreds of millions of individuals each year and the hostels on the Caminos are not immune to hosting the mites that cause scabies!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hola

Lettinggo

I hope the OP is OK, it's a shame some of the responses were not helpful. While unsual it is possible to catch scabies from shared blankets etc. In a pilgrim hostal setting this is unlikely to be a source of ongoing infections as the scabies mites die within 72 hours of leaving their human host. Off course the original person (not the OP) who may have infested the blanket might repeat this blanket infestation at the next hostal, but again the risk is low that this will then pass to another pilgrim. I would suspect it's very unlikely that this is going to result in a major outbreak of scabies on the Camino. Hopefully the original infected person has returned home and recieved treatment. Symptoms often develop 3 to 4 weeks after infection. DOI - experience of treating scabies & institional outbreaks in the past.

Hola

Lettinggo

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
The only person doing a disservice here is you. Ignoring the possibility that you might have been in contact with someone with the condition before starting your Camino, and foregoing the opportunity to warn others in your community with whom you were in contact at that time, appears to me to be irresponsible. Certainly warning others on the Camino Frances with whom you were in contact is reasonable, but on the face of it, blaming it on contact with bed linen is not.
Why the negative comments or the disrespect??
I'm never said I ignored the possibility that I might have been in contact with someone with the condition before starting the Camino. On a previous comment I even noted that no one in my family (there are 8 people in our household) has acquired scabies, and this includes my wife. I'm not sure why you and others are questioning my honesty.
Why do you want me to abstain from advising other pilgrims that I contacted scabies in a hostel on the Camino and that they might as well?

I undoubtedly left mites, that cause scabies, in the hostels I slept in.
This might be true, but anyone who uses words like undoubtedly as much as you appear to do invites the very doubt they are seeking to dispel.

If you were concerned about the presence of scabies mites in accommodation you have used, you or your GP would be advising the public health authorities in all the places that you have stayed before and during your camino. While such transmission seems unlikely according to many sources, these authorities are better placed than any of us on the forum to determine what action might be required.
I'm not sure why you and others are questioning my honesty.
No-one is doing that. They are suggesting other, more compelling, explanations for how you contracted the condition.
Why do you want me to abstain from advising other pilgrims that I contacted scabies in a hostel on the Camino and that they might as well?
I haven't suggested that you do, but given the very low likelihood of this as vector in the transmission of the scabies mite after three days or so, it seems very unlikely that any infestation will have persisted for what appears have been several weeks since you might have first been infected. It appears to be well past the time when your warnings make any sense.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I completed walking the Camino Frances, from SJPD, on October 3rd, 2024. After returning home a doctor confirmed (on Oct 7th.) that I had contracted scabies. I had noticed that I had acquired a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back