How to find places that don't do reservations

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Hi. I see some comments about places that don't accept reservations. How does one find such places? We are using the app Buen Camino.
The Gronze Camino Frances on line guide lists all accomodations for each town on the camino in an east to west sequence. For such places included in the citation is.
Datos básicos
Exclusivo para peregrinos: Si
Admite reserva: No

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
2016, 2022, 2023, 2024, planned 2025
When you look at the albergue profiles in Gronze.com you will see in the basic data whether the albergue only for pilgrims, whether they accept reservations, dates they are open, and what time the albergue opens for business.

Gronze.com does not have an app, but it is organized so that you can see it easily on your cell phone. There is also other information on the page such as how many beds are available, what services the albergue provides, and usually some photos. There is usually a price, but the price is not always kept up to date.

Gronze.com is a Spanish website. Use a Google Chrome browser and you can translate it.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
The Gronze Camino Frances on line guide lists all accomodations for each town on the camino in an east to west sequence. For such places included in the citation is.
Datos básicos
Exclusivo para peregrinos: Si
Admite reserva: Non
I didn't know that places are listed in any geographic order.
I have noticed that they usually list the public and parochial albergues first, and most of these don't accept reservations.

Reactions: peregrino_tom

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
I didn't know that places are listed in any geographic order.
I have noticed that they usually list the public and parochial albergues first, and most of these don't accept reservations.
The towns are listed in a geographic order as you find them on the camino. The accommodations are not in geographic order. Sorry if my post was unclear.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

dbier

Veteran Member
Feb 11, 2022
US
Last 114km C. Frances, Jul 21
2023 - C. Primitivo
I'm a little confused....I am using Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim for the Primitivo, and they clearly list Xunta albergues in Galicia, which I thought did not accept reservations.

Now, I'm apparently quite wrong about that...or the OP may not be aware that Buen Camino does list non-reservable places.

trecile

Staff member
Feb 19, 2016
Southern Oregon
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I'm a little confused....I am using Buen Camino and Wise Pilgrim for the Primitivo, and they clearly list Xunta albergues in Galicia, which I thought did not accept reservations.

Now, I'm apparently quite wrong about that...or the OP may not be aware that Buen Camino does list non-reservable places.
It does list non-reservable places, but it doesn't always make it clear which ones can be reserved or not.

For example here's the listing on Gronze for Albergue de peregrinos Casa del Cubo in Burgos where you can see that they don't accept reservations.

Screenshot_20230508_132249_Firefox.jpg

And the listing on Buen Camino for the same albergue.

Screenshot_20230508_132313_Buen Camino.jpg

I noticed that for the Xunta albergues in Galicia it's clear that they can't be reserved.

Screenshot_20230508_132715_Buen Camino.jpg

F

Former member 92300

Gronze .com has been my favorite source. Lists whether or not reservations are taken, but also lists phone, email and/or website for the accommodations (depending on what the accommodation uses) and if on booking... then lists that link too. I have found it is usually very up to date.

The other think I like about it is booking .com will list all places on their website - so if you aren't careful you might be FAR from the trail in a bigger city. Gronze only lists places in a reasonable distance of the trail and gives you a general indication of how far away from the trail it is.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

dougfitz

Veteran Member
Mar 12, 2011
Past: a few
Last: Sanabres
Next: St Olav's Way
Gronze.com does not have an app, but it is organized so that you can see it easily on your cell phone
This isn't correct. Gronze does have an app, available in the AppStore for Android users. I'm not sure of the development status of an iOS app. You do need to be join Gronze. It contains a slice of the Gronze data, and links out to the main Gronze site for more details. This does require internet access.

edit: if you go to the Gronze home page, there is a selection on the far right of the headline menu bar called 'apps'. You will find details there.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
This isn't correct. Gronze does have an app, available in the AppStore for Android users. I'm not sure of the development status of an iOS app. You do need to be join Gronze. It contains a slice of the Gronze data, and links out to the main Gronze site for more details. This does require internet access.

edit: if you go to the Gronze home page, there is a selection on the far right of the headline menu bar called 'apps'. You will find details there.
Yes, I thought they were still beta testing that and that it was mainly for maps. Do you find it is a good app? I just saved the link to my home page on my phone and I get the full usability from the website without the app or being a member.

J Willhaus

Veteran Member
Nov 3, 2014
Laramie, WY
Yes, I thought they were still beta testing that and that it was mainly for maps. Do you find it is a good app? I just saved the link to my home page on my phone and I get the full usability from the website without the app or being a member.
Thank you @dougfitz for pointing out the app. I downloaded it, but the website seems to work better for me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Plato

Solvitur Ambulando
May 24, 2021
France
The gronze app on Android mostly consists of a map (all the Spanish Camino trails and the main French ones) for the moment and any links to accommodation options brings you back to the gronze website.

I relied mostly on this combination of the gronze website & gronze map app on the Camino del Norte very recently and found it to be an invaluable resource.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides