Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How to change from central to coast before Porto

Joland

Peregrina always
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese 2014
Hi, I will be walking from Coimbra ( or maybe from Agueda in case of a heat wave) and studying the map I saw that before Porto there are also wooden paths along the ocean like first few stages after Porto. I wonder if anybody of you did succesfully a change from central camino the coast like in Ovar or Esmoritz? Is it possible? It is obviously not marked but easy to navigate.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Earlier this year I switch at Aveiro, with its canals and then took the ferry across to Sao Jacinto. The section from there to Esmoriz is fairly nondescript. Crossing at Esmoriz is probably the better choice.

From Esposende you are mainly in the Greater Porto area with some very pleasant beachside towns with cafes and parks. Some boardwalks but not many. Esposende on a Sunday when I passed through was thronged though by Monday morning it was back to being quiet.

If you were to stay on the main CP, you're likely to be going through populated areas without the benefit of sea views. I chose the sea views.

Attachments

• P1000576.JPG
    P1000576.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 8
  • P1000565.JPG
    P1000565.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 8
You could detour somewhere between Madeira and Grijo out to the coast at Espinho to walk the last 20km by the boardwalks and beaches up to the Foz at Lavadores, through the lovely fishing village of Afurada and then along the south bank of the Douro, into Porto. I've walked that section of coast a few times both ways. It's beautiful, the only downside is you'll then miss the spectacular entrance into Porto as the camino takes you straight over the high level Luis bridge into Porto from Gaia.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
the only downside is you'll then miss the spectacular entrance into Porto as the camino takes you straight over the high level Luis bridge into Porto from Gaia.
I agree completely on the spectacular entrance to Porto. The only comparable one I’ve had on any camino is walking into Matera on the Via Ellenica a few weeks ago.

Another option for the OP is to detour off the central towards the coast to the recommended Albergue Moinho Garcia, after Albergaria-a-Velha. The albergue owner can give you details of how to reach the coast from there.

Thank you all. I forgot to mention that I have already walked from Porto five times (camino da costa, litoral and central ) so I am searching for something new ( like visiting Aveiro or beaches before Porto) or taking a one day visit in Braga from Barcelinhos.
I will be walking with my kid in the bike trailer 😊 yes, I am thinkng about staying in the albergue in the watermill, thanks Jungleboy for recomendation.

You think google maps are sufficient no to get lost?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My husband and I are planning on walking this route starting July 16 from Porto to celebrate our honeymoon! I would love any of this community’s recommendations on romantic scenery...
Hey! I've lost a pair of socks and a boxer around Redondela. Now I am in Pontesampaio. If anyone sees it, can you please take it with you (it's clean haha), so I can get it back? Thank you! Buen...
Hi We are planning to do the Spanish section of the Portuguese Camino ( Tui to Santiago) at the end of August and are looking to pre book our bag transfer ( used Jacobean’s for Camino Francaise...
Hi, I will be walking from Coimbra ( or maybe from Agueda in case of a heat wave) and studying the map I saw that before Porto there are also wooden paths along the ocean like first few stages...
Here's something new that peregrinos on the Portuguese Central may want to look into-- Almost all the municipalities in the MedioTejo area have become part of a new e-bike network, where the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back