• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How much lambswool to bring?

TulasiPriya

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
For those who use it, how much do you take with you? The cheapest packages on Amazon are 7/8 oz, or 25 gm. Having never used lambswool (but it seems like it would be handy, or...um...footy), I have no idea how much to use in any given application. Also, can you wash, dry, and fluff it out to use again, or does it just turn into funky felt?

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A little goes a long ways, and you may find that you don't need it at all. I found that it wasn't that easy to wash and reuse. If you do find that you are using quite a bit, you can buy more in León and Astorga. This post is about where to buy it in León, and the big hiking sore in Astorga has it too.

I stopped in the pilgrim store Armería Castro.Deportes y Tienda del peregrino today, and they carry bags of wool to use on your feet.

View attachment 172158

If you train realistically at home, you should know whether or not you are blister-prone. Having not had a blister in over 4000km, my advice would be to not take any. But that's just me.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If you train realistically at home, you should know whether or not you are blister-prone. Having not had a blister in over 4000km, my advice would be to not take any. But that's just me.
I'm curious, how many km are you doing a day while training in the lead up to your trips? Do you double sock?

I carry only a little- enough for one hot-spot.

I have found prevention better than cure for blisters - well fitting shoes, only one pair of good socks (double socks caused my feet to overheat), airing my feet out, and checking for any issues. And using the wool early is better than the mess compeed can be (though I carry it too)
The wool has been rarely used - but is still part of my first aid kit as it weighs practically nothing.

When I first trained, I pushed myself a little, and found an area on my foot that was getting tender - a classic 'hotspot'. I took a piece of lambs wool large enough to cover it plus 50% on either side - best guess something around 75/100 millimeters..
I then used that as a guide as to how much I needed for one patch and multiplied that multiple times until my 1l Ziploc bag was full. (No I didn't cut it, it was in one continuous piece.)
I've done the same thing ever since and never used it all. I tend to find that I only need it towards the beginning of my Camino or if I do a longer day (35+km).
I wear the same piece for two or three days. Yes it does felt into my socks and no I don't bother to wash it. I simply remove it and install it into the new sock in the same place. After two or three days the pressure point has generally healed and I can then discard it.

The only time in years that I have ever had a blister was when I tried the Vaseline regime that some recommend. Within two hours I had a massive blister! I didn't even feel it forming, no hotspot. I cleaned my feet thoroughly, threaded it, put a couple of extra large Band-Aids over it, packed it out well with lambs wool and moved on. No more issues.

Double socking also does not work for me. An excellent reason to try different regimes whilst you are training.

Like so many things foot care is very individual.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For those who use it, how much do you take with you? The cheapest packages on Amazon are 7/8 oz, or 25 gm. Having never used lambswool (but it seems like it would be handy, or...um...footy), I have no idea how much to use in any given application. Also, can you wash, dry, and fluff it out to use again, or does it just turn into funky felt?

Buen Camino!
I learned that abbreviations don't really interest me, but one I looked up, fairly appropriate, is ymmv. Your mileage may vary. Not quite accurate for the metric system but never mind.
I bought a bag of New Zealand sheep's wool some years ago. I have shared it with at least two friends. Still have plenty left. It weighs little. It can also be found in mainland, western Europe. I would just squish in a good bundle of it. Hope you do not need it. It is like modern insurance premiums. More costly if you do not subscribe.😈 Buen camino.

I'm curious, how many km are you doing a day while training in the lead up to your trips?
My training fits my time available so it can be as little as five kilometres or as much as 20 in a normal week. I typically 'train' (go for a walk) roughly five days a week. Generally with at least a light backpack (2-3 kg). Towards the end with my full gear. Several weeks before I leave I will ensure that I walk 3 days of appx 20 kilometres back to back, with my kit, just to ensure that I've got everything dialed in. I also take every opportunity to climb the stairs, get off the bus one stop early, etc.
I feel if you can comfortably walk three days a week as a minimum, 15+ kilometers a day, you can comfortably walk the Camino. Yes you may well be doing more kilometres once actually on camino - but then you're not trying to do everything else that you have to fit into your normal life! The less you train the slower you want your start to be.

My training fits my time available so it can be as little as five kilometres or as much as 20 in a normal week. I typically 'train' (go for a walk) roughly five days a week. Generally with at least a light backpack (2-3 kg). Towards the end with my full gear. Several weeks before I leave I will ensure that I walk 3 days of appx 20 kilometres back to back, with my kit, just to ensure that I've got everything dialed in. I also take every opportunity to climb the stairs, get off the bus one stop early, etc.
I feel if you can comfortably walk three days a week as a minimum, 15+ kilometers a day, you can comfortably walk the Camino. Yes you may well be doing more kilometres once actually on camino - but then you're not trying to do everything else that you have to fit into your normal life! The less you train the slower you want your start to be.
Thank you for sharing this. It's great advice. I'll make sure I start getting in long consecutive hikes towards the end. I've plotted a 25 km route around my city that I'll do soon to gauge my timing. I want an idea of how I pull up after that. I think I usually hit 4-5 per hour on easy terrain.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Buen Camino!

I carry a 30 gm bag but probably only use half of it in a month.
The rest I give away.

Pat goes through about 60 gms in a month.
Her feet look like those of a Hobbit! :)

Neither of us have ever had blisters.......

I use a small piece on any hot spots or hard areas of skin that I get on the side of the arches.
I don't reuse it, as part of the benefit is the Lanolin in the wool, that of course ends up in your skin.

I had a couple of spare bags last year that I gave away to 'those in need' along the way.
It seemed to work wonders for them.

Last edited:
I have never heard of lambs wool. I’m training for a November Camino and developed hot spots in both heels. How do you use this? Looked in Amazon and the various products spoke about using between toes. Any suggestions on how to use? Thanks. Frank

Those New Zealand hikers introduced me to the idea - the "proper" stuff they buy is like bits off a sheep's fleece (that have been cleaned). In Ireland it looks like the bits of wool found on barbed wire fence that have pulled off the fleece. It's advantage is that it melds into your socks

I have never heard of lambs wool. I’m training for a November Camino and developed hot spots in both heels. How do you use this? Looked in Amazon and the various products spoke about using between toes. Any suggestions on how to use? Thanks. Frank
However, if you already are struggling with issues at your heels- that sounds that your shoes are the real issue. The wool is more a temporary fix, it isn't really designed to completely overcome a fit issue. Depending on your footwear you could try a different lacing technique like a heellock. Equally it may be worth trying a different sock. But it maybe that you need a different shoe. (I have a narrow ankle and heel - and I have a good pair of boots that are fine for 2 hours but after that cause issues at the heel- no matter what I tried (socks, lacing, wool, insoles etc) nothing really changed the hot-spot and blister at the back. )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
Lambswool was a great discovery for me, an excellent emergency workaround.
This year walking Camino Portuguese was a last minute opportunity, and I hadn't done enough training.
I got some blisters after pushing too hard one day when I had to walk two stages in a single day which resulted in 45km and rush to get to an albergue before it closed and used all of my small stock of lambswool next day. The second hand lambswool could be teased out a bit and reused but it was hard work, time consuming and was not as good as fresh stuff. Unfortunately all I could buy was conventional cotton wool - which didn't felt into my sock as well and moved during the day.
Without doubt the blisters came from pushing too hard, and were reduced by using walking poles.
One final word of caution, the medics get concerned if the lambswool gets wrapped around a toe as it can tighten and strangle the blood supply.

I had a couple of spare bags last year that I gave away to 'those in need' along the way.
Rob
I carry a bag of wool and use as necessary after watching one of your videos. Over 1000 km later, I never had a blister (knock on wood). It's part of an extensive regimen of foot prep but so far 100 percent successful. Keep spreading the good news amigo!

HI Joe,
Would you please share your foot prep regimen? Thank you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
HI Joe,
Would you please share your foot prep regimen? Thank you.
For sure amigo. Start early ;)
Everyday Vaseline generously applied to all toes, both soles and heels
Toe sleeves as needed
Alternating days - ball of foot pads
Most days thin wool toe socks alternating with 'normal' liner socks
As needed, hikers wool strategically placed around toe groups (not individual toes) and under the balls of each foot, a little goes a long way and (possibly) selectively re-used once
Always Medium merino wool socks
Remove Hoka trail runners at every stop (social distancing recommended😂)
Sporadically for half of day, I try to swap my Hokas for Keen water / shower shoes,
Whew, it makes me tired thinking about all that work but so far - no blisters
Hope that helps
Good Way

Last edited:
I'm curious, how many km are you doing a day while training in the lead up to your trips? Do you double sock?
Over several months I work up from my base of 30k/week to 15-18k/day for 5 days a week. Also do upper body gym work to negate weight of pack. And I walk with pack, gradually adding weight until it is within 1-2 pounds of what I will be carrying, generally 15-16 lbs. I wear Salomon boots and 2-layered Wright socks, and use Body-Glide or Foot-Glide between my toes, on the pads of my toes, on the soles of my feet. Never so much as a hot spot. Everyone's feet are different. Different footwear. Different socks. Some people have sweaty feet that macerated in their boots. Some have dry feet that look better after 1000k in boots/socks than at home in bare feet and sandals. There is NO one size fits all here. That works for me, and I wouldn't change a thing. It may not work for others. Bottom line: train and test at home, and then ignore anything that doesn't work for you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for explaining this. Could you maybe make a video showing how you apply the wool to feet/toes? Do you fix it to the tor or just put sock over it?

I carry a 30 gm bag but probably only use half of it in a month.
The rest I give away.

Pat goes through about 60 gms in a month.
Her feet look like those of a Hobbit! :)

Neither of us have ever had blisters.......

I use a small piece on any hot spots or hard areas of skin that I get on the side of the arches.
I don't reuse it, as part of the benefit is the Lanolin in the wool, that of course ends up in your skin.

Thank you for explaining this. Could you maybe make a video showing how you apply the wool to feet/toes? Do you fix it to the tor or just put sock over it?

Here you are.
It's part of a whole daily regime.
The wool part is at about 5:00.
Never had a blister yet.........

Of course 'some' people, work on the basis of 'more must be better'.
My wife's "hobbit" feet..........
This much is not required...... :rolleyes:

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Over several months I work up from my base of 30k/week to 15-18k/day for 5 days a week. Also do upper body gym work to negate weight of pack. And I walk with pack, gradually adding weight until it is within 1-2 pounds of what I will be carrying, generally 15-16 lbs. I wear Salomon boots and 2-layered Wright socks, and use Body-Glide or Foot-Glide between my toes, on the pads of my toes, on the soles of my feet. Never so much as a hot spot. Everyone's feet are different. Different footwear. Different socks. Some people have sweaty feet that macerated in their boots. Some have dry feet that look better after 1000k in boots/socks than at home in bare feet and sandals. There is NO one size fits all here. That works for me, and I wouldn't change a thing. It may not work for others. Bottom line: train and test at home, and then ignore anything that doesn't work for you.
Thank you. The socks and foot glide look great. I'll definitely be trying both out.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here (who misspells things in post titles when not wearing glasses!!) and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.