Search 74,075 Camino Questions

How many days off did you take on the CF?

Mackcrabs

Time of past OR future Camino
Christmas 2024
I plan to do the CF from SJPDP on March 2025. It appears the number of days is usually 32-33 days. I know people usually take more than 33 days for various reasons.

My question for people that have done the entire CF, what is your experience in regard to number of days? Did you take a day off because you wanted to explore and enjoy a town? Were you just plain exhausted and needed to recharge? Was it an injury? Also, how hard is it to do walk everyday and complete it in 33 days?

Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My friend and I chose to walk 20km stages with 25km our max. We sometimes took 2 days of 10-12km rather than take a day off. We did have one extra day in Leon to explore the sights. We never felt the need for full rest days and we suffered no injuries or blisters. Both in our mid 60's we had plenty of time. Your circumstances might be entirely different but if you're able to take the time then do....savour every step.

My friend and I chose to walk 20km stages with 25km our max. We sometimes took 2 days of 10-12km rather than take a day off. We did have one extra day in Leon to explore the sights. We never felt the need for full rest days and we suffered no injuries or blisters. Both in our mid 60's we had plenty of time. Your circumstances might be entirely different but if you're able to take the time then do....savour every step.
Thanks Carolam! Yes, I am also 61 and doing it solo. I bike 20-40 mile 3 or 4 times a week. I feel as if I am in good shape to tackle the entire CF. Thanks for including your age. That was very helpful.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Carolam! Yes, I am also 61 and doing it solo. I bike 20-40 mile 3 or 4 times a week. I feel as if I am in good shape to tackle the entire CF. Thanks for including your age. That was very helpful.
We started in SJPdP and continued to Finisterre. We did take a day in Santiago too. We've both been to Santiago before but it's worth more than one day if you can.

Pace yourself at the beginning. Don't let enthusiasm speed you up...this is a marathon, not a sprint 😅

For planning, my recommendation is to determine how many days you think that you will need to walk the Camino, then add a week. Now you've got a week "in the bank" to use if you get sick, injured, realize that you can't or don't want to walk the distances that you originally planned on, feel like spending an extra day in an interesting town, etc. If you don't use any of those days in your "bank" before you reach Santiago you can use them later to walk to Finisterre and/or Muxía, visit another town in the region, etc.

My friend and I chose to walk 20km stages with 25km our max. We sometimes took 2 days of 10-12km rather than take a day off
This is what I prefer doing instead of taking a full day off. I can arrive in a place like Burgos or León early enough in the day to see plenty of the local sites, stay out a little later then sleep in before walking another short stage. I book a private room where I can drop off my backpack upon arrival to go sightseeing unencumbered and sleep in without being disturbed by early risers.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
From SJPdP to SdC took us 58 days, 48 days walking. A touring day each in Burgos and León, an extra night in two albergues due to illness and later tendonitis. Three days in Sahagún recovering from the illness but including being tourists and three days in Astorga recovering from the tendonitis but also doing touristing (in a wheelchair borrowed from the Red Cross).

Also, how hard is it to do walk everyday and complete it in 33 days?
I think that to walk the Camino Frances in precisely 33 days requires more effort than I am prepared to put into the venture. Those determined to follow St John’s stages and timetable will walk some over-long and some oddly short stages. Far better to just walk and see how long it takes.

I’ve walked it in 26 days and I’ve spent 40 days on the same route. I probably enjoyed more good lunches and considerably more beer on the longer trip. I don’t do rest-days. I do do lunch. And the odd diversion to see something worth seeing or, occasionally, just stopping. Stopping as in: this looks fun/interesting/different/rainy - I think I’ll just stop here.

@Mackcrabs, the hardest bit of venturing Camino for most people is the daily grind of walk, eat, sleep, repeat. So yours is a good question, just one without an answer. My Scout Master’s answer to the question “how long is a piece of string?” was always “6 inches too short but that doesn’t matter because you can always tie a different knot”.

I plan to do the CF from SJPDP on March 2025. It appears the number of days is usually 32-33 days. I know people usually take more than 33 days for various reasons.

My question for people that have done the entire CF, what is your experience in regard to number of days? Did you take a day off because you wanted to explore and enjoy a town? Were you just plain exhausted and needed to recharge? Was it an injury? Also, how hard is it to do walk everyday and complete it in 33 days?

Thanks
I took no days off. I repeat what the poster above wrote: how long is a piece of string? From Roncesvalles to Santiago, 29 days, averaging 25km per day. You are you. Make your plans and be ready to change them. 👣

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked the CF seven years ago in 28 days however it was in August. I found it easier because the days were longer and I could start walking at 630am.
Last year I walked in 33 days in October.
The first two weeks were hot and yes I was exhausted but soldiered on. I only started walking at 8 am in the dark. I walked much shorter days 17 k when the rain came for the last two weeks. One day I walked 5 k as I was unwell. Extra time is a buffer if you have it. I am 70.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
It's a very personal thing and there are too many variables really.
  1. Fitness
  2. Health
  3. Bodyweight
  4. Gearweight
  5. Condition of feet and joints
  6. Preferred walking speed / daily distance
  7. Injuries that might occur
  8. Places you want to spend time in.
  9. People you want to spend time with
  10. Weather
  11. Gear failure
  12. Mood/emotional state
I think all you can do is establish your likely average daily distance and add some buffer.
I usually add 1 rest day per 7 walking days.
Plus 2-3 extra 'just in case'.
I may or may not take a rest day.
Often I prefer just a short day.

I've walked from St Jean twice, both times in 40 days.
That was right...........for us.
I think that was with 3 rest days taken when needed, rather than any specific place.

I walked the CF in 38 days. I could've finished it in less, but I took it slow at that time. I also had some back issues and sciatica (but surprisingly, that went away as I was walking). I took some shorter days of walking on a few days when I caught a cold. Took two days off in Burgos and Sarria to explore. My biggest lesson last year was that I needed body awareness. I recommend paying attention to your body, how you're walking, and how you're tensing up in different parts and finding ways to relax more. I also realized that we're here to take care of ourselves, love ourselves, and know our limitations. You'll be just fine! :D

I planned on 3 days off to "play tourist". I wound taking just one (1st one) in Burgos and was glad that I had that pre-planned 2 days reservation because instead of playing tourist I spent it laying in bed nursing my blisters (Well to be fair I did ventured out - how could I not! - but just not as intense as I planned).
I chalked up the other 2 days to couple of shorter stages like others did and stated in some of the above posts.

I spent 2 5 days in SdC after meeting my wife there and then we both walked to Finisterre in 3.5 days.

All in all I started from SJPDP on May 21st and arrived at Finisterre on July 1st

Good luck and Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked SJPdP to SdC at age 64 in a very comfortable 35 days of walking. I took a day off in both Burgos and Leon, not because I needed rest days, but because they were interesting places to explore. The cathedrals, Museum of Human Evolution in B. On my "days off" I averaged about 15k/day in my flip flops, so not exactly "rest" days. 😉

An example of a good "day off" is to start walking at about 6am and arrive at the destination about 8 or 9 which then allows a full day of being there, ideally leaving your pack at the Albergue when you arrive whilst the Hospitalero or cleaner is still there.

Most people could do it. I´m pretty sure you could The question is, do you want to? If you allow extra time you can:
  1. Take a day or two off if you have a niggling little injury or bad blisters or get sick
  2. Enjoy a day lolling around in a private room
  3. Explore a particularly interesting town (of which there are several)
  4. Do a side excursion to e.g. St Maria Eunate church
  5. Wait for the weather to get better (starting in March? Strong likelihood of bad weather)
  6. If you get to Santiago early, walk out to Fisterra or even hang out in Santiago
  7. Relax and not worry about missing the plane home
So lots of reasons to factor in more then 33 days. Or not. It´s up to you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Most people could do it. I´m pretty sure you could The question is, do you want to? If you allow extra time you can:
  1. Take a day or two off if you have a niggling little injury or bad blisters or get sick
  2. Enjoy a day lolling around in a private room
  3. Explore a particularly interesting town (of which there are several)
  4. Do a side excursion to e.g. St Maria Eunate church
  5. Wait for the weather to get better (starting in March? Strong likelihood of bad weather)
  6. If you get to Santiago early, walk out to Fisterra or even hang out in Santiago
  7. Relax and not worry about missing the plane home
So lots of reasons to factor in more then 33 days. Or not. It´s up to you.
Thanks so much for all that responded. A lot of great advice. I always planned to spend an extra day in Leon and Pamplona. I might incorporate a total of 6 extra days. It seems prudent to do so. My goal was to arrive in Santiago just before Easter. I will have to count backwards and figure my new start date.

Again, thanks for all the advice!

Mack

Whilst we use ‘days’ as the metric I guess that is somewhat ‘iffy’ as many people walk, say 5 hours (maybe quickly or even slowly) a day and some walk 10 (which is me, very slowly!).

I guess consider what your interests are. So for me the priority is to have a nice lunch and stop at a few bars in the afternoon. I like to get a copy of Marca (the Spanish daily sports paper) and read it in a bar and that tends to be a conversation starter with the old fellas, who line the bar. I don’t, say, go inside churches, or really stop anywhere for any other reasons than eating, drinking, and talking. I like walking into the evening and don’t have blogs to write, or photos to download, so consider what your ‘obligations’ will be too! Just laundry I guess.

I know I need a very light pack as I have poor upper body strength and ‘travelling light’ tends to release the ‘free spirit’ in me. A much heavier pack would double my time! I tend to be fine walking day after day which is tough for some, and am also a morning person so that all helps on a Camino. I am not fit but have always walked as never owned a car so that will obviously help too. Also I was on a time schedule so that motivated me to ‘crack on’.

When I walked most people were doing around 26-30 days but it was during Covid and it was mainly younger Europeans. I think we have an older demographic on here, so factor that in.

You sound quite fit so it sounds like you have the luxury of choosing how you want to progress.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
SJPdP to SdC in 32 days then 3 more to Finesterre. Like many other posters, some days were short giving me time to explore, others longer with less free time. No, designated rest days. Luckily I remained blister/injury/illness free. About half way, I met a guy who, to win a bet was walking SJPdP - SdC in 19 days. He said he was focused on the ground in front of his feet and not really enjoying it because he wasn't able to connect with the country/people/experience. It was all about the bet. A shame really, but that was his Camino. I have no idea if he made it.

Next year I'm walking SJPdP to Muxia with 44 days in the kitty so I can see more, do more, enjoy more - and I'm soooo excited!! 🥳

Plan, bend with the wind and enjoy it all. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
In my 2016 Camino (Roncesvalles to Finisterre) with my son, we took a rest day in Burgos. Then in Astorga we took another, when he desperately needed it to heal his feet. From that we learned not to walk so far each day. All in all it was 37 days (35 walking) to Santiago and another 4 to Finisterre.

On my 2018 Camino Portugues there were no resting days, but some shorter ones. On my grand 2023 Camino there was 1 resting day (stomach issues) and 51 walking days, but some of those walking days were short (as short as 6 km).

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
LOts of great points in the comments above. Just one more I would like to add for consideration. Taking a rest day also means that your new found friends may become a day ahead of you. May sound odd but Camino friendships become real, intense, hard to let go. On the other hand, you may all rest together.

I did my 1st Camino this past April/May, 2024. I am 60 now, but 59 at the time. I did it solo from SJPdP to SdC. I did some days of 18-20 km (very few), and some where I did 30-32 km. Overall, I averaged right at 25 km/day for the entire journey with a final day of 40 km (I was really excited). I took a rest day probably once a week just to re-charge. Never had any blisters or joint problems, although my lower back was sore the first 2 weeks (backpack was only about 13 lbs. or about 6kg). Taking rest days helped re-charge and slow me down. Only downside was I lost track of several acquaintances I had made along the way. Buen Camino!

LOts of great points in the comments above. Just one more I would like to add for consideration. Taking a rest day also means that your new found friends may become a day ahead of you. May sound odd but Camino friendships become real, intense, hard to let go. On the other hand, you may all rest together.
Alternatively, you may feel that you want to escape your ´camino family´. Another reason to take a day out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks
Took three. Could have done only 2. Burgos Leon and Saiia. Would have skipped the Sarria stop

7 days since I left SJPP. Rest day in Lograno. My feet appreciating the day off and the food/wine in Lograno is fantastic. Next rest day scheduled for Leon in about 12 days time because I like that city very much as well. Planning for 32 days of walking plus 2 rest days.

Dear pilgrim…..my take on it….?……short days instead of Zero days…..??….in my experience that is better regarding recovery and adaptation…..cause no one can «train» for a camino…..then you have to replicate the same….and another highlight is that health progress is in resting state….while sleeping….

Whatever your choice is, you will bee fine🙏🏼

ULTREIA🙏🏼!

Thanks

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).

Thanks
I didn’t take any days off, I walked a couple of 10km days.

Thanks
I didn’t take any days off but walked a couple of 10 km days for my rest days. Buen Camino 🥾

Thanks
One question, 1000 answers and no single right answer. Everyone is different. I have walked the full Frances twice. Each time 23-25 days. Full rest days didn't work too well for me, so I did a few half days - walked til midday, then chilled out. As a few others have said, I prefer the walking and the path to the towns, so generally keep walking. Obviously illness and injury plays a role but I have so far been fortunate. Only you will know, based on fitness, experience what will work best for you and you will figure it out as you go. i am 63 years old but likely fitter than most, averaging 10-15 miles of hiking and trail running every day over the past few years.

Thanks
At age 60, I did SJPDP to Finisterre in 34 days. Just repeated at age 66 and spent 38 days, taking an extra day in Burgos, Leon, Santiago and Finisterre for exploring. Learned a lot more about the towns, but my body didn't like the full stop days ;-). The idea of short days before and after to have more visit time sounds like a great idea.

Last year I did it in 31 days, which included one day of rest in Leon. I rested as I waited for my daughter to arrive, as she was walking the rest of the way with me. The first few days was a grind, but it got easier after that. I was 76 years old at the time. Buen Camino.

Thanks
Buen Camino Mack. I was 60 and in good shape and pretty well trained in 2016. I had a time crunch, so pushed it as hard as I could (regret that), while the priority was to finish. It took me from April 19 to May 19, with no days off, though I took 3 half days. By the end, I was exhausted and sick. SJPdP to SdC. Best wishes to you!

Another "piece of string" here. First two CFs from SJPP to SdC were both 32 days walking but added two rest days on the second one.
Next was Pamplona to SdC 31 days walking (with a tyro Pilgrim) and we had one rest day.
Last CF was also from Pamplona, with the same companion but 29 walking days and no rest days.
With hindsight I would have walked slower and not bothered with the rest stops.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks
I had planned three days off - each a single day at a time in various cities. But after my first day off exploring Logrono what I realized is that I enjoyed the company of my fellow pilgrims more than touring the cities. I then hurried and caught up to the groups I had met earlier by walking 1/3 longer each day for three days, and then never took another rest day until Santiago. Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Thanks
I walked my first Camino in 2011 in 28 days at the age of 65. I have never taken a day off on any of my Caminos as I have never felt the need to spend a day resting.

Thanks so much for all that responded. A lot of great advice. I always planned to spend an extra day in Leon and Pamplona. I might incorporate a total of 6 extra days. It seems prudent to do so. My goal was to arrive in Santiago just before Easter. I will have to count backwards and figure my new start date.

Again, thanks for all the advice!

Mack
Mack: I did the CF in 45 days. One rest day in Leon. I was in my mid-70s. I purposely took my time. If you have the resource of time, may I suggest you go at a leisurely pace and savor every moment on the Camino. None of us knows when we will or can pass this way again.

The 2025 edition of the Lightfoot Guide to the via Podiensis is now available
My partner and I have walked on the CF twice. We walked 42 days the first time and 45 the second time. We are in our mid-70's. Neither time did we really come close to completing the walk, walking 220 and 360 miles respectively. Illness, (5 nights in Pamplona on the 2nd attempt, as an example). My partner is a slower walker; I am a fairly slow walker. Next Spring I plan on going solo and am thinking about getting a one way plane ticket (Portland, Or. to wherever) and then figuring out my return date on the fly. I know solo hiking pretty much adds a few KM's to the walk totals each day. I suspect that, alone, at age 74, I can make that 45 days timeframe. I think for some, particularly young people, walking is a little like weight lifting, keep lifting heavier and heavier, keep walking faster, longer until you hurt yourself. We met several in our two walks with leg injuries who had to check out early.

None, neither walking the Francés from SJPdP twice (20 and 19 days) nor on any other Camino route. I am fortunate to recover fast and have never felt the need. A couple of times I've walked a stage of about 18 km in order to visit a city, otherwise I like to arrive at my destination at about 2 or 3 p.m. and so walk longer stages than the average walker.

Thanks
I took four on my first ever Camino. One each at Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada and Astorga.

Actually, I had a full weekend at Burgos, as I needed to seek medical attention for infected calluses on one of my heels. But, I spent one additional day at each of the other places.

In general, my stays were for learning and experiencing the cities, not for rest, per se.

Because of this, I always recommend planning six full weeks (42 days) to do the Frances. That means about 33 - 35 walking stages, if you are adhering to the Brierely Plan. Plus, another week for rst days or intentional - tourist - sort of stay overs.

The journey is remarkable. I have learned that the journey IS the destination. So, I usually try to make it last and to savor it more fully. Plus, building in extra time gives me more flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Tom

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hi Charles. I assume you are from Portland. I'm just up the road from you in Anacortes. We both have plenty of hills and nearby mountains on which to train. I was in decent shape when I did the CF in 2017 at age 75. I suffered no blisters. One reason for that, I think, was my pacing. I kept my pack at just under 20 pounds fully loaded. You'll be just fine. John

I was 67 and my wife 65 when we walked in 2017. We referred to ourselves as the " snails on the trail". We did 36 days of walking with one day on the train from Sahagun to Leon because of difficulty reserving accommodations in Leon on our proposed day had we walked but also because it facilitated arriving in Santiago on a Sunday. We took no rest days but taking the train into Leon gave us time to explore the city. Felt like 36 or 37 days was doable for us and we finished injury free.

I agree with above comments that propose planning how long you think it will take and add a few extra days . If you don't need them for walking or resting, you will have no trouble finding something interesting to do in Spain with the extra time.

Buen Camino!

I took four on my first ever Camino. One each at Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada and Astorga.

Actually, I had a full weekend at Burgos, as I needed to seek medical attention for infected calluses on one of my heels. But, I spent one additional day at each of the other places.

In general, my stays were for learning and experiencing the cities, not for rest, per se.

Because of this, I always recommend planning six full weeks (42 days) to do the Frances. That means about 33 - 35 walking stages, if you are adhering to the Brierely Plan. Plus, another week for rst days or intentional - tourist - sort of stay overs.

The journey is remarkable. I have learned that the journey IS the destination. So, I usually try to make it last and to savor it more fully. Plus, building in extra time gives me more flexibility.

Hope this helps.

Tom
Bravo, Tom!

I came nowhere near completing the CF, even though I'm in reasonable shape for my age (66), a life-long weight-trainer and had spent months training on hills etc. I had to bail by Logroño, 7 days in.

Unexpected, adverse weather in the earliest days was a HUGE factor. The day before I arrived at SJPdP, three pilgrims died of dehydration on Camino routes. The day of arrival, the folks in the pilgrim's office were advising people that the weather forecast for the next day was extremely poor for hiking (cold, very heavy rains and low cloud deck), and to either abort or use the Valcarlos route.

Too many did neither. People were arriving in Roncesvalles hypothermic, and others had to be medivac'ed off the mountain due to injuries from the extremely wet/slippery conditions. Many had buggered up their knees or twisted their ankles. Most of what I saw wasn't particularly well-correlated with age or experience, either. (There were middle-aged couples who were sailing through, and hikers who had thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail who were already in trouble, and who were done by the time they got to Puente la Reina.) The next day, the descent into Zubiri (which was still quite wet from the localized heavy rains) all-but-finished a number of other peregrinos, though some just aborted at the Alto de Erro staging area and got a taxi into Zubiri. I met several peregrinos later in Larrasoaña who looked like the walking wounded, and these were people who had walked the CF before.

By day 6 at Los Arcos, I saw a number of familiar faces who were bailing, mostly because the injuries were piling up and they didn't have the luxury of staying in one place for days to try and reset (their itineraries wouldn't allow it). I made the hard decision at that time to be one of the bailees.

The Camino provides, but what it mostly provides is the unexpected and a humbling experience. I'm glad I went, I'm probably going back next year to try again, and I really, really believe that the "standard" hiking itinerary popularized by people such as John Brierley (RIP) is far too ambitious for the early stages, particularly because the end of each day is a somewhat steep downhill which becomes much worse in poor weather and which is bad enough even when conditions are favourable, because you're tired and clumsy from the hike. Those downhills should be at or near the beginning of a stage, not the end! If it's not possible for them to be at the beginning, then the stage leading up to them should be as short as possible.

I have my candidate "re-built" itinerary already in mind, which features a gradual ramping-up of effort over the first days until Puente la Reina, and would take at least 6 days (and probably 7, weather permitting) to make it to PlaR, after which the distances gradually "open up."

What I've said above will probably appall many of the hard-core contributors, but if someone wants to know how to be successful on the CF, they should probably consider why some folks "failed & bailed." That's as instructive as the successes.

Thanks
I completed it last year mid may to end of June in 32 days + 9 days not walking the route. Did it on my own which meant I could walk it at my pace. Stopped in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon and Triacastela. I would not describe these as "rest days" as I spent most of the time walking to see various sites in these places - Burgos being the best. Doing it in June meant long days - leaving time to stop in various other places on the way. At the end i spent four further days to visit Santiago, Finisterre and a Coruña. Would also recommend a stop in Castrojerez

I didn't take any days off until I got to Santiago and I did it in
30+-. I did have two really short days. One going into Belorado
from Granon because it was hot and my friends wanted to stop
at the Albergue with a pool. The second short day was going
into Leon. I couldn't get a bed in Mansilla so I kept walking
to Villarente. Then the next day going into Leon was just
9 miles. I was 64 when I did the camino in Sept 22. I did go
to the gym almost everyday before I did the trip or I did a 5 mile
hike. And I did specific exercises to strengthen my knees.
It worked.

I came nowhere near completing the CF, even though I'm in reasonable shape for my age (66), a life-long weight-trainer and had spent months training on hills etc. I had to bail by Logroño, 7 days in.

Unexpected, adverse weather in the earliest days was a HUGE factor. The day before I arrived at SJPdP, three pilgrims died of dehydration on Camino routes. The day of arrival, the folks in the pilgrim's office were advising people that the weather forecast for the next day was extremely poor for hiking (cold, very heavy rains and low cloud deck), and to either abort or use the Valcarlos route.

Too many did neither. People were arriving in Roncesvalles hypothermic, and others had to be medivac'ed off the mountain due to injuries from the extremely wet/slippery conditions. Many had buggered up their knees or twisted their ankles. Most of what I saw wasn't particularly well-correlated with age or experience, either. (There were middle-aged couples who were sailing through, and hikers who had thru-hiked the Pacific Crest Trail who were already in trouble, and who were done by the time they got to Puente la Reina.) The next day, the descent into Zubiri (which was still quite wet from the localized heavy rains) all-but-finished a number of other peregrinos, though some just aborted at the Alto de Erro staging area and got a taxi into Zubiri. I met several peregrinos later in Larrasoaña who looked like the walking wounded, and these were people who had walked the CF before.

By day 6 at Los Arcos, I saw a number of familiar faces who were bailing, mostly because the injuries were piling up and they didn't have the luxury of staying in one place for days to try and reset (their itineraries wouldn't allow it). I made the hard decision at that time to be one of the bailees.

The Camino provides, but what it mostly provides is the unexpected and a humbling experience. I'm glad I went, I'm probably going back next year to try again, and I really, really believe that the "standard" hiking itinerary popularized by people such as John Brierley (RIP) is far too ambitious for the early stages, particularly because the end of each day is a somewhat steep downhill which becomes much worse in poor weather and which is bad enough even when conditions are favourable, because you're tired and clumsy from the hike. Those downhills should be at or near the beginning of a stage, not the end! If it's not possible for them to be at the beginning, then the stage leading up to them should be as short as possible.

I have my candidate "re-built" itinerary already in mind, which features a gradual ramping-up of effort over the first days until Puente la Reina, and would take at least 6 days (and probably 7, weather permitting) to make it to PlaR, after which the distances gradually "open up."

What I've said above will probably appall many of the hard-core contributors, but if someone wants to know how to be successful on the CF, they should probably consider why some folks "failed & bailed." That's as instructive as the successes.
Great points. I don't think this will appall anybody on this site (all who are very friendly and helpful). The biggest point to keep in mind about the Camino is "do it your way" - speed, length, stops, packing or portering, etc. There are certainly the more common norms, but each should do it to enjoy it and absorb what there is to offer. And, of course, safety and health are foremost and paramount. For your next one, perhaps stop at Refuge Orisson or Albergue Borda on the first day. In any case, I hope you find your way back and wish you the best of luck. Buen Camino!

That is a GREAT point! Or conversely, you don’t fully bond with anyone you might want to mix up your walking group!!

What was your start date? I am going to try to avoid time of year! I am pretty hardy growing up in Wisconsin where was can get 100 degree days in summer and -20 in the dead of winter….but, cold, windy and wet is a recipe for disaster!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great points. I don't think this will appall anybody on this site (all who are very friendly and helpful). The biggest point to keep in mind about the Camino is "do it your way" - speed, length, stops, packing or portering, etc. There are certainly the more common norms, but each should do it to enjoy it and absorb what there is to offer. And, of course, safety and health are foremost and paramount. For your next one, perhaps stop at Refuge Orrison or Albergue Borda on the first day. In any case, I hope you find your way back and wish you the best of luck. Buen Camino!
I had in fact tried to book either of those places, but t'was not to be ("no room at the inn").

My suspicion is that the best "guard against failure" option is to hike the first day to The Virgin (about 12km up the mountain, and still on a road), take a taxi back to SJPdP, stay the night there, and then on day 2 take a taxi up to The Virgin, and continue on to Roncesvalles. Not perfect, but it cuts the horizontal distance in half, puts most of the vertical ascent behind you, and leaves you in far better shape to tackle the downhill into Roncesvalles in just a couple of hours.

Day 3 would then be Roncesvalles to Alto de Erro ("only" approx. 19 km, but the up-and-down trails can be brutal and you encounter even more of the dreaded "Dragon's Teeth"), taxi from the staging area into Zubiri or Larrasoaña, then come back the next morning, tackle the descent into Zubiri afresh, then hike to either Larrasoaña (for a day's total of approx. 10km) or (if you're really feeling your oats) go on to one of the villages between Larrasoaña and Pamplona city. Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't walk the entire distance into Pamplona from the Alto de Erro staging area if you paid me. Thus, the trip into (or slightly past) Pamplona becomes Day 5 (instead of Day 3), and arriving at Puente la Reina could conceivably be Day 6, although the Alto de Perdon also gives me pause and I haven't fully mulled it over yet.

After Puente la Reina, I found the territory much more tractable overall. And some of the vistas as you approached certain villages were picture-postcard noteworthy.

What was your start date? I am going to try to avoid time of year! I am pretty hardy growing up in Wisconsin where was can get 100 degree days in summer and -20 in the dead of winter….but, cold, windy and wet is a recipe for disaster!
Start date was the 12th of September. The weather was unusually cold and wet in and around SJPdP, and a few days before I arrived, sections of the Somport Pass (about 60km east of SJPdP and also part of the traditional Camino routes, though not the CF) received very heavy rains, and one entire section of asphalt highway was washed out by mudslide and slid into the valley below. Pilgrims were advised to re-route.

And I'm from Edmonton Alberta, where summer temps can top +40° Celsius and winter temps can go to -40° Celsius, but yeah, I hear you — cold, wet and windy is an extremely unpleasant and potentially hazardous combination. Isn't adverse weather how the son of the principal character in the movie "The Way" dies in the Pyrenees?

I'm probably gonna try for the last week in August or very early September next year.

Thanks
I was 75 years old on my first Camino. I took a planned day off in both Burgos and in Leon… a bit of rest, but I still spent most of the day walking around those interesting cities seeing the sights. Also, I walked one ‘light’ 2-3 hour day due to having too much fun the night before with a hearty peregrino group and too much vino tinto & arujo!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was 75 years old on my first Camino. I took a planned day off in both Burgos and in Leon… a bit of rest, but I still spent most of the day walking around those interesting cities seeing the sights. Also, I walked one ‘light’ 2-3 hour day due to having too much fun the night before with a hearty peregrino group and too much vino tinto & arujo!
Man, you can’t beat Vino Tinto in Spain or Portugal!! Any wine from the Duoro Valley is excellent! I plan to celebrate with carafes of DV wine and a fine port! Thanks for your input.

I had in fact tried to book either of those places, but t'was not to be ("no room at the inn").

My suspicion is that the best "guard against failure" option is to hike the first day to The Virgin (about 12km up the mountain, and still on a road), take a taxi back to SJPdP, stay the night there, and then on day 2 take a taxi up to The Virgin, and continue on to Roncesvalles. Not perfect, but it cuts the horizontal distance in half, puts most of the vertical ascent behind you, and leaves you in far better shape to tackle the downhill into Roncesvalles in just a couple of hours.

Day 3 would then be Roncesvalles to Alto de Erro ("only" approx. 19 km, but the up-and-down trails can be brutal and you encounter even more of the dreaded "Dragon's Teeth"), taxi from the staging area into Zubiri or Larrasoaña, then come back the next morning, tackle the descent into Zubiri afresh, then hike to either Larrasoaña (for a day's total of approx. 10km) or (if you're really feeling your oats) go on to one of the villages between Larrasoaña and Pamplona city. Knowing what I now know, I wouldn't walk the entire distance into Pamplona from the Alto de Erro staging area if you paid me. Thus, the trip into (or slightly past) Pamplona becomes Day 5 (instead of Day 3), and arriving at Puente la Reina could conceivably be Day 6, although the Alto de Perdon also gives me pause and I haven't fully mulled it over yet.

After Puente la Reina, I found the territory much more tractable overall. And some of the vistas as you approached certain villages were picture-postcard noteworthy.
I’m sorry but to me that seems like a ridiculously complex and expensive way to start a Camino. Walking via Valcarlos eliminates a totally unnecessary climb, two expensive Auberges and the dreaded “follow the rucksack in front”, pause for the selfie, “follow the rucksack in front”.

The “Napoleon” is not compulsory. Santiago doesn’t give a shit what route you take to get to him and he’s not ever going to be impressed by “we saw the movie and thought…”

If you want to make pilgrimage to the shrine of Santiago. One who may once have stood with the Divine. Do that. Make pilgrimage, don’t follow a collation of myths and marketing

Thanks
I walked my first Camino - Frances from SJPD in Sept Oct 2023 - I took around 43 days - planning on walking mostly between 24 to 28 km per day. I was 64 and have a hip replacement but in good shape overall. Used to hiking. I was walking solo- but met various people along the way. To help you w your planning I will share that my first Camino was all about the experience and outward directed - so I did take rest days at some major Cities to explore Cathedrals or castles of note - rest days were Burgos, Leon, Ponferrada - I did not “rest” as I ended up exploring and my fitbit showed clocking 25 or more km those days! In addition while the book/apps may say it’s 28km my fit bit registered 32 or 34 so plan for that extra bit each day. I did a few of the route variations including to Samos where I would have loved to do a rest day as was very beautiful and spiritual. I also did a short first day to Orrison which was so worth it, as it let me savour the mountains! I found that I needed to plan shorter days for some of the days where there were steep elevation changes. I ended up with a knee bandage for a swollen knee from downhills and did end up transfering my pack which resulted in me not needing rest days for injuries. I met some peregrinos who took additional days as they were making the journey more internal - taking time to sketch or journal. My second Camino - the Portuguese I followed their example and walked a slower camino! Have fun both planning and walking! Jen

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Thanks
Greetings,
My friend and I walked the CF in 2022 from April 28 to June 1st. We walked for 34 days and added one rest day in Burgos. It would have actually been 33 days of walking but we stayed over at Orisson the first night and reached Roncevalles the second day. That worked out very well for us. Our one day of rest in Burgos was a good day of rest. My friend explored Burgos, a beautiful city, but I was grateful just to do laundry and rest. We were following John Brierly’s guidebook for our daily treks which we really appreciated. I’d make reservations ahead for several days at a time and it was reassuring to know that there was a place for us when we’d arrive. Some folks are more adventurous and just see what’s available but we were two older, retired guys and appreciated knowing that we had beds at the end of the day so that routine suited us well.
May God bless you on your own unique Camino! I’d suggest to be kind to yourself and to be present in the moment to the surroundings and to your fellow pilgrims; I believe that you’ll experience unexpected grace along the way. I’m excited for you!
Buen Camino!

I'm probably gonna try for the last week in August or very early September next year.
I think June/July are possibly the best months for the Francés. This year for me the weather was not too hot / cold / rainy / windy and pilgrims numbers manageable.
Although weather is never predictable- a few days after we left the Pyrenees it poured rain there for a few days.

Thanks
It’s not just about “doing” the Camino. To my mind it’s about “experiencing “ this pilgrim route people have been walking for over one thousand years.
There are so many really interesting and historic places so my view is to aim for 40-42 days.
This allows for rest days together with time to explore areas and if interested also walk some of variations including Samos.
Buen Camino
Mark O

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Thanks
I'm 70 years old and just finished 16 October. I took 42 days, including 4 rest days (one each in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, and Ponferrada).

I had intended to complete it in 38 days. What showed me down was a few occasions, early on, when trying to book ahead, I would find no beds available at my "target" distance of 20-25 km. I'd fall back to 17 km, or less.

Several days of this starts to add up. So, I eventually started booking much further ahead and getting the daily distance I wanted.

I walked SJPDP to Santiago this year 2024 April 10 to May 19 at age 64 years. It was 34 days of walking. 5 rest days on the way. These were to be Sundays. The 40th day I rested in Santiago a Sunday.
The Sundays, I thought, would allow me to live a little like a local, church service, stroll, chit chat.
During 2023 I settled on going on the Camino. In mid October 2023 I settled on 40 days. It was still unclear if it was to be 2024 or some other time. I penciled in 2024 and started to prepare.
For many years I had done little exercise. From January 1 2024 I began walking. The area near my place has bushland, parkland and a river with housing nearby. It turned out to be similar to much of the Camino Francis.
My eldest son announced his wedding to take place in London. I looked at my proposed time line. Shifting the start a week earlier to Wednesday April 10, this gave me nearly a week spare from Monday May 20 to the following Saturday, if I needed longer. The wedding date 25 May.
My thinking was to stop on Sundays at smaller places. This I thought would allow rest, chat and not mean ending up walking around a more sprawling place.
These places end up being, Puente La Reina, Belorado, Carrion Des Los Condes, Astorga and Triacastela.
I knew I would say goodbye to other pilgrims I had walked a number of times together. In Santiago I met a number who set out and walked the same timeline as mine.
I enjoyed further opportunity to speak to hosts and locals on the rest days following the Saturday I arrived, that I could not have done with no rest days.
Attending church meant I had the opportunity to meet people. I greeted people, others approached me. Or I was free to take time on my own.
The rest days were timely, as it turned out. Rest days could have been varied, as I had extra days at the end, but it turned out that extra days were not required.

Hi,

I did the camino frances twice (2008 + 2014).
First time I needed 28 days (age 47).
The 2nd time I did it in 29 days (age 53).
Both times I didn’t take off-days.
I walked every day.
When feeling exhausted or I wanted more time to visit a town I walked shorter stages e.g. 15km instead of 25km.

Ultreya
Uwe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thanks
Hi Mack.
I walked the full Camino Frances in the Spring of 2022. I took 35 days to complete my journey which included 2 rest days. So 1 every two weeks.
I took a few days when I arrived in Santiago to enjoy the city. I was drawn to the Praza Obradoiro every day and loved watching new pilgrims entering the plaza. I suppose you will have to see how things go for you in terms of any possible injuries, illnesses or if you choose to explore any of the towns or cities along the Way.
If I could leave you with one thing- don’t rush.
Take your time enjoy the beauty of Spain and all it offers.

I’m sorry but to me that seems like a ridiculously complex and expensive way to start a Camino. Walking via Valcarlos eliminates a totally unnecessary climb, two expensive Auberges and the dreaded “follow the rucksack in front”, pause for the selfie, “follow the rucksack in front”.

The “Napoleon” is not compulsory. Santiago doesn’t give a shit what route you take to get to him and he’s not ever going to be impressed by “we saw the movie and thought…”

If you want to make pilgrimage to the shrine of Santiago. One who may once have stood with the Divine. Do that. Make pilgrimage, don’t follow a collation of myths and marketing

Well, I'm certainly aware that the Napoleon route is not "required" (nor is the Valcarlos, for that matter — ask any Spaniard, and they'll probably tell you that the CF starts in Roncesvalles, and then they might ask you why you aren't just starting in Sarria†).

Strictly speaking, I'm sure Saint James would be perfectly alright with me flying into SdC, asking for his intercession, and then flying out again; after all, it's what pilgrims 500 years ago probably would have done had the option been available to them. They walked because they had to, not because the walk itself was anything special. The really wealthy ones might have had a horse/donkey, a satchel and perhaps sandals.

The Way itself is something that we moderns are preoccupied with, what with all of our emphasis on "the journey is the destination" or somesuch. I'm "preoccupied" with it because it is what it is, and it's there (much like Everest), and as for the expense, 5 weeks on the Camino is about half the price of a decent one-week all-inclusive near Cancun, so I think I can "splurge" the first couple of days to accommodate my mortal weaknesses and gradually increase my distance and energy levels without crashing and burning.

As always, YMMV. Ultreia!

Actually, upon reflection, I did have almost precisely this conversation between Puente la Reina and Estella, albeit with a nice Mexican lady.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I plan to do the CF from SJPDP on March 2025. It appears the number of days is usually 32-33 days. I know people usually take more than 33 days for various reasons. My question for people that...
When walking the Frances, is there an alternative to another route (Primitivo, Ingles) where I cross over to avoid doing the Sarria route?
Yet another question about Burgos Cathedral! I have forgotten exactly where I was when I took the photo, it's not important, but, if you know where the window is, I'd be pleased to know. My...
Hello, I am starting in St Jean Pied de Port in a few days and as I am booked into Borda the first night, I only have about three hours to walk and check in is not until 2.30pm. I had intended to...
I will be starting the full Camino Francés on 16th May 2025. I cannot get a sense of whether sheets/bedclothes are provided in all Albergues or not. If not, I can see the logic of bringing a...
Hi everyone, I am leaving for my Camino in 3 days on Oct 19th. I am flying to Paris, training to Bayonne and then SJPDP and will start walking on the 21st. I am hoping to get a final review of my...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back