• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

How long for a reply to email from Albergue

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
Yes I know, how long is a piece of string, but ;-).
I am returning to Spain with my Wife in a couple of weeks to walk to Finisterre, and have decided that as it could be busy, that pre booking accommodation is a good plan.
When I was walking the Frances a few weeks ago emails to Albergue seemed to get a reply within an hour or two, and all the accommodations I have contacted for this journey, have been prompt, except in Negreira. I have emailed 3 Albergue and Nada, nothing, cero, zilch, not even a terse one word completo. I have now made a reservation via booking.com, but just curious about the lack of replies.

On a side note, I have made reservations in Santander, Santiago and Madrid, and all work out cheaper by going direct as opposed to going via Booking.com, which has surprised me, as though I know Booking.com take a large cut, I thought they insisted the prices on the accommodation websites should be the same as b.com, but this is not the case.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Ok, you know the booking score. Would you try to ring the places directly? My guess - ignorant as it may be - is that someone in the place will be able to understand you. Whatsapp. 'Free' - except with anything online, your back is not covered.🤣

Ok, you know the booking score. Would you try to ring the places directly? My guess - ignorant as it may be - is that someone in the place will be able to understand you. Whatsapp. 'Free' - except with anything online, your back is not covered.🤣
You would guess wrong, often no English spoken. Problem with WhatsApp, is I cannot seem to cut and paste out of it to do translations, as I do in email. When I email, I translate to Spanish via google.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
On the handful of occasions I've tried it, I've personally found emailing to be rather hit and miss. Most answered, a couple didn't. Those that answered generally answered within 24 hours, I've never had a 'quick' response (an hour or two). The longest was 10 days! (It was February, perhaps they were closed - if so they had no auto response turned on).
I have walked three camino's but never the Frances', because of the exceptionally high volumes they experience perhaps they are better at answering emails?

I note that the majority of experienced pilgrims suggest phoning or WhatsApp because emails are often ignored when they're busy. I don't speak more than a few words of Spanish, so I don't phone.

I use WhatsApp, and yes I copy and paste. I've just tried it again on this phone with no issues, out of interest I tried it with my iPhone, too - that also worked.
Perhaps it's a phone specific issue? Might be worth googling.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On a side note, I have made reservations in Santander, Santiago and Madrid, and all work out cheaper by going direct as opposed to going via Booking.com, which has surprised me, as though I know Booking.com take a large cut, I thought they insisted the prices on the accommodation websites should be the same as b.com, but this is not the case.
No idea what the BC rules are, but your experience is actually very common. I've even experienced variances in booking on an accommodations own website versus walking in the door.
Once I had the reverse situation - they wanted to charge me more as a walk-in so I simply stood there and booked on BC. Bizarre.

None of this is new: Hotels can charge higher room prices when you walk in and book your room there and then compared to booking online on their website. And hotels in Spain and a few other countries (France? Germany?) have been allowed to offer rooms at lower prices on their own websites than on Booking.com. This is due to antitrust court rulings in these countries that were made several years ago already.

This has now apparently become the rule for hotels in the whole European Economic area (= EU countries plus a few other countries). Quote: From 1 July 2024, hotels are able to offer their rooms at a lower price than on Booking.com. This has become possible because Booking.com has removed parity clauses from its contracts with hotels in the European Economic Area. This measure was taken in response to new regulations from the Digital Markets Act (DMA). The DMA is a European law to regulate large digital platforms and promote a fair and competitive market environment. The change means that hotels are now allowed to offer different rates on their own channels and on the Booking.com platform.

As to the first issue: The hotels of the Ibis hotel chain have been practising this for more than a decade and have charged a higher price when you booked at check-in than when you booked online on their website - at least at several Ibis hotels where I have been a guest during the last decade or two.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As to the first issue: The hotels of the Ibis hotel chain have been practising this for more than a decade and have charged a higher price when you booked at check-in than when you booked online on their website - at least at several Ibis hotels where I have been a guest during the last dec
That I'm familiar with but by BC I meant booking.c - hence why I said that I found it bizarre. They made a loss because they had to pay the commission to BC.

Just FYI, you can get WhatsApp on your computer as well.. easier to copy/past when on the computer.
It really is easy to use google translate to cut and paste an iphone. After you speak or type what you want translated there is a L shaped line and a box within the L shape that is the icon to the right of the speaker icon. Press on that and it copies the translation. Then go to Whatsapp and press on the screen where you would type your message and it will paste it.
It has to be simple if I can do it!!!!

Can I suggest that you try sending WhatsApp messages in English (or other native language)?
If your Spanish is good or if part of your Camino experience is to improve your Spanish then go ahead and fill your boots. But if your Spanish is very limited then i suggest you send messages in your mother tongue.
Why?
Because it means that the message being received is 100% correct and the albergue/hostel owner will a) understand it or b) know someone who can translate it or c) put it through Google translate themselves.
Google translate is a brilliant tool but not flawless and any errors in an initial translation cannot be corrected - the recipient doesn't have an easy way back to what was originally written.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They made a loss because they had to pay the commission to BC.
I have had this happen several times in Spain and elsewhere, where the walk-in price was higher than the booking one. I have assumed there is some arrangement whereby the lodging wants to or needs to sell some rooms via Booking, as part of their contract. The publicity and convenience from the global platform must be worth the price to the lodging, at least for a portion of their room supply. Also, the desk clerk at the moment may prefer the convenience of booking doing the booking, and may not benefit from saving the commission.

In one case I remember, it was only a couple of Euros so I said nothing - accepting it as the luck of the draw - my choice/gamble for not booking in advance. On another occasion I was extending my stay by a night and the price was very different (perhaps a promotional price for online). But the desk clerk said there was nothing they could do to change the prices in their system, so I retreated to my room, booked online, and then went down to the desk to confirm all was good.

On the handful of occasions I've tried it, I've personally found emailing to be rather hit and miss. Most answered, a couple didn't.
That's been my experience too, in which case I end up calling if they aren't on WhatsApp.

Can I suggest that you try sending WhatsApp messages in English
And I agree with this. I'm sure that the albergues receive messages in English, French, and German too. They should be able to translate on their end.

I can translate a message that I've received on my Android phone by long pressing on the message, then I tap on the three dots at the upper right corner of the screen, and there's a "copy" option.

On the handful of occasions I've tried it, I've personally found emailing to be rather hit and miss. Most answered, a couple didn't. Those that answered generally answered within 24 hours, I've never had a 'quick' response (an hour or two). The longest was 10 days! (It was February, perhaps they were closed - if so they had no auto response turned on).
I have walked three camino's but never the Frances', because of the exceptionally high volumes they experience perhaps they are better at answering emails?

I note that the majority of experienced pilgrims suggest phoning or WhatsApp because emails are often ignored when they're busy. I don't speak more than a few words of Spanish, so I don't phone.

I use WhatsApp, and yes I copy and paste. I've just tried it again on this phone with no issues, out of interest I tried it with my iPhone, too - that also worked.
Perhaps it's a phone specific issue? Might be worth googling.
I have googled and can now copy and paste in WhatsApp.
I think I gave up at first attempt assuming it had some special security feature. Good lesson, never assume.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You would guess wrong, often no English spoken. Problem with WhatsApp, is I cannot seem to cut and paste out of it to do translations, as I do in email. When I email, I translate to Spanish via google.
Also my experience with WhatsApp is that some places don't have it and while I sent invitations with my request I have never heard back so went and book somewhere else as I wanted some certainty

My first option is always Whatsapp. I have standard translated phrases ready to send.

If no reply on Whatsapp I call.

Email can be a bit hit and miss..........

Make sure on Whatsapp you are sending to a cell/mobile number!
numbers start with 06 as I recall

You are likely to get a much faster response to a whatsapp than an email in Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I leave for my Camino in a few short weeks and am trying to figure out what the washing machine situation is. I will be traveling on the CP from Porto and hoping to take the coastal...
A Stolperstein is a ten-centimetre (3.9 in) concrete cube bearing a brass plate inscribed with the name and life dates of victims of Nazi extermination or persecution. Literally, it means...
A friend just told me about a Netflix series called Gangs of Galicia, and I started watching. Haven’t got the nuances of the plot yet, but so far there are scenes in Combarro, Arousa and...
Dear Forum Members, I’m reaching out to invite those planning to walk the Camino de Santiago to participate in a research study aimed at exploring the effects of the Camino pilgrimage on health...
I know there are those who struggle to get going in the morning without a coffee. And sometimes on Camino a coffee is not always available at the start of your day. This idea might work? I drink...
Hi all. For those starting out soon - I will be on Camino doing first aid from the 5th September. (For those who don't know, I have been visiting Camino to offer first aid since 2006). Due to a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back