Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hotel Akerreta, Akerreta

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
I had hoped to stay at the Hotel Akerreta on my way to Santiago recently. I was there on 20 June (2024) at about 5 o'clock. The place was deserted with no signs of life whatsoever. There is no mention of any closure on Google. Has anyone on the Forum stayed there recently, either before 20 June or after that date? I'm just curious. Was I unlucky to arrive when the owner had popped into town for supplies?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
5 PM is the end of the siesta, so perhaps you just missed them? Most places aren't very concerned with updating their hours on google, but if they were taking a vacation day, they would have probably put a sign on the door.

Ah well, next time you do the Camino Frances....

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I stayed there last year at the beginning of June. Had a reservation, and when I got there I was the first pilgrim. Had to call the phone number and the hotel owner was there promptly to open up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed there June 22nd. It is loveky. . We were running late and called numerous times, finally sent an email and got a response.

We stayed there April 16, this year. Lovely stay, great food, superb hospitality. Also stayed therein 2015.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should have booked! I don't like to book ahead as you can't be sure that you'll get there. You might want to carry on if you get there early, or weather or injury might prevent you getting there on time. But if it tends to book out, why was there no sign of life at about 5 o'clock? [Rhetorical question.]

I should have booked! I don't like to book ahead as you can't be sure that you'll get there. You might want to carry on if you get there early, or weather or injury might prevent you getting there on time. But if it tends to book out, why was there no sign of life at about 5 o'clock? [Rhetorical question.]
If no one said they were arriving at that time, then the desk may be unmanned. I don't like to book either unless it is a special place that I really want to stay and I know they will take reservations.

For all practical future purposes: The answer to the question whether the Hotel Akerreta is open appears to be a clear yes. If you want to stay at this exceptional place, forget about just rocking up and getting a bed. You might be disappointed and have to walk on.

Looking at their Booking.com spot, it appears that they are mostly booked out on this platform and the price for a single person and night is €128. Looking at their own booking facility on their own website there are more availabilities and the price for a single person and night is €108-€110 in August. But pay attention: They require you to book at least one day in advance; on some dates you need to stay for at least for 3 nights; there is a cancellation penalty in the form of the full price if you cancel less than 5 days before arrival.

I happen to know from a chat with the owner during our delightful stay years ago that he is keen on attracting guests who stay for longer than one night. At that time I was walking with a small group, and I and another group member were still on our way while the others had already arrived. They messaged us and informed us about the menu choices for the day's evening meal and asked us to decide because the hotel wanted to know what to prepare and how much. It turned out to be a really nice and tasty dinner - way above the usual offer for Camino peregrinos on the Camino Francés.

Akerreta Own Booking.jpg

Akerreta Booking.jpg

Last edited:

€46,-
Having done no research -- this was my fifth camino from SJPdP, so no research was necessary (!) -- I didn't know what the prices at the Hotel Akerreta were. It is almost a relief to find that it may cost over €100 to stay for one night, as I wouldn't pay so much even if someone had answered the door. Isn't that more or less what the paradors charge? [Rhetorical again, no need to tell me exactly what paradors charge.]

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I wouldn't pay so much even if someone had answered the door.
Well there we are. All this brain power wasted on wondering whether they were open on that particular day and why they did not open the door and now it turns out that you would not have stayed there if they had opened the door. Funny old Camino! ;)

Their 3-course meal is €25. I think that wine is not included - not sure though. Anyone? The restaurant is for hotel guests only, and they don't sell sodas to passing pilgrims either. Just in case somebody wonders.

Long before I knew that pasta was more than macaroni ( which I have just eaten for lunch) ..
where was I...
I too looked up the said hotel this morning, not booking, but direct.
It seems as @Kathar1na indicates, they not only prefer guests for more than one night, rather two or three. I did it in a hurry, and couldn't see any options for after August, but I was going fast...
They say they are 10km from Pamplona. Maybe by drone. Google maps offers about 6 from Zabaldika, and that is approx 8 from Pamplona. Measurements, like doctors, differ depending on the tape at hand...
It is a luxury option, in my books. Nobody asked me, though. Now you know!
It is Sunday, rest day from serious things for some people. Ie, me.
Sorry for the op, honestly.
Though, seeing your most welcome update post, it would have maybe made you choke if you had found the door open!!!

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
Hey All, I arrive hopefully tomorrow to SJPDP. I have no accommodation booked for the first few days. Are places available ? What are the best app to book or is it possible to arrive and ask at...
Hello, My question is: For those of you who do a little bit of planning, do you use some sort of list of all towns and distances to have a general idea what towns you will pass through? (More...
Hello everyone, I have booked my flights and train and will be arriving in Bayonne at 5:21pm on Mon October 21st. I have a few questions about the logistics of the first few days of the route...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back