• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hot wash bedding options?

Seabeggar

Time of past OR future Camino
Mozarabe
I was planning on taking a lightweight sleeping bag this Autumn, but it wont cope with a hot dryer after bed bug encounters. I am now considering a rectangular fleece sleeping bag liner with full side zipper that could also be opened up as a blanket. Still not great to put it in a hot dryer but might cope better. Any suggestions appreciated.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
I was planning on taking a lightweight sleeping bag this Autumn, but it wont cope with a hot dryer after bed bug encounters. I am now considering a rectangular fleece sleeping bag liner with full side zipper that could also be opened up as a blanket. Still not great to put it in a hot dryer but might cope better. Any suggestions appreciated.
Surprising. What's the sleeping bag made of?
In my experience you need to put the items DRY in the dryer and cook the blighters, not wash them beforehand.
Down, wool and synthetic items have survived this.
It's a question for the manufacturer in the end.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had bed bugs once just before Pamplona, and as it was summer, I put everything in a large black trash bag , inflated it somewhat and tied the opening and left it in the hot sun for an hour. It worked and I did not have another problem . But I now spray bag& pack with Permethrin before I go to the Camino

it wont cope with a hot dryer after bed bug encounters
I agree with @Xali1970 above, that the bag will likely be fine if you don't wash it first and just put it into the dryer.

Besides, this is better for bedbug treatment, because the bugs need to be at or above the temp of about 50-55 degrees C for 20-30 minutes to ensure that all life stages (eggs and all) are killed. They won't reach that temperature until after the water has been evaporated, so you have better control if you start with a dry sleeping bag.

you can also freeze the item, instead of washing at 60 degrees C
The research I read is that heat is much more reliable than freezing & that most freezers don’t get cold enough to kill the eggs. Have you got a link to newer (post-2013) scientific research that says freezing works for eggs & bugs?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
you can also freeze the item, instead of washing at 60 degrees C

The research I read is that heat is much more reliable than freezing & that most freezers don’t get cold enough to kill the eggs.
Also, the time needed at freezing temperature is much longer than the time needed in a hot dryer. Plus it's unlikely to find a freezer to use on the Camino, but hot dryers are readily available.

Also, the time needed at freezing temperature is much longer than the time needed in a hot dryer. Plus it's unlikely to find a freezer to use on the Camino, but hot dryers are readily available.
Maybe read first what the OP writes?

This is about a sleeping bag that wont cope with a hot dryer

Thank you.

I understand that's what the OP wrote, but in my experience there is very little that can't go into a hot dryer, especially if the item is dry when it's put in.

For example I have put my merino clothing and down blanket into a hot dryer for half an hour with no ill effects.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank you.
I think trecile's point is that there are many fabrics that say "Do not dry on high" because they would be damaged or shrunk if you put them from a washer into a hot dryer. But if you put them into a hot dryer already dry they are find. Wool is an example of such a fabric. It is quite possible that this is the case with OP's sleeping bag.

That is one reason the bedbug advice is to put your items in the dryer on high and only afterward wash (and possibly dry) them. The other reason being that the heat is much better at getting rid of the bedbugs when the fabric is dry.

The research I read is that heat is much more reliable than freezing & that most freezers don’t get cold enough to kill the eggs. Have you got a link to newer (post-2013) scientific research that says freezing works for eggs & bugs?
I haven't used that method for begbugs, (I spray with permethrin) but I have used it for clothes moths. Occasionally I have been asked to mend a garment eaten by moths. Given I have a LOT of wool in my house, the last thing I want is an infestation of them here, so I take no chances. So I've put the garment in the freezer for a week, taken it out to encourage any eggs to hatch, than stuck it back for another week. Apparently my process is overkill (pun intended) but slow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The studies that I've seen reported do date back to 2013. I agree that heat is faster and more certain, but freezing is very useful as well. As I recall, the suggested temperature for killing eggs and bugs in a matter of days is about 0 F (-18 C), which my freezer does reach.

When I pack my bag in Spain for the return trip home, I pack it so that it is easy to "process" at home. At the top, my washables will be in a dry bag that I can pull out and put into the dryer, special items such as electrical/electronic/medical will be in another bag that can be isolated for careful examination the next day or so, and almost everything else is freezer-safe so I can put whole backpack into a plastic garbage bag in the freezer where it sits for a week. It is actually nice to not have to deal with the unpacking for a few days!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.