• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Hiking Shoes

Maryse

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino portugais 2019
Caminó francés 2024
Hi,
I am looking into purchasing hiking shoes/boots which are not waterproof - I have looked into Hoka and Keen but would welcome any recommendations.

Thank you in advance,

Maryse

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I like La Sportiva Bushido II. Have worn them on the Camino in Summers in 2019, 2022, 2023. In winter, I wear a La Sportiva gortex mid boot (2018, 2024).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It does depend on your foot shape - many of the suggestions on this Forum, and everywhere else, suit the foot shape of those providing the suggestions.

My suggestion is a specific Keen model (not remembered at the moment, but it possibly doesn't suit your feet. 🤔 ) - it took me many pairs of shoes and me walking many 000s of kms to work that out.

I believe there a few fortunate souls who can walk in anything.

Hi @Maryse. I see from your profile that you have walked the Portugues. What footwear did you use and how was it?

Buy the ones that are most comfortable for a long day of walking. The only way to be sure is to test them on multiple consecutive walking days.

My approach is:
  1. Try various shoes in a store with a return policy that allows you to return them, at least if you haven't worn them outside.
  2. Select only shoes that are instantly and perfectly comfortable, and that are a roomy fit. If you have a wide foot you may be limited in choice and may need to special-order.
  3. Take the shoes to an indoor mall where you can walk briskly. Take different weights of socks to test, as well. If there is ANY problem point, the shoes should be returned. If you think the shoe is excellent, but you could accommodate a wider one, if available, consider ordering the wider shoe to test.
  4. If you think the shoe is perfect, you will still need to test it outside on multiple walks of 15 km or so, to be sure. Test different socks as well.
  5. If there are problems on those multiple walks of 15 km, then the shoe is not suitable for the Camino. You will need to use them for other daily use at home.
Because of foot problems that are particular to me and that have been confirmed with a podiatrist, I need a very cushioned, stiff rocker sole, that comes in a wide, so certain brands and models are recommended. However, if you have no special foot problems, you could go to a running shoe store and discuss your needs. There are many brands and many models that are successfully worn on the Camino. It all depends on YOUR feet.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you think the shoe is perfect, you will still need to test it outside on multiple walks of 15 km or so, to be sure.
I recommend doing these long walks on at least 3 consecutive days. The stress on your feet of walking long distances day after day can cause blisters to occur in people who never or rarely blister otherwise.

Hi,
I am looking into purchasing hiking shoes/boots which are not waterproof - I have looked into Hoka and Keen but would welcome any recommendations.

Thank you in advance,

Maryse

I've got Hobbit feet and so am a big fan of Altra. I did the Portuguese this year in a pair of Olympus 6 with Injinji socks. Not a single blister.

I suspect everyone on this forum has specific recommendations that work for them, agree with C Cleary you need to find what works for you.

I've been using On-Running shoes for years, they make a nice trail runner ("Cloudventure") that has a sole with a little grip, especially helpful if walking on slippery rocks on a trail. I used these on my Norte/Primitivo/Finisterre Camino after a lot of back and forth as to whether I wanted a trainer type shoe or a hiking boot, but every boot I tried pinched in one area on my problem foot, and I've learned never to buy a shoe hoping to break it in with expectation that the problem area will go away (C Cleary sums this up well - great advice!). In other posts, people have also recommended a size larger than regular shoes for long periods of walking, I went with that advice and it worked for me.

There are a lot of paved segments on my Camino, some days greater than 50% according to the guidebooks, so I also brought a pair of shoes more suitable for paved surfaces (Cloud Monster, which looks similar to Hook) and alternated depending on the day's walk profile, sometimes switching pairs for extended stretches.

Some of the pilgrims I met wearing a more traditional hiking boot were a bit rueful about their choice, thinking maybe they should have chosen a trainer instead because their boots weren't as comfortable on paved portions. I, on the other hand, watched in envy as they just trudged through puddles without a concern whereas I was picking my way across hoping not to get my feet wet.

The problem with a trainer is few will last more than 250 miles (which is why I brought two, and considered bringing three), but I walked over 600 miles and knew for sure by around 450 miles that I would need a new pair to finish - I found some Hokas in Lugo, which were ok, but after a couple of hours the soles of my feet felt hot and itchy, so I was glad I didn't throw away the old ones, alternating every few hours and finally getting rid of the first old pair before reaching Finisterre and the second after reaching Muxia. However, I've seen many commenters rave about Hokas, so it really depends on what works for you.

I've tried a bunch of different styles and brands recommended here, but am going to stick with On-Running because they work for me. If you order on line, you have 30 days to return (I think a number of brands have this policy). When considering new models, I've often called, explained my specific issues (wide foot, some issues with the ball of one foot, etc.), they recommend shoes, advise whether a model fits small or large, etc. I then order 3-4 different styles/sizes, walk with them several days, pick the one that fits, return the rest, order 3-4 pairs of the one I'm keeping - I've never found I need to "break in" the shoes, but do need to test a new model. There is no substitute for walking in the shoe, it might feel great at first, but after a couple of days, maybe not so good.

I am walking via Gebennensis and via Podiensis spring 2025 and will definitely take 3 pairs, maybe ship one pair ahead to Le Puy....

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi @Maryse. I see from your profile that you have walked the Portugues. What footwear did you use and how was it?

Buy the ones that are most comfortable for a long day of walking. The only way to be sure is to test them on multiple consecutive walking days.

My approach is:
  1. Try various shoes in a store with a return policy that allows you to return them, at least if you haven't worn them outside.
  2. Select only shoes that are instantly and perfectly comfortable, and that are a roomy fit. If you have a wide foot you may be limited in choice and may need to special-order.
  3. Take the shoes to an indoor mall where you can walk briskly. Take different weights of socks to test, as well. If there is ANY problem point, the shoes should be returned. If you think the shoe is excellent, but you could accommodate a wider one, if available, consider ordering the wider shoe to test.
  4. If you think the shoe is perfect, you will still need to test it outside on multiple walks of 15 km or so, to be sure. Test different socks as well.
  5. If there are problems on those multiple walks of 15 km, then the shoe is not suitable for the Camino. You will need to use them for other daily use at home.
Because of foot problems that are particular to me and that have been confirmed with a podiatrist, I need a very cushioned, stiff rocker sole, that comes in a wide, so certain brands and models are recommended. However, if you have no special foot problems, you could go to a running shoe store and discuss your needs. There are many brands and many models that are successfully worn on the Camino. It all depends on YOUR feet.
Thank you and yes, I have done the Portuguese and this past Spring, the Francès and the Invierno. My question probably could have been clearer as I am now thinking of wearing non waterproof mid boots and there does not seem to be that much choice…

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse
I finished the Frances sept 28 with Hoka speedgoats that had no tread left and no interior cushion after 500 miles. I bought gel inserts in week 3 to help cushion. I vote keen or Merrill but the ride might not feel as cushy as the hoka.

Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse
Hi, I've just done the St James Way, in the UK, followed by the camino Ingles, I used Addidas terrex trail runners, thick sole, good traction, I was walking the UK part, through ankle deep water, took the soles out, changed socks, dry in half hour.......& no blisters at all.
Hope this helps

Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse

I second everybody else telling you to try a bunch of different shoes, see what works for your feet.

I did the camino in Merrill Moab II hiking shoes. My wife wore Hoka Speedgoat trail runners both worked for us.

I am a fan of New Balance, specifically the 847, which is a walking shoe. I have wide feet and have always worn my true size on over 3,000 km with no blisters or other foot issues. The shoes last for at least 1,000km, when I retire them, even though the soles look little used. But like everyone else says, try them out on longer walks with a weighted pack.

Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse
I second everybody else telling you to try a bunch of different shoes, see what works for your feet.

I did the camino in Merrill Moab II hiking shoes. My wife wore Hoka Speedgoat trail runners both worked for us.
Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse
I am a fan of New Balance, specifically the 847, which is a walking shoe. I have wide feet and have always worn my true size on over 3,000 km with no blisters or other foot issues. The shoes last for at least 1,000km, when I retire them, even though the soles look little used. But like everyone else says, try them out on longer walks with a weighted pack.
Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse

Thank you so much everyone. Will look at the different options that were suggested.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

Thank you in advance,

Maryse

I’ve been a bush walker/runner etc for nigh on 60 years ot more and have tried various brands. I don’t have trouble with my feet with blistering etc and can generally strap a brand new pair on and just walk. But now there seem to be more brands around than names in the London telephone directory.

Most I’ve tried seem to be much of a muchness, except one at the top and another at the bottom. Re wear/ durability etc same story. I get around three hundred miles generally but at the top up to 2,400 miles. At the bottom, two pairs top of the range, first lasted a fortnight the second about a week.

At the top for me comes Asics, very much at the bottom comes New Balance. My son, who was in the military and doing some serious exercise pans Nikes. About a month ago I saw someone wearing a pair of Hokas and I wasn’t at all taken with them.

And remember that there’s not much point in the most comfortable shoes imaginable if they’re going to play up after a couple of weeks of hard walking.

But have a chat with serious marathon runners if you can. Sometimes their recommendations outside their sponsor’s products come at a fraction of the price of the trendy models.

And ultimately it’s up to you.

De Colores

Bogong

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there fellow Peregrinos! I will walk my first Camino in May 2025 and am slowly gathering my equipment. I have my boots that I've been hiking in and this pair seem to be good. I really want a...
Good afternoon. Probably this is a trivial question, but I am asking nevertheless. Is there a app for Android or a very cheap gps watch only for distance/time and therefore speed? On my Samsung I...
Hi. I'm planning my CF next May/June from SJPDP. My base weight varies from 4,4 kg. (light version) to 4,7 kg. (medium-rare) to 5,1 (full Monty). I am very undecided as far as the backpack is...
Could someone please clarify the difference between the H30 and J30? As I age I am thinking of trading in my trusty old 10 camino Ferrino Trekker (I don’t walk in hot weather, open zip at every...
Hi, I am looking into purchasing hiking shoes/boots which are not waterproof - I have looked into Hoka and Keen but would welcome any recommendations. Thank you in advance, Maryse
I am leaving my island next week for a short trip to Quebec City, my home town and I will have a look to the MEC Serratus 40, seems interesting, has anybody tried it ...

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back