• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hiking poles in Canadian Airports - Any issues in 2024?

WildandFound

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 - October 2024 (Frances)
Hello fellow Canadians!

I'm heading out in two weeks on Air Canada to Madrid for my first Camino Frances. I'm wondering if there have been any 2024 pilgrims (or travellers) who have flown with collapsible poles (mine are BLACK DIAMOND Distance Z) as a carry on. I'm seeing that the CATSA site (https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/what-can-bring/item/hiking-stickpoles) is saying they are permitted, but thought I'd check to see if any Canadians had issues on the ground when going through security.

I'd love to be able to get everything through as a carry-on. :)

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Erin

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Erin. I usually fly out of Montreal to France/Spain/Portugal. First, I think you’re absolutely correct about wanting to take everything into the cabin with you. We chose a long time ago to avoid any hassles at security by purchasing our poles in Europe. Everytime I’ve flown, without poles, I’ve still asked the question on whether or not hiking poles would be allowed through security. The answers have been mixed. I have poles similar to yours. The issue for them being rejected is the second line in the CATSA regulation, hiking sticks with pointed or sharp ends longer than 6 cm are not permitted. I believe it is on this point where you’ll find some agents not willing to let the poles through. I just don’t think you can predict what will happen at security (plus, you have to also travel back out of another airport). Therefore, my recommendation would be to leave your poles at home and purchase a pair before the start of your Camino. Best of luck. Buen Camino.

I have recently carried my folding poles on board from Vancouver. I trust the explicit wording of CATSA that says poles are allowed, if the pointed ends are less than 6 cm, and I am glad that they have given this clarification. I don't know when these words were placed on the website, but in years past, they were not there. Even so, I carried my poles into the cabin several times over the years and was never questioned.

Of course, the security agents can forbid whatever they want, and the airline can decide if there is room on the particular plane. If you are nervous about any of your luggage, get to the airport in plenty of time to deal with it.

However, I see no reason for anxiety or skepticism, when CATSA says very clearly that poles are allowed.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hello fellow Canadians!

I'm heading out in two weeks on Air Canada to Madrid for my first Camino Frances. I'm wondering if there have been any 2024 pilgrims (or travellers) who have flown with collapsible poles (mine are BLACK DIAMOND Distance Z) as a carry on. I'm seeing that the CATSA site (https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/what-can-bring/item/hiking-stickpoles) is saying they are permitted, but thought I'd check to see if any Canadians had issues on the ground when going through security.

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Erin

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Hi Erin I have taken my collapsible poles in my pack on Air Canada to 4 Caminos with no problem I kinda camouflage them by putting rubber on the bottoms putting them at the side of the pack handles up but make sure the flap of the pack covers them. On the principle of out of site out of mind. Arrange the rest of your pack so the whole thing looks level on top Have a wonderful Camino and give the Saint a hug for me. Love David

Staff at security that day decided collapsible walking poles needed to be checked. There’s no arguing with them, of course. So back to the counter I went. Checked them. Which Air Canada subsequently lost. Lol
The new policy (which clearly and explicitly allows collapsible and retractible poles) linked to above was adopted on November 17, 2023. Was your experience after that? I know that there’s been a lot of inconsistency in application of the rules in places where hiking poles are explicitly prohibited (with the result being that they are frequently let on), but I would have thought we wouldn’t have to worry about inconsistency in application of a rule that explicitly allows those poles!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I kinda camouflage them by putting rubber on the bottoms putting them at the side of the pack handles up but make sure the flap of the pack covers them.
At least in the US, poles go through an xray system that wouldn’t be affected by any attempt at camouflage. Many people have been suggesting similar things over the years, and even though I am pretty sure it’s not at all effective, I don’t think we want to encourage people to try to secretly break the rules. I usually carry on my poles, from the US, but I do it openly and know that the agents know what I’ve got with me.

The CATSA policy on hiking poles is very clearly worded and is addressed specifically on the CATSA website. I‘ve never had any issues outbound from YUL. I would check that they’re permitted on your return flight if you want to bring them back in the cabin.

The new policy (which clearly and explicitly allows collapsible and retractible poles) linked to above was adopted on November 17, 2023. Was your experience after that? I know that there’s been a lot of inconsistency in application of the rules in places where hiking poles are explicitly prohibited (with the result being that they are frequently let on), but I would have thought we wouldn’t have to worry about inconsistency in application of a rule that explicitly allows those poles!
Pre 2023. Given the inconsistencies, I find one of two ways to avoid the hassle is just buy when you get there. Or to not use poles (not opening that can of worms).

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Hi Erin I have taken my collapsible poles in my pack on Air Canada to 4 Caminos with no problem I kinda camouflage them by putting rubber on the bottoms putting them at the side of the pack handles up but make sure the flap of the pack covers them. On the principle of out of site out of mind. Arrange the rest of your pack so the whole thing looks level on top Have a wonderful Camino and give the Saint a hug for me. Love David
Thank you!

Inconsistencies before November 2023 are not relevant. Presumably, that clarification was made to bring consistency!
What an odd thing to say when you yourself point out the same in this thread.

>Of course, the security agents can forbid whatever they want, and the airline can decide if there is room on the particular plane

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
>Of course, the security agents can forbid whatever they want, and the airline can decide if there is room on the particular plane
If this is the mindset, then we shouldn’t carry anything on the plane because anything can be forbidden. I think that it is silly to warn people leaving from Canada not to carry on their poles when the regulations explicitly allow them, especially since the regulations were changed less than a year ago and are very detailed and precise!

Staff at security that day decided collapsible walking poles needed to be checked. There’s no arguing with them, of course. So back to the counter I went. Checked them. Which Air Canada subsequently lost. Lol
I fly often and it’s my experience that if staff are new and don’t know the policies or are dealing with items they don’t usually see they default to the position that it’s not allowed. You can respectfully and calmly pushback if challenged. You do have the right to ask for a supervisor. I’ve successfully changed a no to a yes by knowing the policies and doing it in a respectful way. Edit- this was something other than poles but I do hope it helps defeatist attitudes on dealing with catsa. On poles catsa has said nothing since the change.

Last edited:
I fly often and it’s my experience that if staff are new and don’t know the policies or are dealing with items they don’t usually see they default to the position that it’s not allowed. You can respectfully and calmly pushback if challenged. You do have the right to ask for a supervisor. I’ve successfully changed a no to a yes by knowing the policies and doing it in a respectful way.
To avoid potential difficulties, why not carry a copy of the pertinent page from CATSA'S website to bolster any suggestion you have that they should allowed.

Prior to 2023, I bought cheap poles in Spain and then donated them when I left the country.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I just flew from YUL>KEF with Air Canada (June 2024) and we were told to check our poles. Not sure why people are getting so salty about sharing inconsistencies and acting like if it says something on the website, that we automatically get what we want. The TSA is notoriously inconsistent and has the right to deny anyone anything they feel in a given moment, for reasons clear only to themselves.

e.g. I've been told to check my contact solution multiple times and have had to request and wait for a supervisor, despite holding up the section on their own website that says I'm allowed. It specifically states on the CATSA that contact solution is not subject to the 100ml rule and yet here we are...over and over again I have to argue, and sometimes I lose.

So, I'm glad they changed the regs in November 2023, and maybe as time passes it will start to be more common to have agents let poles on, but if you have expensive poles and don't want to risk losing them, or don't want to check luggage, just get cheap poles when you get to your destination. My two cents.

To avoid potential difficulties, why not carry a copy of the pertinent page from CATSA'S website to bolster any suggestion you have that they should allowed.

Prior to 2023, I bought cheap poles in Spain and then donated them when I left the country.

That's my plan now. Thanks everyone for your feedback. I appreciate the mixed commentary and knew going in that might be the experience. As the policy is under a year old, I guess it'll take some time to streamline on the ground. Many people don't seem to know the policy is now on the website, so hopefully if travelers see this thread they'll be a bit more aware. I'll arrive early and troubleshoot on the day of. Thanks!

Hello fellow Canadians!

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Erin
Just travelled twice this year out of YYZ with the very same poles. I wrapped them and taped them down and had them in a special trekking pole bag attached to the outside of my carry-on (36 L Kyte). No problems. My return flights were direct MAD-YYZ and BCN-YYZ, so the poles were in checked baggage with my pack and I cannot, therefore, speak to the return trip.
I was AC both trips, but had priority security clearance and that’s your real hurdle… I’d give yourself extra time if you’re not in the priority clearance group.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just travelled twice this year out of YYZ with the very same poles. I wrapped them and taped them down and had them in a special trekking pole bag attached to the outside of my carry-on (36 L Kyte). No problems. My return flights were direct MAD-YYZ and BCN-YYZ, so the poles were in checked baggage with my pack and I cannot, therefore, speak to the return trip.
I was AC both trips, but had priority security clearance and that’s your real hurdle… I’d give yourself extra time if you’re not in the priority clearance group.
Thanks!

Flying AC to Madrid, initially my poles were refused. I was asked by another security person if my poles were a mobility device. I said yes and they were allowed on.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm flying out of Edmonton via Westjet in 31 days, and I'm simply checking my bag with the Z-pole in it (I only use one, as if it were an "old-fashioned" walking staff).

I've flown to Europe many times, and while I get that people are leery of losing their luggage, I've never had a problem with larger pieces. (Checking poles by themselves would cause me a bit of concern.) My pack will fit completely inside of a $25.00 65L duffelbag (prevents snagging of the odds-'n-sods dangling off of the pack), plus I can get a few other things in there if I need to. I'll jettison the duffel once I get to my final destination.

Hello fellow Canadians!

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Erin
I don't understand this discussion. Hundreds of dollars are spent on flights, thousands on the whole Camino and then people haggle over whether they have the money, can/should check in their luggage with their walking sticks (and knives) :-(

I don't understand this discussion. Hundreds of dollars are spent on flights, thousands on the whole Camino and then people haggle over whether they have the money, can/should check in their luggage with their walking sticks (and knives) :-(
It's not always about the money. Sometimes it's about preference, pure and simple. I have a particular brand of Z-pole with very smart features which cannot be obtained anywhere along my route prior to starting at SJPdP, and I can't get 'em there, either. Yet they're perfect for me (or I should say "it's," since I only take one and use it like a walking staff; if I were to leave it behind, then I'd have to buy two of a non-preferred brand and still jettison one of 'em).

Over dozens of trips to Europe, I've learned that perfect substitutes are not always available.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I don't understand this discussion. Hundreds of dollars are spent on flights, thousands on the whole Camino and then people haggle over whether they have the money, can/should check in their luggage with their walking sticks (and knives)
Then you are one of the lucky ones who has never had checked luggage go missing on your way to the camino. It has nothing to do with money. Sure the odds are against it, but I have had it happen twice. Thankfully, I had only checked a duffel bag with my hiking poles, which were easy to replace in Spain. I would never ever check my pack. If that goes missing, replacing the pack and gear on the fly in Spain would be a nightmare. And the longer you stay on the forum, the more often you hear about it happening. Some are lucky and continue to check their packs, and that’s of course up to you, but it’s so easy to carry on a backpack that I would never check it going to the camino.

When I went from Canada to France and back from Spain in 2018, we packed our poles and prayed they would not get lost. They did not. I have been aware of the problem for years.

However, because they help my knees, I am now using my trekking poles for most walks. So when I was travelling Canada to the US in the last two years (some on Air Canada flights), I have walked using the poles to the TSA and told them I needed them for mobility. Each flight they have said, "For mobility?" Yes I have answered and have had no problem. This is new for me, but much appreciated. I wear a pedometer, and the first time I did this, I walked 5 miles in the airports alone. They make a huge difference. The key word is "mobility."

Buen Camino!

When I went from Canada to France and back from Spain in 2018, we packed our poles and prayed they would not get lost. They did not. I have been aware of the problem for years.

However, because they help my knees, I am now using my trekking poles for most walks. So when I was travelling Canada to the US in the last two years (some on Air Canada flights), I have walked using the poles to the TSA and told them I needed them for mobility. Each flight they have said, "For mobility?" Yes I have answered and have had no problem. This is new for me, but much appreciated. I wear a pedometer, and the first time I did this, I walked 5 miles in the airports alone. They make a huge difference. The key word is "mobility."

Buen Camino!
If you’re comfortable with doing that - that’s a matter for your conscience. Personally I’m not of the view that the exception to the rules for a mobility aid anticipates it being used by someone setting off on a long-distance walk.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
As @peregrina2000 says, it's not about the money. Whilst I am one of the lucky ones that have never actually had a piece of luggage (permanently) lost I have had several instances of luggage being 'delayed'. And I mean by days.
Days, that on a short camino I simply don't have. Days, that on a long camino would use up every single one of my rest days.
There have been several such stories this year alone here on the forum. And yet we make up a very small percentage of the number of people actually walking.

I quote from a simple Google search "Statistically, airlines globally mishandle about 5 to 6 bags per 1,000 passengers."
As the average seating capacity of the planes from Canada to Europe is typically around 250 - 300, that means that on average at least one person loses a bag on every plane.

Temporary or not, that's not a hassle I personally wish to go through when heading out on Camino.

Poles on planes! Poles on planes again, and again and next month and for absolute certain the month after that: the same bloody question and the same bloody answers. The only true answer to the question is: there is no answer to this question. How I get my swizarmy knife into the airplane cabin is between me and my proctologist but we are both agreed I’ll never try that with a set of Black Diamonds. This topic is a textbook example of an expired equine being subjected to a futile punishment regime. It doesn’t matter what the rules are: it’s Roulette. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don’t, but the house always wins. You might get your poles on an Air Canada flight to Erehwon, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get’em on your connecting flight from Erehwon to Llareggub.

Bridging a couple of recent threads. Last year travelling on the AVE from Malaga to Granada I had my Opinel knife/ corkscrew combi confiscated from my backpack. No-one took any notice of the other Opinel in my trouser pocket.

My advice for the OP and for everyone who has kindly contributed to this thread- save your energies for the gate-line. That is the only point of change available

Sorry everyone! I didn’t anticipate this getting so blown up and contentious. I simply was asking if any Canadians had pushback at security recently, knowing the policy had changed and was published on their site. Maybe I should have worded it differently.

I’ll reconsider next time! Definitely didn’t mean it to be burdensome question!

Erin

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Poles on planes! Poles on planes again, and again and next month and for absolute certain the month after that: the same bloody question and the same bloody answers. The only true answer to the question is: there is no answer to this question. How I get my swizarmy knife into the airplane cabin is between me and my proctologist but we are both agreed I’ll never try that with a set of Black Diamonds. This topic is a textbook example of an expired equine being subjected to a futile punishment regime. It doesn’t matter what the rules are: it’s Roulette. Sometimes you get lucky sometimes you don’t, but the house always wins. You might get your poles on an Air Canada flight to Erehwon, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get’em on your connecting flight from Erehwon to Llareggub.

Bridging a couple of recent threads. Last year travelling on the AVE from Malaga to Granada I had my Opinel knife/ corkscrew combi confiscated from my backpack. No-one took any notice of the other Opinel in my trouser pocket.

My advice for the OP and for everyone who has kindly contributed to this thread- save your energies for the gate-line. That is the only point of change available
I am sorry my friend but I cannot get the vision of your proctologist and the black diamonds out of my mind. Thanks a lot buddy LOL

Hello fellow Canadians!

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Erin
From Toronto to EU, it depends on the security agent not the airline. If you can get through security no issue at all. They change their mind like the wind ! Some agents say, not for recreational use, but others let them pass. The last time I was stopped I said "I need them for walking" and the agent skeptically let me through. If confiscated buy a cheap pair at Decathlon in Madrid. Good luck.

Hello fellow Canadians!

Cheers and Buen Camino!
Erin
You can also post your poles home from Santiago de C - might be wise if the rules are different in your return airport. The main post office provides special hiking pole postage boxes - approx 20€ including postage.

Last edited:

€46,-
If you bring your backpack on as a carry-on, it is most important that it’s size is within the guidelines for a carry-on for that airline. Those flight attendants struggling to fit everything into the overhead bins aren’t even paid by most airlines until the doors are closed. And they may force you to check your bag after you have boarded the plane anyway. As long as it is no more than the maximum size for carry-on bags, great. If not, check it. I personally don’t want to start a Camino by bending the rules to suit myself if my backpack is too big. And then you can check your poles with your backpack.

Sorry everyone! I didn’t anticipate this getting so blown up and contentious. I simply was asking if any Canadians had pushback at security recently, knowing the policy had changed and was published on their site. Maybe I should have worded it differently.

Erin
Keep asking questions and making contributions. If it weren’t for the ‘poles on planes’ threads the long winter evenings would pass very slowly. Just avoid the ‘two stamps’ question if you can.

Erin
Your question was a good one, not burdensome, and I’m sure it alerted many Canadians to the fact that the rules have changed and that for people going through security IN CANADA, there are explicit regulations, which even go so far as to specify the maximum length of the pole tip.

Human nature dictates that threads wander and stray off topic, but I think it’s worth it to summarize the important points that have been made.

1. Post #1, in which OP tells us about new Canadian regulations and provides a link to the new rules. The rules are from 2023, which means that any experiences from before 2023 are irrelevant to the OP’s question.

2. Post #19, in which @antepacem tells us about her July 2024 experience of NOT being able to walk on with her poles in spite of the new rule.

3. Posts #17 and 18, which suggest having a copy of the new regulations available, either on your phone or printed, so that you can respectfully show them to the security agents who may not be aware or up to speed with the new rules.

4. Post # 32, which despite its crankiness ;) makes the great point that just because you can take your poles through security in one country, you may not be able to carry them on if you have connecting flights in other countries.

It would be great if future posts in this thread could limit themselves to providing concrete experiences about bringing hiking poles through security in Canadian airports after November, 2023, when the new regulations were adopted. If the majority are finding that no one is paying attention to the new regulations and many poles are rejected, you would surely want to have a Plan B when you get to the airport. Fingers crossed that is not the case.

€46,-
Is it the money? I don’t think so… for some… maybe. For me… I avoided checking until I could get priority checking — because I didn’t want to arrive somewhere and have my checked bag not arrive with me.
But for those who are concerned, a chip tracker can help all way fears about where the bag is (but beware, once the bag gets inside the cargo container, a pretty good version of a Friday Cage, you won’t be able to get its signal… you just have to trust that it isn’t’ still sitting on the tarmac where your place was parked). You can also photograph your bar-code at check in for better tracking at the other end… but: TBH, we havne’t had a bag go missing since Rome to Toronto in 2004. I did once have skis go to Jamaica instead of to LAX for a ski holiday with my family at Lake Arrowhead…
Experiences like that can make people very nervous about losing their tailored equipment for a journey that relies on specialized stuff.

I came across this news story today about CATSA (mostly Ottawa based) and thought it might be interesting for those who replied to this post. It paints a fairly unflattering picture of CATSA and contractor Garda. Notable quotes from the article for me are:

"If you're surrounded by new recruits and there's nobody around to guide you, you can just make up regulations on your own and make up excuses," he said.

And

"Things were not being communicated to us clearly, then we were unintentionally misinforming passengers," they said, giving an example of changing interpretations around how certain items such as ice skates should be handled.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.