• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Helping me finding my Way :)

Jacqueline88

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles
Hello guys,
Iam Jacqueline, 36 years old lady, living in Germany originally from Egypt.
I plan to walk the shortest path "Camino Ingles from A Coruna".
My flight from Germany to Santiago this Sunday, will arrive by 6:00 PM.

I tried to read online about the process for registration and what to do but I got fully lost!

I would appreciate if someone can explain to me briefly what to do starting from reaching Santiago till completing the path specially where to register in Santiago and where should I start the path in A Coruna

Besides, I read that the certificate is given only if I walked min of 100KM to Santiago, how then the Camino Ingles from A Coruna is qualified although it is only 85km long?

Thanks for Supporting each other :)
Happy Walking

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Jacqueline88 , welcome to the forum.

Sorry, you cannot get a Compostela walking from A Coruna (unless you have first walked a stage or so on a qualifying route elsewhere). You could get a distance certificate though.

If the Compostela is important to you then I would suggest taking the bus or train to Ferrol and walking from there, it only adds two days to the walk. That was my first camino, it's beautiful.

As I understand it, the start of the Camino in A Coruna is at the church 'Igrexa de Santiago' in the old medieval part of the town.

There are two possible routes from there, I'll try and find the info for the variant and post it for you.

The easiest way to A Corona is by train, there are several per day and it's pretty quick.

Edited to add: sorry I cannot help with the registration process because I do not bother collecting a Compostela.

Last edited:
@Peterexpatkiwi Thanks for the fast response.

Since it's my first time and Iam tight in time (I have in around 12 days in total), I will stick with A Coruna option even without Compostela.

Any advice, extra hints for me specially doing it Solo and for the first time?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Oh my goodness, where to start? I don't know what you know, what you hope to achieve, or your level of experience - both as a traveler and as a walker.
Assuming that you plan to use the rest of your time sightseeing, enjoy at least one full day in A Coruna before you start. It's a lovely town, well worth exploring. I assume you already have a Credencial if you're planning to stay in an Albergue anywhere - if you just plan to use private accommodation it doesn't matter. Unless of course you want that distance certificate. I also assume you have all of your gear sorted, have a rough idea as to how far you're comfortable with walking per day, and so on.

Start slow, don't push yourself more than you're comfortable with. Remember to stop and look back sometimes: often, the best view is behind you!

Greet people whenever you can, (Spanish people are typically friendly, it's not like here in Germany) especially fellow pilgrims. If you are not staying in Albergues it will be harder to meet people however take the opportunity at any cafe/bar/restaurant. Ask if you can sit with them, or offer them a place at your table.
Assuming, of course, that you wish to do so! Some prefer to enjoy their solitude.

You're on the coast, the seafood dishes are excellent and far cheaper than here in Germany. Whilst I think all pilgrims should try a Pilgrim menu at least once, a la carte is so much better and often not much more expensive.

There is so much more that I could add. In fact I think I will just PM you with my phone number, if you want you're welcome to call.

Peter

Last edited:
It's a lovely route. There are no pilgrim albergues in A Coruña, but plenty of other accommodation. I wished I'd stayed in one close to the Ingrexa de Santiago, and looked at their website beforehand for their opening hours. You can get a pilgrim stamp there.
I took the coastal route out of A Corūna (details in the Brierley guide) which was enjoyable. No problems doing it on your own. I was there in April and didn't see any other pilgrims except at the albergue in Sergude until I reached Bruma. Book ahead if you want to stay in Bruma.
Buen Camino.

Most of the guidebooks say one can reach SdC in 6 days from Ferrol at a pace of 15 to 23 km/day. I took a week which included a day in Ferrol to see the Maritime Museum and rest day along the way in Ordes because I was waterlogged after 3 days of torrential rain and needed a laundromat and hotel room to dry my stuff out. As mentioned, buy a Brierley guidebook, it would be an immense help.

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
PS if you are not applying for a Compostela you don't need to register. I walked slow short stages of 10 to 16 k and the route only took six days (twice what the guides suggest for this route). So with 12 days you should have a good amount of time to enjoy A Coruña and Santiago.

PS if you are not applying for a Compostela you don't need to register. I walked slow short stages of 10 to 16 k and the route only took six days (twice what the guides suggest for this route). So with 12 days you should have a good amount of time to enjoy A Coruña and Santiago.
i guess that exactly what I need , walk but in relax pace enjoying the surroundings,
my concern is about accommodation.if I can find sporadically somewhere ro sleep or where to look atall.

iam not interested in the certificate nor the stamps, just the pleasure of the walk :)
if possible i will pm you my phone number.will highly appreciate a call :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Jacqueline
I've sent you a personal message. I hope your flight is good and you have somewhere to stay in Santiago tonight. Best to call me tomorrow morning.
I met several people on the Ingles who were walking very short stages for health reasons.
For accomodation you can look at gronze.com or on of the apps such as Wise Pilgrim. If you want to stay in pilgrim accommodation you will need a credential which you can get in Santiago at Casa Ivar, or, I expect, at the pilgrim office.
Best wishes
Barbara

Those walking from A Coruña can get a Compostela if they have walked at least 25k on a pilgrim route elsewhere recognised by the Cathedral authorities, and have the stamps to evidence it. I believe there may also be an exception for residents of A Coruña.
Please could you give the source for your statement.

Most read last week in this forum

Tomorrow morning my wife and I begin our first Camino. We have been in Ferrol since yesterday and are itching to get started. I am a little nervous because we’ve never done anything like this...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back