• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Hello 😃

nitahalstead

Time of past OR future Camino
July 12, 2024 Camino Primitivo
Greetings fellow travelers,

I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino Ways. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with these two companies?

Thank you!

~Nita
Eugene, Oregon, U.S.

Join Camino Cleanup: Logroño to Burgos May 2025 and Astorga to O'Cebreiro in June.
Why not thinking about Nitahalstead Ways ?
(I mean it is easy to plan a Camino: the added value is not worth paying for organization)
Many members here can help you organize a Primitivo for free: just tell us how many kilometers you want to walk a day, if you do want to stop in some towns and so on....

Last edited:
Hi @nitahalstead, and welcome to the forum.

I think that @Pafayac is suggesting that you could consider planning the Camino yourself.

I haven't walked the Primitivo myself, nor used an agency, so I don't have specifics to answer your questions. However, I have added a tag "travel-agencies/groups" under the title of this thread. If you click on the tag, you will find a number of threads discussing that topic. Some threads will likely mention the agencies that you ask about. The threads will also discuss what things you should watch for and request when you are choosing a service and making arrangements.

In general, the popular Caminos are very easy to plan on your own - including deciding stages, booking accommodation, and luggage transport. However, you mention that this is your first international trip, so I understand that you might feel the need for some extra support.

Are you talking about mid-July 2024 or 2025? If you are planning for 2025, you would have more time to research the route, the agencies, and consider which services you might need or want.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I am hoping to do my first international trip at 57 and solo to walk the Camino Primitivo in mid-July. I want to book the trip through either Santiago Ways or Camino Ways. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience with these two companies?

Thank you!

~Nita
Eugene, Oregon, U.S.
Hi Nita. Welcome from a fellow Oregonian (I grew up in Roseburg)!

How exciting, your first international trip and a Camino at that! As I know so little about you, I’m hesitant to offer my regular advice, like above, of planning your own Camino. I don’t want to make any assumptions about you or project how easy it was for me to plan my Caminos without knowing more about you and your comfort or tolerance levels for things that happen when traveling or on a Camino.

A number of years ago I developed and guided a number of group trips to Europe. Many of my travelers had never left the country prior to this trip. Because of so many unknowns, many were hesitant to venture out solo. I get it! For those of us who have traveled a great deal, we may forget some of our own early anxieties or apprehensions when setting out for lands unknown. A reputable company helping you plan your Camino will take a lot of guess work out of this trip.

So, without knowing anything else about you than what you indicated in your post, I’m going to err on the conservative side and suggest that the structure and assistances offered by a tour company might be very appropriate for you. None of us here want you to have anything but a great Camino experience. You’re the best one to know about how you handle new situations and what your level of tolerance is for uncertainty. Therefore, having someone help organize your Camino might be a very good decision.

Mid-July ‘24 is just a month away. That’s not much time to get ready for a Camino. Unfortunately, I don’t know anything about these two tour companies. If I were you, I’d contact both of them and ask for a list of people who have used them recently as references. Talk to them. In any case, best of luck with your Camino. Go Ducks!

Thank you!

~Nita
Eugene, Oregon, U.S.
Tripadvisor is usually a good place to start. there are several companies that offer similar services. best of luck & Buen Camino

I used CaminoWays in 2021 for myself and my husband from Sarria to Santiago. They were very helpful, though I would recommend downloading and using WhatsApp to talk to them in Spain, should you need to.

I've heard good things about Santiago Ways, and not so good about FTC, but that's all hearsay.

That gave me enough confidence to do the Primitivo by myself, booking myself, in September 2023. WhatsApp, Buen Camino, Wise Pilgrim, and even a bit of Gronze were very useful, along with a bit of Spanish.

One of two things I would suggest very strongly is, if you mean July 2024, best get on it now. There are a couple of tight points that may mean you'll need a taxi, if they fill up.

The other is this. You've not said what your walking/ hiking experience is. You're from the hilly part of OR, so if you have done long hikes with pack there, you should be fine. If you haven't, or if you're getting over illness or injury, please plan shorter and more stops for the first few days than the apps recommend. Be honest with yourself and the tour company.

Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used CaminoWays in 2021 for myself and my husband from Sarria to Santiago. They were very helpful, though I would recommend downloading and using WhatsApp to talk to them in Spain, should you need to.

I've heard good things about Santiago Ways, and not so good about FTC, but that's all hearsay.

That gave me enough confidence to do the Primitivo by myself, booking myself, in September 2023. WhatsApp, Buen Camino, Wise Pilgrim, and even a bit of Gronze were very useful, along with a bit of Spanish.

One of two things I would suggest very strongly is, if you mean July 2024, best get on it now. There are a couple of tight points that may mean you'll need a taxi, if they fill up.

The other is this. You've not said what your walking/ hiking experience is. You're from the hilly part of OR, so if you have done long hikes with pack there, you should be fine. If you haven't, or if you're getting over illness or injury, please plan shorter and more stops for the first few days than the apps recommend. Be honest with yourself and the tour company.

Buen Camino!
Thank you for this response, dbier. Since this is my first Camino walk, should I rethink doing the Primitivo? I am 57 and in decent shape, so a 9-10 mile walk isn’t a problem I’m the hills around here. That said, I haven’t done a lot of hiking with a pack and did have an ankle injury over 2 years ago that required surgery, but it seems to be fine now. Thoughts? Different route?

should I rethink doing the Primitivo?
How much time do you have? This will inform the route options.

When are you talking about - 2024 or 2025? This will affect the urgency of making arrangements.

How sociable do your want your Camino to be, and do you speak Spanish? This will affect your decision, for example, because the last 100 km of the Camino Frances are very busy with Spanish walkers in July.

Do you care about reaching Santiago?

What type of accommodation do you want? Private rooms? Shared dorms in albergues? A mix of both?

How much time do you have? This will inform the route options.

When are you talking about - 2024 or 2025? This will affect the urgency of making arrangements.

How sociable do your want your Camino to be, and do you speak Spanish? This will affect your decision, for example, because the last 100 km of the Camino Frances are very busy with Spanish walkers in July.

Do you care about reaching Santiago?

What type of accommodation do you want? Private rooms? Shared dorms in albergues? A mix of both?
I am a school counselor, so I’m technically off work until August 17th. I am looking at doing the Camino Primitivo from July 12th-July 31st of 2024 (so I need to book this right away) with an extra day in Oviedo so I can rest after flights before walking, an extra day in Lugo so that I can rest (or have the possibility of arranging accommodations at a point before Lugo if that longest day of walking is too much). I am somewhat open-ended once I reach Santiago. I don’t speak Spanish but am doing my best to Duolingo and Babbel for at least 30 minutes per day. I do want to reach Santiago and chose Primitivo from Oviedo because it feels like a complete route with both some challenge and solitude. I have six adult children and my youngest just got her own apartment. I have a stressful job where I absorb a lot of adolescent’s emotions. And I just ended a 20-year relationship. I’m looking to make contact with myself and with nature and with other travelers, but not to actually travel with anyone, if that makes sense. The quotes I have from Camino Ways and Santiago Ways are for private rooms, which feels important to me on this first journey on my own. All of this said, I’m not totally athletic. People tell me I have a lot of “grit” and I did survive childbirth 6 times without any pain meds, but I understand I was a lot younger and this is a different kind of journey altogether. ☺️

I sure appreciate finding this forum and the advice and questions! Gracias!

~Nita

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am a school counselor, so I’m technically off work until August 17th. I am looking at doing the Camino Primitivo from July 12th-July 31st of 2024 (so I need to book this right away) with an extra day in Oviedo so I can rest after flights before walking, an extra day in Lugo so that I can rest (or have the possibility of arranging accommodations at a point before Lugo if that longest day of walking is too much). I am somewhat open-ended once I reach Santiago. I don’t speak Spanish but am doing my best to Duolingo and Babbel for at least 30 minutes per day. I do want to reach Santiago and chose Primitivo from Oviedo because it feels like a complete route with both some challenge and solitude. I have six adult children and my youngest just got her own apartment. I have a stressful job where I absorb a lot of adolescent’s emotions. And I just ended a 20-year relationship. I’m looking to make contact with myself and with nature and with other travelers, but not to actually travel with anyone, if that makes sense. The quotes I have from Camino Ways and Santiago Ways are for private rooms, which feels important to me on this first journey on my own. All of this said, I’m not totally athletic. People tell me I have a lot of “grit” and I did survive childbirth 6 times without any pain meds, but I understand I was a lot younger and this is a different kind of journey altogether. ☺️

~Nita
Nita, welcome. Hopefully by the time you read this you have already booked, I'd hate you to miss out on a fantastic experience!
I walked the Primitivo mid July last year, so the same timeframe as yourself. It's a wonderful Camino.
I am a seasoned traveler but I still also occasionally book private rooms, for your first overseas journey & Camino I couldn't agree more - a private room is a great idea. If you make at least a minimal effort to speak with people along the way - in cafes and bars during a break for example - then it's not that hard to join them later for dinner so you don't miss out on social contact should you want it. As a 60-year-old single Pilgrim I would often sit down alone, but welcome others to my table, both in Cafés and restaurants. I only ever ate alone once, and that was because I wanted to!

A major advantage of having accommodation booked is that you can then take the entire day to walk, there is zero Rush. You will read this elsewhere: start slow, and maintain your own pace - don't be tempted to try and keep up with anybody else. Listen to your body.
The moment you get the sense that you're forming a blister, deal with it immediately - don't wait!

A rest day in Lugo is a good idea, apart from anything else it's very scenic.

Your comment about pain meds made me laugh! But just remember: childbirth didn't go on for 14 days straight - so a couple of strips of ibuprofen should join your plasters in your pack, if only for the anti-inflammatory effects!
And your body might appreciate the mild painkilling effects, - especially first thing in the morning - because it won't be flooded with natural endorphins....

Edited to add: I just reread your post and saw the comment about your ankle.
My suggestion for you is to see how you go with your pack, should your ankle start to play up then consider having your main pack shipped ahead. (This will be collected from your accommodation and delivered to the next ).
Many of us carry an ultra light day pack for use when wandering around town of an evening, groceries etc - that can double as a bag for your rain gear, food and water should you need to ship your pack ahead. (Mine is 20l, weighs 120g)
I understand your concern because I am currently convalescing at home with a broken ankle !

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Others have covered a lot of good points already. I would suggest that you start now going on some walks with your backpack (loaded with what you expect to take). My pattern for training is start with shorter walks (like 5km) and gradually build up length and frequency to 20km walks. When I can walk 20km three days in a row with my backpack and without a lot of aches and pains I know I am ready. This will also give you lots of time to see how your ankle handles it.

I walked the Primitivo last summer at age 59 and didn't find it as challenging as I had been led to believe, but then again, I had just walked the Madrid and San Salvador as a warm up. I had real problems with my knees on the Frances in 2016 when I walked without training before (and without poles at the beginning). On the San Salvador and Primitivo, certainly more challenging to the knees, I had no problems at all with my knees. Needless to say, I also recommend that you use poles, which may also help to take some of the weight from your ankles (as well as the knees).

What Peter and C Clearly and David said, and Camino Ways ( and Santiago Ways) will also arrange for pack transport. Or you could start with your pack and then ship day to day with envelopes from TaxiCamino or Jacotrans, since you'll know where you're staying. Get some euros in country .
(Ask Camino Ways to break up your first two days into 3 or 4, if you can).

Buen Camino! You got this!

Others have covered a lot of good points already. I would suggest that you start now going on some walks with your backpack (loaded with what you expect to take). My pattern for training is start with shorter walks (like 5km) and gradually build up length and frequency to 20km walks. When I can walk 20km three days in a row with my backpack and without a lot of aches and pains I know I am ready. This will also give you lots of time to see how your ankle handles it.
I also recommend that you use poles, which may also help to take some of the weight from your ankles (as well as the knees).
Very good points: training and poles!

You've only got a few weeks so keep the training easy, don't go pushing and injuring yourself. It's more important to walk regularly than to walk long distances. A few kilometres three or four times a week will benefit you far more than one day on the weekend doing 20+. Use the time as an opportunity to sort your gear and get used to walking with a full backpack (if you don't already). It gives you time to adjust the pack, and the load properly.

Poles: if you don't already use them consider buying a cheap pair and practicing with them at home. Learn to use them properly and they are your best friend. They are absolutely useless carried on your pack, they should be carrying you at all times. I am a recent convert, I was astonished to find that within three days I was increasing my distance that I comfortably walked daily by around 15% ( I jumped from 20 km to 23 or so, on the same trail in the same time frame) . And my knees were not sore after descents.

There are many training videos: after researching this thoroughly I found that some are absolute rubbish, a couple are excellent - if you would like I'm happy to send you a link.

As you have already done quite a bit of walking and you're a mother of six you probably don't need help with packing lists. If I'm wrong first do a little research on here, if you still have any questions feel free to ask - you'll get plenty of assistance!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Before I forget:

Program 112 into your phone labelled 'Police/ Fire/ Ambulance' . Then should you ever need to use it, it will be super easy to find!

Alert cops is an excellent app, they speak English, you can send them photos, report any type of crime, even request assistance - it's not just for emergencies.
(Be aware as an American you may find you cannot fully install it until you are actually in country, there is a way around this, just ask if you come up with the problem and one of us will find the link to the information you need.)

apps.apple.com

AlertCops 4.0

AlertCops is the citizen security alert service that the Spanish Law Enforcement Authorities (Policia and Guardía Civil) provide to assist you in risk situations. AlertCops is a complementary channel. You can send alerts with images or videos to the nearest emergency center, chat directly with...
apps.apple.com

Last edited:

~Nita

Hello Nita! I did the Camino Primitivo in September 2022 and I’m planning to do the Camino Portuguese this September 2024. I also took an extra day in Lugo and an extra day in Santiago. I used a company called Follow The Camino and they were great. They set up all of my accommodations and took my luggage each day so that I only had a walk with my day pack. I also requested private rooms. It was my first Camino and I was personally just nervous to set things up on my own. I’m using them again for this Camino but I might consider doing it on my own for future ones. It just took a lot of the anxiety out of it so I could focus on my training and the experience itself.

It sounds like you want a bit of a solo spiritual experience if I’m reading correctly. That is what I wanted as well and so I walked it solo. I was coming out of a very significant life change and found the two week solo experience to be transformative. I definitely met some lovely people along the way and would chat with them when I wanted at stops to stretch or for lunch for example, but I mostly kept to myself the rest of the time. I thought the Primitivo was perfect for this. It’s tough, it’s hilly, but I wasn’t in tiptop shape when I went and I was able to do it. I had some extra weight on me when I did that Camino as well but I have a lot of endurance which I think is similar to the grit that you were talking about in yourself so I certainly think it’s doable. The key for me was to have plenty of training in advance. I gave myself about 4 to 5 months of training. And I made sure I worked hills in wherever I could. I don’t know how walking in in July is compared to September. The weather seemed perfect in September, I think it only rained once when I went. Anyway that’s my two cents on the subject. My feeling is if your soul is calling you to do it and you train properly, You’ll be able to do it. Every night I would hit one of my accommodations and think there is no way I’m gonna be able to do another day and I would wake up ready to go again! I wish you the best of luck and if you have any questions, feel free to private message me through the forum. Buen Camino!

I walked the Primitivo last summer at age 59 and didn't find it as challenging as I had been led to believe, but then again, I had just walked the Madrid and San Salvador as a warm up. I had real problems with my knees on the Frances in 2016 when I walked without training before (and without poles at the beginning). On the San Salvador and Primitivo, certainly more challenging to the knees, I had no problems at all with my knees. Needless to say, I also recommend that you use poles, which may also help to take some of the weight from your ankles (as well as the knees).
I totally agree, regarding the poles. I had heard pros and cons and I erred on the side of caution and trained with them for my first Primitivo and I’m so glad I did. Walking with poles saved me!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I am a nervous first timer trying the first hike on CF from September 24-28, flying from NY area to Paris. Original plan was SJPDP to Pamplona, but then heard it will be rainy during...
Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...
I have walked the CF twice in August and October plus the Le Puy camino in August. I walked Irun to Bilbao in August as well. I planned to walk the Portuguese camino from Lisbon but now don't...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.