Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Héctor Walks His Way- Week 6

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
I hope this is the final stretch!

What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly…

La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km.

Last night, when having dinner at the only restaurant that I could find in La Faba whether they opened in the morning, and I was told yes, at 6:30 AM. They weren’t. Luckily I had some snacks with me so I didn’t start on a completely empty stomach.

It was still dark and my little headlamp wasn’t much help. When leaving town, the trail becomes very steep and rocky, and I felt uncomfortable with how little I could see. Fortunately several pilgrims started to trickle by, with much better lights, so I took advantage of the added visibility when they passed me by.

It was a very steep, rocky uphill but fortunately only a couple kilometers, and daybreak came, which helped me a lot feel more secure in my footing. The next town was Laguna de Castilla, only a couple kilometers away. I could hear the cowbells and smell the manure of the cows in the dairy barns. I also had a close encounter with a dog, but it turns out he was chasing a car, not me.

I had breakfast at Laguna de Castilla and resumed my walk. It was a cool, sunny morning and I kept climbing up the mountain, until I finally reached the stone marker that announced I was entering Galicia. The views were getting more spectacular until I reached O Cebreiro. Around this time, my stomach was acting up, so I didn’t get to enjoy it a whole lot, but I was able to care of my ailments.

There was a couple of tour buses and out came what has been called “turigrinos”. I wasn’t happy with such a big crowd so I left town. I stopped at the town of Liñares, which I mistook for Linares, the birthplace of a Spanish singer very popular back in the 60s and 70s, Raphael Martos. I stopped at a bar to use the bathroom, and struck up a conversation with the lady at the counter. She corrected me by pointing to the town of Linares in Jaén, not this town of Liñares in Galicia. We started to talk about Spain, and I mentioned that I’m a PR and used to be part of Spain, and to my surprise, she pulls out a PR flag given to her by a customer. It was a good moment, I wish I could have stayed longer. Her name is Sofia and she gave me permission to post her pic with the flag.

There were a couple of climbs, the second one was Alto de Poio, which was very steep. I tacked it by using a zig-zag approach. Looking back at the ground I’ve covered, I was insanely high, and eventually I got to the top, where I knew was a bar…but it was mobbed by teenagers, apparently on a school trip. I wound up going to the bar across the street, and ordered lunch, which was very generous. The bar was deserted other than a couple of older men talking in Galego (Galician), something I kept hearing all day.

It was getting late in the afternoon.i knew that the route will start going sharply downhill, but I still had to walk about 10 Km downhill, and no telling what kind of terrain I would find. It was also getting much warmer, and that has a draining effect. I even considered calling a Taxi, but I gave myself little breaks with each successive town I reached. The views continued to be spectacular and that helped take my mind off the tiredness and heat.

Eventually, I got to Triacastela. I showered, ate, and now ready to go to bed, but tomorrow will be shorter. I’ll be going to Sarria.

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/EmjMGtpKpYPoHs93/?mibextid=WC7FNe

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly…

Last night, when having dinner at the only restaurant that I could find in La Faba whether they opened in the morning, and I was told yes, at 6:30 AM. They weren’t. Luckily I had some snacks with me so I didn’t start on a completely empty stomach.

It was still dark and my little headlamp wasn’t much help. When leaving town, the trail becomes very steep and rocky, and I felt uncomfortable with how little I could see. Fortunately several pilgrims started to trickle by, with much better lights, so I took advantage of the added visibility when they passed me by.

It was a very steep, rocky uphill but fortunately only a couple kilometers, and daybreak came, which helped me a lot feel more secure in my footing. The next town was Laguna de Castilla, only a couple kilometers away. I could hear the cowbells and smell the manure of the cows in the dairy barns. I also had a close encounter with a dog, but it turns out he was chasing a car, not me.

I had breakfast at Laguna de Castilla and resumed my walk. It was a cool, sunny morning and I kept climbing up the mountain, until I finally reached the stone marker that announced I was entering Galicia. The views were getting more spectacular until I reached O Cebreiro. Around this time, my stomach was acting up, so I didn’t get to enjoy it a whole lot, but I was able to care of my ailments.

There was a couple of tour buses and out came what has been called “turigrinos”. I wasn’t happy with such a big crowd so I left town. I stopped at the town of Liñares, which I mistook for Linares, the birthplace of a Spanish singer very popular back in the 60s and 70s, Raphael Martos. I stopped at a bar to use the bathroom, and struck up a conversation with the lady at the counter. She corrected me by pointing to the town of Linares in Jaén, not this town of Liñares in Galicia. We started to talk about Spain, and I mentioned that I’m a PR and used to be part of Spain, and to my surprise, she pulls out a PR flag given to her by a customer. It was a good moment, I wish I could have stayed longer. Her name is Sofia and she gave me permission to post her pic with the flag.

There were a couple of climbs, the second one was Alto de Poio, which was very steep. I tacked it by using a zig-zag approach. Looking back at the ground I’ve covered, I was insanely high, and eventually I got to the top, where I knew was a bar…but it was mobbed by teenagers, apparently on a school trip. I wound up going to the bar across the street, and ordered lunch, which was very generous. The bar was deserted other than a couple of older men talking in Galego (Galician), something I kept hearing all day.

It was getting late in the afternoon.i knew that the route will start going sharply downhill, but I still had to walk about 10 Km downhill, and no telling what kind of terrain I would find. It was also getting much warmer, and that has a draining effect. I even considered calling a Taxi, but I gave myself little breaks with each successive town I reached. The views continued to be spectacular and that helped take my mind off the tiredness and heat.

Eventually, I got to Triacastela. I showered, ate, and now ready to go to bed, but tomorrow will be shorter. I’ll be going to Sarria.

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/EmjMGtpKpYPoHs93/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Your 'questioning' first post is well behind you Hector! A mighty effort thus far. You've done everything and more. Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey Hector, well done!
After Sarria it's more pleasant to stay at smaller pueblos, rather than the 'usual' ones where everyone stops. You have lots of options. For example, in April I stayed at a really nice albergue in Boente after Melide, El Alemain. I just walked in without booking, and it was a fabulous place.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@HBS60 I finished last week and my experience staying at in-between places sounded completely different to friends who stayed at the common stage points.

I walked
1.Samos to A Pena staying at Casa do Rego at the 100km mark (lovely place all the good reviews are true, great food) - I booked this via WhatsApp
2. A Pena to Airexe de Ligonde(25km) staying at the Xunta (that night one of 4 in 16 possible beds)
3. Airexe to Melide (20km) staying at Albergue San Anton but looked like there were many albergues
4. Melide to Salceda (25km) staying at albergue la corona - lots of beds and good simple local food in the bar/pension up the road.
5. Salceda to SdC (27km)

FYI that night in Salceda there were at least 2 pilgrims who had to taxi back from O Pedrouso as they couldn't find a bed.

Not far to go! Try to enjoy it, the atmosphere changes a bit after Sarria but I found by not staying Sarria/Portomarin/Palas do Rei/Arzúa/O Pedrouso I missed the worst of it and often had the camino to myself

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).

Go you! Almost to Sarria……

Be aware of the alternative routes out of Triacastela: via north route, or south via Samos. I took the Samos route (very nice) because it appears the north route doesn't have many resources either for layover or food.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Well done Héctor you’re almost in the final stretch. Chin up one step at a time. Keith

Triacastela to Sarria: 11.1 miles 17.86 Km.

I got up early as usual and packed my things. As it happened, I was the only occupant of my 10 bunk albergue room, so for a change I didn’t have to pack my cPAP machine in the dark (I’ve gotten good at it as I try not to disturb other pilgrims). I had a nice dinner last night at a big restaurant around the corner, it was a full-service restaurant so I was happy to hear they opened at 6 AM in the morning for breakfast. So I went there thinking I would get my tortilla (which I don’t actually like too much but at least the egg is a protein source). Unfortunately, they weren’t offering tortillas or any other protein source like a bocadillo, just coffee, bread, and pastries. I had my coffee with a yogurt cake, worried because I haven’t been able to find an open tienda in two days, yesterday was Sunday hence closed, on Saturday at La Faba I never saw it open. It’s not that I don’t try to plan ahead…

I set out while still dark, but something didn’t feel right. It was very cold and dark. My headlamp was on and I could actually see my breath fogging up my vision. No other pilgrims was in sight. After debating it, I decided to turn around to wait for daylight. I went back to my albergue and left when there was enough light to not need the headlight. Daybreak is coming later and later each day, but my circadian rhythm hasn’t got the message.

There are two routes I could take to Sarria, and I chose the shorter one. It did involve a climb, nothing as severe as yesterday, but I struggled because I simply didn’t have the energy. I was feeling depleted from yesterday and not having my protein didn’t help. I figured I might have residual dehydration so I drank an Aquarius, which helped.

I decided to take it easy since today’s walk was going to be shorter than yesterday’s, and the climbs not as hard, and mostly over earlier in the day.

A Pilgrim whom I met at Trabadelo caught up with me, much to my surprise, as I figured he’d be way ahead of me. We chatted and then he moved on. Eventually I got to the hardest part of the climb and I sat down at a bench at the entrance of the town Montán, when another Pilgrim I also met in Trabadelo caught up with me and sat next to me. As a rule, people on the Camino have been very friendly and generous, I certainly can’t complain about that.

I knew from the guides that this town didn’t have any restaurants, but at the end I found a vending machine, so I got a Coke (I can’t remember if it was regular or Coke Zero). I continued to walk and stumbled upon a very cool, quirky place, where there were couches, chairs, fruits, foods, decorations, a garden, even a Yoga and meditation room. A pilgrim was playing some random chords on a guitar, and it was a perfect place to relax. The owner even made me a cafe con leche and I got a cupcake. He runs this on a donativo basis. I wish I could have lingered but I had to move on.

Eventually I got to a town that had an open bar, by now it was lunchtime, so I got a bacon burguer (I’m an avowed carnivore) and felt much better after that.

The rest of the walk was uneventful, going up and down hills, cow pastures, through towns paved with cow manure, crossing highways, going through forests, and negotiating the ocasional rocky terrain.

As I got closer to Sarria, it was warming up, but finally I made it to a very nice Albergue. I got settled in, showered, did my laundry, and tried to book my next Albergue. While doing this, I watched how crowd after crowd of young people were coming in. I tried to call several places I the next recommended town, Portomarín, but everything was booked. I knew this could happen because Sarria is a popular Camino starting point because it meets the required 100 Km distance to be walked to obtain the Compostela. Moreover, other Caminos converge with the Camino Francés, so it tends to become crowded from this point on.

Since there are lesser known towns, it’s easier to find a place to stay in these and avoid the crowds. Problem is that it makes it harder to calculate how much to walk each day. At a suggestion that was made to me, tomorrow I’ll stay at Pena, which is only 14 Km away, but the only further away options were too far away. Given that I didn’t do do good this morning, it might be best to limit my walking. I’m hoping to make it to Santiago on the 21-22nd, but it’s hard to predict.

I went out to get dinner and buy some snacks, much easier to do on a big city. They have a nice river walk, where I ate, then I went down to the ATM machine and the store, on the way back I got some ice cream, relaxing and enjoying the views. I’m drinking fluids and I hope to feel energetic enough to tackle the final stretch.

I hope I get a day or two after arriving in Santiago to unwind, maybe I’ll get a pedicure (my poor footsies deserve it, where’s a good place?), if time allows, take a bus to Fisterra to see the ocean but that’s optional.

I’m not sure how to feel. I’m glad that I’m coming close to do what I said I would do, I’m sad that I don’t know if I’ll ever see again some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, I’m excited at plans I have for my garden, revive my woodworking, get into a better fitness program, playing my piano, and looking forward to letting all this marinade and see where it takes me from here.

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/5rDAkDaH3DcvbFnW/?mibextid=WC7FNe

it makes it harder to calculate how much to walk each day.
How so? It's no harder if you have any guide at all - they all show intermediate distances.
Here's what my map shows:
Lots of options to try:
Screenshot_20240916_093113_OsmAnd.jpg
Casa Morgade, Casa Banderas, and Albergue Mercadoiro are all decent options before Portomarin.

I hope to feel energetic enough to tackle the final stretch.
Why not? You're doing fine, from the sound of it. Weary, yes, but that's normal at this point. But concern about that can sap as much energy as the walking itself. One step at a time is almost always possible, barring injury, acute illness, or heat stress - and fortunately none of those apply. 😊

Last edited:
Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Keep on trucking

I got up early as usual and packed my things. As it happened, I was the only occupant of my 10 bunk albergue room, so for a change I didn’t have to pack my cPAP machine in the dark (I’ve gotten good at it as I try not to disturb other pilgrims). I had a nice dinner last night at a big restaurant around the corner, it was a full-service restaurant so I was happy to hear they opened at 6 AM in the morning for breakfast. So I went there thinking I would get my tortilla (which I don’t actually like too much but at least the egg is a protein source). Unfortunately, they weren’t offering tortillas or any other protein source like a bocadillo, just coffee, bread, and pastries. I had my coffee with a yogurt cake, worried because I haven’t been able to find an open tienda in two days, yesterday was Sunday hence closed, on Saturday at La Faba I never saw it open. It’s not that I don’t try to plan ahead…

I set out while still dark, but something didn’t feel right. It was very cold and dark. My headlamp was on and I could actually see my breath fogging up my vision. No other pilgrims was in sight. After debating it, I decided to turn around to wait for daylight. I went back to my albergue and left when there was enough light to not need the headlight. Daybreak is coming later and later each day, but my circadian rhythm hasn’t got the message.

There are two routes I could take to Sarria, and I chose the shorter one. It did involve a climb, nothing as severe as yesterday, but I struggled because I simply didn’t have the energy. I was feeling depleted from yesterday and not having my protein didn’t help. I figured I might have residual dehydration so I drank an Aquarius, which helped.

I decided to take it easy since today’s walk was going to be shorter than yesterday’s, and the climbs not as hard, and mostly over earlier in the day.

A Pilgrim whom I met at Trabadelo caught up with me, much to my surprise, as I figured he’d be way ahead of me. We chatted and then he moved on. Eventually I got to the hardest part of the climb and I sat down at a bench at the entrance of the town Montán, when another Pilgrim I also met in Trabadelo caught up with me and sat next to me. As a rule, people on the Camino have been very friendly and generous, I certainly can’t complain about that.

I knew from the guides that this town didn’t have any restaurants, but at the end I found a vending machine, so I got a Coke (I can’t remember if it was regular or Coke Zero). I continued to walk and stumbled upon a very cool, quirky place, where there were couches, chairs, fruits, foods, decorations, a garden, even a Yoga and meditation room. A pilgrim was playing some random chords on a guitar, and it was a perfect place to relax. The owner even made me a cafe con leche and I got a cupcake. He runs this on a donativo basis. I wish I could have lingered but I had to move on.

Eventually I got to a town that had an open bar, by now it was lunchtime, so I got a bacon burguer (I’m an avowed carnivore) and felt much better after that.

The rest of the walk was uneventful, going up and down hills, cow pastures, through towns paved with cow manure, crossing highways, going through forests, and negotiating the ocasional rocky terrain.

As I got closer to Sarria, it was warming up, but finally I made it to a very nice Albergue. I got settled in, showered, did my laundry, and tried to book my next Albergue. While doing this, I watched how crowd after crowd of young people were coming in. I tried to call several places I the next recommended town, Portomarín, but everything was booked. I knew this could happen because Sarria is a popular Camino starting point because it meets the required 100 Km distance to be walked to obtain the Compostela. Moreover, other Caminos converge with the Camino Francés, so it tends to become crowded from this point on.

Since there are lesser known towns, it’s easier to find a place to stay in these and avoid the crowds. Problem is that it makes it harder to calculate how much to walk each day. At a suggestion that was made to me, tomorrow I’ll stay at Pena, which is only 14 Km away, but the only further away options were too far away. Given that I didn’t do do good this morning, it might be best to limit my walking. I’m hoping to make it to Santiago on the 21-22nd, but it’s hard to predict.

I went out to get dinner and buy some snacks, much easier to do on a big city. They have a nice river walk, where I ate, then I went down to the ATM machine and the store, on the way back I got some ice cream, relaxing and enjoying the views. I’m drinking fluids and I hope to feel energetic enough to tackle the final stretch.

I hope I get a day or two after arriving in Santiago to unwind, maybe I’ll get a pedicure (my poor footsies deserve it, where’s a good place?), if time allows, take a bus to Fisterra to see the ocean but that’s optional.

I’m not sure how to feel. I’m glad that I’m coming close to do what I said I would do, I’m sad that I don’t know if I’ll ever see again some of the nicest people I’ve ever met, I’m excited at plans I have for my garden, revive my woodworking, get into a better fitness program, playing my piano, and looking forward to letting all this marinade and see where it takes me from here.

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/5rDAkDaH3DcvbFnW/?mibextid=WC7FNe
That Sarria stretch brings up all sorts of emotions and the coming week will probably be as profound a week for you as the one just before you started. You've really embraced your Camino; the 'go with the flow, plans change but what the heck' philosophy. Revel in every minute ahead and Buen Camino!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

Good job. You found Si’s oasis by going the hill route. I used to go via Samos, but last 4 times I went the shorter way for peace and the fantastic assortment of treats.

“Crowded” as it was last May, I got a whole dorm room to myself in each of the 3 Albergue’s I stayed on the way to Santiago….with no reservations….late in the day. Just stop in small villages.

Note; I forgot to include the Relive map video, i just added it so it should be visible now
Hi Héctor
The final push is nigh. VM is spot on, I chose to stop the last Albergue before hitting the main towns, most of them have lots of spare beds available without booking and I was walking July and August so shouldn’t be a problem now.
When you’ve walked from SJPP to Santiago you feel a real sense of accomplishment and take time to reflect your journey. Unfortunately it sounds like the Sarria walkers are still plenty full, avoid them as much as possible, their noise will spoil your karma. It’s a hugely proud achievement walking the whole Camino Héctor. You’ve faced many challenges and fought through terribly proud of you. Buen Camino Keith

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.
I can’t find any Albergue in Vilacha listed in Wise Pilgrim or Gronze, so I booked Casa do Rego in Pena.

This is my tentative itinerary:

Tuesday, Casa do Rego in Pena 14.2 Kn from Sarria
Wednesday: Eirexe 24.6 Km
Thursday: Melide 22.1 Km
Friday: Calle-O Outero 21.9 Km
Saturday: Lavacolla 20.5
Sunday: SDC!!! An easy 10.3 Km!!! This way I hope to arrive to SDC in good shape, not exhausted, dragging myself.

I’ll try to prebook places in these towns ahead of time but any suggestions welcome. I will consider Furelis if Melide is too full.

What are the hours of the Pilgrim office to get my Compostela? Particularly on a Sunday? I hope to arrive before they are closed.

What was the name of that place in SDC where I can stay? It was suggested to me earlier but it’s buried in the comments.

Fisterra-Muxia- I’m concerned we might get some rain, in which case I’ll pass as I also need time to decompress before my trip to Madrid.

I need suggestions for a place in Madrid reachable from Chamartin station but also convenient to the airport as I have an early flight on the 26th

I’m actually starting to plan my trip back home…

Thanks, once again, for all the support, suggestions and feedback!

What are the hours of the Pilgrim office to get my Compostela? Particularly on a Sunday? I hope to arrive before they are closed.
They are open 7 days a week from 10 am to 6 pm.

Register in advance to speed up the process:

Thanks for all the responses, much appreciated.
I can’t find any Albergue in Vilacha listed in Wise Pilgrim or Gronze, so I booked Casa do Rego in Pena.

This is my tentative itinerary:

Tuesday, Casa do Rego in Pena 14.2 Kn from Sarria
Wednesday: Eirexe 24.6 Km
Thursday: Melide 22.1 Km
Friday: Calle-O Outero 21.9 Km
Saturday: Lavacolla 20.5
Sunday: SDC!!! An easy 10.3 Km!!! This way I hope to arrive to SDC in good shape, not exhausted, dragging myself.

I’ll try to prebook places in these towns ahead of time but any suggestions welcome. I will consider Furelis if Melide is too full.

What was the name of that place in SDC where I can stay? It was suggested to me earlier but it’s buried in the comments.

Fisterra-Muxia- I’m concerned we might get some rain, in which case I’ll pass as I also need time to decompress before my trip to Madrid.

I need suggestions for a place in Madrid reachable from Chamartin station but also convenient to the airport as I have an early flight on the 26th

I’m actually starting to plan my trip back home…

Thanks, once again, for all the support, suggestions and feedback!
Pulpo in Melide is a must!

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Hospedería San Martin Pinario, reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu Must email or call for special cheap pilgrim rooms. Not available on regular booking site. The pilgrim rooms are on the fourth floor and haven’t been remodeled for many years, but are more than adequate with bath and towel!! Private single room last time I was there was 23€.

Lots of places to stay. I also like Costa Vela. Located very close to cathedral but on a quiet street away from the hordes and noise. They have a nice cafe that extends out to a lovely garden.

If the Hospedaria is full, somewhere quiet and cheap but close to the centre is Seminario Menor. They have small single rooms, shared bathroom, for 25 euros. Lots of greenery around. It's less than 20 minutes walk from the cathedral by the Rua San Pedro (there's a shorter steeper route, but may not suit you).

Lots of places to stay. I also like Costa Vela. Located very close to cathedral but on a quiet street away from the hordes and noise. They have a nice cafe that extends out to a lovely garden.
Costa Vella, but yes, great tip as far as the garden and cafe. It's really a hidden gem and an oasis of peace in the centre of Santiago. I try to go there for breakfast or a drink every time I'm in Santiago.

Hector, been reading your adventures over the last weeks. You are an inspiration, and still have energy to write an entry and replies every day.You inspired me to walk the Frances in next couple of years. ( Porto to SDC last year )
You are almost there, one foot in front of the other, SDC here you come.
To receive your Compostella , they are well organised and it flows nicely, from memory you can organize a qr code on line which makes it even more straight forwarward.
Safe travels, Pien

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I also like Costa Vella. Located very close to cathedral but on a quiet street away from the hordes and noise. They have a nice cafe that extends out to a lovely garden.
I love Costa Vella's cafe. It's beautiful and its gardens feel like a hidden private oasis. I always make sure I go there for breakfast every time I am in Santiago...shhh🤫, it's my little secret.😉

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Pulpo in Melide is a must!
Not everyone's cup of tea. I think (at the risk of being sacrilegious 🙃) it's disgusting. But Melide has a fabulous pasteleria in the center of town opposite the little park.

If Melide is too full, @HBS60, Albergue El Aleman is just before Boente, the next pueblo along.

Not everyone's cup of tea. I think (at the risk of being sacrilegious 🙃) it's disgusting. But Melide has a fabulous pasteleria in the center of town opposite the little park.

If Melide is too full, @HBS60, Albergue El Aleman is just before Boente, the next pueblo along.
If it swims I don’t want it, one of my many quirks. Like I say in Spanish, “nada que nade” I just spent the last couple hours booking albergues until Saturday night, including Melide, which is a bit longer walk than I want because the only place I found before that was Ventas de Narón, 26 Km. The rest of the distances are around 20 Km give or take a couple, and the last walk will be from Lacavolla, just 10 Km away, I might make it to Santiago around noon on Sunday!

Now I need to work on my Santiago stay, I hope taking care of this now will remove a lot of the “bed race” stress. My albergue las night was packed and this morning it was a horde of “grinos” (peregrinos, turigrinos, and a few bicigrinos). It might actually be a way of transitioning back to “real life”.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I love Costa Vella's cafe. It's beautiful and its gardens feel like a hidden private oasis. I always make sure I go there for breakfast every time I am in Santiago...shhh🤫, it's my little secret.😉
I almost always go to Costa Vella’s terrace each day I am in Santiago. Ask for a piece of the large cream cheese pie. They run out quickly

FB post for the Day:
Sarria to A Pena, 9.4 Miles, 15.1 Km

The end is near, but I still have some walking to do. As I’ve been told, in Sarria the Camino gets very busy. Leaving town felt like Pilgrim rush hour. Instinctively I tried to synchronize my walking with that of others, but then reminded myself to just take it easy, as today I was planning a short walk.

I felt emotional as I was walking out of Sarria, as I started to reminisce about the early days of my pilgrimage and how different I feel now, comparing my current state with the many young people, fresh and enthusiastic as they began their walk, remembering how idealistic I was when I started. I also missed the many people I met in the route.

I managed to get breakfast at a nice albergue bar just a couple kilometers from Sarria, and noticed how crowded it was. This was true of every town restaurant I found, they were all crowded. A happy moment was when once again I ran into a Pilgrim I met in Trabadelo, as he was leaving a bathroom and I was entering it, but then he was gone. Who knows who I will see again in the road to Santiago!

The weather had been gorgeous, sunny with cool temperatures. The route went through countryside, forests, little villages, hills, valleys, and I got to see farm life up close, with plenty of cows, goats, eith the pungent smell permeating the atmosphere.

We got across a few towns, getting sense of Galician farm life, seeing the horreos (rectangular elevated structures which as I understand, are used to store grain while keeping out the mice and rats).

The highlight of the day was reaching the 100 Km mark, which is also where my albergue for tonight is located. I got settled in, and I started the chore of finding an albergue for tomorrow night…but every place I called was booked.

I started to panic, but I was able to finally book through booking.com, although not necessarily on the places I wanted. I decided to try booking all the way to Santiago, and I managed to book places within a reasonable distance from each other, except for one segment from a place called Ventas de Narón to Melide, 26.2 Km, a bit longer than I would like. On the other hand, the very last leg to Santiago will be only 10 Km, and I expect to arrive to Santiago on Sunday, September 22, just as Autumn begins, and hopefully a new season in my life.

I decided to spend my afternoon out the logistics of lodging in Santiago, then lodging in Madrid prior to my return home. By doing all of this now, I can now relax and enjoy what’s left of my pilgrimage without these details getting in the way causing stress.

I look forward to wrapping up my Camino as relaxed as possible, and I hope I can find a way to finish it in a meaningful way. Taking the bus trip to Fistere would be great, but I think the weather may not cooperate, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Did I just walk across Spain? It seems like a dream, but it’s reality…

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/LwJeiWVDd5KZX72F/?mibextid=WC7FNe

FB post for the Day:
Sarria to A Pena, 9.4 Miles, 15.1 Km

The end is near, but I still have some walking to do. As I’ve been told, in Sarria the Camino gets very busy. Leaving town felt like Pilgrim rush hour. Instinctively I tried to synchronize my walking with that of others, but then reminded myself to just take it easy, as today I was planning a short walk.

I felt emotional as I was walking out of Sarria, as I started to reminisce about the early days of my pilgrimage and how different I feel now, comparing my current state with the many young people, fresh and enthusiastic as they began their walk, remembering how idealistic I was when I started. I also missed the many people I met in the route.

I managed to get breakfast at a nice albergue bar just a couple kilometers from Sarria, and noticed how crowded it was. This was true of every town restaurant I found, they were all crowded. A happy moment was when once again I ran into a Pilgrim I met in Trabadelo, as he was leaving a bathroom and I was entering it, but then he was gone. Who knows who I will see again in the road to Santiago!

The weather had been gorgeous, sunny with cool temperatures. The route went through countryside, forests, little villages, hills, valleys, and I got to see farm life up close, with plenty of cows, goats, eith the pungent smell permeating the atmosphere.

We got across a few towns, getting sense of Galician farm life, seeing the horreos (rectangular elevated structures which as I understand, are used to store grain while keeping out the mice and rats).

The highlight of the day was reaching the 100 Km mark, which is also where my albergue for tonight is located. I got settled in, and I started the chore of finding an albergue for tomorrow night…but every place I called was booked.

I started to panic, but I was able to finally book through booking.com, although not necessarily on the places I wanted. I decided to try booking all the way to Santiago, and I managed to book places within a reasonable distance from each other, except for one segment from a place called Ventas de Narón to Melide, 26.2 Km, a bit longer than I would like. On the other hand, the very last leg to Santiago will be only 10 Km, and I expect to arrive to Santiago on Sunday, September 22, just as Autumn begins, and hopefully a new season in my life.

I decided to spend my afternoon out the logistics of lodging in Santiago, then lodging in Madrid prior to my return home. By doing all of this now, I can now relax and enjoy what’s left of my pilgrimage without these details getting in the way causing stress.

I look forward to wrapping up my Camino as relaxed as possible, and I hope I can find a way to finish it in a meaningful way. Taking the bus trip to Fistere would be great, but I think the weather may not cooperate, but I’m sure I’ll figure something out.

Did I just walk across Spain? It seems like a dream, but it’s reality…

FB link for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/LwJeiWVDd5KZX72F/?mibextid=WC7FNe
Hi Héctor
The bus station is a15-20min walk from Cathedral square. The buses run all day there and back to finisterre 7euros each way. The walk from the town is 3km to the lighthouse up a steady incline nothing too strenuous. It’s invigorating looking out from the rocks at the Atlantic Ocean. The shuttle express takes 90mins and standard bus takes over 2hours. Do it Héctor even if you can’t walk taxi to the light house. I walked 4 Camino and didn’t make the journey until my last one. Cut bruised fractured shoulder I pushed myself through the pain barrier to walk there and back. I filled up standing in front of the lighthouse with tears in my eyes, I had finally finished my Camino and boy did I feel good.
I’m having some surgery this year hence not walking but I’m coming back next year to walk the Via de la plata which will be my final swan song. I will think of your journey and struggles next year, well done Héctor. Keith

Hospedería San Martin Pinario, reservas@sanmartinpinario.eu Must email or call for special cheap pilgrim rooms. Not available on regular booking site. The pilgrim rooms are on the fourth floor and haven’t been remodeled for many years, but are more than adequate with bath and towel!! Private single room last time I was there was 23€.

I emailed them and they responded they have no availability. I couldn’t book anything at Costs Vella, either. I was able to find a place at the Albergue La Estación, which is great as it’s close to the train and bus stations

The bus station is a15-20min walk from Cathedral square. The buses run all day there and back to finisterre 7euros
For a one day visit, I would recommend one of the day tours that will take you to Finisterre, Muxía and several other spots that you normally wouldn't see if you walk. There are always people around the Plaza Obradoiro with flyers and information.

I have walked to Finisterre and Muxía, taken the regular bus there and back (but not in one day), and did this bus tour once. If I had only one day and was alone, I would choose the tour.

I prefer to end in Muxia. It is a quieter, less touristy vibe and sitting at the church watching the waves is a wonderful way to decompress. Bela Muxia is my go to for lodging, but there's lots of other nice places, too.

Hi Héctor
The bus station is a15-20min walk from Cathedral square. The buses run all day there and back to finisterre 7euros each way. The walk from the town is 3km to the lighthouse up a steady incline nothing too strenuous. It’s invigorating looking out from the rocks at the Atlantic Ocean. The shuttle express takes 90mins and standard bus takes over 2hours. Do it Héctor even if you can’t walk taxi to the light house. I walked 4 Camino and didn’t make the journey until my last one. Cut bruised fractured shoulder I pushed myself through the pain barrier to walk there and back. I filled up standing in front of the lighthouse with tears in my eyes, I had finally finished my Camino and boy did I feel good.
I’m having some surgery this year hence not walking but I’m coming back next year to walk the Via de la plata which will be my final swan song. I will think of your journey and struggles next year, well done Héctor. Keith
Is it worth it if it’s raining/bad weather/fog?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is it worth it if it’s raining/bad weather/fog?
I’ve been at the lighthouse in Finisterre probably a dozen times, and have seen two good sunsets. Maybe I’m unlucky but that’s been my experience. I would not go there if it was a serious rainstorm, but being there in fog, drizzle, etc didn’t take away from the fact that I was sitting quietly looking out over the ocean contemplating what was coming to an end.

On the other hand, I would definitely go to the rocks in Muxia in a steady rain, unless there were lightening warnings. The drama of the crashing rocks is intensified and it is pretty awesome.

Buen camino, Héctor!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The crashing waves at Muxia on the huge rocks I would think are quite special in any weather. Two different springs for me.
View attachment 177768
View attachment 177769

When I took the tour in Muxia this past spring, the tour guide pointed out a large rock on the shore that had a specific legend attached to it. He said that if you were without sin and stepped on the rock, it would move. Despite how much I jumped up and down, the rock would not budge!! 😜

When I took the tour in Muxia this past spring, the tour guide pointed out a large rock on the shore that had a specific legend attached to it. He said that if you were without sin and stepped on the rock, it would move. Despite how much I jumped up and down, the rock would not budge!! 😜
Maybe it was the wrong rock

As Billy Joel sang, "I'd rather laugh with the sinners, than cry with the saints. The sinners are much more fun"......😁

Although you are cutting back on distance you are still at the 70% walking rate and no mention of feet 🦶 - looking good
I keep forgetting to mention that I haven’t had blisters since León, probably because of the new shoes and a cream I got at a León pharmacy.
I also keep forgetting to ask about the google man you keep mentioning and the percentage calculations. Is this using Google maps?

google man you keep mentioning and the percentage calculations. Is this using Google maps?
Yes it is just the "Directions" (satnav) in Google Maps eg for today
satnavsarria1.png
It says 3h 36m for walking man and only reason I know it gets modified for up/down is that the reverse of this walk is 14 minutes less - like one does not TALK to Google as such.

So I simply divide that time over your time in Relive and it came to 69% today from memory.

FB post for the day:
From A Pena to Ventas de Narón, 13.8 miles, 22.2 Km

I set out as usual, managed to have coffee and some cupcakes, thinking that since there were a couple of towns down the road which were listed as having services, I would be able to find something more substantial…but I forgot that it’s Wednesday, which in many towns is “rest day” and everything is closed.

Then again, so many of these towns look like ghost towns, I can’t see any life in them. Since I had eaten something, I was doing well and watched a glorious full moon as it was setting. Too bad it’s so hard for me to capture in my iPhone what I actually saw.

It was a pleasant morning, without the hordes of pilgrims, just the usual trickle. I went through several stone-lined corridor paths, that led me through lifeless towns, corn fields, next to cows and the occasional dog.

I stumbled upon a gift shop that had coffee, enjoyed looking at the trinkets before moving on. I was sure that a bigger town like Portomarín would have something. The cafeteria I found had just croissants and toast, not much else, but it was better han nothing.

I went on my walk, with the terrain getting hillier as the day was getting warmer. A Dutch man who was at my Albergue last night caught up with me. He actually gave me the spare ham and cheese sandwich he had ordered at a different place that I found. I tried to decline it but he was insistent. We started talking about history as the Netherlands and Spain have had their share of conflicts in the past. The conversation helped take the mind off the heat and the progressively difficult terrain, which was getting steeper, but eventually leveled off. He was staying a couple of towns before my destination for today, so we parted company.

I was exhausted by the steep hills, but tomorrows walk should be easier because there’s a lot of downhill. I finally got to my albergue, unpacked, showered, and was getting settled in when I got a text alert. My credit card as been hacked. I called the card and went over the fraudulent charges, so it was decided to cancel it and get new one, which should take about a week. Arrgh…

It’s taken care of, but it certainly added stress I didn’t need. But it should be all right. Tomorrow will be another day. I sat down for a nice meal at the Albergue and ordered a ham and cheese sandwich to take with me for tomorrow. My goal is to reach Mélide, 26 Km away so I need to have a full stomach to do that.

I hope that I make it to Melide but it might be later than I want, but the trade off is shorter days from then on. Hopefully, tomorrow will be my last long day.

Link to FB post for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/ThCyzdP8MScbh6QR/?mibextid=WC7FNe

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
FB post for the day:
From A Pena to Ventas de Narón, 13.8 miles, 22.2 Km

I set out as usual, managed to have coffee and some cupcakes, thinking that since there were a couple of towns down the road which were listed as having services, I would be able to find something more substantial…but I forgot that it’s Wednesday, which in many towns is “rest day” and everything is closed.

Then again, so many of these towns look like ghost towns, I can’t see any life in them. Since I had eaten something, I was doing well and watched a glorious full moon as it was setting. Too bad it’s so hard for me to capture in my iPhone what I actually saw.

It was a pleasant morning, without the hordes of pilgrims, just the usual trickle. I went through several stone-lined corridor paths, that led me through lifeless towns, corn fields, next to cows and the occasional dog.

I stumbled upon a gift shop that had coffee, enjoyed looking at the trinkets before moving on. I was sure that a bigger town like Portomarín would have something. The cafeteria I found had just croissants and toast, not much else, but it was better han nothing.

I went on my walk, with the terrain getting hillier as the day was getting warmer. A Dutch man who was at my Albergue last night caught up with me. He actually gave me the spare ham and cheese sandwich he had ordered at a different place that I found. I tried to decline it but he was insistent. We started talking about history as the Netherlands and Spain have had their share of conflicts in the past. The conversation helped take the mind off the heat and the progressively difficult terrain, which was getting steeper, but eventually leveled off. He was staying a couple of towns before my destination for today, so we parted company.

I was exhausted by the steep hills, but tomorrows walk should be easier because there’s a lot of downhill. I finally got to my albergue, unpacked, showered, and was getting settled in when I got a text alert. My credit card as been hacked. I called the card and went over the fraudulent charges, so it was decided to cancel it and get new one, which should take about a week. Arrgh…

It’s taken care of, but it certainly added stress I didn’t need. But it should be all right. Tomorrow will be another day. I sat down for a nice meal at the Albergue and ordered a ham and cheese sandwich to take with me for tomorrow. My goal is to reach Mélide, 26 Km away so I need to have a full stomach to do that.

I hope that I make it to Melide but it might be later than I want, but the trade off is shorter days from then on. Hopefully, tomorrow will be my last long day.

Link to FB post for pics: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/ThCyzdP8MScbh6QR/?mibextid=WC7FNe
My card has also been hacked in Spain so I feel your pain and my husband's was hacked this summer in Canada. Really a hassle when you are on the road!

In the morning there should be places open once you get to Palas de Rei to eat. If you are at Santa Cruz/ Ventas de Narron, there isn't too much so if you can get breakfast or a sandwich to take along, I would do that.

Maybe it was the wrong rock
I'm thinking the same. The "right" rock also has a sword sticking out of it.....:rolleyes:

Yes it is just the "Directions" (satnav) in Google Maps eg for today
View attachment 177780
It says 3h 36m for walking man and only reason I know it gets modified for up/down is that the reverse of this walk is 14 minutes less - like one does not TALK to Google as such.

So I simply divide that time over your time in Relive and it came to 69% today from memory.
Are you SURE though that the route indicated is "Camino"? IIRC I did it couple of times paying a good attention which way it will take me and quite a number of times it was right along the highway or any like-road, not the "Camino trail"

Most read last week in this forum

Apparently the annual "it's too crowded" rending of garments got cancelled.
I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
Hi, We walked the Camino de Santiago for the first time in May & June this year, and absolutely loved it. We plan on walking the first week again in October (with a view to going back later next...
Hello! I want to do the entire route on late october and november. My only concern is whether there are too few people. I certainly want to be with myself (I'm a loner) but also want to meet...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back