Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Héctor Walked His Way-Successfully!

HBS60

Time of past OR future Camino
August 2024 (planned)
Lavacolla to Santiago de Compostela: 8.8 miles, 14.1 Km*

* longer than expected because of trying to find the Monte do Gozo statues in the fog.

Well, I did it! I walked EVERY SINGLE STEP from St Jean Pied-De-Port to Santiago de Compostela in 6 weeks, starting on Sunday, August 11, ending on Sunday, September 22, the last day of summer and the first day of fall, hopefully also the first day for a new season in my life.

My last day in the Camino started ordinarily enough, waking up, applying antichafing cream to my feet to prevent blisters, leaving my big backpack to be picked up for transport. Although sleepy, I made a speaking video trying to collect my thoughts.

The lady at the hotel bar told me last night that the bar would open at 6 AM and I was happy about the prospect of coffee and a tortilla to get me started. Only problem was that the kitchen wouldn’t open until 8 PM…at least I was able to get coffee and a donut. I went to the gas station across the street and they also had junk food. At least I knew my walk today wouldn’t be long.

I set out and other than a fairly steep uphill, it was fairly easy terrain. The fog reminded me of my day walking from Orisson to Roncesvalles, how ethereal but challenging it was back then. It felt like an appropriate bookend to my Camino. I felt confident walking even if I was alone, felt more solid and toughened.

I found a town with an open bar, but no tortilla, meat or protein, so I had a Tarta de Santiago (almond cake) plus coffee, and resumed walking. It wasn’t a pretty walk, as we were on a grimy, industrial area, and the fog helped conceal the ugliness. I was concerned that the fog would hamper the view from Monte Do Gozo, a spot where two pilgrim statues are able to see the Santiago Cathedral from a distance, after a long walk.

Eventually I arrived at Monte do Gozo, and for the life of me I couldn’t find the statues. At this point a Spaniard from Tenerife (Canary Islands) was walking by, and we tried to find the statues, while engaging in conversation. Eventually, after much searching and asking someone that seemed to be in a tour group, we found them. Although we couldn’t see Santiago because of the fog, we took selfies with the statues.

We hung around, talking animately, trying to find our way back to the trail. We finally found it, and as we were entering the outskirts of Santiago, we stopped at a place to have something to eat. I had my first churros con chocolate I’ve had dinner e being in Spain (I can’t remember what he had).

We resumed our walk, and it was soon obvious we were getting close. After a wrong turn, we knew to follow the crowd, and as we were almost there, the cathedral bells started chiming loudly, and I heard the bagpiper greeting us.

I totally lost it in the best way possible.

I had arrived

I actually walked the entire distance from SJPDP to SDC, every single step of the way. The sounds of the bagpipe plus the cathedral bells is something I’ll never forget, I get goosebumps thinking about it.

It was almost noon, and we tried to get to the Pilgrim mass, but the line was huge, so after a while we decided to forget it and find the pilgrim office to get our Compostelas certifying that we’ve done the Camino. As we are searching, a man called Luca from Italy, whom I met in Trabadelo, spots me, comes to me and gave me a wonderful hug. It was a great joyful moment.

My Tenerife friend and I went on to the Pilgrims office, got our Compostelas, and then we had lunch. I had to find my Albergue which unfortunately is 1.6 Km away by the train station. He accompanied me for part of the way then bid goodbye as he had to find his albergue.

I’m now settled in, doing laundry, will head to downtown later, trying to think what I’ll do for the next couple of days. I have stuff to pick up that I brought but didn’t need for my walk, and I depending on the weather I’ll try to get a bus trip to Fisterre and Muxía on the coast.

I have already made arrangements for my train trip to Madrid, an overnight stay, and then my flight home. I hope for the next two days I get to savor the experience I just lived.

I’m extremely grateful for all the encouragement and support I’ve got as I’ve been sharing my journey. It was very difficult but it helped so much that I knew I had so many people rooting for me.

Thanks for staying with me!

FB link with pics and videos: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/naaTvRqHhv5MRsoA/?mibextid=WC7FNe

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Lavacolla to Santiago de Compostela: 8.8 miles, 14.1 Km*

* longer than expected because of trying to find the Monte do Gozo statues in the fog.

Well, I did it! I walked EVERY SINGLE STEP from St Jean Pied-De-Port to Santiago de Compostela in 6 weeks, starting on Sunday, August 11, ending on Sunday, September 22, the last day of summer and the first day of fall, hopefully also the first day for a new season in my life.

My last day in the Camino started ordinarily enough, waking up, applying antichafing cream to my feet to prevent blisters, leaving my big backpack to be picked up for transport. Although sleepy, I made a speaking video trying to collect my thoughts.

The lady at the hotel bar told me last night that the bar would open at 6 AM and I was happy about the prospect of coffee and a tortilla to get me started. Only problem was that the kitchen wouldn’t open until 8 PM…at least I was able to get coffee and a donut. I went to the gas station across the street and they also had junk food. At least I knew my walk today wouldn’t be long.

I set out and other than a fairly steep uphill, it was fairly easy terrain. The fog reminded me of my day walking from Orisson to Roncesvalles, how ethereal but challenging it was back then. It felt like an appropriate bookend to my Camino. I felt confident walking even if I was alone, felt more solid and toughened.

I found a town with an open bar, but no tortilla, meat or protein, so I had a Tarta de Santiago (almond cake) plus coffee, and resumed walking. It wasn’t a pretty walk, as we were on a grimy, industrial area, and the fog helped conceal the ugliness. I was concerned that the fog would hamper the view from Monte Do Gozo, a spot where two pilgrim statues are able to see the Santiago Cathedral from a distance, after a long walk.

Eventually I arrived at Monte do Gozo, and for the life of me I couldn’t find the statues. At this point a Spaniard from Tenerife (Canary Islands) was walking by, and we tried to find the statues, while engaging in conversation. Eventually, after much searching and asking someone that seemed to be in a tour group, we found them. Although we couldn’t see Santiago because of the fog, we took selfies with the statues.

We hung around, talking animately, trying to find our way back to the trail. We finally found it, and as we were entering the outskirts of Santiago, we stopped at a place to have something to eat. I had my first churros con chocolate I’ve had dinner e being in Spain (I can’t remember what he had).

We resumed our walk, and it was soon obvious we were getting close. After a wrong turn, we knew to follow the crowd, and as we were almost there, the cathedral bells started chiming loudly, and I heard the bagpiper greeting us.

I totally lost it in the best way possible.

I had arrived

I actually walked the entire distance from SJPDP to SDC, every single step of the way. The sounds of the bagpipe plus the cathedral bells is something I’ll never forget, I get goosebumps thinking about it.

It was almost noon, and we tried to get to the Pilgrim mass, but the line was huge, so after a while we decided to forget it and find the pilgrim office to get our Compostelas certifying that we’ve done the Camino. As we are searching, a man called Luca from Italy, whom I met in Trabadelo, spots me, comes to me and gave me a wonderful hug. It was a great joyful moment.

My Tenerife friend and I went on to the Pilgrims office, got our Compostelas, and then we had lunch. I had to find my Albergue which unfortunately is 1.6 Km away by the train station. He accompanied me for part of the way then bid goodbye as he had to find his albergue.

I’m now settled in, doing laundry, will head to downtown later, trying to think what I’ll do for the next couple of days. I have stuff to pick up that I brought but didn’t need for my walk, and I depending on the weather I’ll try to get a bus trip to Fisterre and Muxía on the coast.

I have already made arrangements for my train trip to Madrid, an overnight stay, and then my flight home. I hope for the next two days I get to savor the experience I just lived.

I’m extremely grateful for all the encouragement and support I’ve got as I’ve been sharing my journey. It was very difficult but it helped so much that I knew I had so many people rooting for me.

Thanks for staying with me!

FB link with pics and videos: https://www.facebook.com/share/p/naaTvRqHhv5MRsoA/?mibextid=WC7FNe
I forgot to copy and paste the URL from my FB, fixed now.

Most read last week in this forum

I hope this is the final stretch! What a day! I’m bone tired and had trouble staying awake writing this, so I hope I’m writing clearly… La Faba to Triacastela, 17.1 miles,27.5 Km. Last night...
Apologies if this isn't the right thread, but I searched the forum and only saw threads about Portugal. I was googling for info about the fires, and Google Maps showed one in Spain. No idea how...
Anyone struggling to find a place in Los arcos 6 km beyond is albergue sansol oasis.I can highly recommend excellent host and food
I heard it mentioned that rather than walking through the industrial section of Leon it was possible to take a bus out of the city....but where to?
Hi do any of my pergrino friends have an Amazon watch charger with them I could use to charge my watch up in burgos on the 20th of september.buen camino
UPDATE: Thanks to all who gave practical advice. I contacted Jacotrans, and they said that they would transport for the price of a taxi, i.e. €40 for up to four bags per stage. Now I'm curious to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back