• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Half a wild boar

Bedspring

Time of past OR future Camino
June 2024
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed.
It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some people.
I mentioned at the next bar/albergue I came to 1km on, but they had no interest, and said the Guardia Civil would deal with it. TBH they made me feel odd for mentioning it, but I would have thought they would have a vested interest in the Camino being a pleasant place

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
@Bedspring, where was this? It’s an odd time of year to be hunting Boar and very odd to waste meat.

An aside, but the majority of the people who live along the Camino routes have little interest and certainly no vested interest in the Camino being “a pleasant place”. At best it provides some seasonal work in the hospitality sector but for many they just see their local taxes being spent on looking after foreigners who demand much and spend little.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Although it is distressing to see and come across, as has previously been stated, it is the circle of life. Disposal will eventually take place through Carrion creatures who feed on the carcass of dead creatures in much the same way that "road kill" is disposed of in other countries.
It can be a culture shock when encountered. In Tibet Sky burials operate on this principle.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Depending on where you are in Spain and the level of over population of wild boar this time of year is open season in many areas. Dressing your kill is vital if you intend to eat it. Leaving it on a busy path wouldn’t be what most hunters would do. Depositing it in the brush for foxes etc to take care of would be more usual. Hunting jabali in rural Spain is definitely not deer stalking in the highlands!

It’s probably not the most optimal time of year to hunt boar, but perfectly legal. Most hunters would probably hunt boar in the late fall months. However, due to the large amount of damage boars do to land and particularly land that is farmed, locals need to cull some of the every growing numbers of this animal. Although boar is quite delicious and regularly served in Spain, it is too bad that the entire animal wasn’t harvested instead of just the large hind quarters. And remember, although we think of this as the Camino, locals would not necessarily be concerned about the sensitivities of hikers passing by and seeing the carcass. In the wild the remains would most likely not last very long. Perhaps just unfortunate timing on your part.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Life in the country. Because they are so prolific wild boar populations can easily reach nuisance levels. It's possible that an odd one here or there is taken out of season, but it makes not even a dent on their populations. I'm sure passing pilgrims wasn't on the minds of whomever killed the boar. Not really anything the police can do about it. Probably nothing of any evidentiary value on the carcass that would lead to a violator. Best just to move on and let the vultures and other clean up crew have a feast.

Although it is distressing to see and come across, as has previously been stated, it is the circle of life. Disposal will eventually take place through Carrion creatures who feed on the carcass of dead creatures in much the same way that "road kill" is disposed of in other countries.
It can be a culture shock when encountered. In Tibet Sky burials operate on this principle.
This boar was not killed by licence hunters.I live in south west France and when a boar is shot we remove the whole skin and after a day or so it is quartered.This was done by poachers who could not carry the whole carcass. Most boar about 60/80kilo take some time to butcher properly. Sorry for the people who came across the carcass,makes hunting look very bad.The season in France is from 1st June to end of march.

I have yet to see a boar, living or dead, but have seen their hoove prints many times on certain Camino routes, mostly in Italy with all the rooting around and digging for food they do. We met men hunting for boar in Italy on the Via Francigena in October, 2022.

I learned something new and interesting today from @Bristle Boy's post #4. I had to google "Carrion" creatures and "Tibet Sky" burials as I'd never heard of either. Gruesome practices indeed in very different cultures, but fascinating to learn about them.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Maybe someone left an offering for the

Lammergeier​

I saw one flying above me when hiking the GR 11 in the Spanish Pyrenees. They are easy to identify with their size and diamond shaped tail, but pretty rare sightings. I once heard that there is or was a feeding program for them to assist in their survival.

The OP did not say where he made his observation. I guess that it was in Castilla y Leon? They allow the hunt of wild boar right now: Desde el 1 de abril hasta el primer domingo de agosto y desde el primer domingo de septiembre hasta el cuarto sábado de septiembre únicamente a rececho y aguardo/espera - so individual hunt but not by battue. Battue is allowed from October to February.

I, too, find it very odd that the carcass was left in the place and form described. Perhaps someone from Spain with knowledge of common practice in this Spanish region can shed some light on this? In the absence of such information I can also only think of poachers who did this.

Last edited:
This boar was not killed by licence hunters.I live in south west France and when a boar is shot we remove the whole skin and after a day or so it is quartered.This was done by poachers who could not carry the whole carcass. Most boar about 60/80kilo take some time to butcher properly. Sorry for the people who came across the carcass,makes hunting look very bad.The season in France is from 1st June to end of march.
But this was not in France. While off putting to some it was not illegal. Given the sheer numbers of boar in many areas and the damage to crops they cause it’s not surprising that someone would see this as pest control and take the choicest cuts while leaving the rest as carrion. Boar hunting in rural Spain as opposed to the large fincas and cotos de caza is not a refined ritual as in many other European countries. It often has more to do with population control and less with “sport”.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you for your reply to my post.
I have been left bemused and wondering why? 🤔
Perhaps it is a language thing.
If you read again my post you might understand my confusion.
There are times when reading the forum is like a visit to the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:
But are you all so familiar with what is usual in Castilla y Leon and in Galicia as to killing of wild boars and current policy?

I understand that the wild boar population is the same kind of problem in regions of Spain as it is in regions of France and Germany for example. Still, hunting is regulated and licensed. Not everybody is allowed to just shoot a wild boar. I was surprised to read that there are actually illegal poachers of wild animals including wild boar in Germany for example. Who would have thought so … in Bavaria, legal hunting of wild boar apparently does not manage to fulfil the legal quotas that are allowed every year. So it would be interesting to learn more about the actual situation in Spain.

But are you all so familiar with what is usual in Castilla y Leon and in Galicia as to killing of wild boars and current policy?

I understand that the wild boar population is the same kind of problem in regions of Spain as it is in regions of France and Germany for example. Still, hunting is regulated and licensed. Not everybody is allowed to just shoot a wild boar. I was surprised to read that there are actually illegal poachers of wild animals including wild boar in Germany for example. Who would have thought so … in Bavaria, legal hunting of wild boar apparently does not manage to fulfil the legal quotas that are allowed every year. So it would be interesting to learn more about the actual situation in Spain.
In Castilla y Leon
Período especial jabalí: en toda la región, del 22 de febrero al 7 de octubre, en esperas o aguardos en horario nocturno o diurno para reducir sus poblaciones.
Special wild boar period: throughout the region, from February 22 to October 7, hides or hides at night or during the day to reduce their population.

In Galicia there is a provision for taking jabali while stalking on designated lands but on common land this is not jabali season.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Bedspring, where was this? It’s an odd time of year to be hunting Boar and very odd to waste meat.

An aside, but the majority of the people who live along the Camino routes have little interest and certainly no vested interest in the Camino being “a pleasant place”. At best it provides some seasonal work in the hospitality sector but for many they just see their local taxes being spent on looking after foreigners who demand much and spend little.
They’re not Americans, are they?😂

I consider many of the replies to this thread lack empathy for the feelings of fellow Pilgrims who may have seen this.
As I started my working life as a butcher it did not trouble me, and I understand the circle of life, but I have also walked with several people who are vegetarian, and this could have been upsetting for them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed.
It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some people.
I mentioned at the next bar/albergue I came to 1km on, but they had no interest, and said the Guardia Civil would deal with it. TBH they made me feel odd for mentioning it, but I would have thought they would have a vested interest in the Camino being a pleasant place
Remember, in a way, each of us is so insignificant that we come close to not existing--from a cosmos perspective.
And speaking of perspective, everyone has a perspective so, again, the value itself of perspective is also almost not-existant. Perception is what has value--a huge difference.
Finally, pilgrims that are not from Spain are visitors, guests, foreigners, almost aliens in a sense. As such, since one is a guest, respect and honor the host, especially noting that everyone has their faults and frailties.
And finally, finally (will this guy ever stop), no one walking by that spot hardly can say anything considering how animals are generally processed and treated for human consumption and how millions upon millions of dogs and cats and other pets are inhumane treated and even tortured.
Perhaps what is being said is that there is a dark side of life and every single human being on earth has a dark side. This slaughtered on the side of the world is, at a minimum, inconsequential. There are far better things to reflect on and share and, besides, our early ancestors would leave on the ground what could not be used although certain some of what could be used was left but so what.
Sorry, just got up and haven't had my coffee with ghee and cream. Plus, by writing this missive, I illustrate some of my many faults.

I consider many of the replies to this thread lack empathy for the feelings of fellow Pilgrims who may have seen this.
As I started my working life as a butcher it did not trouble me, and I understand the circle of life, but I have also walked with several people who are vegetarian, and this could have been upsetting for them.

Camino is like Life : the good , the bad and the ugly.
If we want predictability and certainties we should head to Disneyland or an amusement park ( though that is my idea of hell ).

Last edited:
I very much doubt that it is normal accepted practice in Spain to leave half a boar on a walking path, as described. There are laws and customs around hunting, intended to control these activities so they are done safety and respectfully to the local culture. Reporting it at the next bar was reasonable, although I wouldn't expect them to rush out to clean it up themselves. They indicated that the Guardia Civil would be the responsible authority. Perhaps reporting it directly to Alert Cops would have made sense.

If I encountered something like this in my own country, I might report it to the local police, as it seems like a case of poaching and very unpleasant littering. Nobody - locals or pilgrims - wants to step around bloody carcasses.

The fact that some Camino pilgrims were upset is not especially relevant, although we can be sympathetic with their discomfort.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I saw multiple dead boar carcasses or remains along parts of the VF in eastern France and the forested areas of Italy. If one hikes long enough in the right places, one will see more than one dead boar along the trail. There is a concerted effort in some forested areas to remove them entirely as they are a very destructive specie to native plants and some other wildlife. They are also vectors for swine flu and other diseases.
Note: I grew up in a family where hunting wild boar was part of life in my father's family (less so in ours, but still common). There were hunting seasons and tags/permits had to be acquired, but the family hunted mostly for food, not sport. This was in the mountains of the Western USA and we did not know that hunting boar (among other things) was anything but ordinary.

Fast forward some 60+ years: Walking the VF in early May, I encountered a wild sow and piglets in a forest just south of Viterbo (on the ancient medieval VF route over the Vico volcano). The encounter was brief, as I immediately stopped when I heard the squealing of piglets, located the approximate location/direction where it was, found a suitable large rock and nearby tree to scale if necessary, then located the sow moving slowly through the underbrush parallel to me about 40 feet away. We made brief eye contact when she came to a small clearing about 30 paces ahead of me and I made some noise and clanked my hiking poles on the rocks beside me, but otherwise did not move. I had unclipped my pack so I could shed it to climb the nearby tree if necessary, but the sow gave a snort and grunt and turned away and took the squealing piglets with her. When my adrenaline rush subsided, I resumed hiking, but was singing (loudly and badly) and making a lot of noise for the next couple of miles. I encountered a logging crew a couple of miles on down the trail and they told me to keep my eyes open because there was a lot of pig scat and other signs of activity in the area. I was quite relieved to get back to tarmac and farmland just a couple more miles down the trail.
Side note: we now live in Kona on the Big Island of Hawai'i for five months each year and there is unlimited hunting of boar there as the pigs have destroyed entire eco-systems on the island by uprooting native plants and trees in search of food. The local government there has declared boar an invasive species and allows/encourages an unlimited kill of them year around. Parts of Volcano National Park, near Kilauea, are entirely fenced for many miles along the perimeter to keep boar out of the Park, preserving vital nesting grounds for Nene, the State Bird (and also a threatened specie) as well as certain plant types that only grow in the area around Kilauea. Pigs are a problem everywhere when they become feral/wild.

Walking the VF in early May, I encountered a wild sow and piglets in a forest just south of Viterbo (on the ancient medieval VF route over the Vico volcano). The encounter was brief, as I immediately stopped when I heard the squealing of piglets, located the approximate location/direction where it was, found a suitable large rock and nearby tree to scale if necessary,
Yikes, I walked the Via F and was in Viterbo and never thought to worry about seeing boars, but apparently I should have.
Also, I apparently have been ignorant as I never knew we had wild boars in the US, even though I have hiked many trails in our National Parks out west, in and around the Rocky mountains. I guess my ignorance was bliss, as my phobia was always bears.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Well said.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

In France there are not quota's.But it is estimated that there are approx 80k boar. The other point which causes so much discussion is that when the chasse are called in to shoot the boar.It is the federation that pays compensation to the farmer.last years bill in occitanie was approx 300k Euros. If it wasn't for the chasse it would be like Texas,unable to control the numbers. Just a bit of information to understand the situation. Not to start a war.

Most read last week in this forum

Hey everyone… I just want to check with you about a very strange situation I just had… or there is an explanation for that… It was 11:15 am (10 min ago) and I was at La Portela de Vlacarce. Small...
Hi, this might be a strange question but just wandering how much cash should you bring with you on the Camino?? Thanks
As I walked today, I came across a Wild Boar that had been, shot, gutted and hind quarters removed. It seemed a shame it was left there right on the Camino as I am sure it would disturb some...
I much prefer ordering agua del grifo (tap water) both to save money and plastic, and everything else that goes into the production and delivery of bottled water. The last couple of nights in...
Fellow pilgrims. As an avid walker of various Caminos, I am always fascinated in the experiences of other pilgrims/tourists, and how their planning and experience on pilgrimage was shaped. As an...
Hey everyone, wondering what everyone does for cell service while on the Camino. I am coming from the US and last time I was in EU I got a free mobile plan for cheap but cancelling the plan was a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.