• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Guide books - are they worth it?

LeslieC

Time of past OR future Camino
2001 - SJPP to Santo Domingo
2025 - the rest!
Hola, todos.

When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue.

Now I'm looking to return to finish 'properly', I'm wondering if it's worth carrying any form of physical guide. We have Wise Pilgrim, Gronze, Mapy and probably several others I haven't found yet (to say nothing of the online guide on this very forum) available on our phones/tablets. Granted, this generally presupposes that internet access is available, but given that we've made arragements so that it is, is there any point carrying bits of dead tree along?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola, todos.

When I first attempted the Camino in 2001 I caried a (UK) CSJ guidebook. Light and very useful to find the right path and next albergue.

Now I'm looking to return to finish 'properly', I'm wondering if it's worth carrying any form of physical guide. We have Wise Pilgrim, Gronze, Mapy and probably several others I haven't found yet (to say nothing of the online guide on this very forum) available on our phones/tablets. Granted, this generally presupposes that internet access is available, but given that we've made arragements so that it is, is there any point carrying bits of dead tree along?
I like a physical copy and my piece of dead tree never needs charging. YMMV tho

each to their own, there is no definitive answer just subjectivity, I just happen to try and get away from screen time while on Camino

I don't carry a 'book' as such.
I use 2-3 different apps.
Though I do carry printouts of the Gronze stages on which to make notes.
Great tip from a Forum member!
(I now include the stage 'profile'.

I note accommodation contact details, if there are shops , places I want to see.

maps.jpg

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have posted before but as markie6 says each to their own; but i think apps and audio books on the phone do the job fine!
I use OSMAND+ for voice navigation (turn left right in 100metres etc) , as well as Wise Pilgrim for extra information on the route as i walk!
Gronze and Booking. com for places to stay!
For the French way i had Sandy Browns guide in audio/kindle!
I also have atm 23 novels to listen/read!

Added weight none! (regarding internet all work without it)

I do realize some people love a physical book; i listen to mine but whether reading from a book or tablet screen your still reading it!!!

If I use paper guides I use them in preparation at home. I don't take them ( anymore) with me, because I very rarely used them

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
If I use paper guides I use them in preparation at home. I don't take them ( anymore) with me, because I very rarely used them
No, guidebooks are no longer needed on most routes. The variety of apps available contain all the information you will need.
I still prefer to purchase a guidebook as I underline, circle, and scribble notes in the margins. I then take screenshots of the pages before I go. I refer to them each day and delete as I go along.

I love my guidebooks, and use them before and after walking. While walking I take the minimum pages I need, and like to have the map page for the day easily accessible in my top pocket. For me that's quicker and easier than pulling my phone out, unlocking it and finding the relevant page if I want to check where I am along a route or where the next refreshment point may be. I do also use gronze, mapy.cz, the Buen Camino app and booking.com as required, but not usually while out walking.
Having a visual representation of the route really gives me a good feel for where I'm going. For me a map is as important a record of a journey as my diary and photos.
Each to their own.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Certainly not necessary, but I like the hard copy, and what if something happens to your phone? I try to not use my phone except for taking pictures & posting my trip for my fam to follow.

I love my Brierly. He's smaller now than my early 2000's editions, but I can find everything I need quickly and, say what you will about his maps, I kind of like them. Nice to flip through after dinner and prep for the following day. And he doesn't even need to be recharged.

But I've got this iPhone 13 Pro. It takes fantastic pictures. I can communicate in various ways with people all over the world. You name it and there's an app for that. But it weighs almost a half-a-pound (and cable, charging block, & power bank), which isn't much but it's not nothing.

So is Brierly duplicative? Hmm. Maybe. I just can't decide. I'm leaning towards purchasing the latest edition, using him to prepare, and then leaving him on the shelf when I head out in April/May. Probably.

I love my guidebooks, and use them before and after walking. While walking I take the minimum pages I need, and like to have the map page for the day easily accessible in my top pocket. For me that's quicker and easier than pulling my phone out, unlocking it and finding the relevant page if I want to check where I am along a route or where the next refreshment point may be. I do also use gronze, mapy.cz, the Buen Camino app and booking.com as required, but not usually while out walking.
Having a visual representation of the route really gives me a good feel for where I'm going. For me a map is as important a record of a journey as my diary and photos.
Each to their own.
I am totally with BarbaraW on this. Smaller and lighter map guide books are available from Village to Village Press and Michelin. Wise Pilgrim and Rother walking guides are not much larger and heavier. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I think they are useful for reading ahead of time for information about distances, stages, local sights and history. I took pictures with my phone of the maps and a few things I thought would be interesting to see along the way and left the book at home.

I have used a combination of guide books and apps. While I have walked without a hard copy guide when I have walked shorter routes at short notice, I do prefer to have a physical guide book if I can get one. I do find that those that I have used often have information not available in the apps, and like some others, I enjoy reading the next day's entry prior to retiring for the night.

Last edited:
I am on the CF as we speak and I brought the Brierly but manly use Wise Pilgrim which has been great. That said, I have made most of my reservations in advance with lots of research, which works best for me. As I pass through the stages of my Camino, I actually rip out the pages I no longer need to lighten my load. Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hola, todos.

Hey Leslie, I’m 7 days into the Camino from Lisbon, and I tucked in the paper guide on the insistence of friends who have done a few, despite my protestations that it was too heavy. Have not even thought about looking at it so far, apps and the forum are fantastic sources of info, and often have more current info than the guide. Make sure your phone has enough charge, the days can be long. Good luck and Buen Camino.

I really like the idea of taking photos of the guidebook pages, and also Rob's idea of printing the Gronze maps. In the past I have carried the guidebooks but am rethinking for next time.

I like the maps-only version of Brierley. Has everything I needed, including symbols hinting at interesting things nearby, but letting me discover this "unprepared".
I used the 3 or so pages of printed albergue listing that the pilgrim office gave out in 2016, next time I think a phone app would do the same. But I do like the maps for overall view and to be able to write notes etc.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I use the popular apps, but always bring a guide book too. I make notes in it, like who I met each day (one forgets so quickly) notes about the food or where I slept, sometimes marking where my albergue is on the map or reading a few sentences about the history of the town I am in.
Ripping out all the pages that are not needed before going. Like what to pack, etc.

Hola, todos.

I have to confess that I have a 'stack' of guide books (as in hard copy)
But I don't actually read.
They seem to make the print too small these days :rolleyes:

I 'flick' through them, looking at the maps mainly.
I love the Brierley maps!
I often just carry his fold out covers with the map sections.

Though as mentioned above, I've started using the maps from Gronze, printed 3 to a page double sided on A4. Great for making notes on.

Really between Gronze and Google maps I don't really find I need anything else.
The Apps are great, but I find they are not as up to date or comprehensive as Gronze (appears to be)

Last year I found contact numbers out of date.
Planning my next Camino I've found accommodation options missing, etc etc.

Though note. Gronze only allows accommodation listings for those who agree to allow feedback. So even that site is not 'complete'

It must be very hard to keep these Apps up to date I appreciate.

Having said that, I have 4-5 apps on my phone.
Sometimes it's handy to consult more than one to find accommodation for example.

Though maybe I'm showing my age here.........
I find many of the apps overly complicated to use.
Hence I like the simplicity of just using the Gronze website.

€46,-
Me, too! They are colorful, have large enough print, include many details and are simple to understand.
None of the maps on all of my other guidebooks do not compare to the simplicity of Brierley's. His get an A+.🙂
View attachment 177572

I love them. All you need, and nothing you don't.
Most of the others are far too 'busy' or strange formats.

I take the Brierly.

I enjoy the mental exercise of being able to read a map, rather than having the moving dot on the screen tell me whether or not I’m going the right way.

Getting misplaced while walking is one of the ways I encounter locals, asking which way the Camino was from where I was standing. Also, helping fellow pilgrims find their way when puzzled starts many conversations.

Clearly, no pilgrims were harmed in the making of this meandering way of journeying.

I’m a big fan of Google maps and use it extensively when driving or walking around unfamiliar cities.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I walked with Wise pilgrim book. I used the ruler to track my starting point so that with seconds I could be at the right page. I loved the distances and how the places to stay are laid out. I found it much easier than brierly which was in paragraph format. On a typical day, we'd stop to get a drink or eat and then figure out how far to the next point and then determine where to stay. I kept the book in my pant pocket and the weight was negligible.

Bob

I debated between taking Bierley's and/or Beebe Bahrami's books on the French route. The online apps were good for route directions, but I liked Bierley's Mystical Path and Personal Reflection sections. I found Bahrami's book was very comprehensive in its information on the history/highlights of the towns and places, folklore and local food/wine. I also found the paper map helped me see the route within the larger context of the country. I finally decided on Bahrami's book. Kindle version would have been a bit lighter but I'm old school. Enjoyed reading and making notes about the next day's adventure accompanied by a glass of beer or wine.

Hola, todos.

Opinions are divided. I don't see the point, but others like to. On other trips, more generally backpacking around Europe in pre-digital days, I've taken guide books and when I'd meet fellow travellers who had been where I was heading I'd get them to annotate the guidebooks with their recommendations. But weight was not so much an issue those days. I could see possibly taking a physical guidebook if you are the type who likes to write in it. But for me, even my journal is online.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
6 years ago on CF I took Brierley barely looked at it just followed the arrows and didn't book accommodation. The following year on Le Puy I took a hard copy but last year on CF just used the apps. I preferred to preference the weight for sleeping bag and wet weather gear. Apps were easy to use.

Hola, todos.

Miam Miam Do Do
Accommodation only
Never without it .

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Look uo Leslie the following;

Trail Guides
The Miam Miam Do Do / Longwalking

It explains what is available in each town
I notice there is an app for Frances .

Last edited:
I'm starting in Leon on Thursday 19th and i have Gronze and Maps.me on my phone, i will also carry a copy of the Gerald Kelly 2024 guide. Used it in '22 and '23 on my past endeavours
Full of information ,clear maps, Albergue information and not heavy
Just my humble opinion, don't shoot me please 😎

Laurence

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I had access to Brierly, Sandy Brown's book and the Moon one, and they are all different. I too like a map to orient North. + for Sandy's book! The Moon book is more like a traditional vacation guidebook so will give you an idea of the "best" places to stay and eat in every location. I copied some pages in the copy I ran across before I went to Muxia/Finisterre, and had the best albergue experience of my trip as a result. All this to say that you don't need to carry them if you do your research ahead of time and take advantage of the tremendous amount of information included in these books! What a lot of work by the authors!

Muchas gracias to all who have responded to my original post.

I'm not sure we reached a concensus, but the idea of reading the books first then taking only the relevant pages (or photos of them) appeals.

One major thing I've got from this is the number of guides I'd never heard of before - two new ones just in the post before this! - and I thought I was reasonably well-informed. Time to see what the library can find for me.

Thanks again.

I like a physical copy and my piece of dead tree never needs charging. YMMV tho

each to their own, there is no definitive answer just subjectivity, I just happen to try and get away from screen time while on Camino
Agreed @markie6. Mine sit on the shelf, all scribbled in and dog-eared; living reminders of great adventures. When friends contemplate a Camino, I happily lend them and they enjoy thumbing the pages and my often inappropriate notes. It's much more 'real' than an app. I like that.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Apologies if someone has already noted this: It's possible to get the Kindle version of the Cicerone and Brierly guidebooks. As an added bonus, the maps in the Cicerone guide are of sufficient resolution that you can zoom in quite a bit (I've not tried this for the Brierly guide but assume you could do the same).

It's possible to get the Kindle version of the Cicerone and Brierly guidebooks.
I personally prefer the physical copies of guide books as I write notes in the margins as I study and research. They also make nice keepsakes to add to my Camino bookshelf.
I do take screenshots of many of the pages before I go.

Most read last week in this forum

This made for an exciting morning for me and a few pilgrims in the hills just before El Acebo today. A Spanish lady took charge and had us sit down…not sure that was the right course of action...
I'd like to share an observation that I've witnessed a few times on this camino that I think needs some attention and that is regarding elderly pilgrims traveling with family. Yesterday I...
Usually, when I go on a Camino, I take gloves. These are mainly for those chilly, damp mornings when it's raining slightly. However, I've found that few gloves are waterproof, and the ones tend to...
Not exactly Camino related, but I was flabbergasted by this story of a hiker that was lost for 24 hours who ignored rescuers' calls because 'they didn't recognize the number'...
Hi. We start our Camino early Monday morning. We arrive in SJPDP on Sunday afternoon and just wondering whether shops/supermarkets will be open so that we can stock up on a few supplies for...
My wife said the words I wanted to hear the other day: "Start looking for our next Camino. Make sure it has good infrastructure, like a bag forwarding service." We walked the Frances from SJPDP...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.