Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Grateful Shout Out to all the Hardworking, Hospitable Locals of the Camino Francés and Fisterra y Muxía

Rold Gold

Time of past OR future Camino
May-June 2024, Camino Francés and Camino Fisterra
Greeting Fellow Pilgrims!
I just finished walking (late May to late June) the length of Spain from Roncesvalles to Finisterre on both the Camino Francés and the Camino Fisterra y Muxía and want to express my admiration and gratitude to all the hardworking and hospital people along the way who make the experience possible and enjoyable for us pilgrims.

From albergue owners, staff, and volunteers who work tirelessly and patiently checking in, cleaning, cooking, and supporting pilgrims from dawn to dusk, café owners and their employees who open up establishments outside normal Spanish working hours to give pilgrims breakfasts at sunrise and dinners at 5 PM, Guardia Civil officers who watch the route and take pilgrim safety seriously, pharmacists who help us with aches and pains, members of the community who show tolerance, kindness, and generosity to the mass of humanity streaming past their homes every day, and many others, the welcome is almost always genuine and warm, and the goal is to be of service. I've not been on other Caminos but hope it's the same.

Of course, there are mediocre and even bad players in the mix, too, and, of course, even with the good players I realize it's also (and rightfully) about making money, but I am still astounded at how incredibly hard and consistently cheerfully the people of the local communities of the Camino work during the main walking season. I also want to point out in particular that the TOILETS in bars, restaurants and most albergues (and I stayed in many of the huge municipal ones) are uniformly very clean. I've both lived and traveled a lot around the world and don't think I've ever been as impressed with public bathrooms anywhere.

So please take a moment to feel gratitude for and express gratitude to the wonderful people who DON'T walk the Camino, as well as the wonderful people who DO.

Mil gracias a todos!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I just finished walking (late May to late June) the length of Spain from Roncesvalles to Finisterre on both the Camino Francés and the Camino Fisterra y Muxía and want to express my admiration and gratitude to all the hardworking and hospital people along the way who make the experience possible and enjoyable for us pilgrims.

From albergue owners, staff, and volunteers who work tirelessly and patiently checking in, cleaning, cooking, and supporting pilgrims from dawn to dusk, café owners and their employees who open up establishments outside normal Spanish working hours to give pilgrims breakfasts at sunrise and dinners at 5 PM, Guardia Civil officers who watch the route and take pilgrim safety seriously, pharmacists who help us with aches and pains, members of the community who show tolerance, kindness, and generosity to the mass of humanity streaming past their homes every day, and many others, the welcome is almost always genuine and warm, and the goal is to be of service. I've not been on other Caminos but hope it's the same.

Of course, there are mediocre and even bad players in the mix, too, and, of course, even with the good players I realize it's also (and rightfully) about making money, but I am still astounded at how incredibly hard and consistently cheerfully the people of the local communities of the Camino work during the main walking season. I also want to point out in particular that the TOILETS in bars, restaurants and most albergues (and I stayed in many of the huge municipal ones) are uniformly very clean. I've both lived and traveled a lot around the world and don't think I've ever been as impressed with public bathrooms anywhere.

So please take a moment to feel gratitude for and express gratitude to the wonderful people who DON'T walk the Camino, as well as the wonderful people who DO.

Mil gracias a todos!
Well said! 👣🎒💖

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Mil gracias a todos!
Hear! hear!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! Brand new here :) Very excited but also very nervous about this Upcoming 1st trial for 3/4 days SJPDP to Pamplona in late September. My first question: after flying from US New York area...
@Monasp has just posted the SJPDP figures for pilgrims recorded at the pilgrim office for the first six months of this year. Up a little over 4% on the same period last year. The pdf file is on...
Greetings, fellow pilgrims! Here’s an update for my plans to do the Camino Francés from SJPDP, with a few points I haven’t quite resolved yet. Some of them are on the “dumb question” category, so...
Hello everyone! I am planning to walk the Camino Frances starting Sept 13th this year and need some advice regarding my first night in SJPDP. I booked a private albergue just in case because I...
Planning camino from Leon - Santiago De Compostela late March to Mid April of 2025 during holy week, looking for recomendations for hotel or places that have private rooms. Our prefered daily...
I am thinking about doing the Camino Francais from Leon to Santiago, April 2025 and I’m wondering what type of weather to expect during that month in that part of Spain. I have walked parts of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back