• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 74,075 Camino Questions

Gossamer Gear G4-20 Ultralight 42 Backpack ?

Stellamaris

Time of past OR future Camino
CF1999,Le Puy 2012, 2014, CF March 2022
I am currently looking for a new backpack for my next camino and was wondering if anybody on the forum has triednwith the gossamer G4-20 UL 42 ?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You might want to check this thread out!
I recently ordered a new Gossamer Gear G4-20 backpack with the intention of using it next Spring on the Camino. This was my first experience with an ultralight frameless backpack. I just returned from a week of backpacking in Yellowstone NP and I used the G4-20 exclusively. I ordered the "Feedbag" accessory that attaches to the pack straps and I used it for a bear spray canister. I also purchased the Lightrek Hiking Umbrella which I carried attached to the side of the pack.

When I received the pack I was immediately weirded out by the lack of structure. I played around with packing methods and found that by not compressing my down jacket and other soft items I was able to get the pack filled out a bit. I was very skeptical when I departed for the trip. I did several hikes including an 11 mile backcountry hike, often off-trail. I was carrying relatively light loads of around 10-14 pounds, using water bottles in the side pockets.

Conclusions? I love this pack. I literally forgot I was wearing one, which in my mind is the highest praise I can give a pack. It was so comfortable with the lighter loads I was carrying it just disappeared. I flew down trails dodging bison and bears and had a blast. I struggled a bit getting water bottles in and out of the side pockets while wearing the pack, but I can easily rectify this with a longer water bottle. It had more than enough volume for an extended day hike, swallowing down and rain jackets, water shoes, food, bear spray, first aid kits etc. I think it's going to be a perfect choice for the Camino for me.

I may try to stiffen the back a bit with a different back pad, but beyond that it's perfect. It looks like a lump when sitting on the ground, but comes through on my back and that's what matters.

View attachment 126808
View attachment 126809
Edited to add: a quick check shows multiple other references, it would be worthwhile reading through them, not all are so positive

Last edited:
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Too big and too heavy for my personal taste, but i like Gossamer packs. They are well built and beginner friendly. Also some nice features. Personally i regard the G4 as a weird in-between and not my favorite. If you want to go light, theres the Kumo (and Murmur, but i stand with the official reccomendation on that one), if you are heavier, the Gorilla or Mariposa might be worth the extra weight and offer lots more flexibility.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

I hope I don’t sound like one of those agitated new forum members who just gets on the forum to vent about an awful experience and then goes away and never comes back. I am agitated and I do want...
Hi, I’m considering getting the Hoka Anacapa Breeze Mid for my Camino which will start on 10/31 from Porto to Santiago. Does anyone have experience with this particular model on long walks ? I’m...
There is a lot of good package lists on the web. However, it seems that almost all are made for a Summer Camino with high temperatures and sunshine in mind. My question is. If I start by crossing...
I am currently looking for a new backpack for my next camino and was wondering if anybody on the forum has triednwith the gossamer G4-20 UL 42 ?

Featured threads

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Featured threads

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back