Gardeners Guide to Camino

BombayBill

Still Learning
Sep 13, 2017
Rocky Mountains, Canada
Time of past OR future Camino
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

mspath

Veteran Member
Nov 25, 2009
France
allmycaminos.blogspot.fr
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
Here is a link to a book that details a gardener’s perspective of the Camino Frances.

Bombay Bill,
What a great idea! I'm off to 'cultivate my onions' here in France but look forward to reading this soon. Thanks for sharing thr link.

D

Deleted member 61803

Thanks for this. I am a keen veg grower and made sure I kept an eye on the huertas en route. I bought some seeds in O Pedrouzo to bring back as living mementos. Sadly that will not be the case in future as due to the B word we are no longer legally permitted to bring seeds back into the UK from the EU and vice versa. Will need to get that book now.

Edited to add:

Got it.Amazon UK have the kindle version. Guess what will keep me awake tonight.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

C clearly

Staff member
Jan 28, 2007
BC, Canada
Most years since 2012
we are no longer legally permitted to bring seeds back
I don't know the details, but... seeds are something that must always be declared upon entry into my country (Canada). That doesn't necessarily mean they are forbidden. I believe that they are often allowed, upon inspection - for example, a commercially packaged envelope. It might be worth checking further.

Reactions: CalgaryLynn

BombayBill

Still Learning
Sep 13, 2017
Rocky Mountains, Canada
September 2024 Invierno / VdLP or Cathar
Thanks for this. I am a keen veg grower and made sure I kept an eye on the huertas en route. I bought some seeds in O Pedrouzo to bring back as living mementos. Sadly that will not be the case in future as due to the B word we are no longer legally permitted to bring seeds back into the UK from the EU and vice versa. Will need to get that book now.

Edited to add:

Got it.Amazon UK have the kindle version. Guess what will keep me awake tonight.
Let the thread know what you think of the book? I haven’t read it.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Jul 28, 2012
Bucerias, Mexico
2024 Aragones, Madrid, Portugues Coastal
Here is a link to a book that details a gardener’s perspective of the Camino Frances.

I am not much of a gardener but if I remember correctly that Professor Gitlitz in his great book "Pilgrimage Road To Santiago" references flora and fauna pretty often along the Camino.

Reactions: David Tallan
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

OTH86

Veteran Member
Jun 9, 2013
Seattle
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x 2, 2017, 2021, 2022
When I wanted to bring some seeds back from Spain - but knew that would be illegal, I took pictures of the plants, and occasionally asked what the plant was in my pathetic Spanish. Then went to the annual Flower & Garden show in Seattle, and showed photos and my notes to the folks selling seeds - AND FOUND SOME - at least similar, and they are still growing in my little Pea Patch! Galician greens to make soup!

Gadflyparexcellence

Nov 25, 2015
New Jersey
Walked in "2016," "2018," "2022."
It appears to be a fascinating work.

Come to think of flowers, trees, weeds etc on the Camino, did anyone come across lilacs? While during my trips on the Camino I did not come across any lilacs, I do know that there are lilac trees in Spain and was just wondering if anyone recalls seeing them.

Recently I wrote a piece (link below) on lilacs and was wondering if lilac played a similar role in Spain as it did in various other countries.

https://tschaudhuri.medium.com/lila...t-lilacs-sparked-the-imagination-3045cee3695a

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
It appears to be a fascinating work.

Come to think of flowers, trees, weeds etc on the Camino, did anyone come across lilacs? While during my trips on the Camino I did not come across any lilacs, I do know that there are lilac trees in Spain and was just wondering if anyone recalls seeing them.

Recently I wrote a piece (link below) on lilacs and was wondering if lilac played a similar role in Spain as it did in various other countries.

https://tschaudhuri.medium.com/lila...t-lilacs-sparked-the-imagination-3045cee3695a
A very well written and lovely article with beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing it. I love lilacs and their fragrance is delightful!

Reactions: Gadflyparexcellence
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Marbe2

Dec 5, 2015
2015-2023 walked all or part of CF 11 times
I don't know the details, but... seeds are something that must always be declared upon entry into my country (Canada). That doesn't necessarily mean they are forbidden. I believe that they are often allowed, upon inspection - for example, a commercially packaged envelope. It might be worth checking further.
InUSA I believe they need to be approved for export to the USA andit must be written on the package... otherwise they will be confiscated at airport.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Mar 11, 2012
Ireland
A few and hopefully lots more.
Thanks @BombayBill for sharing the article. I read this book and really enjoyed it as an alternative perspective on the Camino Francés. His attention to horticultural detail was fascinating and I think it will prompt me to pay more attention to trees and plants next time.

However, if you're looking for a reflective Camino memoir, this mightn't be for you!

GettingThere

Veteran Member
Oct 29, 2013
New Zealand
Roncesvalles-SdC Apr-Jun 2015
Roncesvalles-Sarria Sep-Oct 2017
C. Frances sections Apr-Jun 2019

I'm reading this at the moment, it's right here beside me! I'm enjoying it, it's a different way of looking at the Camino and the descriptions and historical detail about how plants have been used are fascinating. Makes me wish I had this with me on my Caminos. Oh no, I'll have to go back again! Another interesting element of the book for me is the timing - the author was walking at the same time I was (Camino no. 2, Sept/Oct 2017), and I well remember that drought and subsequent fires (not sure if he'll mention those, I'm about halfway through the book).

Anyway, definitely enjoying it so far. And the illustrations and cover design are lovely too (yes, I have the print version!)

witsendwv

Apr 7, 2015
(2015)
InUSA I believe they need to be approved for export to the USA andit must be written on the package... otherwise they will be confiscated at airport.
Not always!!! When my bag was chosen for random inspection upon our return to the US for contraband meat products the seed packets were ignored. (I still grow and save pepper seeds every year.)

Reactions: Camino Chrissy
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Mar 1, 2017
Northern Illinois, USA
Recent:Norte/Muxia- Spring '23
MadridWay- Fall '23
Not always!!! When my bag was chosen for random inspection upon our return to the US for contraband meat products the seed packets were ignored. (I still grow and save pepper seeds every year.)
It sounds like carrying seed packets abroad on aircraft can be similar to the hiking pole debate...yes, no, maybe.😅

Reactions: witsendwv

Most read last week in this forum

Hey all , as in approaching the Camino from Sarria I didn’t find yet the basic equipment nor the alojamiento from sarria to santiago, I have booked just in Santiago some days but I’m becoming...
Snoring (another post ...) After 4 days of seriously noisy snorers in albergues, I was getting increasingly drained during the day. At one point, I was thinking whether I can continue, whether I...
I wasn't sure I was going to post "live from the Camino" for this Camino. I'm happy to do so on my solo Caminos, but when I am walking with family, my focus is a little elsewhere and I am mindful...
Hi All! I will arrive SDC on 5/17 and need a bed for 5/17 & 18. I can't find anything ,( well, the Parador for 800eu). Any & all help is greatly appreciated. I've checked gronze and all apps...
@Monasp has just posted two tables of statistics from the SJPDP pilgrim office on their Facebook account. Numbers of different nationalities recorded so far this year: the USA being the largest...
I've been reading about the different routes etc and I have seen that the longest route is over a month, but also that some people just walk for a weekend or a few days or a week. I want to do a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides