• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

From google photos to the forum

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have found that I have years of camino photos stored in google photos. I think these must have been taken when I was still using a camera. I have tried repeatedly to post a photo or two from these caminos to the forum and have been frustrated at every turn. The online instructions tell me to click on things that don’t show up when I am in google photos. Can anyone help?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I download the photo from Google Photos to my computer and then upload from there to the forum.
Ok, bear with me. I have never knowingly downloaded photos onto my computer. My “downloads” file is a hopeless mess. As you suggested, I have opened google photos in my computer and clicked the download. It tells me it has downloaded the photos in “This PC > Downloads > Photos-001 (2)zip. (The (2) probably reflects the fact that this is the second time I have tried to do it).

So the photos are apparently downloaded, but when I try to open them it tells me I will need a new app, ms-paint.

I have other photos downloaded directly in my downloads file that I can see as pictures, and when I try to click on them it tells me the sme thing - that I need another pp.

I’ve attached a screen shot in case it makes things clearer. I don’t blame you if you get impatient and don’t want to continue this conversation.

IMG_1901.jpeg

One of the things I like about you, @peregrina2000, is that you make me feel like a technological genius -- which is really hard to do.

So, here's the steps that work for me (at least they do sometimes):

1. I went to the google photos app. on my ipad.

2. I picked a picture specifically designed to lure you soon to the Bay Area.

3. I pressed on it.

4. I hit the "share" icon which appeared in the lower left hand corner of the screen.

5. That brought up a "Share to" icon, which I pressed.

6. Then it gave me an option to "Copy," and I pressed on that.

7. Then I opened up this frame in the Camino Forum.

8. I pressed on the blank frame.

9. An option to "Paste" appeared.

10. I pressed on that.

11. And voila! a view of the Golden Gate Bridge from atop mighty Mt. Livermore in the middle of the Bay.

1725722840277.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You one-upped me with that view! Wish I had a picture of your favorite Berkeley gate to share with you in return. Maybe I'll swing back there later today, and since it's Saturday, the gate is likely to be closed.

Off to the wilds of the Baztan and beyond on Monday, and hoping to be back here for your visit.

Ok, bear with me. I have never knowingly downloaded photos onto my computer. My “downloads” file is a hopeless mess. As you suggested, I have opened google photos in my computer and clicked the download. It tells me it has downloaded the photos in “This PC > Downloads > Photos-001 (2)zip. (The (2) probably reflects the fact that this is the second time I have tried to do it).

So the photos are apparently downloaded, but when I try to open them it tells me I will need a new app, ms-paint.

I have other photos downloaded directly in my downloads file that I can see as pictures, and when I try to click on them it tells me the sme thing - that I need another pp.

I’ve attached a screen shot in case it makes things clearer. I don’t blame you if you get impatient and don’t want to continue this conversation.

View attachment 177319
You don't need MS Paint to open a .jpg (JPEG image) file. You can open it in your web browser or pretty much anything capable of displaying an image. Or, when you are on the Forum, you can just upload IMG_0387.JPG and see it here.

I generally download photos one at a time, then I don't have to worry about them being zipped.

My downloads folder is pretty messy, too, but it is sorted with the most recent at the top. So when I download something to post it, it is easy to find. It is right at the top of the list.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You don't need MS Paint to open a .jpg (JPEG image) file. You can open it in your web browser or pretty much anything capable of displaying an image. Or, when you are on the Forum, you can just upload IMG_0387.JPG and see it here.

I generally download photos one at a time, then I don't have to worry about them being zipped.

My downloads folder is pretty messy, too, but it is sorted with the most recent at the top. So when I download something to post it, it is easy to find. It is right at the top of the list.
Thanks, David, but I have to confess that since @andycohn gave me a very simple way to get google photos uploaded to the forum without downloading, I am sticking with that.

My downloads folder is the "junk drawer" of my computer.
I have fairly recently learned to embrace this approach and find it useful.

One of the reasons I have stuck with Android phones (rather than i-phones) is that I can use many of the same file management techniques with Android that I am so used to on my PC. I carefully and old-fashionedly move files around in folders on my PC and transfer them to an external hard drive for backup. Then I can find them like in a old filing cabinet!

I get confused when Google sucks files up into the cloud without my knowing permission.

I have found that I have years of camino photos stored in google photos. I think these must have been taken when I was still using a camera. I have tried repeatedly to post a photo or two from these caminos to the forum and have been frustrated at every turn. The online instructions tell me to click on things that don’t show up when I am in google photos. Can anyone help?
My easy direct solution on a pc is:
Open Google Photos, right click ´copy picture´
then go here to your reply and right click ìnsert pic` into the screen...
Usually works with least pain
Here is my local Benedictine church of Saint Bendts in Ringsted, Denmark (1170 AD ) by this method, took no time at all.

1725743689397.png

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
View attachment 177323

OMG, it’s the view of the Oseira monastery from a little hill!!!!!!

Nice pic of the monastery, I might get to check out the 'new' albergue there in a couple of weeks.

Here's a really simple way of uploading a google photo to the forum from an android phone, from a complete techno dope, for anyone who's interested:

1. Find the Google photo on your phone

2. Take a screenshot of it (crop the screenshot if you wish).

3. When attaching a file to the post, just select the screenshot and upload it.

For priceless memories
Never rely on any cloud...store them on a external hard drive x2

Flogs method is why i stck to android devices although ipads are just as easy

Backups are a neccessity for one of a kind or vip pics.
Ive about 5-6 tb of photos from about the last 5 years.
Shooting about 3 tb a year since ive slowed down

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cloud storage is internet dependent
Would rather have "hard" copys in storage.
My clientel can call me 24/7 to get exact photos.
The only cloud storage do i use is smugmug which hasnt let me down yet,but the photos there are not heirlooms.

I have a different problem with Google but with photo uploads from my computer to Blogger. It used to be easy but now I keep getting a message that I must log in when I am already logged in. Pop-up then comes up with no way to do so! An alternative to load from another on-line site gives a way to post the link so I tried with one of my own photos from the forum but without success. Photo was from the 'Where did you walk....' thread. Any suggestions from those who have helped @peregrina2000 would be welcome.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
old-fashionedly move files around in folders on my PC and transfer them to an external hard drive for backup.
Gates introduced the term "folders" to replace "directories" just on 30 years ago to help the emerging "man in the street" to understand the basics of file management and make computer use more user friendly to the masses. They never really did grasp it (or html that same year) but got sucked in by anything that appeared to be free and had a funny name like cloud.

But there are no free lunches hence the confusion now. So its not old fashioned just good sense.

This thread is showing there are many ways to get from A to B. I just learned the copy and paste trick from Galery on my Android...much easier than using the attach files button. Thanks for asking the question, Laurie, and for all the different answers!

I get confused when Google sucks files up into the cloud without my knowing permission.
I get annoyed, on top of confused. Microsoft is getting obnoxiously intrusive, too - by default it saves everything on my pc to its cloud server.
Just...No.
But trying to get around that proved really challenging.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.