Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Frances and Portuguese differences in community?

Katiemac11

Time of past OR future Camino
Late September
Hi all.

I walked SJDPP to Burgos last year and found it so uplifting and healing, and made an amazing Camino Family.

I plan to walk from Porto this year but am unsure whether people have the same spiritual and community experience as Frances? I get the sense the routes provide differently, which is of course wonderful but am curious whether people often make families like seems to happen on Frances? It seems like maybe it’s a bit more about your own journey and less about community? Would love to know your experiences :)

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Community and the feeling of connection can happen on any camino, and much of it has to do with your own mindset and that of those around you. It's an organic thing.. just let it happen for you, or not.

Hi all.

I walked SJDPP to Burgos last year and found it so uplifting and healing, and made an amazing Camino Family.

I plan to walk from Porto this year but am unsure whether people have the same spiritual and community experience as Frances? I get the sense the routes provide differently, which is of course wonderful but am curious whether people often make families like seems to happen on Frances? It seems like maybe it’s a bit more about your own journey and less about community? Would love to know your experiences :)
Camino families is an alien concept to me, having preferred to go with the flow of serendipity, so second @Flog’s view of it being an organic thing. But others differ so if you want a guaranteed evening of social interaction, excellent food and general goodwill, then stay at Casa Fernanda and who knows what might follow.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On your own a substantial amount of the time is good. Some prefer it.
Portuguese is much busier than when I did it years ago so best of luck cobber.
Regards
Gerard

I'm not sure what you mean by "community".

While I agree with what others have said so far, I suspect that the sense of community you may be referring to is correlated with the distance from SdC that one starts to walk, and ones preparations and expectations.

5-10-20 people walking at roughly the same pace, staying at the same albergues, sharing stories and experiences, may be as likely to form some communal attachment, whether they start in Logrono or Lisbon (each roughly 25 days). I suspect the same is true for starting in Porto vs Astorga, or Tui vs Sarria.

Enzed offered a great observation on his walk from Tomar to Muxia.
Whilst there were more pilgrims after Porto, the connections prior seemed more personal. I walked solo, not many pilgrims on the pre-Porto stretch. But at the end of the day, conversation felt more easy, and one felt more compelled to acknowledge others presence.

I suspect the same is true of the Frances, perhaps more so.

PS: Start as far away from SdC as feasible, with little prep and no expectations.

Last edited:
Hi all.

After walking a number of Camino's in Spain, I walked the Via Podiensis in France this spring. I'm sure the terrible weather and constant rain taints my view . It was a very different experience. Very few "pilgrims" - mostly people on hikes with family and friends. Very little Camino camaraderie or spirit. If you don't speak French, expect to feel isolated at times. I'm glad I did it, but would never go again. I'm walking again in Spain.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi all.

Community experience has to do with giving first, receiving second. Chuck

I’d walked from Lisbon to Santiago in September 2015. Up until Porto, it was super quiet with very few peregrinos. No doubt it is busier these days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Each time I walked a Camino my attitude was as if it was my first. Wide eyed enthusiasm, welcoming every day, and experience. Each time I was rewarded with a unique, and wonderful experience. The desire to recreate a previous walk was never issue.
You will always find new things within yourself if you are willing to drop all pretentions.
IMHO
C’.

Most read last week in this forum

We are still in Lisbon at a hotel waiting to get to Porto. We are a day behind our desired schedule. Being here is so different from watching everyone’s videos and instructions. Hubby is thinking...
Greetings from Portugal, We are currently in the town of Santarem. We have met some wonderful folks and we have a question. Does anyone know if there is a way to transport backpacks from here to...
We are walking the Camino Portuguese today and the fires outside of Albergaría a Velha forced us to evacuate to Sao Joao da Madeira. I am trying to find the best resource to check on our path to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back