• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on the Portuguese Coastal Camino

Parksville

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese,SJPP Finistere, Francigena, P. Coastal
What were your favourite food experiences on the Portuguese Coastal Camino? Here were ours:

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I got to Viana do Castelo and went to the restaurant on the left just over the bridge!
I asked if the lady would serve me a traditional Portuguese meal but not Bacalhau! I waited in anticipation as there were some lovely aromas wafting out the door!
She proudly presented me with steak , egg and chips; i think something was lost in translation 🤣 !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got to Viana do Castelo and went to the restaurant on the left just over the bridge!
I asked if the lady would serve me a traditional Portuguese meal but not Bacalhau! I waited in anticipation as there were some lovely aromas wafting out the door!
She proudly presented me with steak , egg and chips; i think something was lost in translation 🤣 !
We had experiences like this as well. So funny but definitely fond memories!

We had a very good meal at a tapas place in Tui, just across the border into Spain. It was on the left on the walk up to the cathedral. The name was Parillada-Taperia A Muralla. Great view from up there too.

We had a very good meal at a tapas place in Tui, just across the border into Spain. It was on the left on the walk up to the cathedral. The name was Parillada-Taperia A Muralla. Great view from up there too.
Meal, view and close to the cathedral. That sounds perfect!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Pasteis de nata have to top the list. Also fond memories of fish and seafood dinners by the coast before I headed in to the Central, the lovely dinner at Casa da Fernanda (although this wasn't on the Coastal part), and pimientos in Padron.

I don't really regret the Fancesinha in Porto but one was enough to last quite a while.

My most memorable ‘food experience’ occurred some twelve or more years ago, in Porto. The sole vegetarian option on the menu was a €7 tomato salad. It consisted of half a tomato sliced and artistically drizzled with balsamic vinegar, without so much as a basket of bread. A light meal for a Camino-lite?

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
My most memorable ‘food experience’ occurred some twelve or more years ago, in Porto. The sole vegetarian option on the menu was a €7 tomato salad. It consisted of half a tomato sliced and artistically drizzled with balsamic vinegar, without so much as a basket of bread. A light meal for a Camino-lite?
CAD 11 for half of a tomato and some vinegar....at days gone by prices?! That would be 'memorable' indeed!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all, walking from Porto and heading into A Guarda tomorrow and wondering if anyone knows of a good chiropodist or podiatrist there or if not there when’s the next one coming up?.. have some...
Hello my Camino friends! I will be arriving in Porto the morning of Tuesday July 2nd to walk the Coastal Route. I want to also complete the Espiritual Variant. However,. I need to arrive in...
What were your favourite food experiences on the Portuguese Coastal Camino? Here were ours: https://retirementreflections.com/2024/07/03/whats-on-your-plate-the-portuguese-coastal-camino-edition/

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back