• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food on La Meseta beyond abysmal

I think all these phrases that put different countries at different levels are likely to be fraught. I can well imagine someone taking umbrage at being told their country is still developing while my country is developed, like theirs was not as mature or evolved.
Not to mention that the "developed" countries have massive areas where people struggle with existential threat to their well-being.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
With all due respect, it’s not a problem.

It's just part of what makes a camino the wonderful experience that is can be.

The OP seemed more than a little patronizing, with a touch of victim blaming.

I wonder if it isn’t a reflection on the new wave of the privileged, on a schedule, expecting to be catered to while disturbing the peace, leaving trash, tissue paper and excrement. To what end? A piece of paper? Bragging rights? Checking a box? Whining that they’re ‘not feeling it', yet?

The Caminos are a great testament to the graciousness of those that tolerate and welcome us with kindness. They, and their villages, are not a problem.

Last edited:
Help keep the Camino clean. Join us in 2025 for the Camino Cleanup Program & Retreat
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Another thought. I find it rather strange or peculiar ( for lack of a better word ) that some pilgrims feel so hesitant to ask a local person for some tips or general advise. Not only when it comes to food btw.
Even if the pilgrim has limited knowledge of Spanish there is mostly a local around who speaks English.
I remember a month ago when I was in Silleda that a pharmacist and I got into a conversation about Compeed and before I knew he gave me a suggestion about a good restaurant in Santiago.

So please for those who feel shy : don't be! Ask politely and you will be surprised! And yes, google maps is handy :cool: .

We can't have been to the same shops in Spain. What kind of vegetables couldn't you find???
Well, tell us which pilgrim meals or restaurants along the Camino that serve dishes that consist of a heap of all kinds of sauteed vegetables in a big plate, which is ubiquitous in Thailand/Vietnam at few dollars? No, potatoes do not count.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
Well, tell us which pilgrim meals or restaurants along the Camino that serve dishes that consist of a heap of all kinds of sauteed vegetables in a big plate, which is ubiquitous in Thailand/Vietnam at few dollars? No, potatoes do not count.

Verduras a la plancha at Casa Barquiero in Negreira ( en route to Finisterre ) among many other places!

Or this one in Leon!

An example of the menu!

Puerros de Fresno de la Vega con salsa romesco y vinagreta
Verduras a la plancha
Etc etc...
Then again, aside from my first Camino in 2011, I never ate a menu del peregrino on other Caminos.

In Ourense : Maria Tapas.
Lots of veggies.

Last edited:
I haven’t been paying careful attention to this thread, but I think that the OP has unfairly focused on one small segment of the available food on the meseta — the pilgrim menú — and from there generalized about the quality of food overall.

If you limit yourself to pilgrim menus, you will eat food that is intended to be cheap, caloric, easy to prepare, and uninteresting. I’m not knocking it - where else can you get a 3 course meal for 12 euros? But to suggest that it is representative of what Spanish people on the meseta eat, or that it is representative of what is available to you if you “break out” of the pilgrim menú, is just not accurate. It is true that meseta food leans towards heavy meat dishes, but I think pilgrims who are not happy with pilgrim menús have two options — go to the grocery store/fruit and vegetable store and make your own meals; or spend more money and forego the pilgrim menú for either a menú del día or a la carte items on the menu of better restaurants. There are many restaurants in towns on the Camino Francés in the meseta that do not cater to pilgrims and where you can get excellent food.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Verduras a la plancha at Casa Barquiero in Negreira ( en route to Finisterre ) among many other places!

Or this one in Leon!

An example of the menu!

Puerros de Fresno de la Vega con salsa romesco y vinagreta
Verduras a la plancha
Etc etc...
Then again, aside from my first Camino in 2011, I never ate a menu del peregrino on other Caminos.

In Ourense : Maria Tapas.
Lots of veggies.
yep... I've never been in want for a verduras a la plancha, or a massive plate of pimientos de Padrón, a tray of white asparagus and a massive salad with protein added.
Quince with cheese...

I'll take these any day over a plate of slimy, squishy sautéed peppers and strings of carrots.

IMG_8541.jpegIMG_8540.jpegIMG_8500.jpegIMG_8307.jpegIMG_8299.jpegIMG_3682.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_2572.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These kinds of posts are what give rise to the forbidden "Pilgrim vs. Tourist" arguments.
Pilgrims are responsible for taking care of their own needs. They adjust themselves to the path, they do not demand the path adjust to them. If the restaurants do not meet your demands, go to the grocery store and buy ingredients and make your meals to suit yourself.
Millions of Spaniards do that, every day, and their life expectancy is way longer than most anyone's.
If you don't like what's on offer, do something to fix it. Don't go online and slam an entire region. (Meseta cuisine can be exquisite if you step outside the cheap-and-easy "pilgrim menu" and order from the Carta!)

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
When I am a tourist, I am still responsible for taking care of my needs.
On both counts... I think what you are really talking about is taking care of one's *desires*....
I don't want to engage in such precision for no reason; the entire hospitalero system does take care of needs, and does it so very well, is so dedicated to that... as I know @Rebekah Scott is (as are so many others here). I don't want to erase that dedication or make it seem as though the needs for safety, shelter and calories won't be there... And let's face it: the very most rudimentary pilgrim meal (and many communal meals are far beyond rudimentary) is far beyond the bread and beer rations that the original monasteries had on offer.

I had, admittedly not many, a number of vegetarian dishes throughout my walk. OK, maybe they dont compare to the ones from VietNam or Thailand ... but why compare? We are not in either of those places! By that standard I should make a big fuss about Ensalata Russa which is not quit the same as it would be in either Russia or Ukraine... but thats what the dish is in Spain, and so it shall be.
very good billimbob in Albergue Orion in Castrojeriz, a very plentiful and satisfying vegetarian dinner at Albergue El Beso... I dont know if the veggies were 'as fresh as Vietnamese' but they surely didnt smell funny

Keep the Camino momentum going once you return home with After the Camino
I must admit I haven't had a pilgrim meal for a long time, in fact since my 1st camino in 2012, I never liked the main course nor the pudding! (I am not a big meat eater and I prefer cheese to sweet dishes). But I never suffered from lack of food or 'abysmal' food in Spain! Whichever region...

If you order a 'menu del dia' like the locals do, you'll have much more choice. As others above have mentioned, you can also get a big plate of vegetables a la plancha.

Also look at their 'carta': in season, they have wonderful dishes of small artichokes (alcachofas) cooked on a parrilla, broad beans (habas), leeks in vinagreta (puerros), always a wonderful tomato salad etc etc
It'll probably coast more than in Thailand or Vietnam (never been to Vietnam but used to go to Thailand frequently) but... it is certainly cheaper than my own country (France) and definitely much much cheaper than the country I live in (England).

Try it next time, I don't think you'll be disappointed :)
I am not just saying this to you of course but to any others who may have had problems with food on the Camino.

If on a budget, the alternative is to buy your own ingredients (they WILL be available) and share with other pilgrims. Unless it's a Sunday or a fiesta day lol (But I have had small shops opening especially for us pilgrims on the VdlP!)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, I am posting this having just completed the Burgos to Ponferrada leg of Camino Frances. This would take my Camino mileage up to around 1,300km over a few shorter trips, so while I would...
Hi everyone 🙂 I have just arrived to Leon to start my walk tomorrow morning. Checked into accom and have found that one of my poles won't tighten when I extend it 😳 They are very basic telescopic...
I am convinced that if I ever manage to invent air-conditioned underwear or truly waterproof gear for the Camino that keeps you dry, I will become a millionaire. Today, I walked in heavy rain from...
Hello im Pablo C Vergara - Im in the Film Industry and been on some TV shows and NETFLIX. I just arrived to Madrid and staying at Tres Cantos tonight and intending to travel north to start my...
Ok, not literally, but kind of they did. The recent thread on the wolf at Cruz de Ferro reminded me of my tenuous link to the Camino involving wolves, and it would be great to hear of other...
There used to be a large scale printable elevation map for each stage of Camino Frances. I hung it on my mom's wall so she could follow my journey. Each stage was almost one sheet of paper. Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.