• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Food & Dietary Restrictions on the Camino

Unweekends

American - planning 1st time Camino
Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2025
What type of food/quality can be expected on the Camino? What do the locals eat in this region?

Is it eating at the Alberges for breakfast & dinner & then eating at restaurants for lunch along the way? Or is it all restaurants ( with no meals provided at Alberges)?

What kind of daily meal costs can I expect? I am budgeting $40 US dollars a day ($20 for alberges & $20 for meals). - is this about right, or do I need to adjust my budget?

Also I have dietary restrictions. I have a tree nut allergy ( can eat no nuts except for peanuts). I do have a Spanish language card to carry around to alert the staff. I am diabetic so must eat low/ no sugar & lower carb (rice is fine in moderation). I won't be able to eat pastries or coffee if it has sugar because of the high sugar & carbs. I am not allergic to seafood & pork, but I prefer to avoid those if possible.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
Most albergues don't serve meals, but this depends on your route. Some albergues have a kitchen (although the "kitchen" may not have pans or cooking utensils, just a microwave). Not every village has a restaurant (and restaurants often closed once a week for the staff to have a break), so it doesn't hurt to carry an emergency ration.

Many restaurants along the camino have a "pilgrim's menu" for dinner, typically a starter and a plate with a main dish. If you find other pilgrims to eat with, you can order dishes to share (which is how people generally dine out with family and friends in Spain). Look for tortilla (egg and potato), pimentos de Padron (little mild peppers charred in oil), ensalada de queso de cabra / rullo de cabra (goat cheese salad, request no nuts). Be aware that "frutos secos" is literally "dried fruits", but means nuts. Coffee is not served with sugar added. In a city, look for a vegetarian restaurant (there are at least three vegan places now in Santiago). Many traditional soups or stews with beans are unfortunately also made with pork, so it's nice to look for a place where you can try a pork-free version.

In bigger towns where there is a supermarket, you can stock up on food for a picnic. Look ahead the day before to see what supermarkets are available and what times they are open (many close for the afternoon siesta). I carried a small bottle of olive oil, a small bottle of balsamic syrup and salt- and I ate a lot of superb little supermarket tomatoes on bread or with salad greens. Carretilla microwave meals are not bad and the Ensalada de Quinoa is tasty without heating.

40 USD/day will be fine if you are staying in public albergues (10 euros/night) and making your own breakfast and lunch.

What regions does your camino route pass through? Read up on some of the regional dishes on wikipedia, eg:

Most albergues don't serve meals, but this depends on your route. Some albergues have a kitchen (although the "kitchen" may not have pans or cooking utensils, just a microwave). Not every village has a restaurant (and restaurants often closed once a week for the staff to have a break), so it doesn't hurt to carry an emergency ration.

Many restaurants along the camino have a "pilgrim's menu" for dinner, typically a starter and a plate with a main dish. If you find other pilgrims to eat with, you can order dishes to share (which is how people generally dine out with family and friends in Spain). Look for tortilla (egg and potato), pimentos de Padron (little mild peppers charred in oil), ensalada de queso de cabra / rullo de cabra (goat cheese salad, request no nuts). Be aware that "frutos secos" is literally "dried fruits", but means nuts. Coffee is not served with sugar added. In a city, look for a vegetarian restaurant (there are at least three vegan places now in Santiago). Many traditional soups or stews with beans are unfortunately also made with pork, so it's nice to look for a place where you can try a pork-free version.

In bigger towns where there is a supermarket, you can stock up on food for a picnic. Look ahead the day before to see what supermarkets are available and what times they are open (many close for the afternoon siesta). I carried a small bottle of olive oil, a small bottle of balsamic syrup and salt- and I ate a lot of superb little supermarket tomatoes on bread or with salad greens. Carretilla microwave meals are not bad and the Ensalada de Quinoa is tasty without heating.

40 USD/day will be fine if you are staying in public albergues (10 euros/night) and making your own breakfast and lunch.

What regions does your camino route pass through? Read up on some of the regional dishes on wikipedia, eg:
Thank you. I will be in a short Camino from Valenca Portugal to Santiago ( Camino Portuguese). I don't mind vegetarian food, but I have to be double cautious because they like to sneak in Almond milk or flour (at least in the USA).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Santiago cake is made with almond flour so beware of that!

The area where you are walking uses a lot of pork and seafood. Cured pork products are another common food. Caldo Gallego, the soup common in this region, is a soup with beans and greens usually in a broth made with pork.

I carry Baby Bell cheeses because they are easy to find and store in my pack in their wax wrappers. I also make hard boiled eggs for breakfast and snacks. Due to lack of cookware in the albergues in Galicia, I bought a light pan to boil eggs last winter and carried it with me. You should also be be able to find yogurt which is a good breakfast option.

Most read last week in this forum

I have walked many Caminos and I have mixed feelings about this topic. I usually try to book private lodgings in recent years when I walk on less traveled Caminos as I prefer to feel confident I...
I’m just two weeks away from my next Camino, and of course, I’m in full-on research mode—scrolling through every forum I can find (yes, that includes Reddit). One thing I’ve noticed? The number of...
Back on the Frances and hope to get to Santiago this time. This is my 3rd part of this Camino, 1st to Logrono 2022, 2nd to Leon 2023. After a bit of a hectic day getting to Leon from my home in...
As I have been recently diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease I feel like I want to walk another Camino. We did the Frances and very much loved it. My wife said find a path with infrastructure so...
Hi Everyone, Grateful for this community as my wife and I are planning our first Camino after 13 years of longing to go! We will be walking in mid-May to mid-June and I have a few questions...
Its probably been done a million times Someone arrives at the port..turns west and go as the birds do No maps No clues No expectations Its..over there and away we go! What an adventure vlog that...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.