Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Flora and Fauna of Camino Frances

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Other than knowing that European Robins can be found there through the Merlin app, I don't. Buena suerte!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Is anyone aware of a guide book on the flora and fauna of the Camino Frances? Or perhaps this exists per region? (e.g., Navarre, Galicia, Leon).
I’m not. Collins “Birds of Europe”, might be useful but comes in at 750gm, never mind the binoculars. Most of the National Parks produce leaflets promoting their birds, bears or big cats and, as you might expect there’s a lot of information on-line.

I guess a Camino Frances specific guide might find a market but I suspect it would be limited. There is such a variety of biomes along that +700km that it would be a chunky book.

The fauna that you might hope to encounter but likely won’t include Eurasian Bear; Wolf, Eurasian Lynx; Chamonix and Wild Boar. You might see Golden, Booted and White Tailed Eagle plus a whole mess of hawks and harriers. There’s an assortment of Vultures too. White Storks are ubiquitous as are Greater,Lesser and Cattle Egret. Common Crane aren’t but you might encounter some and Great Bustard are often sighted around Fromista.

I saw a Pine Martin once. Once in +50 years of buggering about in Iberia.

Can’t help with Flora. When I was raised if you couldn’t eat it it didn’t have a name

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Trees from Navarra to Galicia: pine (nigra, pinaster, pinea, halepensis, radiata), oak ( pirynaica), holm oak, ash, alder, poplar, black poplar, elm, wilow, walnut, hazelnut blackthorn. In Galicia: pine ( pinaster, radiata), oak (robur), chesnut, birch, alder, ash, wilow, black poplar, walnut, hazelnut blackthorn, eucalyptus ( globulus, nintens).

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trees from Navarra to Galicia: pine (nigra, pinaster, pinea, halepensis, radiata), oak ( pirynaica), holm oak, ash, alder, poplar, black poplar, elm, wilow, walnut, hazelnut blackthorn. In Galicia: pine ( pinaster, radiata), oak (robur), chesnut, birch, alder, ash, wilow, black poplar, walnut, hazelnut blackthorn, eucalyptus ( globulus, nintens).
Thanks much!

I was also going to recommend this wonderful Canadian book. I learned so much about the plants along the Frances. A small book but jam packed with information - a truly delightful read!
I just ordered a copy, thanks all!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, this certainly doesn't answer your question but your question made me think how much I enjoy the storks and cuckoo birds on the camino. We don't have them where I live (New Mexico, USA). (But we do have lots of cool roadrunners.) I was amazed how much the cuckoos sound like the clocks!

Well, this certainly doesn't answer your question but your question made me think how much I enjoy the storks and cuckoo birds on the camino. We don't have them where I live (New Mexico, USA). (But we do have lots of cool roadrunners.) I was amazed how much the cuckoos sound like the clocks!
Thanks! In general, I was struck by how little commentary there was out there on the natural world encountered on The Way. Plenty on food, lodging, and internal experience.

I accept that I may sound like a broken record on the subject, but The Pilgrimage Guide to Santiago de Compostela: The Complete Cultural Handbook (Including art - architecture - geology - history - folklore - saints' lives - flora and fauna) by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, does cover flora and fauna along the Camino Frances (and Aragones).

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I accept that I may sound like a broken record on the subject, but The Pilgrimage Guide to Santiago de Compostela: The Complete Cultural Handbook (Including art - architecture - geology - history - folklore - saints' lives - flora and fauna) by David M. Gitlitz and Linda Kay Davidson, does cover flora and fauna along the Camino Frances (and Aragones).
Thanks David

Most read last week in this forum

I can’t believe I’m just starting my 4th week on the Camino! Frómista to Carrión de los Condes, 12.5 miles, 20.11 Km. A rather uneventful day, which I don’t mind after yesterday’s intense day...
Hello all, I'm planing a 10-14 day walk from SJPP to .. as far as I get. Will be walking a slower pace (about 8 miles) and plan to cross from SJPP to Roncevalles in 2 days. Once leaving...
Hi, I’ve walked four Caminos in the past and hope to do another in June next year, though my arthritis might have another opinion… We all walk our own Camino our own way… I’ve still got the...
It's almost there thankfully the big walk begins tomorrow, raining all day according to the forecast. Trying to get a few hours sleep tonight and a good breakfast in the morning. I've done all my...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back