• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Alert Flooding between Accous and Somport - Path closed

Topics realted to Hazards on the camino de Santiago
One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Hello,
Due to the bad weather we experienced last night, the Arles path between Accous and Somport is currently impassable.
The RN134 road is also closed above Urdos.
For the moment, I don’t know for how long, but given the damage, it’s going to take a while.
France Bleu Béarn - Inondation Vallée d’Aspe
I have just left Etsaut, walking the road to Urdos.
Do you know if the GR653 is passable?
Thanks.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Eric,
So, this means currently no possibility for intending pilgrims to continue on the Arles to Somport/Canfranc even using the bus from Bedous? Have there been many pilgrims through your place in recent days/weeks?

Wow, I've just looked at that video.. That's a serious hole!😮

Crossing the Pyrenees via the Ports de Cize from Saint Jean Pied de Port is no problem at the moment. The problems occurred 60 km further east.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
I have just left Etsaut, walking the road to Urdos.
Do you know if the GR653 is passable?
Thanks.
Well, looking at the IGN map, the GR should be passable unless the hole in the main road is just at that 200m stretch high above Urdos where GR joins the road for a bit.
This is of course assuming that no damage happened to the GR itself. Which you are going to find out, if you will walk it. Please post here any info for future pilgrims.

Hi Flog,
There are a few pilgrims passing through (I would say about ten per day). And the road is closed (due to its collapse), so no buses, no traffic for months (according to French authorities). An emergency solution will be provided for those who are stranded, but it’s hard to say if any improvement will come before next spring.
The Gave d’Aspe has been destructive in the area (and the riverbed has completely changed, hence the impossibility of crossing it).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Caminka,
The IGN map is very good for preparing the route, but today the situation is exceptional. And I can tell you that the construction of a new bridge will not happen tomorrow.
For information on the condition of the path, I will see what I can do, but it will not be in the newspapers.
The hole in the road and the destroyed bridge are two separate damages then? I don't recall a mention of a damaged bridge in the article posted above.

If I understand you correctly the bridge on top of the village of Urdos, where GR crosses the river, is destroyed. Sorry to be persistant but I wish to make this clear for any pilgrims that are not connected to the net on a daily basis.

In this case, if anyone wished to still proceed up, is the yellow PR Chemin du Berat which crosses the river at the start of Urdos at the camping, an option? (Looking at it, this is actually the route I walked in 2009 before the new GR was made.)

Perhaps it would be prudent to inform the hospitaleros in Oloron (and the tourist office?) of the situation so that they can advise pilgrims accordingly and suggest an alternative route (Piemont or link to Navarrenx)?

Regarding the information to the tourist office and the Bastet relay (pilgrim association) in Oloron. It has been done since yesterday morning, and I am counting on them to spread the information.
I have presented to you the first problem that I have access to, but nothing guarantees the rest of the path. The small streams have become huge. And you can look for all possible solutions to force the passage, but none are viable today. If we ourselves cannot access it…

Will the bus go via the tunnel?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just heard too that Lourdes is partially under water especially around the shrine ( in case anyone wants to go and pay there respects there). I think there is a river than runs through it has overflowed.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Thank you for posting this alert, I am heading to Jaca in 3 weeks to continue my pilgrimage and had planned to travel by train and bus from Pau. Looks like I need to get there are different way. So glad I checked the forum today.
Whatever about the pilgrims, a serious headache and massive diversion for travellers crossing the pyrenees by the N134.. a much bigger and wider issue.
Yes really terrible and for the people who live there.

Thank you for posting this alert, I am heading to Jaca in 3 weeks to continue my pilgrimage and had planned to travel by train and bus from Pau. Looks like I need to get there are different way. So glad I checked the forum today.
Hi there @Pilgrim 122! I will enjoy getting a few updates from you again this time while you are walking. Is this a continuation of the last section as you continue from Rome? I hope you find an alternative way around the problem area without too much trouble.
I will be on the Camino Invierno in about 2 weeks.🙂

I posted a response to Yesterdays Flood Warning thread. My French son in law Julien stated "tell anyone else to maybe cancel the Oloron-Somport section for this season. If they are thinking about back-up options, they can always, from Oloron, follow the GR78 (the "Piemont Way") that gets to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, and then keep going on the Frances." Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 550 bus? It takes the N134 and the N134 has a giant hole in it. So no, the bus cannot reach the tunnel at all.
So, if that was the bus company I used to work for, two unfortunate drivers would by now be driving a minibus each from each side of the hole in opposite directions to take people to civilization. One going over the top for the people on the Candanchu side and the one on the Oloron side going the other way. To and fro for ever and probably meeting big busses at the end of the tunnel. The driving job from hell. Routes are changed for that sort of event. But maybe not in Spain.

Just to add in case that wasn't clear, that all these places each side of the hole are accessible but only from one side. So buses at least (and cars) can get to everywhere but have to go the long way round to avoid the hole. Which will be possible until it snows.

Last edited:
Hi there @Pilgrim 122! I will enjoy getting a few updates from you again this time while you are walking. Is this a continuation of the last section as you continue from Rome? I hope you find an alternative way around the problem area without too much trouble.
I will be on the Camino Invierno in about 2 weeks.🙂
Hi Chrissy, Yes still walking from Rome ! I look forward to reading your updates too.
I posted a response to Yesterdays Flood Warning thread. My French son in law Julien stated "tell anyone else to maybe cancel the Oloron-Somport section for this season. If they are thinking about back-up options, they can always, from Oloron, follow the GR78 (the "Piemont Way") that gets to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, and then keep going on the Frances." Buen Camino

Yes, I expect it will be months before the road is open again so a detour onto the Piemont looks like the best alternative for anyone planning on following the Arles route for the foreseeable future.

So, if that was the bus company I used to work for, two unfortunate drivers would by now be driving a minibus each from each side of the hole in opposite directions to take people to civilization. One going over the top for the people on the Candanchu side and the one on the Oloron side going the other way. To and fro for ever and probably meeting big busses at the end of the tunnel. The driving job from hell. Routes are changed for that sort of event. But maybe not in Spain.
I think there's a fair chance they'll keep the part of the route that goes to Urdos but they won't bother with the other side : there's no village beyond Urdos until the final destination in Spain, only a few isolated houses and farms (which must be in quite a complicated situation!). And with it being a French public transport company, their priority will be the French side. It's a valley surrounded by mountains, so the detour would be huge and not worth it to reach Spain!

It's going to take a while to get everything back in order.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I think there's a fair chance they'll keep the part of the route that goes to Urdos but they won't bother with the other side : there's no village beyond Urdos until the final destination in Spain, only a few isolated houses and farms (which must be in quite a complicated situation!). And with it being a French public transport company, their priority will be the French side. It's a valley surrounded by mountains, so the detour would be huge and not worth it to reach Spain!

It's going to take a while to get everything back in order.
Yes, that will probably be the medium term solution. All skiers will have to come via Spain.

If they are thinking about back-up options, they can always, from Oloron, follow the GR78 (the "Piemont Way") that gets to Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, and then keep going on the Frances." Buen Camino
Or from Oloron, head up towards Navarrenx DIY.

It's starting to get too late in the season for the high mountain alternatives to be viable before 2025, and going anywhere near the landslide area would be foolish.

I think there's a fair chance they'll keep the part of the route that goes to Urdos but they won't bother with the other side
It is a massive commercial transport route, so that the income losses will be massive until there's a solution.

Having said that, similar repeat damage has taken place at a French Alpine village at this end, and very few people now continue to live up there. Anyone's guess how this situation will evolve.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have just heard too that Lourdes is partially under water especially around the shrine ( in case anyone wants to go and pay there respects there). I think there is a river than runs through it has overflowed.
It was :

lourdes-2024-09-09-at-12.19.04.jpg

Reportedly from French media, the flooding has subsided, and it has been cleaned up.

https://www.lourdes-france.com/la-grotte-de-lourdes-a-nouveau-accessible-au-public/

I was actually planning to start in Oloron on 3rd October and walk to Puente la Reina.
Looks like i may have to choose another route.
Any ideas? My flight is to and from Biarritz.
I won't walk the Norte though, have walked Vasco del interior before.

I was actually planning to start in Oloron on 3rd October and walk to Puente la Reina.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could start with the Camino de Baztan like suggested above and then take public transport from Pamplona to Jaca (and even to Canfranc from Jaca) and walk back. It's a bit convoluted but you'll do a good part of what you wanted to do to start with.

Hello,
Here is the official communication from the Pyrenees-Atlantiques Hiking Federation (responsible for the trail: Facebook FFRando64)
1725952393092.png

Following the floods in the Aspe Valley on 07/09/2024, several structures and portions of the trail are impassable or have disappeared.
The GR®653 is closed from Oloron-Sainte-Marie for an indefinite period, while the damage to the entire trail is assessed.
To reach Compostela from Oloron, it is possible to take the GR®78, the Pyrenean foothills trail: either west to join St-Jean-Pied-de-Port or east to join the GR®108, the Ossau trail.
We will keep you informed of the situation’s progress.
Thank you for your understanding.

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Whatever about the pilgrims, a serious headache and massive diversion for travellers crossing the pyrenees by the N134.. a much bigger and wider issue.
And the economic impact for the Spanish side will be pretty big. This article talks about loss of revenues from France for the whole area around Jaca, Candanchú, and Somport. 6 months is the estimated repair time, which means a huge hit for the ski season.

Start at Somport and walk farther on the Francés?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
And the economic impact for the Spanish side will be pretty big. This article talks about loss of revenues from France for the whole area around Jaca, Candanchú, and Somport. 6 months is the estimated repair time, which means a huge hit for the ski season.

Candanchu lies mostly dormant until December when the sking starts, though Canfranc Estacion, Jaca, Hueca etc get a lot of French visitors year round so they'll feel the pinch, I imagine. About a quarter of all pilgrims through Canfranc are French, too, having come by the Arles, so pilgrim numbers will be down too.

I am a tourist this week and was at Lourdes yesterday. Yes, the flood water shown in this pic has been cleaned up.

It looked very dramatic last week, but the grotto and the whole plateau of the sanctuary is only a few metres above the river bed, so it seems to flood and drain again fairly quickly..

Start at Somport and walk farther on the Francés?
Yes, this would be an ok solution, but i would miss out on the climb up to Somport.
Also, i dont know how easy it is to get to Somport from Biarritz.
I started another thread on an alternative Camino possibility, Baztan/Frances loop, but it will involve walking some of those in opposite direction.
Thanks

If it is not too late in the season (snow), Voie d'Ossau is a beautiful route and delivers you to Somport from the upper side. Lovely villages, pilgrim heritage (from the top of my head at least two hospices, abbaye laique with a portal depicting the apostles, houses with scallops, hidden skeletons), a thermal spa, beautiful scenery, and a mountain refuge with a lake mirroring the magnificent Pic du Midi d'Ossau (on an alternative route).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes, this would be an ok solution, but i would miss out on the climb up to Somport.
Also, i dont know how easy it is to get to Somport from Biarritz.
I started another thread on an alternative Camino possibility, Baztan/Frances loop, but it will involve walking some of those in opposite direction.
Thanks
With this closure, it is not easy to reach Somport from Biarritz. By transport, you’d take the train or bus to SJPdP, bus to Pamplona, bus to Jaca, and then a bus to Somport. Of course, you could walk any segment of that.

If it is not too late in the season (snow), Voie d'Ossau is a beautiful route and delivers you to Somport from the upper side. Lovely villages, pilgrim heritage (from the top of my head at least two hospices, abbaye laique with a portal depicting the apostles, houses with scallops, hidden skeletons), a thermal spa, beautiful scenery, and a mountain refuge with a lake mirroring the magnificent Pic du Midi d'Ossau (on an alternative route).
Thanks, thats a great suggestion. Is there accommodation options?

I found this French website with a list of accommodation at the bottom : description of the GR108.

It might be more expensive than the gîtes on the Camino and everything might not be open in October but it's an option worth exploring.

this website gives a quick description in English, with a map on google maps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
my stages in 2012: arudy - laruns, laruns - gabas, gabas - ayous (plus up to pic d'ayous), ayous - canfranc.

I slept in gite parroisal in arudy, gite l'embaradere in laruns, réfuge CAF in gabas (doesn't exist anymore but there are a sort of gite d'étape maison des gardes, chambres d'hotes and a hotel), réfuge d'ayous (on the alternative) and albergue in canfranc.
other (pilgrim-and-)randonneur-friendly accommodation options in the valley are here.

Last edited:
The Municipal Albergue Elias Valina is in Canfrac Pueblo, about 4 km downhill from Canfrac Estacion. Of course you could stay in the new parador in Canfrac Estacion. Albergue Elias Valina is newly remodeled and quite fabulous. It is staffed by wonderful hospitaleras. There is a restaurant nearby. Father Valina is credited with extensively researching the Camino routes and starting their identification with yellow arrows in the 1980s. Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The Municipal Albergue Elias Valina is in Canfrac Pueblo, about 4 km downhill from Canfrac Estacion. Of course you could stay in the new parador in Canfrac Estacion. Albergue Elias Valina is newly remodeled and quite fabulous. It is staffed by wonderful hospitaleras. There is a restaurant nearby
It is wonderful!

The night I was there the hospitaleros prepared dinner.

It's a lovely albergue. I'll serve for my third time there in late October, together with my friend and fellow volunteer, Nacho. Dinner isn't normally provided, so pilgrims can buy food from the supermarket in Canfranc Estacion and prepare their own dinner, or eat in the bar next door. But of course, we won't see you starve, and if you find yourself without provisions, we'll always share what we have.. and there's a good breakfast to get you on your way!

Numbers in late October are low, and if the path is still blocked at Urdos, will be lower still, but Somport is a beautiful place to start and is accessible by a thirty minute bus ride from Jaca several times a day. Do stop by and say hello, even if you're continuing on!

I liked the detour from Borce that went along the slightly scary Chemin de la Mâture

DSC_0289.jpg

and then up to the very comfortable refuge d'Ayous by the lac d'Ayous

DSC_0380-1.jpg

And the next day up past the lac Bersau

DSC_0384.jpg

afterwards going over the Col des Moines, where monks welcomed pilgrims over the Pyrennean watershed for a millennium

DSC_0402.jpg

One day longer than walking by Somport, but gloriously lovely, and virtually tarmac-free.

@AlanSykes Where is this detour from Borce? Don't see it on Gronze.
Does it rejoin the Aragones? When did you walk?

@AlanSykes Where is this detour from Borce? Don't see it on Gronze.
Does it rejoin the Aragones? When did you walk?
It isn't on Gronze, although I should do an "al loro" piece for them. You mostly follow the (well marked) GR10 from Borce (crossing the Aspe well before the Fort du Portalet) up the Chemin de la Mâture and on to the lacs d'Ayous. After the refuge d'Ayous, follow the Haute Route Pyrénées up to the Col des Moines, pass the source of the Aragón and down past Puerto Astún to rejoin the main camino at Somport. Two passes at over 2100m up, but no mountaineering needed (although some stamina, as cumulative ascent is over 2000m, but not very long days - 15km Borce-refuge d'Ayous, and about the same on to Canfranc). I walked in early October 2019.

Two days that will live in my memory for as long as I have one.

DSC_0309-2.jpg

This is interesting. So the GR10 passes through Borce? And this is before Urdos where the flood damage is.
Have you link to a map please.
I'm going early October and if this could get me around around the Urdos section easily i would probably do it.

@AlanSykes And the next stage to Somport, is that still on GR10 or does it branch off somewhere

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
You mostly follow the (well marked) GR10 from Borce (crossing the Aspe well before the Fort du Portalet) up the Chemin de la Mâture and on to the lacs d'Ayous.

That sounds like a lovely, if challenging alternative! Just wondering though, if following the road, you leave it before the point where pilgrims are forced to divert through the railway tunnel (as was the case earlier this year)? Looking on google maps, The Fort du Portalet is about halfway along the tunnel.

Just wondering though, if following the road, you leave it before the point where pilgrims are forced to divert through the railway tunnel
The GR10 (Chemin de la Mâture) carries on up the Gave d'Aspe on the Etsaut side of the river, not the Borce side. This is the view of the Fort du Portalet from the Mâture:

DSC_0282.jpg

And the next stage to Somport, is that still on GR10 or does it branch off somewhere

You turn off the GR10 onto the HRP at the refuge d'Ayous. This is mapy.cz of the refuge d'Ayous to Somport (300m of ascent to 600 down). And then an easy descent down the river to Canfranc.

Screenshot_20240915_153830_cz.seznam.mapy.jpg

There was a post here on the Forum to report that the Chemin de Mature has been closed ( this was long before the present landslides). I can't find it now though. I was sorry to see that - that way looks fantastic, and a viable but challenging alternative given the present state of the road.

There was a post here on the Forum to report that the Chemin de Mature has been closed ( this was long before the present landslides). I can't find it now though. I was sorry to see that - that way looks fantastic, and a viable but challenging alternative given the present state of the road.
It says in this article that its been closed since Feb 2020

It was open a couple of weeks ago. Reinforcing the message that it might be wiser not to attempt when rainy.

Two days that will live in my memory for as long as I have one.

View attachment 177702
that is absolutely uncontestably true.
my climb up from gabas to ayous, up to pic d'ayous, up to col de moines will always be one of my most top favourite days on any camino.
I got my fill of chemin de la mature in 2009 as a detour from borce. magnificent.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back