• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

First Camino Frances - Starting 2nd week Oct. Fall advice please!

JaneFall

Time of past OR future Camino
Oct-Nov 2024
Hi Pilgrims!

I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics:

Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday - Oct 12th. I'm expecting everything to be closed so I figure it's the perfect day to tackle the hike up to Roncesvalles.

What's the weather trend for this year? Am I a fool to not bring a warm/puffy jacket? I was thinking a fleece jacket plus my rain coat would be enough...?

Everyone is convincing me it's a wet and cool year. I am currently on the hunt for a mid-heavy weight fleece or sweater to go under my raincoat over my long sleeve merino. I'll probably decide about the puffy based on final pack weight.

I have heard that Sept can be quite busy. Is Oct the same? Is making a reservation for SJPDP and Roncesvalle enough of a plan to then be able to take each town as it comes? I really don't want to have to plan too much ahead.

I've made reservations in SJPDP and Roncesvalles and reached out to a place in Zubrini. May play Pamplona by ear in case I want to take a zero day and explore the city.

Any tips regarding water resupply? Are there any bad water areas to be aware of? Or long stretches without a resupply? Any "safe faucet" signs to know?

Sounds like this is an unfounded concern. Appreciate the reassurance!

As a solo traveller, does it mean I will have to share a double room a lot of the time? What is the process of booking a single room? If available, I assume I can just ask when I arrive?

I chose the 'bunk rooms' for my reservations. Probably will only take the single room as I continue if it's the only thing available.

tyia for any tips and tricks you want to share!

Thanks all, and feel free to keep sending me any advice you think would be useful. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
@JaneFall .

I haven't walked in October so can't really comment on the weather / clothing. But have walked at the early part of the season. I'd suggest one or the other. Fleece or puffy. I wear merino base layer, sleeveless puffy and rain jacket. Though rarely need all three when actualy walking.

It's worth looking at some weather apps to get a sense of historical weather at the time. But that's an indicator only.

I would expect October that bookings are reducing. Though if planning to stop part way on the first day at Orisson or Borda, you will need to book I think. If they are open. (check closure dates for he season) Looks like open to mid-october. https://www.refuge-orisson.com/en They may already be booked out as it's very popular.

There are no 'bad' areas for water. Just use a guide book or app to check where water sources are. The water is normally marked. Potable or Non Potable.

If booking private rooms you are booking the 'room'.
Up to you if you want to share it and split the cost with someone ou meet along the way.

If occupied by more than one person there might be a slight extra charge at some places. (laundry for 2 beds etc)

Welcome to the forum. October-November is a great time to walk the Camino.

What's the weather trend for this year? Am I a fool to not bring a warm/puffy jacket? I was thinking a fleece jacket plus my rain coat would be enough...?
I don't think weather predictions are available a month in advance. I predict a bit of everything, so you should be prepared for that! 😂
I have heard that Sept can be quite busy. Is Oct the same?
No, not crazy like September. I suggest booking SJPP to Pamplona, and then play it by ear.

As a solo traveller, does it mean I will have to share a double room a lot of the time? What is the process of booking a single room? If available, I assume I can just ask when I arrive?
There is no special process. If you want a private room, you can book it through regular booking methods - contacting the establishment, or using a booking service, or showing up at the door to see what is available. You won't be sharing a double room unless you make that arrangement. Beds in dorm-style albergues can often be reserved the same way, but many of them (especially the municipal or parroquial albergues) don't take reservations, so you just show up. A few of the albergues have private rooms as well as larger dorms.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
JaneFall,
For many recent posts re walking in autumn ie October/November see this earlier thread. The days can be golden but you must be prepared for cold. In past years it was my favorite time to walk.

Whenever/wherever you do go Buen camino.

I don't think weather predictions are available a month in advance.
Actually they are. www.accuweather.com for example has predictions thru December. No idea how accurate they are, although the daily predictions are normally pretty good.
As you say, I personally would prepare for a bit of everything.

@JaneFall, Hector is reporting some distinctly chilly starts at present in his 'live on the Frances 'thread. With your start date you're at least six/seven weeks behind. Like so many factors body temperature is very individual, and also depends in part as to what you are used to. Good thermal base layers are important. Mid October I would probably start with one or the other top but be prepared to buy an additional layer en route. Merino Buff, lightweight gloves and a Beanie can make a massive difference to your comfort whilst adding very little weight. (Hopefully you already have those packed). Remember when preparing to leave SJPDP that the weather on the pass can be significantly (10c) colder, check in with the information office for the forecast before leaving.

Tap water in Spain is all potable (it's a very high standard) any water sources that are not are normally clearly marked.

Hi Pilgrims!

I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics:

I have heard that Sept can be quite busy. Is Oct the same? Is making a reservation for SJPDP and Roncesvalle enough of a plan to then be able to take each town as it comes? I really don't want to have to plan too much ahead.

Any tips regarding water resupply? Are there any bad water areas to be aware of? Or long stretches without a resupply? Any "safe faucet" signs to know?

I will prob also start around then, maybe a week earlier. I am taking my puffy since i get real real cold and i also bring a poncho instead of a rainjacket, otherwise i would not bring the puffy but layer the rainjacket with a fleece, like you are suggesting. If you have a longsleeve layer under the fleece even you should be great. Im bringing merino longsleeve, thin fleece layer and the puffy.
Def bring gloves!

might see you around if i am slow with preparing and also dealing with some health issues atm

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Pilgrims!

Hi Jane, I start from Roncesvalles on the 5th October and will definitely take my puffy jacket and rain coat .
After a day's walk I do feel chilly though.

Oct 12 is a national holiday in Spain and people often make that into a longer holiday. This year it is on a Sunday. Be sure you have reservations for that weekend.

Are you only considering private rooms? That may limit available sleeping arrangements. There is a winter Camino website which can help you find a place to sleep that begins in November. The link is https://www.aprinca.com/Subir/subidas/albergues.htm

Many places will begin to close the later part of October.

Walked May and September October!
I wore short sleeve merino t shirt, Mountain hardware Ghost whisperer sleeveless puffy and a Montbell Storm cruiser lightweight rain jacket and an ULA rain kilt
I also take runners arm sleeves(warmers) and merino wool liner gloves!
Wore shorts the whole time if cold or cold wind i put on another t shirt and put my kilt on (covers legs to about 6 inches above my ankle) i wear shorts in the Uk from March till November down to about 5 decrees centigrade.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Walked May and September October!
I wore short sleeve merino t shirt, Mountain hardware Ghost whisperer sleeveless puffy and a Montbell Storm cruiser lightweight rain jacket and an ULA rain kilt
I also take runners arm sleeves(warmers) and merino wool liner gloves!
Wore shorts the whole time if cold or cold wind i put on another t shirt and put my kilt on (covers legs to about 6 inches above my ankle) i wear shorts in the Uk from March till November down to about 5 decrees centigrade.
Thank you for these specifics!! I am also a "most shorts hiker" and was thinking of bringing my rain kilt. No where near the warmth of an actual tartan though so I will think about a warmer layer for wet days...hmm

Oct 12 is a national holiday in Spain and people often make that into a longer holiday. This year it is on a Sunday. Be sure you have reservations for that weekend.

Are you only considering private rooms? That may limit available sleeping arrangements. There is a winter Camino website which can help you find a place to sleep that begins in November. The link is https://www.aprinca.com/Subir/subidas/albergues.htm

Many places will begin to close the later part of October.
Ohh thank you for this information! I didn't know about the national holiday. I was planning on booking 2 nights in SJPDP (I'm flying form West Coast US so I wanna give myself a full day to prepare to walk) and then a night in Roncavalles. I was hoping after that I will be able to play it more by ear but maybe that's a bad thought since more people will be on the trail due to the holiday.. Hmm I will consider. ty!

Edit: Will everything be closed on the 12th? I am considering starting earlier so I might be in Zubiri by then; but should I plan to bring food if I want to walk that day since everything will be closed? Should I make reservations regardless of where I am because of the holiday? I am not only interested in private rooms. I want the full pilgrim experience I was just wondering about the process because I think I will indulge in some privacy every week or so. TYIA for your advice.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Jane, I start from Roncesvalles on the 5th October and will definitely take my puffy jacket and rain coat .
After a day's walk I do feel chilly though.

I don't think weather predictions are available a month in advance. I predict a bit of everything, so you should be prepared for that! 😂

No, not crazy like September. I suggest booking SJPP to Pamplona, and then play it by ear.

There is no special process. If you want a private room, you can book it through regular booking methods - contacting the establishment, or using a booking service, or showing up at the door to see what is available. You won't be sharing a double room unless you make that arrangement. Beds in dorm-style albergues can often be reserved the same way, but many of them (especially the municipal or parroquial albergues) don't take reservations, so you just show up. A few of the albergues have private rooms as well as larger dorms.

thank you for engaging with all my questions! I guess it's not the hottest year on record like last summer :p so I know you're right about taking it as it comes- just wondering if there's any gear I can get away with not taking but it sounds like I need clothing for wet and cold for sure. Everyone is making me feel better about reservations but I might take your advice and pre-plan through Pamplona.

Ohh thank you for this information! I didn't know about the national holiday. I was planning on booking 2 nights in SJPDP (I'm flying form West Coast US so I wanna give myself a full day to prepare to walk) and then a night in Roncavalles. I was hoping after that I will be able to play it more by ear but maybe that's a bad thought since more people will be on the trail due to the holiday.. Hmm I will consider. ty!
Have you looked into booking at Orisson or Borda to split up the walk over the Pyrenees?

Contacting lodgings in advance (WhatsApp text is a great way) is not so much necessary to reserve a room or bed as it is to check that they are actually open. No online resource is completely accurate. Wise Pilgrim often has updates reporting that a place may be closed for the season. You shouldn’t have a problem getting a place to sleep, but if you want to stay at a specific place or there is only one place in town, it is best to try to contact them in advance.
Take the puffy, it’s warm, light and packs small. Consider rain pants at that time of year. I use them a lot when it’s cold and windy even if it’s not raining because they block wind well and help keep you warm. Merino wool base layers are great for sleeping and walking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Have you looked into booking at Orisson or Borda to split up the walk over the Pyrenees?
Thanks for mentioning this! I actually spent today looking at reservations in the different stops for the specific dates (before I buy my flight) and right now there isn't anything available in Orisson for +-2 nights of the date I'm looking for and I do really want to take the Napoleon route so I've kinda decided to bite the bullet and go for a big first day to Roncesvalles. It may be hubris and I know it will be a long one but I'm deciding it will be a nice way to set the tone by knocking out a hard section first thing.

Contacting lodgings in advance (WhatsApp text is a great way) is not so much necessary to reserve a room or bed as it is to check that they are actually open. No online resource is completely accurate. Wise Pilgrim often has updates reporting that a place may be closed for the season. You shouldn’t have a problem getting a place to sleep, but if you want to stay at a specific place or there is only one place in town, it is best to try to contact them in advance.
Take the puffy, it’s warm, light and packs small. Consider rain pants at that time of year. I use them a lot when it’s cold and windy even if it’s not raining because they block wind well and help keep you warm. Merino wool base layers are great for sleeping and walking.
Ohh I hadn't considered rain pants. Everyone is convincing me it's going to be quite rainy so I may look into that.

Thanks for the reminder about WhatsApp - I had heard that before but I had kinda forgotten and was looking solely online. I think based on the comments I'm going to reserve a spot in Roncesvalles and Zubiri but maybe even as far as Pamplona.

Thanks for mentioning this! I actually spent today looking at reservations in the different stops for the specific dates (before I buy my flight) and right now there isn't anything available in Orisson for +-2 nights of the date I'm looking for
Have you looked at Borda?

Or, you can book the Mountain Shuttle from Express Bourricot. You walk about an hour past Orisson the first day, then they pick you up and bring you back to SJPdP. The following morning they take you back to where you left off.

la-navette-du-matin-express-bourricot.fr-1.png

Thanks for the reminder about WhatsApp - I had heard that before but I had kinda forgotten and was looking solely online.
You will still need to search online for accommodations, but you can contact them through WhatsApp. If you use the Wise Pilgrim app it has a handy feature that will compose the WhatsApp message for you.
Here's a post I made about how to use this feature:

The Wise Pilgrim app has a feature that will compose a message for you in Spanish (or Portuguese or French, depending on the route), that makes it really easy.

You just long press on WhatsApp number.

View attachment 165850

Then you choose the date, number of people, and type of accommodation you are inquiring about.

View attachment 165851

And the message is created for you.

At this point I save the number to my contacts.

View attachment 165852

Which is really easy because all the information is already filled out.

View attachment 165853

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Actually they are. www.accuweather.com for example has predictions thru December. No idea how accurate they are, although the daily predictions are normally pretty good.
As you say, I personally would prepare for a bit of everything.

@JaneFall, Hector is reporting some distinctly chilly starts at present in his 'live on the Frances 'thread. With your start date you're at least six/seven weeks behind. Like so many factors body temperature is very individual, and also depends in part as to what you are used to. Good thermal base layers are important. Mid October I would probably start with one or the other top but be prepared to buy an additional layer en route. Merino Buff, lightweight gloves and a Beanie can make a massive difference to your comfort whilst adding very little weight. (Hopefully you already have those packed). Remember when preparing to leave SJPDP that the weather on the pass can be significantly (10c) colder, check in with the information office for the forecast before leaving.

Tap water in Spain is all potable (it's a very high standard) any water sources that are not are normally clearly marked.
Thank you so much! It definitely seems like this year is trending wet and cool so I am adjusting my packing accordingly. There were a few warm things, like gloves, that I wasn't sure about but it sounds like this is the year to bring them. Thank you for calling out Hector's posts - I will be sure to check them out for a more real time trail experience. ty ty!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello all, Been reading all your very valuable posts and advice for a few weeks now in anticipation of starting tomorrow! Can only get a portion of Francés done on this trip (probably as far as...
Hi Pilgrims! I am planning on starting the Camino Frances between Oct 10-13 and I was hoping to get input about a couple specifics: Ticket's are bought and I decided to start on the holiday -...
Hi all, Maybe some can give some advice/helping words for me to actually be able to go do it. I am feeling the need to walk the frances (i originally planned and wanted to do the primitivo for...
Hi everyone - so glad to find this forum. have 4 weeks approx and intend on taking the walk handy enough!! to Santiago, onwards to Finisterre and Muxia. looking forward to it, and meeting some...
I'm sorry if I'm posting in the wrong group. Feel free to move my post. I have walked 7 caminos, always in Spain (well, max 50k in France), the country I love. At the end of october/start of...
September 19, @FallCamino2024, (SJPdP) ✅

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back