Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Finding Accommodation Along the Camino: A Top Tip

Frankybaby66

May 1, 2021
Nottingham
Time of past OR future Camino
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
Top Tip number 3 ? . . .
Avoid looking for accommodation at 'the bottom of that page' in the guide book. Much as I love John Brierly's guidebooks, lots of pilgrims blindly follow the suggested stages, and end up looking for somewhere to stay in the same town/village.
Jus before or just after suggested end point, accommodation is more plentiful.
Buen Camino

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Nov 1, 2012
Salt Lake City, Utah
Frances/Portuguese/Ingles/Sanabre/Frances/Fineste
Top Tip number 3 ? . . .
Avoid looking for accommodation at 'the bottom of that page' in the guide book. Much as I love John Brierly's guidebooks, lots of pilgrims blindly follow the suggested stages, and end up looking for somewhere to stay in the same town/village.
Buen Camino
My wife is the Hospitalero at Ribadiso and they are not nearly half full. Considering the Publik albergues where are you can’t make reservations but you will make friends.

ukjohn99

Nov 13, 2009
Camino Frances 2009 St Jean to Santiago
Top Tip number 3 ? . . .
Buen Camino
Thank you - great tip.

Reactions: Keith H
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

pjacobi

Feb 3, 2015
2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
In my experience, I had no problems finding accommodations on the Briarly stages. I aggressively trained before the Camino and could easily walk the 20-30km Briarly stages, plus a few more "bonus" Kms walking around the town to the church, museums and shopping.

Many untrained pilgrims intend to blindly follow the Briarly stages, then get injured and are forced to limit walks to only 10-15km per day.

-Paul

Aug 19, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Le Puy route 2014, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2022, 2023, +
In my experience, I had no problems finding accommodations on the Briarly stages. I aggressively trained before the Camino and could easily walk the 20-30km Briarly stages, plus a few more "bonus" Kms walking around the town to the church, museums and shopping.

Many untrained pilgrims intend to blindly follow the Briarly stages, then get injured and are forced to limit walks to only 10-15km per day.

-Paul
This is indeed the danger of blindly following guidebook «stages», some of which are way too long for novices / camino newbies or the untrained hiker ... it is the same with many guidebooks not just the Brierley one

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

pjacobi

Feb 3, 2015
2015, St. Jean Pied de Port to Burgos
2016, Burgos to Ponferrada
2017, Ponferrada to Atlantic Ocean
This is indeed the danger of blindly following guidebook «stages», some of which are way too long for novices / camino newbies or the untrained hiker ... it is the same with many guidebooks not just the Brierley one

The option I chose is to train before the Camino, so that I could follow the Briarly stages.

It's sad to see so many people injure themselves, when most problems could be avoided by a little bit of training before the Camino.

-Paul

Madamjoy

Oct 23, 2017
Frances. September 2017
The option I chose is to train before the Camino, so that I could follow the Briarly stages.

It's sad to see so many people injure themselves, when most problems could be avoided by a little bit of training before the Camino.

-Paul
I’m pretty fit and strong, yet walking this Spring on the via de la plata I had an injury and needed time off. It happens to the best of us.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Frankybaby66

May 1, 2021
Nottingham
Last Camino Sep 23 Camino Portuguese (Central)
The object of my post was to share my experience in finding accommodation vacancies by avoiding pinch points along the trail.
It wasn't meant to stimulate a discussion in how some people don't train long enough or hard enough etc.
We all approach Caminos differently, right?
🙃🚶‍♀️

Most read last week in this forum

I did not use Bookings.com during my Camino, but most pilgrims I met did. And from this site it is evident that most people use Bookings at least some of the time. This article is for those of...
Hi all, I have access to data on arrivals of pilgrims to Santiago by day, country, age, gender, departure point, route, reason and means used. Based on this data, I am analysing it to develop a...
Currently I am in Burgos resting up from a knee injury. I am not giving up the possibility of continuing on foot, but in the meantime I would like ideas of options in the event that I can not...
Hi all, just a quickie, Has anyone else noticed that the older you get, the larger the ratio of medication: kit you carry in your rucksack? This time round it appears to be around 60% walking...
....asked me to remind you that May 12 is the Feast of Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
As I watched the aurora Friday night (west coast Canada) I was thinking how wonderful it would be to see it along the camino. Wondering if anyone currently walking or living along the camino saw...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.