• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Find live updates from Gudbrandsdalsleden and St. Olavsleden here!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I'm camping. But tonight there's a dorm in a sports hall and a supermarket nearby. The prices are crazy but if you check your shopping carefully and keep it simple it's about doable. But still way more than Spain.

It's a lot of road walking, but some nice off road sections. I saw a moose today. About the size of a shire horse.

Temperature varies. One morning there was a fine frost on my tent. In the afternoon quite hot and sunny. Light for 24 hours.

Most Swedes speak good English and helpful.

The prices are crazy but if you check your shopping carefully and keep it simple it's about doable. But still way more than Spain.
Wait until you hit Norway... Prices so high, we can barely afford clothing for our children... Many Norwegians actually drive to Sweden for cheap shopping prices...

Train for your next Camino (or keep the Camino spirit alive) on Santa Catalina Island
The prices are crazy but if you check your shopping carefully and keep it simple it's about doable. But still way more than Spain.
To be fair everywhere is more expensive than Spain!
At least free camping is legal in Sweden and Norway. And on the Gudbrandsdalseden you occasionally come across places that are specifically for Pilgrims. I recall one beside a church for example with a camping area, running water and toilets. Free!

The Regional Pilgrim Centers and other pilgrims share advises, tips and updates along the Gudbrandsdalsleden and the St. Olavsleden on these facebook pages:
I highly reccommend you to follow and use them as a communication channel with us. Happy hiking!

Toralf
The Facebook page has been a great resource for me as I planned, and now am on, my walk. All the latest information is posted there, and I appreciate it so much!

I’m having a wonderful time :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
To be fair everywhere is more expensive than Spain!
To be fair, everywhere is cheaper than Norway! Whenever I go on a Camino in Spain, I have more money in the bank when I return to Norway than when I started out! :) Free camping, allright, but food, housing, etc. is crazy expensive. Unlike southern Europe, the climate in Scandinavia is often not welcoming, and the San Olav may require you to pay out for lodging instead of tenting...

21-day forecast for Gudbrandsdalen:

To be fair, everywhere is cheaper than Norway! Whenever I go on a Camino in Spain, I have more money in the bank when I return to Norway than when I started out! :) Free camping, allright, but food, housing, etc. is crazy expensive. Unlike southern Europe, the climate in Scandinavia is often not welcoming, and the San Olav may require you to pay out for lodging instead of tenting...

Oh believe me I'm well aware. I've only visited Norway twice, once was back in the 90s when I had the fortune to have some very nice weather at times - for example when I was on The Lofoten's.

The second time was July 2022. I visited and toured around for a month, I got a few days without rain but not many. I gave up on the tent PDQ. I still shudder to think how much I spent.

Love it though, the people are wonderful and so many things are like New Zealand. Well, aside from the cost and the weather obviously!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

But are there snakes (final CF count was 3 dead, 2 live, including your huge dead silver thing you want to see)? I have ancestors from Sonsteby/Heggen Kirke area and Eidsvol, do any of the trails run near? This one is on the short bucket list, I’ve visited before but would love to walk it. Takk!

But are there snakes (final CF count was 3 dead, 2 live, including your huge dead silver thing you want to see)?
Yes - I saw two dead ones on a road quite close together. One was the largest adder I have seen. Very chunky and only recently killed by the looks of it. On the Gudbrandsdalsleden a little before the halfway point.

Compress_20240706_085045_5578.jpg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes - I saw two dead ones on a road quite close together. One was the largest adder I have seen. Very chunky and only recently killed by the looks of it. On the Gudbrandsdalsleden a little before the halfway point.

View attachment 173903
Norway may no longer be top on the bucket list for places to hike.

Most read last week in this forum

The Regional Pilgrim Centers and other pilgrims share advises, tips and updates along the Gudbrandsdalsleden and the St. Olavsleden on these facebook pages: Hiking Along Gudbrandsdalsleden...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.