• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Excessive heat

VJoy

Time of past OR future Camino
2021,2022 2023 Frances
2024 Portuguese
Currently walking from Lisbon to Porto and beyond....
High temperatures even when starting our walk at 5 am! And higher temperatures forecast for friday and saturday.
Apart from starting earlier in the morning any tips to get us through the next few day?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
High temperatures even when starting our walk at 5 am! And higher temperatures forecast for friday and saturday.
Apart from starting earlier in the morning any tips to get us through the next few day?
Running cold water on your wrists and cold wet cloth to nape of neck can help.

@VJoy, all you can do is cover all the usual suspects : as @ParisOslo suggested purchase an umbrella, continue the early starts, hydrate well, seek shade whenever possible, take more frequent and possibly longer breaks. Take shoes and socks off and soak your feet in cold water whenever possible, soak your hat and/or your shirt at every opportunity (the evaporation really helps). Some soak their buff and lay it over the back of their neck or the wrists - again, for the evaporation.
Remember to eat bananas and salty snacks, and drink fresh OJ or tomato juice (eg Gazpacho) in order to help keep your electrolytes up.
Alternatively consider night walks. Makes it a bit tricky accommodation wise though. Lovely when it's full moon but not really my thing.

Heat is such an individual thing. I've just been out in the same sort of temperatures as the weather apps are showing you're getting ( 30c) and found it hot but certainly not unbearable. Mind you I only walked 10kms and then came home to a nice iced coffee....

Bom Caminho!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
All of the above, plus drinking electrolytes. We found these to be extremely helpful. Trying to be done by noon also helps tremendously. We found that walking after noon in a heatwave was the most difficult part. So, we’d leave before 5 am and try to get as many kms in as possible. Definitely not ideal.

Occasionally buy a cold bottle of water and pour it over your head. This will get your head wet, as well as your torso. It really cools you down for a short time. Don't worry that you have the wet look. At least try it once and decide if it works for you.
I live in the south of the US--I have had episodes of getting overheated while outside and in those instances you do what you have to do--run through a water sprinkler, find a water hose and put it over your head, etc

Use passive cooling by evaporation:

Soak your sun hat and wear it.
Soak one of your (hopefully) several Buffs. Wear it around your neck.
Soak another Buff, double-it, and wear it as a wrist band.
Wear long sleeves, in a light-colored top to reflect the sun.

The comment about using an umbrella (above) is spot-on. The "shade" under the umbrella could be as much as 20° (f) cooler than in the sun. That is the usual reduction when in a trees shade canopy.

HYDRATE, HYDRATE, HYDRATE!

Force drink water if need be, but do not wait until your body says it's thirsty. If you stop sweating in the sun, you have already started to suffer the effects of heat stoke. Get into shade, and soak your head and neck with water, as soon as possible.

Been there, done that, in 2015, I suffered three episodes of sudden onset syncope (fainting) from dehydration on a beautiful 25° (c) day on the Porto to Santiago route - in May. It was a clear sunny day, I failed to heed the signs of oncoming heat stroke, and woke up face down on the senda - THREE TIMES in two days. Scary stuff. But lessons learned.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.

The comment about using an umbrella (above) is spot-on. The "shade" under the umbrella could be as much as 20° (f) cooler than in the sun. That is the usual reduction when in a trees shade canopy.

Force drink water if need be, but do not wait until your body says it's thirsty. If you stop sweating in the sun, you have already started to suffer the effects of heat stoke. Get into shade, and soak your head and neck with water, as soon as possible.

Been there, done that, in 2015, I suffered three episodes of sudden onset syncope (fainting) from dehydration on a beautiful 25° (c) day on the Porto to Santiago route - in May. It was a clear sunny day, I failed to heed the signs of oncoming heat stroke, and woke up face down on the senda - THREE TIMES in two days. Scary stuff. But lessons learned.

Hope this helps.

Tom
This is some good information, thanks!
What would you say, based on your experience, are the warning signs?

I've had a similar episode on the Via de la Plata and it really left me traumatised about walking in high temperatures.

Everyone is different. But in my case, i did not feel thirsty, I stopped sweating and my forearms were cool and clammy. Then I felt lightheaded.

The next memory was waking up face-down: once on my curled-up arm, and another time on my broken eyeglasses. When I say I face-planted, I meant it.

I later found out that these are the classic signs of impending heat stroke and syncope (fainting).

Fortunately, I was not hurt. But, I needed a new pair of eyeglasses. Fortunately, I carry a spare pair.

At the time, as I started increasing my water intake, added Aquarius sport drink when I came into a town, and obtained sports rehydration powder or tablets in a farmacia, the problem did not reoccur.

I put off seeing a doctor until I got home. His diagnosis was "stupidity" based on failure to recognize the signs of creeping dehydration.

I minded his advice, learned my lesson, and have not had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Last edited:
It's August on the Iberian Peninsula, welcome to the hot house! Shorten daily distances, make longer stops in the shade, drink more water, throw water in your face and on your head and down your neck. Use a sunshade attachment to rucksack or very wide rimmed hat, use UV protected long sleeved shirts and trousers, consider using walking gloves too. Apart from that, there is little else you can do. I live in Madrid and the long hot summer is fierce in the city, so out on the Camino it can be an unforgiving experience at times, especially on the more southern routes. Only the coastal routes offer some respite in terms of lower temperatures, cooler nights and sea breezes. However, the UV and heat of the sun are still going to cook you as you walk in the sunshine. Good luck, stay hydrated - not just with water, but take mineral supplements or isotonic drinks too.

Take breaks often (in a shady spot) and drink water with electrolytes. Plain water is not enough.

Pretty much everything that's been said will help. I did Portugués in 2022 in May and it got up to 35°C some days.

I would start early, run my buff through the water fountain and stretch it to cover my neck and top of my head.

I got into a rhythm of walking for 2 hours and taking a 10 minute break.

I had a hydration bladder and it was a lifesaver. If you don't have one, you can easily pick up one at a Decathlon along the way or any sports store. https://www.decathlon.pt/p/bolsa-de-agua-de-trekking-mt500-3-litros/_/R-p-306517?mc=8542254

Drink plenty of water, by the time you are thirsty you are already dehydrated.

Get Aquarius and stash a couple in your pack. When I walked, not all bars / restaurants had some, so I'd buy 3-4 and use them later on the day.

There is no shame on making shorter stages if your schedule allows.

Hang in there! The cool Galicia rain will welcome you once you cross the Minho river.

Bom Caminho!

Soak a towel in cold water, wring it out. If you have time and the facility, put it in a fridge for a couple of hours. Use an umbrella.Bom/Buen Camino .

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
To add to what’s already mentioned- last year in October heat wave -I asked for extra ice when purchasing cold drinks when stopped at bar/ cafe - wrapped the ice in my buff around my neck. Amazing what a difference it made and took a lot longer to melt that I would have guessed. Whole head & hat drenched under water fountains as well - I didnt care I was a dripping drenched pilgrim!
Likely not experienced as hot as you are walking now -so safety first. Take care.

Have your backpack transported. Two people died (young men) on the CF in summer 2022 while we were walking in miserable heat. It's not worth one's life. I'm glad you were okay Tom!

Hope this helps.

Tom
There is a fabulous invention - a body cooling scarf - where a neck scarf has gel in it. You soak it for 30 minutes in water and wear it around your neck. It does wonders in cooking you down - works for hours.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Put me in the same camp as the others based on above posts
  • Start as early as possible
  • walk approximately 2 hours and then take a nice break
    • Continue with short distances
  • Use Water bladder
    • Ask barkeep to fill THAT with ice if possible (Couple of them did it to me - it was puuure magic)
  • Soak your buff or if you have a soft sun hat with water any chance you got
    • if you have an extra Buff (or similar) wrap it around your head and behind it to protect your neck
  • Transport your backpack (yeah I was walking in that 2022 summer heat and numerous people dies - all ages!)
Good Luck and Buen Camino!

Brutally hot on the Via Tolosana today. Started at 6:00 am, drank lots, took other precautions, and made the 30 km from Saint-Gilles to Gallargues-le-Montueux. But very hot. IMG_9987.jpeg

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Supposed to be about 40°C in the region of SJPP today, so it may be a brutal crossing of the Pyrenees for some today. Would be a good day for the valley route for those without a reservation in Orisson.

I struggled with heat on 2.5 CFs at different times of the year - all the suggestions above for protection including electrolytes are great!

My absolute ‘best buy’ was a ‘cold cloth’. It’s a rectangular scarf shape made of fabric that is really cold when wet - I cannot tell you the joy it gave me to run under a tap or fountain and wrap it round my neck. On very hot days I took it in a zip lock bag already wet - even if the water is warm, a few shakes in the air and it’s cold again. 👏🥵🙌

I struggled with heat on 2.5 CFs at different times of the year - all the suggestions above for protection including electrolytes are great!

My absolute ‘best buy’ was a ‘cold cloth’. It’s a rectangular scarf shape made of fabric that is really cold when wet - I cannot tell you the joy it gave me to run under a tap or fountain and wrap it round my neck. On very hot days I took it in a zip lock bag already wet - even if the water is warm, a few shakes in the air and it’s cold again. 👏🥵🙌
Could you share what one you got? I see something at REI, but the reviews are questionable. I leave for Leon in just over a week.

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
Well I got sunstroke yesterday.

Anyone else ?

(though I hear that it was very windy up on the Napoleon route yesterday)

Check how often you're peeing and the colour of your urine. Medical conditions apart, frequent and pale yellow or colourless means well hydrated. Infrequent and darker colours you need to up your fluids intake.

In general, the paler your urine is the healthier it is. The darker, yellow urine is a sign that you need to hydrate more. Clear or near to clear is good. Cloudy or deep yellow colored urine is not as good.

Attached below, is a handy .pdf urine chart that might help illustrate what several contributors are saying.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Attachments

• Urine Chart.pdf
    171.1 KB · Views: 8
Could you share what one you got? I see something at REI, but the reviews are questionable. I leave for Leon in just over a week.
I bought mine back in 2020 - but this looks identical. There are cheaper ones but I think they are more about sweat than cooling. 👍

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back