• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Equipment starting late May

AndyBorba

Time of past OR future Camino
I am starting the Camino Francés the end of May, 2025, and plan on going through to Finesterre, staying in albergues.
Will I be OK with just a sleeping bag liner?
Being late spring/early summer, can I be fine with a long-sleeved shirt, or do I need a jacket?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You could encounter some cool nights, so it depends on how hot or cold you sleep, if there are blankets in the albergue that you would be willing to use, or if you could just wear all of your clothing to sleep in.

I bring a sleeping bag rated for 20⁰C, i.e. indoor sleeping. Not all albergues provide blankets. If too hot, I unzip it. You can probably get away without a jacket if you layer properly. I generally bring convertible pants, and long sleeved shirts whose sleeves can roll up and button up. I would think that on the Meseta in June you will eventually end up in shorts and a T-shirt. But remember that weather in the mountainous regions can vary quite a bit, with cool foggy mornings. Buen Camino!

Perfect memento/gift in a presentation box. Engraving available, 25 character max.
Don´t assume it won´t rain, so a rain jacket is a good idea. If it is cold, you can layer up underneath it. Most albergues provide blankets so a thermal liner should be OK if you really want to travel light but a light sleeping bag if you want to be sure you are comfortable at night. Galicia is a much cooler, and wetter, region than the rest of Spain.

I have used my rain poncho as a cover over my silk liner bag in mid summer in Galicia as a cover. It can be chilly and I would not depend on or use seldom washed albergue blankets if available.

We really can't answer your specific questions without knowing what other items of clothing you plan to take. For example, if you are taking several layers of clothing that will be available to wear at night, the liner might be fine. Same goes for a jacket - what type do you mean, and what would you have available to layer under it?

...and ship it to Santiago for storage. You pick it up once in Santiago. Service offered by Casa Ivar (we use DHL for transportation).
I am starting the Camino Francés the end of May, 2025, and plan on going through to Finesterre, staying in albergues.
Will I be OK with just a sleeping bag liner?
Being late spring/early summer, can I be fine with a long-sleeved shirt, or do I need a jacket?
I did CF SJPdP to Finesterre in late May 2018 with just a silk liner. All but a couple of albergues had blankets, and where there were none I just slept in everything I had with me....including a cold night spent in a Foncebadon refugio's garden shed! Am doing CF again end of May 2025 SJPdP to Muxia and will just have a silk liner. Do what you're happy with. Def take a hoodie/polar fleece/similar and a rain jacket though. Weather has a funny habit of changing when you least expect it, especially in the higher areas! Buen Camino!

If you want to always be comfortable then you might want a sleeping bag, because you might have a few colder nights. But I would bring just the liner. If that's not enough, then look for extra albergue blankets. If they don't have any, start layering on your spare clothes until you feel warm enough.

It might not sound very comfortable, and admittedly it isn't. But once you get used to spartan albergue conditions, it's really not a big deal.

We really can't answer your specific questions without knowing what other items of clothing you plan to take. For example, if you are taking several layers of clothing that will be available to wear at night, the liner might be fine. Same goes for a jacket - what type do you mean, and what would you have available to layer under it?
Honestly, I want to pack as light as possible. A couple t-shirts, a long sleeve shirt.

Ideal pocket guides for during and after your Camino. Each weighs just 40g (1.4 oz).
I brought a silk liner and a lightweight quilt that I used inside the liner. One night they put the heat on at the beginning of June, and other nights I slept in just underwear. You never know!

I walked twice from mid May to mid June on the Frances and this year in May on the Primitivo. I always bring a sleeping bag. There can be some cold nights and weather can be unpredictable. I keep telling the story of how it snowed at beginning of June 2019 at Cruz de Fierro.
If you are comfortable with using the blankets provided from the albergue, you might be OK, even in colder nights, with just a liner. I personally don't trust the blankets and thus carry a sleeping bag (and now: a liner as well, see signature)

Regarding a jacket, same reasoning here. Might be you have nights above 20°C all your journey, but on all of my Caminos i had cold days. Single digits were quite frequent in the mornings. Thus i do not only carry a lightly insulated jacket but also a lightweight fleece (on top of t-shirts an long sleeve). My go-to approach is to be comfortably warm from 0°C and upwards. So far i have not regretted taking those items.
Well chosen, you can still have a light backpack. Either have a look at the 2022 list in the signature or click on the link for my slightly heavier 2024 layout.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m trying to figure out carrying the things I want easily accessible and I know many people wear a waist pack in addition to their backpack, but that just seems uncomfortable to me. What I’d love...
I am sorry if this has been previously asked but I cannot find the answer… my question is: If I feel like I am carrying unnecessary things on the Camino (I am presently walking the Francis), is it...
Hi- amateur photographer here and doing my first Camino starting next week (Frances from SJPP) and have been back and forth regarding taking my smaller Nikon with prime lens set up which weighs in...
Is there anywhere in Santiago that I can donate a backpack, poncho, coolmax sleep liner, Finisterre guide book and an unused credential? I would like someone else to have use of them if possible - ta!
Kathmandu in 2015 made the perfect pair of hiking shorts and then they changed the design and made them all skinny. I have Polynesian tree trunk thighs so I don't want a fitted look. I want...
As we have no hold luggage, I’m having to leave my much appreciated walking poles at home! Can I get walking poles in Sarria (our start point) or should I pick them up in Madrid? I know Madrid...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.