• Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Enough time between flight connections

NJohn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: Sept/Oct 2022
Finesterre Oct 2022
I’ve just been notified that my flight (Iberia) from Madrid to Santiago has been changed to an hour earlier. I will be arriving from the US and now my connecting time between flights is a little over two hours. Having to go through customs and travel from terminal 1 to terminal 4, will this allow me enough time to make the connection? Thanks in advance for your help.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As stated, assuming you are on a thru ticket, you should be fine. Each airline/airport has a minimum connnecting time based on historical data, and you cannot be scheduled for a connection underneath that time threshold. Thry tend to vary from 45-75 mins. It’s an average of course so never any guarantees.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I’ve just been notified that my flight (Iberia) from Madrid to Santiago has been changed to an hour earlier. I will be arriving from the US and now my connecting time between flights is a little over two hours. Having to go through customs and travel from terminal 1 to terminal 4, will this allow me enough time to make the connection? Thanks in advance for your help.
You will be fine. No worries!

So many variables that we cannot control, arriving on time, lines at immigration, but I’m usually pretty comfortable with a two hour connection time. I find that Bajaras is one of the easier international airports to navigate. On my last couple trips into Madrid, and I know this means very little in relation to anyone else’s travel, I’ve made my connections in less than an hour. So, with more than two hours to catch my next flight, I’d feel pretty comfortable that it should all work out. Buen Camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
It may be helpful if everybody (on flights from the USA to Madrid) would state whether they arrived in Terminal 4S and moved to Terminal 4 for their Iberia flight to Santiago or whether they arrived in T1 and had to move to T4 which will be the case for @NJohn.

Going from T1 to T4 means longer transit time and additional security channels to pass through. Going from T4S to T4 is smoother and faster.

I echo @Kathar1na’s suggestion. Transfers and connections in Madrid depend crucially on the airlines you are flying. A two hour connection all in T4 is very different than a two hour connection that requires you to change terminals and check in for your second flight.

Iberia and its partners are the only airlines to use the ultra-modern T4. All other airlines use the older terminals. If you will have to transfer from T1 to T4, you will be switching airline partnerships. And you will have to take an intra-airport bus that runs very regularly but takes 10-15 minutes. If you have two separate tickets, you will have to check in again in T4. Even if it’s all on one ticket, and you don’t have to check in again at T4, you will have to go through the main security in T4,which can be very crowded. I am hoping it is all on one ticket, because I think the connection is very tight. I have made much shorter connections from American Airlines to Iberia Airlines, but it is all in T4, and I didn’t have to go through security again, and I didn’t have to take the airport bus.

Good luck!

Two hours is plenty of time, but I find it is it is also easy to get lost and turned around in T4, even though I've been through it at least a dozen times in hte last 5 or 6 years, so pay close attention to the signs and the movement of foot traffic. (My return in a few weeks is only 1-1/2 hours between arrival from SdC and take off for the US and I admit I'm a tiny bit concerned on that one).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks everyone for these very helpful replies. I don’t have a “through” ticket as several have mentioned, I don’t think. I didn’t purchase the flights together. I purchased a flight to Madrid on United, and then a separate one through Iberia. I think for my peace of mind I may try to switch to a later flight.

I echo @Kathar1na’s suggestion. Transfers and connections in Madrid depend crucially on the airlines you are flying. A two hour connection all in T4 is very different than a two hour connection that requires you to change terminals and check in for your second flight.

Iberia and its partners are the only airlines to use the ultra-modern T4. All other airlines use the older terminals. If you will have to transfer from T1 to T4, you will be switching airline partnerships. And you will have to take an intra-airport bus that runs very regularly but takes 10-15 minutes. If you have two separate tickets, you will have to check in again in T4. Even if it’s all on one ticket, and you don’t have to check in again at T4, you will have to go through the main security in T4,which can be very crowded. I am hoping it is all on one ticket, because I think the connection is very tight. I have made much shorter connections from American Airlines to Iberia Airlines, but it is all in T4, and I didn’t have to go through security again, and I didn’t have to take the airport bus.

Good luck!
Indeed but it’s important to recognise that MCTs are achieved in the vast majority of occasions where a through ticket is issued so it’s better than anecdotal stories. So if the terminal to terminal / different operator MCT is say 90 mins then it will be achieved by a significant majority of customers.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks everyone for these very helpful replies. I don’t have a “through” ticket as several have mentioned, I don’t think. I didn’t purchase the flights together. I purchased a flight to Madrid on United, and then a separate one through Iberia. I think for my peace of mind I may try to switch to a later flight.
In that case you’ve categorically not got a ‘through ticket’

I wouldn’t book a two-hour transfer personally, but if I ended up with one accidentally I’d probably go with it so long as I was in my destination country. Nobody can forecast whether you’ll make it or not.

Last edited:
Update - I am staying with my original ticket. The only other flight is 9 hours later in the day and the cost of switching a ticket was much more than I originally paid. In case there are unforeseen circumstances, I will have the train and bus schedules printed. If all else fails, I’ll get a hotel overnight and try again the next day. I have a two day cushion - meeting my husband after he finishes the Norte, then we travel to Astorga for a 2 week Camino.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. The wisdom of this group is invaluable.

You might want to check with your travel insurance provider whether they have a minimum time between flights not booked on a through ticket beyond which they will not cover missed conexions. I know two hours or less would not be covered on the policy I normally use. Things are different if you are on a through ticket.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
If you’re on a through ticket it’s Iberia’s problem.

As stated, assuming you are on a thru ticket, you should be fine.
Oh I'm sorry but I will disagree. Last year my wife was flying domestically on AA from PHL to Munich via Charlotte
The plane from PHL got delayed because the incoming plane was turned back 1/2-way into the flight.... and it snowballed
Despite this whole situation (both flights are AA, the flight 1 is delayed because of "your issue" and you clearly have passenger coming off and trying to make into Flight 2) the nice gate agents literlly clsed the door in my wife's face.
...After which the plane still sat at the gate for 20 mins....

I would not bet on anything now-a-days!!!!

@TravellingMan22 - yes she was.... the one tomorrow 24 hours later as it was the only flight to Munich per day
They put her up in very crappy hotel, gave her a $12.00 food voucher (!) and afterwards credited extra 5K miles into her account
She basically had to go straight into her business meetings after a 9hr flight - no fun at all...

I know all about closing the gate to meet the ETD - as we all know its bunch-of-c***p! As stated the place sat at the gate for another 20 mins so nobody "departed on time" and IMHO I don't need some pencil-pusher to 'tick of the box' that all is well. it is NOT!

The point Im trying to make is that like it or not being on though ticket does not automatically will get one what he\she need or wants. Yes perhaps you will be put on the next available flight but at that moment its frustrating to YOU and messes up YOUR plans

The point Im trying to make is that like it or not being on though ticket does not automatically will get one what he\she need or wants. Yes perhaps you will be put on the next available flight but at that moment its frustrating to YOU and messes up YOUR plans
That's true, but if you have an unprotected "connection" as @NJohn has, and you miss your flight, there will be no hotel or food provided, and you will be on the hook for a replacement flight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made it on May 1st this year in slightly less time landing in Madrid, and needing to catch the connecting flight to Pamplona. The airport was mayhem, due to the public holiday, and I was pleased/grateful when I arrived to find my pack had also arrived. My initial flight out of NZ was cancelled, and the replacement flight timings had me arriving late in Madrid
One thing to note is that the walk down through the domestic terminal is very long, so don't dally.

Indeed but it’s important to recognise that MCTs are achieved in the vast majority of occasions where a through ticket is issued so it’s better than anecdotal stories. So if the terminal to terminal / different operator MCT is say 90 mins then it will be achieved by a significant majority of customers.
The Iberia MCT from T1,2 or 3 to T4 is 150-165 minutes. For intra- T4 transfers it’s 45-55 depending on whether the satellite is involved. From their website.

The OP has a little over 2 hours (and two separate tickets), so I’d say it would be a very close call, and the idea to rebook the second flight is a good one.

The Iberia MCT from T1,2 or 3 to T4 is 150-165 minutes. For intra- T4 transfers it’s 45-55 depending on whether the satellite is involved. From their website.

The OP has a little over 2 hours (and two separate tickets), so I’d say it would be a very close call, and the idea to rebook the second flight is a good one.
Yes I was booked all the way through with Iberia, separate tickets would make it very tight.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thx yes indeed. Thanks for looking. The OP is not on a thru ticket - if she had then the European sector at two hours later would not have been offered - as under MCT! I think she has been quoted quite a large sum to move to later flight.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Twice I had connections on Iberia and the connecting flight was on Vueling. Both times the gates were at the very end of the T4 terminal. Walking to and (sometimes running) with my backpack on is like a mini camino in itself. It is really far. Once my flight was late coming into Madrid and Iberia gave me a pass that allowed me to go to the front of the line at customs and when I had to check in through security. I had about 1 hour and even without waiting when I got to my Vueling flight it was announcing last call.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just don't "dilly dally" along the way. Your luggage should be sent to Santiago. CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE TO CONFIRM THAT THIS IS TRUE.

All you should have to accomplish at T1 is going through passport control, then finding the intra-terminal shuttle bus at the curb in front.

The terminals at Barajas are widely dispersed. The connection is not walkable, at least in the time you have. T1 is likely several km from T4.

Every time I arrive from the US at T4-S to connect to a Santiago flight in T4, I have to go through airline security after passport control, before I can get the train out to the terminal from where my Santiago flight leaves. So, make no stops at T1 (excepting essential bathroom trips) once you deplane. Proceed directly to T4.

Once at T4, you will find everything you need.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Just don't "dilly dally" along the way. Your luggage should be sent to Santiago. CHECK WITH YOUR AIRLINE TO CONFIRM THAT THIS IS TRUE.
In post #10 @NJohn says that these flights are on separate tickets, so any checked luggage will NOT be checked through to Santiago. Hopefully she is traveling with carry on only.

GOOD point! I missed it. Thank you for the correction and assist.

In THAT case, make haste to collect your baggage and proceed through passport control, thence to the inter-terminal shuttle.

Do not dawdle. Once at T4, you will have to recheck your baggage at the check in desk.

The only exception is if Iberia have an immediate baggage re-check capability at T-1, after you get your baggage. You will need to ask about this.

Best case - you can recheck your checked luggage at T-1 for the ongoing flight.

Worst case - you will have to schlep your luggage from T-1 to T-4, to check the luggage there.

I always fly Iberia or American Airlines into and out of T-4. So, this issue does not occur.

Sorry for the initial misdirection. I appreciate the correction.

Tom

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The most important thing is that the flight is only from Madrid to Santiago. If it was a connection for a much longer, much more important flight (say before traveling from NYC to Madrid) then I would definitely recommend more time.

Ah, reading this thread made me so anxious I had to stop reading. We had an American/Iberia through flight from US to Irun via Madrid with about a 2 hour layover and I was nervous but we had no problems. But luggage was checked all the way to Irun. I can't imagine 2 hours being enough to pick up and then recheck luggage plus the customs you have to go through. Last time we went through the customs line was pretty long for us non-europeans.

One spot left (female, shared room) on the Catalina Island hike. Sign up by Sept 17
Only with a verrrrry long layover for me. Preferably overnight.
I agree.

Mrs HtD thinks I’m over cautious but - because of my long-ago employment I’ve probably taken 50x flights more than she and often spent longer in an immigration queue than the flight took.

Many years ago for a leisure flight one went to a booking agent and the success was their problem. Now as most of us book online with separate airlines ‘we’ stand the risk associated with that extraordinarily cheap airfare.

Other than to near-Europe we usually have an expensive long flight and a cheap short flight. If it’s in that order, I’m relaxed. I could buy another short haul ticket without selling a kidney.

The other way round short followed by long and I’ll even overnight to take risk out of the connection. ideally there would be a spare scheduled flight after the one I’m taking to still make the connection.

Caveat: I’m retired, the concept of vacation doesn’t exist. Every day is just another great day and it could be anywhere. The only consideration is Henry the (actual) dog’s lodging - which on Camino often costs more than mine.

Ah, reading this thread made me so anxious I had to stop reading.
I think that anyone who is worried about connection times in Madrid should focus on their own particular ticket and their own particular situation and not worry about others.

@wynrich had a perfectly adequate two hour connection time because they were arriving in T4S with a transfer on a 4-minute high speed train to T4. This was all booked on one ticket, meaning that there was no need to leave the secure area. The security checkpoint that @wynrich went through was within the secure area and did not require leaving the secure area; it is a special line for connecting passengers. For @wynrich’s combination, the minimum connection time is 55 minutes, so there was more than an hour cushion.

@NJohn’s situation is different from @Wynrich’s in two significant ways. First of all, the arrival will be in T1. That means leaving the terminal, taking the bus over to T4, checking in again, going through main security lines, and making it to the T4 gate for the flight to Santiago. Second, @NJohn has two separate tickets, meaning that the whole check-in procedure in Madrid starts from scratch. For that scenario, two hours is cutting it extremely close. In fact, Iberia would not sell you a single ticket with this short of a connection time. As the link in an earlier post of mine showed, the minimum transfer time for this situation is 155 or 165 minutes.

First piece of advice — If you are going to fly from Madrid after arrival on an international flight, buy a single ticket. That way you can be sure that the ticket meets the minimum connection times, and can also be sure that the airline will rebook you in case of delays.

Second piece of advice - if you are nervous about connection times, and if you are unfamiliar with the Madrid airport setup, take some time to understand the layout. As others have noted, tickets will not be booked with less than the minimum connection time, but knowing where you are going in the airport can make the difference between a missed flight and a close connection.

Bottom line here is that it is impossible to answer the question whether two hours is an adequate connection time without knowing more about the particular scenario. In some cases it’s a comfortable connection, and in others it is unlikely to be possible to make.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
First piece of advice — If you are going to fly from Madrid after arrival on an international flight, buy a single ticket. That way you can be sure that the ticket meets the minimum connection times, and can also be sure that the airline will rebook you in case of delays.
Especially important when schedules change, as happened in the OP's case. If the tickets are bought on one through itinerary and flight schedules change, the airline(s) will change your tickets for free if the connection doesn't meet the Minimum Connection Time.

I was notified yesterday that my flight from Santiago to Madrid had been changed to an hour later and now this gives me 1 hr and 5 minutes to connect in Madrid to my flight to the US. When I contacted them to see if I could get an earlier flight, I was told that because there was more than a 45 minute layover, they would not do it. Now I'm really concerned!!! I can only hope that my flight from Santiago to Madrid will not be delayed. I've been to the Madrid airport and it is huge! I've got my fingers crossed!

I was notified yesterday that my flight from Santiago to Madrid had been changed to an hour later and now this gives me 1 hr and 5 minutes to connect in Madrid to my flight to the US. When I contacted them to see if I could get an earlier flight, I was told that because there was more than a 45 minute layover, they would not do it. Now I'm really concerned!!! I can only hope that my flight from Santiago to Madrid will not be delayed. I've been to the Madrid airport and it is huge! I've got my fingers crossed!
I would definitely not be happy with that connection before an international flight. But, if it's all on one ticket the airline has the responsibility to put you on the next available flight if you miss it, and provide meals for a long delay and a hotel if an overnight stay is required.

The EU has better protections for passengers than the US. In addition to the duty of care to provide you with meals and accommodation, you can be due compensation for the delay.

For example:
If you arrived at your final destination with a delay of more than 3 hours, you are entitled to compensation, unless the delay was due to extraordinary circumstances.

I was notified yesterday that my flight from Santiago to Madrid had been changed to an hour later and now this gives me 1 hr and 5 minutes to connect in Madrid to my flight to the US.
I have made a connection like this many times. You will arrive in T4 and go straight to T4S on the train. No need to exit the secure area, no need to go through security.
Now I'm really concerned!!!

Try not to worry. Keep in mind that there are lots of options if there is a delay and they need to rebook you — lots of flights to the US from Madrid, and lots of options through London and other European capitals. I know that’s not ideal but the main thing is to get home safely!

I have made a connection like this many times. You will arrive in T4 and go straight to T4S on the train. No need to exit the secure area, no need to go through security.

Try not to worry. Keep in mind that there are lots of options if there is a delay and they need to rebook you — lots of flights to the US from Madrid, and lots of options through London and other European capitals. I know that’s not ideal but the main thing is to get home safel

Try not to worry. Keep in mind that there are lots of options if there is a delay and they need to rebook you — lots of flights to the US from Madrid, and lots of options through London and other European capitals. I know that’s not ideal but the main thing is to get home safely!
Thank you for your encouraging words! I am trying not to worry about it....

I was notified yesterday that my flight from Santiago to Madrid had been changed to an hour later and now this gives me 1 hr and 5 minutes to connect in Madrid to my flight to the US.
I routinely have had 45 minutes connection times arriving from Santiago to Barajas. The airport is huge and yes it’s tight. Just hit the ground running and find your gate. Remember in Barajas the information boards are listed by original time of departure. Just go and get on that flight!

Update - I am staying with my original ticket. The only other flight is 9 hours later in the day and the cost of switching a ticket was much more than I originally paid. In case there are unforeseen circumstances, I will have the train and bus schedules printed. If all else fails, I’ll get a hotel overnight and try again the next day. I have a two day cushion - meeting my husband after he finishes the Norte, then we travel to Astorga for a 2 week Camino.

Thanks again for all your help and advice. The wisdom of this group is invaluable.
You can try and get your luggage booked through to Santiago when you check in with United. If you can check it all the way through that will be the clincher. The luggage checkin process in Spain is the slowest I have ever encountered. ( I heard Kenya is worse).

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know what or why the RENFE website is NOT listing any train service from MADRID to LEON (or onward to OVIEDO) after October 9?? I am trying to travel from Madrid to Oviedo (via Leon)...
So annoying! I booked the train in June ready for travelling tomorrow and I got this message yesterday. It seems the 15:20 train I was booked on from Bayonne to SJDP tomorrow has been cancelled. I...
I hope I am posting this in the right subject section. My annual multi-trip travel insurance has a limit on the duration of any one trip of 45 days. Any claim must include evidence of departure...
Two Trains SNCF at 6am and 8am from Bayonne to SJPdeP got cancelled 12.09 . And we are going to start our France tomorrow 12.09, maybe someone has the same problem and wants to share taxi in the...
Hola todos! I’m trying to find the best way to get from Leon to Sarria where I will start my walk. For context, when I decided to stay in Leon for a few days before my walk I saw that there were...
Hope I am posting at the right place -- five of us will complete the Camino and plan to rent a car, drive to Tui, then drop off the car there, and walk aross the bridge to Vanlensa and pick up a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back