• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ebro Zaragoza to Logroño

henrythedog

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Annually - often more - from 2014
Just got a pass-out for eight days; Mrs HtD still being a little unwell - but improving - so by hook or by crook I’m going to do this stretch of the C Del Ebro.

A automobile, ‘plane, train, train, automobile kind of day will see me in Zaragoza later this evening and we’ll go from there.

I’ll probably just write a summary at the end, but it’s likely to involve a few long days and - in extremis - a short train trip as the route, conveniently is accompanied most of the way by a train track; although trains are infrequent and true to RENFEs tradition, too early or too late.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All the best!
Alagon and Gallur are sleepy towns but I like the vibe of these small places.

Leaving Zaragoza is also quite straightforward.

Private rooms, daily bag transfers, 24/7 support, & more. Save now during our sale!
After a very long day via Barcelona I’m trying to get the Zaragozan licenced trade back on its feet and solve the Torreznos surplus for them. It’s worth the effort of getting here. I just managed to get to the Basilica before they knocked off to get a sello so I can set off promptly in the morning. Meanwhile I’m going to see if anyone in Barrio El Tubo remembers me from earlier in the year

@SabsP gave me a great recommendation for Gallur. The restaurant in the Hotel Colono is one of those places with an inexpensive but superb menú del día that comes with a decent wine.

Meanwhile I’m going to see if anyone in Barrio El Tubo remembers me from earlier in the year
Hope you make it out of El Tubo in one piece, @henrythedog.

Older and wiser (ahem!) I’m out of El Tubo whilst the locals are still arriving. I was recognised by a few - apparently I look like there’s no way I could possibly speak Spanish, and the memorable part is that I can.

I take very few posters recommendations without reservation but a joint recommendation by @peregrina2000 and @SabsP is as close to three peregrina michelin stars as a recommendation can be and so, having spotted it in previous posts, I’m (unusually) booked in to the Hotel Colono in Gallur on Saturday night so that I can comment on breakfast and dinner and - if I get on with it - lunch. I booked over the phone,with nothing in writing, but I didn’t get the impression it would be packed-out.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well that all passed off peacefully.

I do recommend Barrio El Tubo. Very busy from 20:00 onwards with a good mix of traditional and more inventive bars and restaurants.

29k to Alagón today. Inevitably flat, the route follows a river and train line, with mountains in the distance to the west and a high escarpment to the east.

The weather’s excellent, cool in the morning, although I’ve been walking into a steady wind all day which does slow me down and is very dehydrating.

Saw two German peregrinos in Alagón, but that’s it. Lovely really.

The villages en-route are typical small-town Spain, quiet but with sufficient infrastructure. I managed three sellos en-route, although other enquiries drew a blank. The route marking is sparse but sufficient if you’re happy to follow your nose and have the ‘Camino sense’ to recognise a likely path when you see it.

Alagón is splendid. Large by local standards, but with a sense of calm and order. I’m in the ‘Los Angeles’, which is clean and simple. The restaurant is well regarded, so I’ll put that to the test. In the meantime I’m having a few scoops at the Bar Riga, in shorts and a t-shirt whilst the locals are dressed for the arctic.

A slight mishap en-route as I thought it was time for a ‘nice sit down’; which together with infinite tea was my paternal grandmother’s idea of a day well-spent, but I digress.

What appeared to be a nice soft friendly plant amongst the twigs and rocks, wasn’t. It’s highly evolved method of seed distribution involved detaching hundreds of the damn things with adhesive and micro-hairs. It had obviously been waiting years patiently for some idiot to sit on it, and wasn’t going to miss the chance.

So, my arrival in Alagón required an emergency visit to the Pharmacist for a pair of eyebrow-tweezers and a solid hour extracting spiky seeds from my shorts and my ‘person’, for want of a better euphemism. It’s a good job I’m still reasonably flexible and I packed my reading-glasses.

All well at home, which is as it should be, Henry the Actual Dog in the dog hotel - slightly more expensive than my accomodation; and Mrs HtD continues towards full recovery; no doubt with the heating full-on. A small price to pay for being let off the lead on a regular basis.

Gallur tomorrow where the El Colono awaits; then the distance steps up.

Well that all passed off peacefully.

I do recommend Barrio El Tubo. Very busy from 20:00 onwards with a good mix of traditional and more inventive bars and restaurants.

29k to Alagón today. Inevitably flat, the route follows a river and train line, with mountains in the distance to the west and a high escarpment to the east.

The weather’s excellent, cool in the morning, although I’ve been walking into a steady wind all day which does slow me down and is very dehydrating.

Saw two German peregrinos in Alagón, but that’s it. Lovely really.

The villages en-route are typical small-town Spain, quiet but with sufficient infrastructure. I managed three sellos en-route, although other enquiries drew a blank. The route marking is sparse but sufficient if you’re happy to follow your nose and have the ‘Camino sense’ to recognise a likely path when you see it.

Alagón is splendid. Large by local standards, but with a sense of calm and order. I’m in the ‘Los Angeles’, which is clean and simple. The restaurant is well regarded, so I’ll put that to the test. In the meantime I’m having a few scoops at the Bar Riga, in shorts and a t-shirt whilst the locals are dressed for the arctic.

A slight mishap en-route as I thought it was time for a ‘nice sit down’; which together with infinite tea was my paternal grandmother’s idea of a day well-spent, but I digress.

What appeared to be a nice soft friendly plant amongst the twigs and rocks, wasn’t. It’s highly evolved method of seed distribution involved detaching hundreds of the damn things with adhesive and micro-hairs. It had obviously been waiting years patiently for some idiot to sit on it, and wasn’t going to miss the chance.

So, my arrival in Alagón required an emergency visit to the Pharmacist for a pair of eyebrow-tweezers and a solid hour extracting spiky seeds from my shorts and my ‘person’, for want of a better euphemism. It’s a good job I’m still reasonably flexible and I packed my reading-glasses.

All well at home, which is as it should be, Henry the Actual Dog in the dog hotel - slightly more expensive than my accomodation; and Mrs HtD continues towards full recovery; no doubt with the heating full-on. A small price to pay for being let off the lead on a regular basis.

Gallur tomorrow where the El Colono awaits; then the distance steps up.
If only! If only... if only I could record my guffaws! You are such a howl!
Ps or edit: and rightly so, that Mrs HtD would have the heating full on. 😈

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A slight mishap en-route
I’d trade your mishap for mine any day. I left Zaragoza with what I later figured out were tracks that had been recorded before the (at that time) new train station had been built. I wound up trapped in an endless mess of blocked-off dead ends, concrete barriers, barbed wire — it was awful. I later realized that the new exit from Zaragoza was simple and straightforward, but I had not experienced it that way.

I didn’t stay in Alagón (being a peregrina at that time who tried to stay in albergues, so I stayed in Torres de Berrelén), but I remember several beautiful mudéjar churches in Alagón. And the real benefit is that by cutting off 6 km from tomorrow’s walk to Gallur, you can probably arrive at the Colono in plenty of time to have a good menú del día.

Hoping you are finished with the tweezing operation.

Yes, the new exit from Zaragoza is splendid, a well-constructed riverside-path

The train station could be seen from orbit, it’s huge though largely uncontaminated by trains.

I’ve finished the tweezing; but the proof of my success, or otherwise, will come in the morning when I risk reinserting a tender portion of my anatomy into the danger area.

Dinner at the Los Angeles is fine - a menu del tarde, which is satisfactory at €15; although it reminds me that when the UK gave so much to the world (or took so much, depending on your perspective) the making of tea and decent butchery skills didn’t make the shortlist. My thin beef chop, whilst tasty enough, obviously came from an animal which wasn’t giving up easily.

There must be two menus; whilst I was trying to figure out how one could slice so thinly from a huge, and obviously old, animal the chap next to me had just taken delivery of a steak that should have been a two-man lift. I probably need to start dressing better.

There are three or more Mudéjar churches here, one of the largest - San Antonio - with a possible early Goya. They’re brick-built on a first course of stone. One which I can just see, but cannot name, has a tower of Islamic design, although I was told it was built by Muslim builders (I’d insert a Duke of Edinburgh quote here, but best not) but wasn’t part of a mosque.

Last edited:
I guess much depends on what you ask for. I thought I’d requested a beef chop: inch thick maybe, L shaped bone, a cut near the T bone perhaps…IMG_2268.jpeg

The resulting near 1kg of Galician ex-cow lasted two days and the bone would’ve made a serious beef-tea if I’d had a pot and some inclination

Edit: I’d been giving my best at that for some time before I decided it needed a permanent record

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I guess much depends on what you ask for. I thought I’d requested a beef chop: inch thick maybe, L shaped bone, a cut near the T bone perhaps…View attachment 178569

The resulting near 1kg of Galician ex-cow lasted two days and the bone would’ve made a serious beef-tea if I’d had a pot and some inclination

Edit: I’d been giving my best at that for some time before I decided it needed a permanent record
T’was a chop; but at €15 for three courses including wine my expectations were modest; just not quite modest enough.

I’ve no complaint, everything is going very well - it’s simply that the staff missed out on a premium sale, which is most likely my fault for travelling prepared to lose everything I’m stood up in.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Most read last week in this forum

Just got a pass-out for eight days; Mrs HtD still being a little unwell - but improving - so by hook or by crook I’m going to do this stretch of the C Del Ebro. A automobile, ‘plane, train...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.