• ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Remove ads on the forum by becoming a donating member. More here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Easiest section

auburnfive

Veteran Member
A small group of former co-workers ( early 70s) plan to walk on the Le Puy route next year for 12-15 days. One of our group has a few physical challenges, so we are planning days between 12-20 k only. Any suggested for which section? We have done routes in Spain and Portugal, but some of our group speak French so we are temped by the le Puy. Thank you. Any other advice is welcome

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I dont know if the physical challenge only concerns stagedistance or also the difficulties of the trail. The first part up to Conques is beautifull but hard, because the trail goes up and down many valleys. After Conques it gets a little bit easier ( though the climb out of Conques is probably the hardest one of the Via Podiensis. For possible stagedistances you can check for instance the gronze website or buy the Miam miam Dodo guide ( if available I would opt for the ebook version)

I suggest investigating the route from Livinhac-le-Haut to Lectoure. Probably 11 - 14 days depending on your walking capacity. However, if you are a group, I strongly recommend reserving your gites in advance on that route. Bon Chemin!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Because of the amazing start in the Cathedral in Le Puy ( at the early morning pilgrim’s mass…stay to the end) I would suggest starting in Le Puy. Le Chemin de St Jacques is a wonderful Way. I walked it in 2022 and 2023 and am now finishing the Camino heading to Santiago. Bon Camino.

I agree that the start of the Via Podiensis after the early pilgrimsmass is the most special start of the caminos I know. In my diary I wrote that it reminded me of the moment that cows in spring for the first time are released into the meadows : they jump for joy of being able to run again
That being said the fact stays that the stages of the first 2 weeks are the hardest stages of the Via Podiensis.

I am currently on the Voie du Puy, having also walked it in 2018.
This time my wife joined me. She has walked both the Camino Frances (from SPPdP) and the Camino Portugese (from Lisbon) in the last two years, and is a physically fit 60-something.

She found the section from Le Puy to Conques very difficult and professes that she would not have managed it alone. Indeed at Conques she left me to it and will probably return to the CF next year. The character of the way is repeated ascents and descents, sometimes on loose rock and stone paths. The views are excellent and ever changing but you pay for them!

The section from Lectoure onwards is certainly less demanding, but also less beautiful in terms of landscape. You might consider some stages of the Voie du Tours?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked Le Puy to Figeac this year and this is definitely not a route for the faint hearted or bodied. I headed to Spain after Figeac :)
However, it gets easier after Figeac. Figeac to Rocamadour is a variant you can walk or do as a side trip by train. Highly recommended.

Not sure what the best / easiest sections are after Figeac (certainly NOT the Cele Variant). There is a great Le Puy/ GR65 Facebook page - full of experts on this route and I am sure they will have more specific answers.
Definitely book your gites for the group.
Bon Chemin

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All - I just booked flight to Lyon and depart in 10 days as prices have finally dropped ! I have a list of accommodations etc... but would be grateful for any tips, favourite gites, wild...
When do the gîtes close in the fall? I would like to start in October and may still be walking during November if I become injured and have to slow down. I’ve walked the Camino Francés in the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back